We Can't Run From Fate

Chapter 6

Zack had just put Grace to bed when the front door opened; slowly the sound of footsteps reached him.
“Hey Al...”
He stopped when he saw the look on Alex’s face. There were tears on his cheeks and his eyes red rimmed, like he’d been crying for hours. He was swaying on his feet and just looked exhausted.
“Alex, what happened?” Zack asked, pulling the boy to couch before he collapsed.
“I told Jack,” he muttered.
“Told Jack what?”
“About Grace,” he whispered his words barely auditable.
“Oh... I’m guessing he didn’t take it well.”
Alex shook his head.
“He walked out, just left without a word.”
“Fuck, Alex I’m so sorry.”
Zack put his arm around Alex’s shoulders to try and comfort his friend. The world hadn’t been kind to Alex, from taking the girl he loved; to trying to raise his little girl all alone but Zack had thought Jack would be different. He thought Alex had finally found something that would be okay.
“What do I do now?” Alex asked.
Zack had always thought soulmates were a sure thing. He thought they saw each other and that was it but Jack and Alex’s relationship was more rocky than most. He was about to try and say something reassuring when a small shadow appeared at in the edge of the room.
“Gracy, what are you doing up?” Alex asked.
“Bad dream,” she whimpered, hugging her teddy bear.
“Come on; let’s get you back to bed.”
Alex got up to pick up his daughter and hold her close to his chest.
“Well I better go,” Zack said.
“Night Zack, thanks for everything.”
Zack wished he had more to say, his words hadn’t exactly been inspiring but it was late and he knew Alex had work in the morning.
“Night Alex, don’t worry you’ll work it out.”
Alex just nodded as Grace waved sleepily at him. Zack couldn’t help smiling; she was such an amazing little girl, just like her father.
“So, what was your dream about?” Alex asked, tucking Grace back into her bed.
“There was a scary monster in my closest, he was trying to escape,” she said, pulling her princess blankets up around her.
“Let’s check shall we?”
“No Daddy!”
Alex pulled open the closest doors but of course the only thing inside where Grace’s clothes.
“Nothing in here... Oh wait.”
Alex climbed in and looked out at his daughter laughing.
“I think there’s something in here now.”
“Daddy it’s you!”
“See there’s no room for monsters,” he said, getting out and closing the doors behind him.
“No monster?” she asked.
“No monster, now how about you go back to sleep?” Alex asked, kneeling down beside her and playing with her messy hair.
“Story first!” she demanded.
“Oh you want a story?” he teased.
“Goldie locks please,” she asked, giving him her best smile.
Alex had never been able to resist that smile, whether it was to stay up a little longer or to eat ice cream for breakfast. Sometimes he wondered who was really looking after whom.
“Okay, Goldie locks it is”
Grace shuffled up on the bed as Alex got the book, making room for Alex to sit beside her. Grace loved cuddling why Alex read to her, it reminded him of all the days he’d read to her before she born.
“Once upon a time there was a family of three bears who lived together in a little cottage. There was a Daddy bear, a Mummy bear and a baby bear. Every day there would have porridge for breakfast. Mummy bear would put the porridge on the table to cool and the bear family would go for a short walk.”
Grace was beginning to drift off with her head resting on Alex’s stomach.
“One fine day they set off for their walk, just as usual. But there was trouble just around the corner! Coming down the path was a very naughty girl. Her name was Goldie locks...”
Grace had fallen asleep, curled up next to Alex and well he simply didn’t have the heart to move her. Watching as his little girl slept peacefully he smiled, even when his world was falling apart she’d always make him feel better.

It had been three days since Jack heard Alex’s secret and well... He missed him. His phone had been silent and Jack found himself constantly checking it. He wanted to hear from Alex but he knew he didn’t deserve that. He knew how much of an ass he’d been but truth was he was scared. He’d never had a deal with children before and well he didn’t know how. The idea scared him, he didn’t want a family. He just wanted to have fun.
When Jack’s phone finally buzzed it had been five days. Alex’s name flashed across the screen but he didn’t pick it up straight away. He waited and it buzzed again, Alex’s name still on the screen with a message underneath. Choosing instead to pick up the tv remote and flick through the channels. Jack wasn’t sure he was ready to see what Alex had to say, he missed Alex more than he wanted to admit but part of him was still mad. Finally his phone started ringing, a picture of Alex lighting up. He couldn’t avoid the boy forever and it was obvious Alex wasn’t going to give him any peace until they’d talk.
“Hey Alex.”
“You took your time.”
“So did you,” Jack replied.
“Look Jack, I know that I should’ve told you about Grace but I was scared,” Alex admitted.
“It was a bit of shock, I thought there might be something you weren’t telling me. But I thought you were fucking someone else, I never expected you to have a kid.”
“Well I do, I’m sorry for the secrets and I guess I hope we can move on.”
“I don’t know Alex...”
“What do you mean?”
“I can’t do kids,” Jack said, running a hand over his face.
“What are you saying?”
“I don’t want kids, I’ve never been a family person. Hell until you came along I’d never been on a real date. I like being free.”
“Are you really saying this? I like you Jack, I’ve been having the best time and you’re going to throw it away because I have a daughter? A daughter you won’t even meet.”
“I can’t Alex, I’m sorry.”
“Sorry that’s all you’ve got? It was your idea to even try this!” Alex yelled.
“I know and if I knew I wouldn’t have! I should never have started.”
“You regret us just because of this one thing?” Alex asked in disbelief.
“We both thought the whole soulmate thing was bullshit, what did we think would come of it?”
“I don’t know I was starting to...” Alex couldn’t finish, he couldn’t tell Jack how he was feeling.
“Sorry Alex.”
“Fuck you! You’re not sorry.” Alex snapped.
“I have to do what’s best...”
“Yeah for you! Try thinking of someone else for a change. Either grow up or fuck off.”
Alex hung up the phone, tears in his eyes as he threw his phone across the room.
Jack lay back against his couch and thought about what he’d just done and who it really was best for.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi guys,
Sorry this isn't the most exciting chapter, I've got some good stuff planned so don't worry!