Status: Just Starting

A Stark Love

Two

“Mr. Grey, here are the files you asked for. I also called Mrs. Hendricks about the home in Washington and she said it was still on the market. She’d like to know if you want her to put a bid on your behalf or to wait.” A young red headed woman quickly spat as she walked alongside Mr. Grey. He said nothing, taking the files from her, as they walked down the long hallway. His hand raked through his hair, a tick he committed to when deep in thought, “I want the floor plans in detail by each level of the home and a model of what she plans to do with it afterward. She doesn’t make a bid on that house until I see all of it.”

The woman jotted the demands on a notepad as Mr. Grey pushed open the door to his large office. She stood in the door frame of his office, not daring to move an inch further, “Anything else you’d like me to get you, Mr. Grey?” He tossed the files on the desk as he moved to the glass walls of his office, “That’s all, Lizette.” The door closed swiftly at his order, his eyes examining the city that surrounded him. His mind was in deep thought when he heard the intercom, “Mr. Grey, there is a Vincent Grey here to see you.” He let out a deep sigh as he moved over to the telephone, pressing the intercom button, “Send him in.”

Mr. Grey pulled his chair out and sat down promptly just as Lizette opened the door for his guest. Vincent’s eyes lit up as he strode into the room, his hands in his suit pants pocket. His hair was disheveled as were his clothes, a lipstick stain on his white collared shirt gave him up, “Well, Hello. Am I interrupting?” The question was rhetorical, of course, as Vincent sat in one of the chairs before his desk. “Why are you here, Vincent?” Mr. Grey asked, annoyed. Vincent playfully winced, his hand covering his heart, “Jesus, Dem. Can’t a guy come and see his baby brother.” Demetri’s empty gaze did not change, “No.”

Vincent rolled his eyes as he leaned back into the chair, “Fine. Look, Mom wanted me to come over here and convince you to come to dinner.” Demetri looked puzzled, sitting back in his leather chair, his left arm resting on the armrest while the right laid flat on his desk, “She could have called me for that.” Vincent sat up straight, becoming a little more serious and professional, “It’s at the Stark’s home. They’ve invited the whole family and Mom really wants us all to be there.” Demetri’s eyes widened for a moment before returning to the slightly less empty gaze, “I’m not going over there. I’ve told you all that.” Vincent sighed heavily, frustrated, “Why not? We grew up with them, Dem. You can spare one night out to just have a damn dinner with them.”

Demetri’s face contorted, becoming angrier, “I said ‘No’. They don’t want me there.” His jaw clenched as he stared down at the glass table of his desk, “She doesn’t want me there.” Vincent’s eyes softened some as he rubbed his face hard, “Dem, you guys haven’t spoken since you up and left to start up this place.” His arms waving around at his office, indicating the company as a whole, “That was six years ago. I don’t think Sunny holds grudges.” Demetri shut his eyes hearing her name again. Vincent sighed, softer this time, “Look, I think it’ll be good for you to go. It’s not just for her, alright? What about Caius and Elias? The Stark’s are our family, too.” Vincent stood up, pulling Demetri from his thoughts, “Just think about it, okay?”

Demetri nodded, exhaling sharply. Vincent smiled and shook his head, “Take it easy, baby brother.” He then turned on his heel and headed straight out of his office without another word. Demetri leaned back into his chair, his eyes focused on the wall as he submerged himself in deep thought. Back to where he pushed her away. Back to when he felt it was all too much. Back to when he made his mistake.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Demetri opened the door to the apartment with a sigh of relief. Home. He was home. He shut the door behind him, dropping his briefcase by it as he shrugged off his suit jacket. The apartment was cleaned and orderly; a scent of jasmine was in the air, “Baby?” He tugged at his tie, undoing the top two buttons of his shirt as he entered the bedroom, “Baby?” He called out again. He heard the sound of water sloshing about from the bathroom and a soft voice, “I’m in here, Dem.” He dropped his tie on the bed as he walked to the bathroom seeing Sonja lying back, her feet perched on the edge of the tub. He smiled wickedly, eyebrow raising, “Comfortable?”

She bit her lip lightly and smiled brightly at him, “How was work?” Demetri rolled his eyes as he walked into the bathroom, sitting on the edge of the tub, gazing down at her, “It was tiring.” She tilted her head back, the high bun on her head secured tightly, as a few loose strands hung down her face, “I’m sorry, Dem, but work is work.” She edged her foot over to him, tapping him lightly, “Why don’t you join me?” He smirked at her, “Miss. Stark, you are incredibly forward today.” She placed her foot back on its perch, “Have to get all my loving in before I leave tomorrow morning.” Demetri stared at her unique eyes, the emerald and ocean blue colors turning sad as they gazed back at him, “Right.” His voice was faint as he broke her gaze, exhaling, rubbing his hands together.

Sonja sat up in the tub, hand placed on his back, “You could come back for awhile – work from home for a bit. I’m sure you’d be fine. Most of the time your own your phone anyway and then-” Demetri stood up quickly, whipping around to look at her, “Why do you always do that?” Sonja froze, her eyes wide as she gazed up at him, “Dem, I’m just saying you could come back home-” He threw his hands up into his hair, raking through it roughly, “I don’t need to go home. I don’t want to go back home. Why don’t you just stay here? Why does it always have to be me going back there?” Sonja’s eyes displayed the sting the slap of his words brought to her, “Because that’s where our family is. That’s where my job is. I can’t just keep coming over here whenever you decide you want me here.”

Demetri shook his head, “So that’s what this is about? You’re still pissed about me telling you when to come here? Are you fucking serious, Sonja?” Sonja stared at him bewildered, “Why are you getting this angry with me? All I did was suggest you visit home more often?” She stood up in the bath quickly, snatching a towel from the rack as she stepped out, “Why do I always have to come to you? Why can’t you come to me? I’m always following after you.” She wrapped the towel around her body tightly as she walked past him into the bedroom. Demetri turned and followed after her, his fury growing, “I actually work on a schedule, Sonja. I have a company to run – I’m trying to get it off the ground still. I can’t go out and waste money to go see you while you’re painting circles.”

Sonja jerked her head up to look at him, her mouth agape as tears threatened her eyes. For a brief moment Demetri’s face softened seeing the punch of his words taking such a hard blow into her. “That’s what you think I’m doing? Sitting around painting circles pretending I have a job while you’re out here being a big hot shot potential CEO?” She hissed through her teeth as she shrugged on a pair of jeans. Demetri’s face contorted back into fury, “I’ve told you for years how I wanted to start up this company. This has been the most important thing to me – why can’t you see that?” Sonja slipped on a loose white t-shirt over her head, pulling the bobby pins from her hair, letting it fall over her shoulders. Her face was livid, “Oh, I know it is, Dem. You tell me all the time how you have to focus on your work – how it’s the most crucial thing to you.”

She pushed past him as she snatched up her luggage and slid it across the floor to the front door, “Your work, your colleagues, your investors are all important.” She hissed through clenched teeth as she quickly slipped on a black pair of flats, “And I’m a careless girl who paints circles.” Sonja glared up at him, eyes full of rage, “Why do you even bother with me? Why even reach out and tell me all these stupid things about caring for me? Why bring me out here if this is all you’re going to do?” Demetri’s gaze was cold and distant, “I don’t know.” She winced under his words and the uncertainty that held them was agonizing to her.

Sonja’s eyes swelled up with tears as she stared up at him, “Do you even want me here, Dem? Am I just a way to pass time for you when you’re bored? Do I even mean anything to you?” Demetri shook his head, looking away from her, “Sonja…” He sighed roughly, “Look, I enjoy having you here when we aren’t like this. You’re such a great friend but-” She stepped back from him, tears falling down her cheeks, “I’m a friend?” Demetri leaned on the door frame of the bedroom door as he looked down at her, shrugging, “Sunny, I told you that I don’t do relationships. I mean, I love you and all – you’re the best friend I have. I just don’t do-” Sonja raised her hand up to stop him as she looked down at the floor, the tears falling rapidly.

She turned on her heel and headed to the front door, scooping up her luggage as she went. Demetri moved quickly, arm stretched out slamming the door shut as she attempted to open it, “Sonja, come on. Don’t be so overdramatic.” Sonja looked up at him, her rage and hurt fully displayed on her face, “Overdramatic?” She shoved his chest hard, making him stumble back slightly, “You have flown me out here over the last year and I’m still your ‘friend’?” She spat the word as if it was venom in her mouth. “You tell me you love me all the time. We have sex. We’re always together, but I’m just your ‘friend’?”

Demetri’s shoulders slumped forward, as he shook his head, sighing, “Sonja…I told you how this was going to be from the beginning, I’m sorry you misunderstood.” She slapped his cheek hard, his face turned to stare at the door momentarily before he turned it back to look at her. “Overdramatic for you now?” She hissed as she opened the door and slammed it behind her. Demetri clenched his jaw as the stinging from her words and the slap radiated within him. He leaned against the door for another moment, exhaling sharply as he slowly moved back to the bedroom.

Over the next four months he attempted to contact her. Sending letters, e-mails, calls – all to no response. No one in the family knew about their arrangement on either side. It was just “another friendly visit” to them. After four months he decided to give her space and let her come to him.

She never did.
___________________________________________________________________________________

“Mr. Grey?”

Demetri snapped out of the memory, clicking the button for his intercom, “What?” The words were like daggers to Lizette as she quickly replied, “Sir, your 1 o’clock is waiting for you in conference room three.” Demetri took in a deep breath as he pressed the button again, “I’ll be out in a moment.” He let his head fall back in his chair, his jaw clenching ever so slightly as he thought about what he had done compared to his brothers words. They all echoed together, haunting him.

Dem, you guys haven’t spoken since you up and left to start up this place.

Demetri stood swiftly as he walked quickly to the door, throwing it open, marching towards the conference room with Lizette at his heels. He quickly buttoned his suit jacket, smoothing the fabric as Lizette opened the door for him. “Gentlemen, I’m sorry to have kept you waiting. Shall we begin?” He said cooly. One of the men smiled out of fear and got up to start the presentation. Demetri sat at the head of the table, his chin cradled in his hand as he watched the presentation.

Why do I always have to come to you? Why can’t you come to me? I’m always following after you.

“The projections for the next quarter should be raised by another 10% if were able to secure the merger between Aldright and Welles.” Demetri stared blankly at the PowerPoint slide, the others around him nodding and taking notes from the presenter. The presenter’s words morphed into nothing as the memory played out in Demetri’s mind.

Do you even want me here, Dem? Am I just a way to pass time for you when you’re bored?

A new screen of graphics and charts appeared at the wave of the presenter’s hand. The numbers and acronyms morphed into one as he called them off quickly. A man to his left questioned the predictions of the revenue they would receive from the presenter. The others nod in agreement with him wanting a more detailed explanation.

Do I even mean anything to you?

Demetri shut his eyes for a moment as he slowly inhaled. The pain in her voice still ringing in his ears after all these years. When he opened his eyes again all eyes were on him. Demetri leaned back in his chair, a stiff nod, “We’ll need to increase our funding to get the merger completed. See what we can do about that, Mr. Farrows. Otherwise, I’ll have to be on my way. Will someone take the liberty of sending me the PowerPoint so I may review it again?” It wasn’t really a question as he knew that they all would. The man to his left, now identified as Mr. Farrows, nodded to him, “Yes, sir.”

Demetri walked out of the room with Lizette following quickly, her heels clicking rapidly as he moved back to his office. He walked back to his desk, gathering his personal items and briefcase, “Forward the notes from the meeting to me, Lizette.” He called over his shoulder as she stood in the door frame, “Move my appointments for tomorrow to Friday. I’m going to be taking the next two days off from the office to work from home.” Lizette looked shocked, her eyes wide as she stared at him, “Uhm.. Yes, sir. Is there anything I can do for you?”

Demetri shook his head no, “Thank you, Lizette.” She moved from the door frame, being dismissed, as he walked past her swiftly to the elevator. As he stepped in he pulled out his cell phone, sliding it open and clicking a few icons before holding the phone to his ear. Demetri stabbed at a button on the door for the parking garage, the descent immediate under his touch. “Hello?” a voice called over the phone.

“Mom, it’s Demetri. What time is the dinner?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you all enjoy!