Status: Ongoing

Save Me From Myself

Secrets to Keep and Lies to Tell

Austin’s POV

He slurred, “Hey, bitch. How’s my dear, ol’ son?”

Austin quaked in fear, unable to move from his spot. His legs felt like lead and were heavy. His father reeked of alcohol and Austin was sure he was high. When his father was drunk or high, he was ten times more dangerous than if he was sober. His father staggered up to Austin, a shit eating smirk on his face.

“I...it’s your fault she’s dead, y’know. All your fault!” He threw a bottle that was in his hand at Austin’s head. It collided in the back of his head, leaving a trail of blood in its wake. Austin saw his vision go blurry, felt his head becoming fuzzy. It all felt like a dream, but he knew it was real. His father wailed on him. Punches to the head, kicks to the gut, and at some point, his father had gotten a knife and sliced him down his stomach. Austin was in so much pain, he didn’t know how much longer he could keep hold of his consciousness.

When the beating finally stopped and his father jumped in his car to go pick up some whore off the streets, Austin sighed in relief. He knew he should feel bad about wanting his father to get in a wreck and hopefully die, but he just didn’t have it in him. It made him even worse of a person and all Austin wanted to do was let go. Just let go and feel nothing. Was that too much to ask? Apparently.

Dragging himself to the front yard, he looked through his contacts and selected Ginger Princess. It rang three times before he picked up.

“Hello? Austin?” a timid voice came.

“Y-yeah. Can you d-do m-me a favor?” he mumbled almost inaudibly.

“Anything.”

“Can you pick me up? I’m in front of my house, the s-same one since three years ag-go. I seem to… be…” He passed out.

Alan’s POV

When he got a call from Austin, to say he was shocked was an understatement. He gave him his number at the end of his first day, just in case either one of us needed something. Getting over his shock, he proceeded to answer his phone.

“Hello? Austin?”

“Y-yeah. Can you d-do m-me a favor?” It was hard to understand him because of how small his voice was.

“Anything.” Alan was worried now. Something was wrong and Alan would be lying if he said he wasn’t scared.

“Can you pick me up? I’m in front of my house, the s-same one since three years ag-go. I seem to… be…” the phone got cut off. Alan jumped in his car and raced to Austin’s house. He was lucky he still remembered it after all this time. When he arrived at his house, his heart broke. There, laying face down on the lawn, was a bloody Austin Carlile, his phone still in his hand.

Jumping out of his car, he yelled for help while trying to get his unconscious body in the car. As he was struggling with Austin, a young lady heard the commotion and ran out of her house, a gasp of surprise escaping her lips as she watched the scene play. Quickly getting over her shock, she jumped into action. Together they were able to get Austin in the car. Alan thanked the woman before getting in the car as well, throwing Austin’s bag in the back, and slamming his foot on the gas pedal, not caring if he was speeding.

The trip to his house wasn’t far, only about ten minutes away, but it seemed like forever. When they finally arrived at his house, Alan allowed his eyes to drift to Austin. Eyes widening, he raced into his house and grabbed his mom quickly explain the situation, promising to go into further detail later. She had arrived the day before from the business trip due to work, but his dad still remained on the trip. After they got him out of the car and into the house and onto the living room couch, they were finally able to see the full extent that was inflicted on Austin. There was a trail of blood coming from his head and scratches and bruises on all the visible parts of his skin. Just as they were about to remove his jacket -which had a very large, bloody stain on it, Austin chose that particular time to awaken. It took him a few seconds to comprehend what was going on, and when it finally registered in his mind he flew back. The only thing that got into Austin’s mind and the only thing he could comprehend at the moment was danger.

Alan’s mother walking slowly over to the cowering giant, not wanting to cause any more stress or fear. “Hey, honey. I’m Alan’s mom, Katelyn, Kate, but you should know that. You used to come over all the time. You had the cutest little smile and you could bring my boy out of his shell like no one else. It was hard on Alan after our move. We’re just worried about you, you know. Would you let me check you over? I don’t want you to have a concussion or anything and you’re losing blood.” Austin frowned to himself and looked down at himself. He was covered with blood and a sharp pain came from his head. Austin looked back at Kate and shook his head.

“I want to clean my wounds myself.”

“But, honey. I don’t want them to get infected.” she tried to sway the boy.

“No.” Austin had put his foot down. When Austin wanted or didn’t want something, he was damn stubborn. Kate looked at Austin before sighing in defeat.

“Fine, but you have to let me take care of your head wound.” Austin nodded his head.

“Deal.” Kate ruffled around in the kitchen before returning with a first aid kit in hand.

“The bathroom’s that way, down that hall on the right.” she pointed out.

“Thanks,” he mumbled. Alan and his mom kept their eyes on him until he rounded the corner. Looking over to his mom, Alan questioned,

“I have a good idea as to how he got those injuries, and it wasn’t from school. I just want your expert opinion, Mom.” She let her eyes lay on the closed bathroom door once more before turning to her son.

“Honestly?” Alan nodded. “I think it was child abuse. Did you see his father there?”

“No. Absolutely no one was there.”

“Those wounds don’t look like he could have been in an accident, but you can’t rule it out. Not yet, at least.” she sighed to herself. “Let’s try to get him to the hospital before we do anything rash.”

Austin’s POV

Austin was in the bathroom looking over his wounds. He was thankful to whatever god, spirit, or deity that was watching over him because he somehow managed to get out of stripping down. He didn’t want Alan to see what a mess he’s become. He didn’t want Alan to see how far he’s fallen. Austin is no longer the boy Alan once knew and he was scared to find out Alan’s reaction to his change. He was terrified of Alan finding out his habits. He didn’t think he would be able to take another abandonment. His mother left when he was in seventh grade, his father quickly breaking all bonds with his son soon after. All friends he had before her death had all abandoned him, not being able to keep up with Austin and his constant depression. Austin swore to himself that he will not allow Alan to end up like everyone else, he will do everything in his power to prevent it.

Taking off his jacket and shirt, he looked at the scars and newly made cuts marring his arms. He wasn’t proud of what he’d done, but it was something -one of the only things- that he took comfort in. It felt nice to be able to be in control of at least one aspect of his life. He didn’t like the fact that he had no say in whether others could inflict pain upon him or not, no, he’s always felt pain ever since that fateful day the heavens took his mother, but he liked that he could at least inflict pain upon himself. The pain showed that he still had some life in him, and while that may not have meant he was actually living, it did give him hope that perhaps one day, a better time will come. Just thinking about it was making Austin want to feel the cool metal of a razor on his skin. He wanted to feel his skin tear and watch as blood pooled on his arm. But he knew better. He knew better than to take the risk of someone walking in on him, only to find him laying in a pool of blood, or if they had to go to the hospital and they began to ask serious questions.

Wiping the blood off of his body, Austin could finally make out the black and blue patches that his father had created on his skin. He supposed his body was a canvas for his father to do as he pleased. It was almost as if he had created art, though in a most painful way. Working his way with the gauze and tape, he quickly finished wrapped the cuts and scrapes, making sure to thoroughly clean them before doing so.

When he felt that he was at least some what presentable and got all the blood and grime off by himself, he had called out to Alan from the door, asking for a change of clothes.

“Of course,” he said before running off to his room to fetch a pair of clothes for the poor boy. When he returned, the only part of Austin he could see was his head. “Here you go!” he said cheerily. Austin looked at him before blushing.

“Umm… could you please turn around.” Alan nodded, not wanting to make the other feel uncomfortable. Austin grabbed the clothes before shutting the door.

Making quick work of getting dressed, he headed out to the Ashby’s living room where he took a place on the couch.

“Now, let’s get you all bandaged up.” Kate said softly. Being as gentle as possible, she managed to dress Austin’s head wound without hurting him.

“Thank you.” he mumbled. She smiled brightly at him.

“Anytime, dear.” They sat in silence for a few minutes, the only noise was some background music and one of Alan’s cats purring contently on said person’s lap. “I would really like you to go to the hospital, just to have a couple of x-rays done and some scans.” Kate broke the silence. Austin immediately shook his head, his breathing picking up pace.

“Please!”

“No!” he shouted, running off and locking himself in the first door he saw when out of their sight. Taking a moment, he did his best to control his breathing.

“I will never let them find out about me.” he mumbled to himself.