That Stupid Dance

Party Crasher

I knew being the eldest brought a lot of responsibility but deep down I also knew my Father babied my sister Emily a lot more than he did me. I guess he changed after Mom died from cancer. But I never really saw how treating her the way he did, made it easier. If anything she took advantage and made me the scapegoat.

Being eighteen sucked, it meant looking after the youngest. It means getting dragged everywhere when the baby of the family wanted something done her way. It meant countless drives to the mall and beach with her equally annoying friends.

Looking away from the Montgomery High School, I sighed heavily and turned off the car. Walking towards the blaring auditorium, I sat on the steps of the building wondering how long I would have to endure much more agonizing boredom. Emily was so going to have to pay for many meals after this.

Music was fun super exciting and it made life so much better, at least when it was music you actually enjoyed. I thought bitterly.

“I take it you're not fond of dances either, huh?”

Jumping at the unfamiliar voice, I looked up furrowing my eyebrows when I couldn't see the stranger's face, “You can say that."

“Because you're not inside crowded around the football players.”

Rolling my eyes I got up scoffed, "Please, football players are useless besides for throwing around a ball."

He was probably a foot taller than I was, with dark hair and mesmerizing green eyes. It was like I was hypnotized and I couldn't look away. He looked athletic, lean but had that strong trait about him. Walking away from him and making my way towards the doors of the auditorium he called out, "Why don't you stay here for a bit? I mean tonight isn't like every other night."

Hesitating for a couple of seconds, I smiled and then nodded, "Sure, why not. I mean it's not like I'm missing a lot in there." Not really knowing what to do, I walked over the benches beside the door and sat down. He followed close behind.

"Name's Matthew, but you can call me Matt."

Smiling politely I replied, "I'm Samantha. So Matt, are you going to tell me what you're doing outside? Or have you conquered all the cheerleaders?" I snickered at my lame attempt of a joke. This guy wouldn't be caught dead with a cheerleader. Or me. So why was he outside alone?

He smirked as he sat down beside me and shook his head, “Comes to show how bad you read people. I don't do these type of scenes since I graduated four years ago. I came to drop off my sister.”

So he was older, no wonder he seemed much more sophisticated than these raging teenagers. Smirking, I looked away from him and glanced the full moon, “That's funny.”

He turned to look at me confused and asked, “What?”

“You and I share the same curse then.”

Matt smirked, "And why's that? Don't tell me you're your sister's chauffeur too?"

I shrugged my shoulders, "Parents tend to treat the older ones cruel."

Hearing him laugh, caused me to laugh. I hadn't laugh or smiled this much since... I shook my head and sighed heavily.

I glanced around the parking lot and raised an eyebrow when he asked, “So... what do you say about getting a bite to eat or catching a movie? I'm pretty sure you weren't actually planning on staying outside till this thing was over, where you?”

Not knowing what to say, I grinned and nodded, “Sure... why not? It's not everyday I get to have a night out on my own."

Boy, I should have known better than to talk to strangers.