Status: Please let me know what you think =)

His Saving Grace

Eleven

It was dark when Bucky and Steve returned. I heard them walk through the front door from the study. They weren’t talking, so I could easily hear Sam move from his place in the living room, where he had been for the last twelve hours. He had poked his head into the study once, saw that I was working, then left. He hadn’t bothered me in the last nine hours.

“How did it go?” I heard Sam ask. I looked down at the map as I heard Steve answer him.

“Fine, security was light, two guards at a time, and they swapped every six hours.” Steve’s reply came quickly. “How did Grace go?” I heard Steve ask, and I smiled as I thought of what Sam would say. He hadn’t checked on me in ages. For all he knew, I had taken off and left them stranded. I would have if Bucky had been with me.

“She’s still working. I think she’s taking too much time. She should have had that map finished hours ago.” I heard him say, and I shook my head. Remembering every Hydra base I found wasn’t easy. It was like trying to remember every time I ever said the word ‘um’. Too many times to count.

I turned when I heard the door open, my jaw dropping when I saw the large and nasty bruise forming on Bucky’s jaw and the split lip. I looked behind him to see Steve in a similar state, a black eye starting to appear and a thin cut above his eye.

“What the fuck happened?” I asked, dropping the marker and striding over to Bucky, grabbing his chin and looking at the bruise at a different angle. I closed my eyes briefly to make sure it wasn’t broken before taking my hand away and looking over his shoulder to glare at Steve.

Steve looked taken back at my language, but I didn’t really care at that moment.

“The base was small like you said. The guards were light, so we thought we’d take a look.” Steve said, shrugging like it was no big deal. I glared harder.

“And what the hell made you think that you two could just go in, guns blazing and not get yourselves hurt? Damn it, Bucky, I thought I told you to be careful!” I said, hands on my hips and glaring at the both of them now. I didn’t stop to think about what I was doing, reprimanding two grown ass men for getting into a fight, especially when those men were ninety years old. But I wasn’t happy.

“We’re fine, Grace.” Bucky said softly, and I turned my full attention to him.

“What if you hadn’t been? What if either of you needed help? What if Hydra was prepared for an attack? If they caught you, you’d be dead. Or worse.” I snapped, turning my back on them and looking at the map. I grabbed the black marker and crossed it out, refraining from writing ‘by idiots’ next to it. I threw the marker onto the map and stormed out of the study, ignoring Bucky’s looks and Steve’s frowning face.

I stormed past Sam who was standing in the doorway to the kitchen and went outside, slamming the door before sitting on the front step and seething.

God damn idiots.

Bloody, stupid, old, pair of idiots, the both of them.

How they weren’t dead already amazed me.

Idiots!

I huffed, glaring at a cat that was sitting on the pavement on the other side of the road. It stared back before slinking onto the porch on the house opposite me.

I didn’t turn when the front door opened, but I was surprised when Sam sat down next to me. I shot him a nasty glare, but he didn’t seem bothered by it. He didn’t speak for a moment, and I could nearly hear the cogs in his brain turning as he thought of something to say.

“Steve is a smart guy.” He said finally, and I scoffed. He shot me a dry look before continuing. “He wouldn’t have gone in unless he was completely sure that he and Bucky could handle it. He’s been through much worse on his own, and he and I have taken down a fair few bases with just us. And I’m no match for Bucky. So there wasn’t much risk involved.” He said, and I shot him a look.

“Why are you playing devil’s advocate? And why are you even talking to me? You don’t trust me, I don’t like you…” I said, glaring at him. He didn’t look away.

“We got off on the wrong foot, okay? I don’t understand why you won’t tell us anything about yourself. I don’t understand why you stuck with Bucky after he got here. And I don’t understand why Hydra would want you, unless you’re like them.” He said, nodding to the house. “But if you care about Bucky’s safety, the same way I care about Steve’s? Then you’re good in my book. And if you are like Steve and Bucky, would you let us know? We could use a bit more superpower if we’re going to take Hydra down for good.”

He didn’t break eye contact, like he was trying to stare me down, but that tactic rarely worked with me.

“I’m not like them. I’m not a superhero.” I said simply, staring back at him.

“How come I don’t believe you?” He asked, and I shrugged.

“Trust issues?” I offered, and he shook his head.

“Are you always this sarcastic when someone asks you a question?” He asked, and I pretended to think about it.

“Only when you’re the one asking questions.” I said, standing and ending the game he was playing. “But I’ll tell you one thing about myself.” I said, catching his interest. “The more you want to know,” I said, leaning forward slightly. “The less I’ll tell you. So stop asking questions.” I threatened softly before straightening and walking back inside.

He didn’t move to follow me, which was probably for the best.

I walked through the house, spotting the bag in the living room. I slung it over my shoulder and went looking for Idiot #2. I found the both of them in the kitchen, talking softly. I leaned against the doorframe and watched them for a moment. They hadn’t noticed me yet, astounding considering they both could have heard my and Sam’s conversation if they wanted to.

They looked different to how they had been before they left, not physically, but… not quite emotional. Bucky looked less inclined to kill Steve, there was a little more spark in his eyes. Not much, barely a flicker, but it was there.

They were idiots, but being idiotic was apparently working, as minuscule as it was.

I couldn’t be mad at Steve anymore.

Well…

“If you two are done being all lovey-dovey, the map is finished. And I think we should check out that place, get everything sorted.” I said, watching Bucky carefully. He nodded and stood, looking to Steve.

“We’ll see you tomorrow.” He said, his tone more relaxed than it had been earlier. Maybe there was more progress than I thought.

Steve nodded, standing up as well. “Be careful. Hydra would know that you’re close by.”
Bucky looked to me and nodded, metal hand out to take the bag. I handed it over without hesitation. He wanted to carry the bag, he could carry the bag.

“See you tomorrow, Cap.” I said sarcastically, leading the way out of the house.

Maybe I could still be mad at him. At least a tiny bit.

“See you tomorrow, Grace.” Steve said, sounding half-apologetic, half-smug. If that were at all possible.

Sam wasn’t outside when I stepped out, but I didn’t really care. Bucky and Steve were behind me, talking about the next base and I was half-tempted to turn around and tell him that he wasn’t allowed to go.

Steve stopped once I hit the street, saying his goodbyes to Bucky before Bucky sped up and walked alongside me. He didn’t speak until we rounded the corner, where we then slipped into a small street that had minimal lighting.

“We watched the base for eleven and a half hours before we even thought about going in.” He said softly. I ignored him. “Grace, I needed it.” He added, and I bit my lip.

He didn’t say anything else, but I could feel his gaze on my face, and it only lifted for a few seconds at a time, when he scanned our surroundings.

I didn’t speak until we had gotten at least five blocks away from Steve’s, and were standing outside a small house that had an overgrown garden and peeling paint. I slipped in through the broken gate and walked around the side of the house, pushing a large green waste bin out of the way to reveal a small circuit board. I flipped the switch and heard the electricity start inside the house. Very good it was then.

I stood, dusting my hands off on my jeans. I looked at Bucky, who was leaning against the house, his eyes closed. I frowned.

“Bucky?” I asked, making him open his eyes. “Are you okay?” I asked, and he nodded. “Are you sure? You don’t look well.” I said, stepping forward. I put a hand on his arm and focused. I felt his arm, already healed, and his recent injuries, but there was something else.

I pulled away and watched his face. He was a little pale, and it worried me. He never got sick, not in all the time I’d known him, which wasn’t very long, but there was no records of Hydra’s that said he had fallen ill.

“Let’s get you inside.” I said, nudging him towards the front door. I made sure he was okay before I grabbed the key I kept under one of the floor boards in the patio, unlocking the door and nudging Bucky inside. “There’s a couch through there.” I said, nodding towards the first doorway. “Go sit on it, and I’ll be back in a moment.”

Bucky did as I asked, and I watched him go. He was swaying a little on his feet, making my worry grow. I took a deep breath and turned on my heel, heading for the kitchen, mind spinning as I tried to think of what might be wrong with him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Somethings wrong with Bucky =(

***

Please let me know what you think, comments are really appreciated =)