Status: Please let me know what you think =)

His Saving Grace

Ten

The guys were in the study when I got out of the shower. They were leaning over a large table, talking about surveillance and firepower. I understood the gist of the conversation, but I wasn’t a soldier, and the terminology they were using? Pure military.

“Clue in the blonde chick?” I asked, stepping into the room and drawing their attention. I moved towards the table, stopping beside Bucky. I looked at the map detailing the entire country, dotted with red marks. Some had black crosses over them, and I figured they were Hydra bases that Steve and Sam had already been through.

“There’s a Hydra base a few miles away, one that we missed on our initial sweep over the country. We were talking about when to head out.” Steve said, tapping one red dot that wasn’t too far from the house. I nodded, biting the inside of my cheek. “Something wrong?” Steve asked, obviously catching the nervous habit.

“It’s one of the bigger facilities.” I admitted, tapping a spot on the map that hadn’t been marked. “That one, however, is a smaller target, less security, but there’s some data in there that could help you find all the other places Hydra’s hiding, not just in the US, but Europe as well.” I said, tapping my finger on the map. Steve looked to Bucky for verification, but he shook his head.

“I don’t remember much about Hydra. A few memories have started to come back, but not enough for me to be reliable.” He admitted, and Steve nodded. Sam, thankfully, stayed quiet, though I could have done without the suspicious glares he constantly sent my way.

“Well, we’ll take a look before we do anything, it might take a few days.” Steve said, and we all nodded. “Buck, Grace, do you guys have a place to stay?” He asked, looking between us.

“I know a place close by, we can stay there.” I said before Bucky could answer. Steve might be okay, and even though Steve trusted Sam, I didn’t. Bucky didn’t say anything, thankfully, and Steve nodded.

“Okay, Bucky, did you want to come with me to check the place out?” Steve asked hopefully. Bucky didn’t reply straight away, but he slowly nodded his head. “Good. Grace, if you can mark any bases we missed on the map, it’d be helpful. Sam, see if you can find Natasha, we might need her help on that bigger base.” Steve said quickly, looking at the map with a strange expression on his face.

“Steve?” Sam said softly, snapping Steve out of whatever thought he was having. Steve shook his head and smiled softly.

“Let’s get going, the sooner we get this done, the better.” Steve said, giving the map one last look before leaving the study. Sam followed after him, cell phone suddenly appearing in his hand as he tapped away on it. Bucky watched them go before letting out a breath I wasn’t aware he was holding.

“Thank you, for lying to Steve.” He said, and I looked up at him, a smile on my face.

“Who said I was lying? I do know a place around here. But it can either be very, very good, or incredibly uncomfortable, depending on our luck.” I said, looking back to the map. Bucky looked at it as well, frowning slightly.

“I remember something like this.” He said, tapping the map. “It was different, another country, but it feels familiar.” He said softly, and I shrugged.

“There’s an exhibit about Captain America, I saw it when I first got away, and there was some information on you there. Maybe it’s worth checking out.” I offered. Bucky shook his head.

“I already saw it.” He said. “After DC, I went there. There were stories about how close Steve and I were, childhood friends, they called us. But I don’t remember any of it.” He turned to look at me, his eyes sad. “All I can remember is Hydra. The things I did for them, the things they did to me. I remember being sick, strapped to a table while they injected something into me.” He said, gripping the table hard enough for his knuckles to go white.

“Bucky, you don’t have to tell me.” I said, putting my hand over his real one. He looked down at our hands before shaking his head.

“I want to. I think I need to.” He admitted, and I gave him a warm smile.

“Okay. But don’t feel like you have to. I understand. And I think Steve will too. He does care about you.” I said, looking at the doorway. Steve and Sam were giving Bucky his space, which was nice of them.

“I know, I can see it. But he doesn’t know what I’ve done. He’s forgiven me for trying to kill him every time, but he doesn’t know that his forgiveness doesn’t wipe any of it away.” He said softly, eyes downcast. “I can’t remember why he’d be so quick to forgive me for the things I’ve done.”

“You two were friends. It may have been a long time ago, and you might not remember those times now, but one day, you will, and while you may not be able to look back and laugh, you’ll know that you had a friend, and that he was here when you needed him.” I said quietly. Bucky looked up, his eyes crystal clear.

“I’m sorry to have pulled you back into this, Grace.” He said, and I shook my head.

“Don’t be. If I wasn’t meant to be here, I wouldn’t be. Steve’s waiting for you, but please, be careful.” I said with a small smile. Bucky returned it and slid his hand out from under mine.

“We won’t be long. Thank you.” Bucky said again, leaving the room silently. I watched him go and leaned against the table, sighing to myself.

When I heard the front door close I turned around, grabbing the red marker and uncapping it. Now I had to remember every Hydra base I uncovered when I was looking for Bucky.
♠ ♠ ♠
Let me know what you think, please????

***

On another note, The Avengers: Age Of Ultron is no longer playing in cinemas in my state of Australia! I hadn't seen it yet.... =( Heartbroken doesn't even cover it.