‹ Prequel: Cigarette Daydreams

These Four Words

006

January 12th 2012
New York City, New York
5:45pm


I looked in the mirror almost unable to recognize myself. I touched my bleach blonde hair that was curled and slightly pulled back. My eyes that normally were rich in browns and blacks were replaced with blue colored contacts. I wore a pair of black skinny jeans and a cobalt long-sleeved v-neck that made it look like I had boobs. I looked nothing like Erin Taylor and I looked nothing like Ophelia Taylor. I turned towards John, “Do I go by another alias now?”

“I think pretending to be two different people is enough work.”

I turned back to the mirror still not believing the reflection that looked back at me. “Do I look like Erin?”

“Somewhat but he will probably play if off as his mind playing tricks on him.” I nodded my head satisfied with the answer. “You probably do not want to hear this but I think it would be a good opportunity for you to reconcile with him.”

“You are right, I didn’t want to hear that.”

“Well good luck.” I stopped checking myself out and turned to face John.

“Thank you for your help.” I gave him a quick hug.

“You had me worried when your assistant is blowing up my phone about your mini meltdown at the office. I knew it had to be serious. By the way, why did you have me listed as emergency contact?”

I looked right into his green eyes, “You are the only family I have in New York.” My phone dinged letting me know the taxi I had called was here waiting for me. “I’m scared.”

“Be confident and don’t let on to anything.” John rubbed my arms trying to give me a pep talk. “Short and sweet interview.”

“Short and sweet.” I nodded and threw on my jacket. I began to nervously pick at my nails and my jacket sleeve, a habit I thought I had dropped. I wouldn’t do this for any other person than Jason. I hopped into the back of the cab and he took off leaving John and my safety behind.

The hour-long drive went by faster than imagined, mostly because I spent it worrying about the worst thing that could happen at this studio. I hope there were witnesses here just incase this went south. I thanked and paid my cab driver before making my way up the walkway to the record company. A very pretty redhead greeted me when I walked through the large double doors.

“Hi, how can I help you?”

“Ophelia Taylor, I’m interviewing All Time Low.” She typed a few things in her computer before standing up.

“Follow me.” She led me down a long hall way before stopping at the last door on her left. She unlocked it and held the door open for me. There was a large black leather couch that had a camera pointed at it and then a smaller chair across from the couch for me to sit. The room was a warm caramel color that seemed to calm me down a bit.

“Everything is already set up. Some questions are on that coffee table but the interview is basically up to you. I’ll send the band in.”

I nodded my thanks and took my seat, picking up the sheet of questions. I took deep calming breaths trying to remember that if I looked terrified they would know something was up. The door opened and my heartbeat quickened automatically. They all looked basically the same; Alex got rid of that pink streak in his hair and Rian and Zach looked much more muscular. I stood up smiling putting off the fact that this could go very south very quick to the back of my mind.

“Hello boys. My name is Ophelia and I will be your interviewer today. I am going to do my best to make this a quick and painless as possible.” They boys eyed me perplexed. I knew they saw the similarities, especially in my voice but I hoped they would get over it. Nobody was moving and Alex looked like he saw a ghost, I needed to do something fast.

“Why don’t we all get settled?” I made a motion over to the couch and they followed one by one, not being able to take their eyes off of me. This was a bad idea. I pressed the play button. “Start off by introducing yourselves.”

“I’m Rian.”

“I’m Zach.”

“I’m Jack,” There was a small pause and Alex shook his head.

“And I’m Alex we are the band All Time Low.”

“So lets talk about what is on everyone’s mind, your new single.”

“Well it’s called Something’s Gotta Give.” Zach answered.

“And its inspiration?”

“It is about living a monotonous, fake life. When you wake up a realize that it was all a lie.” Alex answered and I felt as if a burning knife was going through my heart but he was watching me and waiting for my reaction.

“Seems very harsh for a song that represents such a revolutionary album.” I quipped.

“Well it’s not all about that,” Rian injected nervously laughing and shooting Alex a look. “It’s about waking up one day and really looking at your life and how you ended up there and then realizing that you need help to change.”

“May I ask who or what this realization was about?” I internally cringed knowing I was crossing a line but I dying to find out.

Alex shot me a dirty look, “The person who inspired this is completely irrelevant.”

I nodded my head, “Fair enough. So when can fans expect the whole album?”

“We haven’t decided an official date yet,” Jack responded. “But our fans can expect a release around March and April.”

I smiled, “There is an incredible about of hype surrounding this album. Personally I can’t wait to hear it.”

“We are very lucky and blessed to have to much support and lo—“

“You don’t seem to be the type that listens to our music,” Alex interrupted Rian.

I nervously laugh, “I tend not to judge a book by its cover.” I hit some buttons on the recorder, “And I can delete that from the tape.”

“Thank you,” Rian sent a look towards Alex and I pretended not to notice. “As I was saying we are very lucky to have so much support and love from our fans. The new and the old.”

I nodded my head, “So tell me more about Future Hearts.”

“It’s definitely different from what we produce in the past.” Ryan answered.

“The fans can expect some surprise artist in some songs on the new album.” Alex pitched in.

“Well you guys are well up on your way to having another successful year,” I pushed back my hair that feel into my face.

“We wouldn’t be anywhere without the support of our family, friends, Hopeless Records, and of course our fans.” Jack told me.

“Well this interview is not supposed to last very long,” I laughed and stopped immediately. Alex would know my laugh; I didn’t dare make eye contact. “So is there anything else you would like to add to this interview?”

“Alex and I are in love and are getting married!” Jack stood up screaming adding the touch of humor that All Time Low brought to all of their interviews. “And on a more serious note thank you to everyone and we hope you enjoy our new single almost as much as we enjoyed making it.”

Everyone else nodded their heads in agreement adding their own versions of thanks. I smiled again and stopped recording. “Thank you guys for coming in. It was great meeting you all.”

“If you don’t mind me asking, where are you from?” Alex eyes held a glimmer of hope. He wanted Ophelia to be Erin so bad.

I began packing up the things in the room even if it wasn’t my job; it gave me something to do so his eyes wouldn’t bore into my soul. “Born and raised in the city.” Jack coughed awkwardly and tried to get Alex to leave.

“Hold on.” He told him growing frustrated. “You look like this girl I used to know.” I stood up facing him.

“I’ve been told I had one of those faces,” I shrugged my shoulders. “I don’t know what else to tell you.” He searched my eyes looking for any clue but my cold heart wasn’t going to give him anything.

“I’m sorry.” He looked heartbroken, “I was so very rude. She just uh hurt me I guess.”

“I’m sorry to hear that.” I put on my jacket and grabbed my bag. “I need to get going, you guys have a safe drive back to your hotel.”

“Come out and have drinks with us!” Jack invited me with a smile. Maybe to help his friend Alex realizes that Ophelia wasn’t Erin, or maybe because he was fucking crazy. I am going to go with the later.

“Uh no thank you.” I walked out the room and they followed.

“Can we at least give you a ride back to the city? I’m assuming you probably live in the city.” Alex begged.

“I can take a cab.”

“It’s really not that big of deal.” Rian added with his signature smile. “It saves you like sixty bucks.”

I considered the offer, “I’m not going out for drinks!” I told them with a stern look and regretted it almost instantly. They smiled and agreed and I knew this was just the open door Alex needed to find out who I really was. We walked outside and climbed into their rented car. Zack jumped in the drivers seat and Rian took the passenger seat leaving the back row for Jack, Alex, and I.

“What part of the city do you live in?” Zack asked as he threw the car into drive.

“Midtown but I can always walk from where you guys end up going.”

“It’s not a big deal, I can drop you off in Midtown.”

“Thanks again for the ride guys,” I nervously crossed my legs.

“So Ophelia do you like working for AP?” Jack asked.

“I actually don’t work for AP.”

Alex shot me a weird look; “You just do random interviews for them?”

“I actually work for Vogue. I was doing a friend a favor.”

“Friends in high places, huh?” Rian joked.

I shrugged, “Grew up around him. Guess he trust me enough to deal with you guys.” The boys laughed.

“So tell us more about yourself, Ophelia.” Alex encouraged and I shift uncomfortably.

“Nothing much to tell, honestly.”

“Surely someone as beautiful and successful as you has something better than that.”

I looked at Alex and gave him a small smile, “I’m pretty boring. My life is a lot of work and then more work. Tell me more about you guys though, I don’t want to end up writing an article of a band I hardly know.” I lied through my teeth. I did know them and I didn’t need to write an article.

“Well we are originally from the Baltimore area,” Rian offered.

“That would explain the Ravens jersey,” I looked over at Jack with a smile and he laughed.

“We are the coolest motherfuckers you will ever meet.”

“How so?” I quested with a slight grin.

“Well once you are friends with us, you never want to leave.”

I laughed, “Are you sure about that?”

“Only one heartless bitch ever left our group.” Jack told me confidently. “But that’s off record.”

I nodded my head speechless. They couldn’t have known that it was me, and I mean I changed a lot in three years. I hardly looked like I did when I left them.

“Where exactly do you live in Midtown?” Zack asked as we quickly approached the city.

“Take a left at the second light,” Zack hung a sharp left causing me to lose my balance and momentary grab Alex’s leg to keep balance. I removed it quickly blushing and offering my apologizes. “Straight for another mile and then it’s the old brick building next to a Starbucks.” The car was silent for the three minutes it took to get to my building. Zach pulled up to the side and put on the flashers. Alex got out so I didn’t have to climb over him and offered his hand to me so getting out of the cramped car would be easier. I took it graciously, “Thank you.” I smiled towards him. “And thanks for the ride. You guys enjoy the city.” I walked quickly towards my building not waiting for their replies. I was so fucked if they realized who I was. They now knew where I worked and where I lived.

ALEX’S POV

I climbed back into the car putting on my seatbelt. “She looks so much like her,” I sighed knowing it was on all of our minds.

“It couldn’t be though,” Rian reasoned. “She probably got her degree and moved to France. I mean who would go through the trouble of changing their name just to avoid an EX?”

“Besides she was way hotter than Erin.” Jack laughed trying to bring some humor to this situation.

“She had the same laugh, the same look when she got irritated, and the same nervous habits. It can’t be an accident.”

“You really think Erin would have actually interviewed us? Hell even if it was a favor she couldn’t sit through something like that without revealing to us who she was.” Jack urged him to forget but it was almost impossible. As crazy as it sounded that had to be his Erin. I just fucking knew it. Her hair was dyed and those had to be colored contacts. Sure Ophelia acted nothing like Erin would have but a person changes a lot in three years.

“You’re right.” I laughed trying to be convincing. “I don’t know what has gotten into me.” I was going to find out who this “Ophelia” was and nobody was going to stop me.

“The engagement probably.” Zack snickered and I rolled my eyes. I knew they hated my fiancé but I was getting to the age were being single wasn’t normal. I needed to settle down, even if she was considered the devils mistress.

“I need a very strong drink,” Rian commented and we all agreed. As we pulled away from the street I looked back and noticed Ophelia looking out her window right at us. I had a gut feeling that she was the girl I’ve been looking for.
♠ ♠ ♠
A long chapter because I felt bad for neglecting this story for so long.
KidsFromYesterday182 Alex is back ;)
So this will probably be the only time you EVER see Alex's POV, just so you can get a glimpse into what he is thinking and of course it moves the story along a bit faster than just hearing how paranoid Ophelia/Erin is.