That Stupid Dance

Sibling Rivalry

“I don’t see why I have to go to the stupid dance.”

“Well… it’s simple. If you don’t go, Emily can’t go.”

I raised an eyebrow at my Dad and skeptically asked, “And what makes you think I would go anyway?”

“Stop being so persistent, you are going to go like it or not.”

“Ugh! I hate you sometimes!”

“Good, that means I’m doing my job. Now go get ready, you don’t want to be late, now do you?”

“Whatever.”

Cursing under my breath I walked to my bedroom slowly thinking about how annoying it was to have a younger sister.

“Don’t fret precious I’m here, step away from the window

Go back to sleep

Safe from pain and truth and choice and other poison devils,

See, they don’t give a fuck about you, like I do.”


“Why do you have to be so emo?”

Turning around to glare at my sixteen year old sister Emily, I rolled my eyes and then tried slamming the door shut. Having her push it open again I sighed heavily and then returned to my hair straighter.

“Are you ready? I want to get there today…”

“Nope I’m not done. Might want to make yourself comfortable, I’m going to be here for quite some time.”

Watching as my sister angrily rolled her eyes and then shouted, “You’re such a bitch!”

Scoffing at her sudden outburst I raised an eyebrow and asked, “Me? A bitch? Doubtful.”

“I’m telling Dad you’re being mean!”

Rolling my eyes I sighed heavily when I quickly asked, “Do you think I really care? He isn’t going to do anything. I’m doing him a favor, keep that in mind Emily.”

Watching her leave I smiled content and then continued to straighten my hair, sighing heavily as I finally finished, I walked out of my room and once again ran into to Emily.

“Are you done?”

“Not really.”

“Damn it Samantha! It’s been over a half hour already!”

“That’s cute how you think I actually care about getting you to that stupid dance on time.”

“You are so-”

“Don’t you get it? I don’t want to go and based on those five words I’m in no hurry to leave.”

Turning around as our Father appeared by the stairs, I glanced at him and sighed when he asked why we still hadn’t left.

“Dad! Sam is being really mean! She’s taking her sweet time on getting ready and keeps rubbing it in my face we aren’t going to leave anytime soon.”

“Samantha I asked you nicely to take your sister out for some time together, why are you still here?”

“It’s unfair to have me drive her around every time she wants to do something. She’s almost sixteen Dad, I think she can fend for herself.”

“I don’t see how that’s fair considering your older and should be looking after her in the first place.”

“Fair? Dad you are the least qualified to be speaking about fairness. I’m almost eighteen, I don’t find anything fair about driving around a spoiled brat.

“Sweetheart I’m asking for a simple favor… are you really going to be stubborn enough to fight me about this?”

Before I said anything else, I cursed mentally and angrily stormed out of the house having Emily follow me just steps behind. Getting into my blue 2007 Mustang, I turned on the radio and ignored any possible conversation Emily would try to stir up.

Almost fifteen minutes later I pulled in the school’s parking lot and sighed when Emily jumped out of the car and ran to her so called friends already waiting by the Gym’s doors.
♠ ♠ ♠
The song that inspired this chapter (so long ago!) is Counting Bodies To The Rhythm of War Drums by A Perfect Circle.

-Hope this edited story gets some attention. Thanks readers.