Status: Just Starting

A Stark Love

Four

Sonja was in the midst of completing another painting for one of the many people who were now calling her frequently. She was receiving so many calls that she had to hire an assistant. Matthew was a very reliable assistant and was stern on her behalf to lay down the law. He was also her number one fan which humored and humbled her. Her fingers sticky and dry from the paint she mixed, rubbing the sweat from her forehead with the back of her hand. Her hair was piled on top of her head, long strands of hair falling from it to shape her face. “We’ve got another for Mrs. Drummond.” Matthew said in the door frame of her art room. The large logo of her studio to the side, smiling with a happy little fox leaning lounging next to the words, “Little Fox Art”. Sonja smiled and threw a thumb up at him to acknowledge his statement. He smiled brightly at her and walked away from the door back to his office to complete the order.

Sonja smiled to herself as she mixed another palette expertly, thinking of how lost she would be if it weren’t for him. He was so organized, smart, charismatic…handsome, strong, and lean. She shook her head, laughing lightly to herself as she hushed the thought away. She didn’t feel anything in that way for him, but he was sure pleasing to the eye. Sonja placed the palette on a small table next to her canvas, wiping her hands on an already filthy towel. Matthew’s footsteps were distinct as he walked back to her art room, “Looks like you have another admirer.” He walked into the room with a large bouquet of lilies and tulips, placing it on a desk near the door. Sonja smiled, elated, as she looked at the bouquet, “Oh my god! They’re so beautiful!”

She walked over quickly to the flowers, lightly touching their delicate petals and taking a slow, deep breath of their scent. Matthew snatched the card as Sonja turned the vase slightly left, then right, until she found the perfect angle. “Congratulations on all your success. You deserve every bit of it. Hopefully Rachel doesn’t toss these out too. Sincerely Yours, Demetri Grey” Matthew said, eyebrow raised, nodding his head impressed, “I didn’t know you were friends with Demetri Grey. That dude is rolling in money.” Sonja’s body tensed as she let his words settle in. They were from Demetri? She exhaled slowly trying to steady her breathing once more, “We’re not friends. We just…” She waved her hand in the air, stumbling for the words, “We…My brothers are friends with him.” She said simply as she walked away from the flowers to her canvas.

Matthew shrugged lightly as he tossed the card on the desk, “Do you want me to send a ‘Thank You’ card?” Sonja laughed lightly at his question, shaking her head, “Oh no. That won’t be necessary.” Matthew leaned against the door frame, his blue eyes sparkling as he watched her, “You sure? Would be a little rude if you don’t?” She looked around her canvas at him, nose scrunched, “Ugh…” Matthew laughed at her expression, pushing himself from the door frame, “I’ll send it right now.” Sonja rubbed her fingers on the dirty towel once more and shook her head, “No, um, don’t do that. Could you just bring me my phone?” Matthew nodded slowly, unsure, “Of course.” He walked away quickly to grab her phone from the office, bringing it back and placing it on her desk. His hand cradled the door frame, “You sure?” Sonja smiled at him and nodded, “Thank you, Matthew.”

Matthew nodded slowly again, tapping his hand against the door frame as he walked away, calling over his shoulder, “Let me know if you need anything else.” Sonja didn’t respond as she glared at her phone, turning her attention back to the canvas. She should have known he sent them. It was a common bouquet that he would send to her during their time together – whatever the hell that was.

I told you I don’t do relationships.

Sonja picked up her paint brush and made small strokes on the canvas, dapping into the paint every now and again as she thought over everything. Why even send them now? Did he feel some type of guilt? Was this his sorry ass way of apologizing for the last six years? For the constant yanking of her emotions during their life?

I love you and all – you’re the best friend I have.

Sonja’s jaw clenched as her mind forcefully revisited the memory. What’s the point of even sending something? Why not just text her a “Hey, Great job on the circles, Friend”? That’s all that she was to him anyway – why even go through the trouble of having his little minions do the work?

I’m sorry you misunderstood.

That was the problem with Demetri – even before they attempted into the realm of “More”, he had been ungodly complicated. He always claimed she misunderstood him. His actions would scream for one motion and then his words which switch to another. It was a constant whiplash – their relationship. She let her paintbrush drop into a jar, rubbing her hands on her jeans roughly as she walked towards the desk. Sonja picked up the phone, sliding her finger across the screen to awaken it as she searched for his number. She shut her eyes for a moment, mulling over the words she would say when, and if, he picked up.

A simple, “Hey, Thanks for the flowers, Friend. So happy you dig my circles, Friend. Bye, Friend.” She shook her head, beginning to feel frustrated as she attempted to tuck the painful memory away. Her finger tapped the screen, commanding it’s call to him, as she held the phone to her ear. She paced the room slowly, bypassing her paint shelf and a few rags on the floor. The phone continued to ring as she skipped over a paint can – failing. She tripped, falling to the floor as the phone slid away from her.

“Grey.”

Sonja scrambled to pick herself up and scatter for the phone.

“Grey.” The voice said, annoyed.

Sonja snatched the phone up, pressing it to her ear, “Shit, Sorry. Damn thing,” Sonja kicked the can as she sat up, Matthew now at the door frame. He held up a thumbs up, his faced questioning her status. She forced a smiled and waved him off to leave her. He eyed her strangely, shaking his head as he walked away, “Yeah, sorry. Uhm, you there?” The line on the other end was silent for a moment, processing what was going on, “Yes.” Sonja stood up quickly, her free hand smacking away at her jeans getting rid of the excess dirt, “I just got your flowers.” He stayed quiet once more before replying, “Did you? How do you like them?”

Sonja walked back to her stool, in front of her canvas, sitting as she glanced over at them, “They’re beautiful. Thank you.” She heard him exhale lightly, relaxing, “Glad to hear it. I assumed your taste in flowers would remain about the same.” Sonja nodded her head, “Well, nothing gets passed you…” His nose let out a harsh push of air, a stifled laugh, “Guess not.” The conversation felt so painfully awkward. The two of them saying all the things they didn’t want to, and dying to say all the things that were needed. “Well,” Sonja said simply, “I just wanted to call and say ‘Thank You’. I appreciate the sentiment.” Demetri was silent again, thinking, “Of course. It’s a big accomplishment you’ve made, Sonja. You should be very proud.” She smiled softly to herself, “Yeah, it’s all great. Thanks.” Demetri took in a deep breath, “It was wonderful seeing you again, Sonja.” His voice was small for a moment as he whispered the words into the phone.

Sonja sat up straight, her hand picking at the threads that frayed around her jeans, “You too.” Her chest began to swell again making her bite her lip in resentment. “Have dinner with me.” Demetri said. It was a statement – not a question, very much him. Sonja sighed, her head falling back, “Demetri, I don’t think that’s such a good idea.” He was silent once more attempting to process her words, “Just for a night. One night.” Sonja shook her head to herself, her free hand matting into the hair piled on her head, “Demetri…There’s no reason for it. I don’t need your sympathy.” Her voice becoming small as she spoke to him. She didn’t want him to throw her a bone because he felt sorry for himself with the way he left it. They were friends – or whatever. If he wanted it that way, then she would stay where she was to commit to that – if she even could.

“Sonja, let’s just have dinner – like old times. Please.”

Her heart lurched after his words, desperately pleading with her brainy side to just say yes – take a chance, for God’s sake. Sonja picked her head up, eyes shut as the words flowed, “Fine. Dinner. When?” Demetri’s tone didn’t change, serious and calculated, “Friday. I’ll have a flight set up – you can stay the weekend if you’d like.” Sonja shook her head, sitting up straight, “I’ll come up for the dinner, but I will not be staying for the weekend. Text me the details. I have to go.” She could almost feel the smirk that was on the other end of the phone, “Goodbye, Miss. Stark.” She sighed a little too heavily into the phone, irritated, “Goodbye, Mr. Grey.” As they hung up the phone, Sonja shook herself off and continued to finish the painting she had been working on as she took steady glances to the flowers on her desk.

Demetri stayed at his desk, staring down at his phone on the table, contemplating his next move. So far, so good. The dinner was the easiest part to get her to agree to, now it was time to figure out how to get her to listen. Among many wonderful traits Sonja displayed (beautiful, intelligent, caring…etc), she was not without her faults. The main fault that anyone who knew her worth a minute would claim would be: stubborn. She had a hard time listening to others directions and always remained determined to defy it – initially or not.

Demetri was pulled from his thoughts hearing the familiar “PING!” of his computer, alerting that he received a new message. He sighed for a moment, tapping the mouse pad of his laptop to awaken it and was surprised to see a message from a “Sonja.Stark@littlefoxart.net”. He adjusted himself in his seat, hands ready over the keys as he quickly ordered the letter to reveal itself.

------------------------------------------------------------
From: Sonja Stark
Subject: Update your e-mail addresses
To: Demetri Grey

Dear Mr. Grey,

I’m e-mailing you at your company address assuming you still use that thing. This is my new e-mail address. Make a note of it.

Sonja Stark
Little Fox Art
------------------------------------------------------------

Demetri smiled lightly as he read the e-mail over and over again. His fingers lightly tapping to resurrect words to write back. He took in a deep breath, as his hands began typing away quickly. He tapped the enter button awaiting her response.

------------------------------------------------------------
From: Demetri Grey
Subject: RE: Update your e-mail addresses
To: Sonja Stark
Miss. Stark,

Noted.

I failed to mention that the attire for our outing will be upscale – more formal, I would say. Wear appropriate attire.

Demetri Grey
CEO, Grey House Inc.
------------------------------------------------------------

On the other side, Sonja was happily laying about her couch at home eating a small pint of ice cream. She heard the “PING!” of her computer, pulling it to her, and rolled her eyes at his response. Her fingers tapped away violently and smacked the “ENTER” key.

------------------------------------------------------------
From: Sonja Stark
Subject: RE:RE:Update your e-mail addresses
To: Demetri Grey

Dear Mr. Grey,

I’ll do my best, Your Majesty.

PS: Shouldn’t you be working?

Sonja Stark
Little Fox Art
------------------------------------------------------------

This casual banter made Demetri relax – it was so comforting being able to speak with her again. It was almost as if time had never stopped for them – an idea he quickly was growing fond of. He tapped his fingers on the keys as Lizette poked her head through the door, “The board room is all set up, Mr. Grey. They’re all ready for you.” Demetri glanced at the door, irritated that she was invading his little world, “I’ll be out in a minute.” Lizette nodded quickly and shut the door softly. Demetri tapped the “ENTER” key, shutting the laptop and quickly moving towards his office doors.

Sonja continued to refresh her inbox, annoyed with herself that she was a little too eager to see his response.

“PING!”

------------------------------------------------------------
From: Demetri Grey
Subject: All Work and No Play…
To: Sonja Stark
Miss. Stark,

I could say the same to you, but I’m not an expert of the life and times of the working artist in this day and age. Always testing my limits, Little Fox.

I’ll e-mail you the flight plans now that I am able to actually e-mail you and know you’ve received it. I have a board meeting to attend to.

Demetri Grey
CEO, Grey House Inc.
------------------------------------------------------------

Sonja shook her head, smiling ever so lightly at his use of her nickname. He seldom did use it, but when he did it always tugged at her heart strings. She sat up straight as she thought of his comment about her finally “receiving” his current e-mails. It dawned on her that there might be just a chance she could finally see those e-mails he sent years ago. She quickly pulled up the old university e-mail site she used from years ago. She was certain that it was closed down by now, as they sent e-mails to everyone claiming that it would be closed after they graduated. She typed in her e-mail and password and awaited the response.

Username/Password is not correct! Please try again!

She sighed heavily as she shut her laptop slowly. She half expected to see the message but a side of her hoped it would be different. What she would give to see those e-mails – to know exactly what he had been like after she left. He didn’t say much to it when they were together and it was always hard to read Demetri. He waivered so much, you’d be lucky to be in the same universe on a subject. Sonja leaned into her couch, watching the movement on her television as she sat and began to ponder what on Earth she was going to do, or say, to him that Friday.
♠ ♠ ♠
:)