Sequel: How I Feel

At Last

My Love Has Come Along

Texas was nothing like Massachusetts. Which of course it was nothing like Massachusetts. Aside from the obvious differences like the weather, it was just a whole different lifestyle. They were all differences though that Stella Croft had come to love.

Born and raised in Worcester, Massachusetts was home and her family was all still centered in the area, save for one aunt, her favorite aunt, who had moved to Dallas after falling in love with a businessman from there in her former life as a flight attendant. When she had gotten the offer to come work for the Dallas Contemporary museum in August, she had jumped at the chance to start fresh some place new. She had grown sick of the talk about her in her hometown and moving someplace people didn't know her sounded pretty great to her.

She had been in Dallas two weeks when her aunt sent her out to enjoy a night with her new coworkers. They ended up in a country bar downtown, sitting around a table drinking beers and having a good time. They were laughing over Krista and Caleb's attempt at line dancing when a man slid into the empty chair at the table, smiled, and asked her to dance after introducing himself. His look was a little intimidating; big, imposing, with a full beard but kind eyes that twinkled with mischief. His touch was light but firm, and he moved with confidence and held her like he already possessed her even though she knew it would never be.

As the night drew to a close, while he walked her to her car, he grabbed her hand in his without a word. She liked the feel of his rough, calloused hand wrapped around hers. The simple gesture made her feel safe, and it dropped the wall around her heart just enough that when he asked for her number, she gave it to him. And when he leaned in to kiss her, she tugged him down to her, running her fingers through the hair that curled just behind his ears and kissed him back.

That was how Jordie Benn entered her life. Why he stayed, she'd never understand.

~*~*~


Jamie heard his brothers key turn in the door as he let himself in the apartment they shared. It was November, a week before Thanksgiving, and the last stretch of games had been brutal. He sat up from where he was sprawled across his couch to look at his older brother, happy smile in place that he always had after he saw Stella. They had been dating since the last week of August, three months, and still he didn't get why.

"Hey," Jordie said. "Want a beer?" He asked as he veered off to the kitchen.

"Already got one," Jamie answered. "You're home early."

Jordie sat in one of the reclining chairs and grabbed the remote, turning the TV on. "Stels had to go home. Family emergency."

"The brat wouldn't sleep?"

"He's not a brat; stop calling him that."

"I don't get it, Jordie," he said as he swung his legs to the floor and looked at his brother. "You're young. What do you want with a girl who already has a kid?"

"Until you found out about Alex you thought Stella was perfect for me."

"Yeah, and then I found out about Alex. I knew no one could be that perfect; she had to have a flaw."

"Alex isn't a flaw. He's a good kid."

"He's six."

"And he respects his mom, he's polite, and the kid can wheel. You've seen him on skates."

Jamie had seen him skate and Jordie was right. The kid had a natural gift. Towards the end of October, Jordie had brought Stella and Alex to watch practice. That was how Jamie found out she even had a kid. She and Jordie had been dating two months and no one had told him. Apparently Jordie had sought advice from a couple of the older veterans who had kids but not his own brother. He brought Stella and Alex out to skate with him after a closed practice and the kid had just flown all over the ice. Brendon Dillon had come out with them and he and Alex raced each other around the rink while Stella watched like a hawk and Jordie rubbed circles with his thumb on the back of her hand to calm her.

"What do you even know about this girl? She could just be looking for a meal ticket for her and her kid."

Jordie laughed. "If she was looking for a meal ticket, she's after the wrong Benn brother, captain."

Jamie scowled. "I'm fucking serious, Jordie. Why do you want to tie yourself down with a girl with baggage?"

"Alex isn't baggage, Jamie. He's a part of Stella and I love her so I love the little guy too."

"You love her?" He asked incredulously. "You can't be serious. I'm calling mom; she'll talk some sense into you."

"Mom knows about Stella, and Alex. I talked to her when Stella first told me about Alex and we've all three skyped with her. She likes Stella, and she told me to do what feels right. This is what feels right. My girlfriend is a divorced, single mother of a six year old. Deal with it." He set his half full bottle down on the coffee table and stood. "I'm going to bed."

"Jordie, wait," Jamie called after him. Jordie continued down the hall, ignoring him. Jamie huffed out a breath and followed him, filling the door frame of Jordie's bedroom.

"I'm sorry. Stella is great. I just don't get why you didn't break it off after you found out she had a kid. She gave you every chance to."

"That's just it, Jamie. I didn't want to walk away. I had feelings for her after that first night. Yes, I was taken aback, and yes, I did think about moving on, but I couldn't. I wanted Stella in my life and I was willing to accept that that meant Alex too. I'm twenty seven. Lots of guys are married by this age. Even more of them have kids. This isn't something unusual."

"But he's not yours."

"So what? Are you saying that if Stella and I stay together, if we get married one day, that you'll never accept Alex as your nephew?"

"You want to marry her?! It's been three months!"

"And I'm in love with her and that little boy. I know you don't understand that but it's how I feel. I want a future with Stella and Alex. I want to play hockey and come home to her. I want to teach him everything I know about the game, and I want you to be a part of that with me, teaching him to skate better, to shoot, all of it. It's my life, Jamie, and I'm happy. Can't you be happy for me?"

"I am happy for you," he admitted. "I'm happy you found someone that makes you smile again. Jen was a bitch and Stella is great, and Alex isn't a brat; he's a good kid. Stella has done a hell of a job raising him without a dad. I just don't want you to get hurt, Jordie. She's divorced and she won't even tell you about the guy."

"I don't need to know about him. She was 21 and thought she was in love. He left her for someone else and didn't want anything to do with Alex. If you ask me, he's an asshole and if I ever meet him it might be the last thing he ever does."
♠ ♠ ♠
True story: I wrote 95% of this story on Christmas day while at my in laws bored out of my mind. The idea struck me and I ran with it. It took about five days for me to write the first version of this and I have read and re-read and edited the beejesus out of it since. And then, because the Benn brothers are just so damn good looking, I wrote a story for Jamie to go along with it that I read and re-read and edited the beejesus out of it too. So nearly six months after this began, I'm finally sharing it. You'll have to suspend yourself in an incredibly fictitious world as I took liberties in this story. Like serious liberties. You're gonna have to pretend dudes don't like each other later contrary to their IRL Instagram posts. Just so you know.

As always, comments never required but always appreciated.