Status: Active

Talking Body

Chapter Two

Evelynn took a deep, long breath. She could smell the freshness of the beach air (along with a strong waft of salt). The top was down on her 350z, throwing her ashy blonde hair into a whirlwind mess.

Regardless, this was the first time she had felt at ease. That, and her newly prescribed buddy, Xanax, was doing wonders.

Bzzt, bzzt!

Any calm that she felt dissipated into the air behind her as she traveled south on PCH to visit one of the recording studios. She was heading down there to meet a new band that had recently signed on with Warner Bros. Being the lowest on the totem pole, she, of course, was selected to do the dirty work and bring back her research for her team to market to the world.

She picked up her phone and briefly read the text preview.

Hey, I don't think we should see each other anymore. I've tried to make this work but I just don't think you're the one for me. Sorry, Evie.

She sucked in her teeth. Her heart sank into her stomach. Her heart beat so hard and fast it hurt to breath. Evie. That was the last thing she wanted to be called. She texted back clumsily, trying to keep an eye on the road and her shaking hand.

Don't call me that. Do whatever you want. I'm done with you. I am the greatest thing to have ever happened to you. No one else would stayed back after what you've done to me. You're so incredibly selfish and I'm so glad we're done. Fuck you, Nick. Have a nice life.

She threw her phone down angrily on the seat that it almost bounced off onto the ground. After 30 seconds of gripping her steering wheel so tightly that her knuckles started to turn a ghastly white, she reached over and grabbed her phone, eyes brimming with hot tears.

Sorry. I'm just upset at how many times we've tried to make this work and it never gets any better. You've hurt me so much...how do you not care?

He responded back within 30 seconds. I know. I'm sorry. I just don't know what I want. I just don't think it's you. Maybe in a couple years we can try again??

"HA! Fuck your shit," she muttered as she typed furiously.

Lol, no. I'm done with your back and forth. If we break up, this is the last time. No more games, Nick.

Not 10 seconds had passed and she was met with his decision: K, bye. Good luck with everything. I love you, Evie.

Evelynn groaned in disgust at the pet name and threw her phone in the backseat. Her tears fell over and she started laughing. What the hell just happened? Her on and off again boyfriend of 4 years just dumped her over text? What the fuck?

She laugh-cried for another few miles before turning on some pop radio. Every time they broke up, she was devastated, but it was getting easier dealing with the fall-out.

Evelynn Marie Jameson, you will be okay.

--

She walked into the studio, said hi to some engineers she had run into in the corporate office, pushed her sunglasses up into her hair, and signed in.

"Hey! What are you doing here?"

Evelynn recognized that voice and turned around. Matt!

"Hey! Meeting a new band. Not even sure what their name is," she laughed airily. He smiled and she realized how white and straight his teeth were.

"Here," he laughed, grabbing her elbow, "lemme take you to them."

They walked down a dark hallway, the only noise coming from miscellaneous instruments that were muffled from the walls, their shoes stepping in sync.

"Sooooo," Matt drew out the word awkwardly, "everything alright?"

She stopped walking, making Matt turn abruptly with concern etched all over his face. Her lip curled and started trembling as her eyes turned wet. Matt's eyes grew wide and he hastily moved her into an empty recording studio.

"Hey, what's wrong," he asked softly, sitting her down on the couch.

And there she sat, her arms holding her knees up, whispering everything that happened between her and her boyfriend. To Matt. A mere acquaintance of hers.

And he listened. He listened to every single word. And the more she spoke to him, the more he empathized, and the more she felt herself growing a stronger connection with him.

--

"If it makes you feel any better, the girl I was dating for 6 months broke up with me on my birthday last week," he smiled weakly. Evelynn's knees dropped as did her jaw. "What?! What a bitch. And happy belated birthday!"

He laughed, "Thanks. So we're sort of in the same boat. Your first love...and for me, she was the first girl I've liked in a long time. Bummer. She even told our mutual friends the other day she was really missing me. I don't fucking get that girl! I can't stand dating."

"You got that right," Evelynn nodded mindlessly. "Hey...You know what we should do?"

Matt raised a single eyebrow.

Evelynn continued slowly, "We should keep each other in check. You know, if your ex contacts you, you text or call me and I make sure you stay strong and vice versa." But as soon as the words left her mouth, she regretted them instantly. It seemed like such a good idea at the time; she didn't have any close friends (and any friends she did have would all side with her ex, anyhow), and she would also have a support system in one.

But to ask an acquaintance? That was surely a line she had -

"Sure. That sounds good, actually. Give us more time to hang out, anyway. We haven't had our paths cross too much, so this'll be cool," replied Matt coolly.

Shock must've been apparent on her face, because he looked at her, puzzled, and let out a chuckle. "What?"

"N-nothing," she laughed nervously, "It's nothing. This is cool." She looked down at her watch and muttered, "Shit. I gotta go. They've been waiting for me for almost 45 minutes now."

"Alright, kiddo. Let's go," Matt pulled her up and guided her out the door.

Cool, Evelynn thought. Making friends is one way to get my mind off this break-up.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry, this chapter seemed totally just EVERYWHERE. I know, I'm too impatient to get her ex out of the picture already! The build-up will be a slow one, so bear with me.

I'd love any type of feedback!

Sidenote: I realize now that I have been living in Huntington Beach my entire life and have yet to ever run into any of the members of Avenged Sevenfold. It didn't dawn on me until now and I'm pretty disappointed.

End rant. New chapter should be up tomorrow! I'll try to update daily (at the latest, every few 3-4 days).