Status: Please let me know what you think =)

His Saving Grace

Seven

Bucky pulled over four hours later. We had grabbed some food on the way, stuffing the bag with anything that didn’t immediately expire. We ditched the car at a train station, before walking back the way we had come. Bucky carried the bag, slung over his shoulder. I had run into a shop to grab him a jacket and a pair of gloves to cover his metal arm and hand, so it wouldn’t draw attention.

Bucky led the way, and I kept glancing over my shoulder, watching our backs. Hydra knew Bucky better than he knew himself, and I was worried that they knew that he’d go to the one place he could truly keep himself safe from them.

The house was small and plain. It looked like every other house on the street, there was nothing remarkable about it, but Bucky stood in front of it like it was the gate to hell.

I watched him for a moment, silently fighting a battle that I hadn’t seen in him before. Taking a deep breath, I put a hand on his metal shoulder.

“Hey, Bucky.” I said, glancing at the house. “We don’t have to do this.” I added, knowing even as I said it that we had to. There was no other choice that would keep us both alive for longer than a few more days.

Bucky shook his head slowly. “We have to.” He said, not taking his eyes off the house. He stepped forward, making my hand fall and opened the gate, walking towards the door like a man on death row.

I glanced at the house again, wishing that Bucky didn’t have to do this, knowing that he would have had to do it someday. He needed to face this, but I wished it was under different circumstances.
The door opened before Bucky even reached it, a man holding the door open with one hand and with a gun in the other. I took a quick step forward, drawing the man’s attention. His dark eyes studied me for a moment before returning to Bucky.

“We’ve been looking for you.” He said, the gun still present in his hand and not looking like it was going anywhere else soon. Bucky didn’t take his eyes off the man, not moving an inch. “Steve’s out for the moment, but you’re welcome to come inside.” He said to Bucky. Bucky nodded slowly, taking his eyes off the man to look at me. The man noticed. “You too, beautiful.” He grinned, putting the gun away. Bucky turned back to the man quickly, but he just laughed. “Sam Wilson, come on in.”

Bucky moved cautiously, and I stepped up beside him. He gave me a look I couldn’t decipher, and stepped in front of me, like he was shielding me from the man. I didn’t understand it, but I went along with it anyway. We stepped into the house, and Sam waved us on, leading us into the kitchen where there was a table.

“Take a seat. Steve will be back soon.” He said, giving me a questioning look when neither of us sat down. I leaned against the table while Bucky stood near the bench, back straight and eyes scanning the room every few seconds. I was a bit more relaxed, but I understood his apprehension. I didn’t know this guy, I didn’t even know Steve, and for all I know, this guy could be Hydra pretending to be Steve’s friend, ally, whatever.

He gave up trying to get anything out of me just by looking, and glanced between Bucky and I. “Or, you can just stand there. You guys want breakfast? Or coffee?” He asked, arms crossed over his grey t-shirt. I looked to Bucky, but he shook his head.

“Coffee would be nice.” I said, watching him carefully. Sam smiled, moving towards the coffee machine, which was on the opposite side of the kitchen to where Bucky was standing.

“No problem, beautiful.” He said again, and I saw Bucky tense. He walked over to me and leaned in close.

“I’m going to check outside, I don’t like this.” He said, and I nodded. He pulled away but looked unsure. He looked over his shoulder at Sam before turning back to me. “Can you handle him if it comes to it?” He asked, and I nodded.

“I’ll be fine. Have you met him before?” I asked, and he frowned, nodding slowly.

“I think so. He looks familiar, but I can’t be sure it wasn’t from Hydra.” He said softly, and I nodded.

“For what it’s worth, I’ve never seen him before in my life.” I said, and Bucky shook his head.

“Doesn’t help. I won’t be long.” He slipped out of the house, and Sam turned.

“Where did he go?” He asked warily, handing me a cup filled with dark liquid. He hadn’t heard our conversation, which was good. If he was going to turn us into Hydra, it was better he didn’t know we were kind of prepared for it.

“He needs space.” I said simply, taking a small sip of the liquid. I couldn’t taste anything other than the coffee, which put me a little more at ease. Hydra knew that they couldn’t kill me with poison.
Sam leaned against the bench, his eyes flicking to the door before landing back on me.

“Do you realize who you walked in here with?” He asked, arms crossed over his chest again. I rose an eyebrow at him, wondering where he was going. “Look, you seem like a nice person, but that guy? He’s not someone you should be walking around with. He’s got people after him, and they’re not good people.” He said, and I could have laughed.

“I know exactly who he is, Wilson. Do you?” I asked, testing him. I could see him biting the inside of his cheek as he nodded.

“I know the first time I ever went up against him, he ripped a steering wheel out of my hands on a highway. The second time, he ripped off one of the wings on my suit and threw me off an Insight heli-carrier.” He said, and I nodded. I had heard of that, the entire fiasco in DC. I hadn’t realized that Sam had been there.

“You’re the falcon guy.” I said, and he shrugged.

“I’ve been called worse. Now, you know who that guy is, and you’re still here. Why?” He asked and it was my turn to shrug.

“He’s helped me out a fair few times. I figured it was time I returned the favor. Why are you helping Steve Rogers?” I asked, watching him carefully.

“Steve’s a friend. And a good guy. Why would you need the help of a brainwashed assassin?” He asked, and I grinned.

“This is a fun game of twenty questions, but I think I’m going to end it now. Thank you for the coffee, but I believe Steve is back, and I need to find Bucky.” I said, putting the coffee on the table and walking out of the kitchen, stepping into the hall. Bucky was just coming inside the house when I saw someone pull up outside on a motorcycle. Bucky turned and froze as the guy got off, turning to look at the house. His blue eyes widened as he stared at Bucky. His blonde hair was a mess from the wind, but he was still recognizable.

“Bucky?” He said softly, but the wind carried his voice inside, and I saw Bucky tense. I stepped closer and put my hand on his wrist, letting him know I was there. He didn’t acknowledge me, his eyes glued to Steve Rogers, who was walking up the path. He stopped just inside the door, and I heard Sam walk out of the kitchen behind me.

“I… we’ve been looking everywhere for you.” Steve said, reaching for his friend. I saw in Bucky’s eyes that it wasn’t going to go well.

I barely had time to move before Bucky’s metal arm swung at Steve. Steve jumped back, dodging, but Bucky moved too, stepping close to Steve and landing a punch to his stomach.

Sam moved to get Bucky from behind, but I dropped low and swung my leg under Sam’s feet, making him fall to the ground. He looked up at me in surprise, but I didn’t give him another thought. I stood and turned, reaching for Bucky. I pulled on his shoulder, ducking as his metal arm swung at me. I stepped in close and tucked my foot behind his, knocking him off balance.

He wasn’t fast enough to avoid Steve, who quickly put him in a head lock. Steve looked to me but I ignored him. I grabbed Bucky’s face and locked eyes with him.

“Bucky, remember.” I said sternly. I didn’t look away from him until his eyes cleared of the fog that had washed over them, and he put his hands up. Steve let him go and Bucky straightened, his face apologetic enough that it would pull on the hardest person’s heart strings.

“I’m sorry.” He said to Steve. Steve nodded, keeping his distance.

“No, I’m sorry. I assumed you remembered everything. I should have known it would take longer than a few months.” Steve acknowledged. Bucky didn’t reply, and I looked around awkwardly. Sam was getting to his feet, a surprised look still on his face.

“Just who are you?” He asked, drawing everyone’s attention. Bucky moved silently to my side, watching Sam carefully. Steve looked at me too, frowning slightly.

“It doesn’t matter who I am. Bucky and Steve need to talk, and I don’t think there needs to be anyone else involved in that conversation.” I said, turning and sliding past Bucky. I gave him an encouraging look as I did, but he caught my arm.

“I need to talk to you. Is there somewhere we can talk privately?” Bucky asked Steve, sounding strangely formal. It shocked Steve, if his face was anything to go by. Steve nodded.

“Yes. Sam, I think I found another… uh, place… let’s go check that map.” He said, walking past Bucky and I and leading Sam into another room. Sam followed but his eyes stayed on me the entire time.
♠ ♠ ♠
Let me know what you think??

A big thank you to Amped. and SleepPatterns for the comments, you two are the best =)