Status: Please let me know what you think =)

His Saving Grace

Nine

I was sitting in the living room, on the edge of my seat. Bucky and Steve were in the kitchen, and I could hear the soft hum of conversation, but I couldn’t make out any words, not like I was trying to. I knew when to eavesdrop and when to mind my own business.

Sam was checking something in the room that he and Steve had gone into while Bucky talked to me, so I was alone. I closed my eyes briefly, taking a deep breath.

I was back in.

Fantastic, and damn those eyes.

I sat back and opened my eyes, staring at the ceiling. I didn’t regret helping Bucky, not in the least, and I don’t regret telling him I’d stay, but I didn’t want to be dragged back into this Hydra stuff. No one ever took what they said before any of the agents died seriously.

Cut off one head, two shall take its place.

As much as I hated to admit it, it always rang true. For every base, safe house, bunker that Steve and his friends blew, another two popped up somewhere else. It was a never ending battle.
I looked to the doorway when I heard the floorboards creak. Sam was leaning against the door frame, dark eyes pinned on me. I didn’t move, but I watched him. He might have been friends with Steve, but I didn’t trust him, and suddenly, I felt better about staying with Bucky.

“So, who are you? Really.” He asked, the expression on his face told me he wasn’t going to let this go. But I wasn’t a push over, Bucky’s eyes aside.

“Grace.” I said with a polite smile that didn’t feel friendly, even as I tried to make it so.

“Funny. Back to our conversation in the kitchen, why would a girl like you need the help of a brainwashed assassin? You look like you’re barely out of high school.” He pressed, standing straight and blocking any attempt I could have made to get out of the room. What he didn’t know was that I didn’t really need to get away.

“Looks can be deceiving. Without the mask, Bucky doesn’t look that scary or intimidating. Yet he can still rip you limb from limb if he needs to.”

“Is that what you are? Someone who can kill as easily as taking a breath?” Sam asked, glaring at me. I smiled back.

“Aren’t we all?”

Sam was about to reply when Steve stepped out of the kitchen. He paused when he saw Sam standing in the doorway, tense, and me sitting on the couch, completely at ease. “Is something going on here?” He asked, and Bucky appeared behind him. I smiled at the both of them.

“Nothing at all, just exchanging side-kick stories.”

“I’m not a side-kick.”

“Sam’s not a side-kick.”

Sam and Steve said at the same time, Sam glaring at me, and Steve looking offended. I grinned at them.

“Okay, Sam isn’t a side-kick.” I said indulgently, and Sam crossed his arms. That poor, fragile male ego, so easy to bruise.

Steve watched me carefully before speaking again. “Uh, Bucky’s agreed to help us find the rest of Hydra and take them down. He said you’d help?” He asked, and I met Bucky’s eyes over Steve’s shoulder.

“I’ll do my part.” I said simply, making Sam’s eyes widen. He turned to face his friend.

“We don’t know who she is. Can she even handle herself in a fire fight?” He asked, sending me a sharp look over his shoulder. I didn’t take offense. Underestimation was my secret weapon, at least when I wasn’t going up against Hydra agents.

“You’ve got a back yard, I can show you how I can handle myself.” I said, aching to bring him down a peg or two. He looked over a shoulder and studied me for a moment.

“Sure thing, beautiful.” He said, making the usual compliment into an insult. It went straight over my head. I didn’t care for compliments.

I motioned for him to lead the way, and he did. Steve followed after him, whispering something to him, and Bucky walked alongside me, sending wary glances at Sam.

“And I thought I’d be the one having problems getting along, since I tried to kill them both. Twice.” He said softly. I gave him a wide smile.

“They know just how badly you can kick Wilson’s ass. Things aren’t going to work unless they know I can handle myself and watch their backs. It’s about trust. They need to know I won’t need protection if it comes down to it.” I told him. He shrugged, but stayed silent.

Sam opened the back door and walked through, heading down the patio steps and rolling his shoulders. I moved to follow him, but Bucky grabbed my wrist. I looked up at him expectantly.

“Kick his ass.” He said with a genuine smile. I beamed at him and skipped down the stairs, stopping across the yard from Sam.

I slipped off my jacket, vest and thermal, leaving me in my tank top, jeans and boots. I set the clothes on the ground beside me and hopped from one foot to the other. I noticed Steve and Bucky talking, Steve looked uncomfortable, but Bucky looked fine, proud even. I knew why he would.

I was about to kick some ass, using the moves he taught me.

Not even ten minutes later, Sam was on the ground, panting, and I was standing five feet away, looking down at him with a proud smirk. “So, believe that I can take care of myself?” I asked, and Sam opened his mouth to reply, most likely a biting retort that would somehow hurt my feelings, but I stopped him. “It was rhetorical.” I said, turning and grabbing my things. I slipped my vest and jacket back on, leaving my thermal in my hand. I’d throw it in the bag later. It was getting too warm to wear it.

I bounced up the stairs and smiled at Steve and Bucky. Steve looked stunned, looking between Bucky and me. “You’re Hydra?” He asked, unable to look at just one of us. I leaned against the railing, watching as Sam climbed to his feet and hobbled over to the patio.

“Shouldn’t surprise you, Cap.” He glared.

“Not quite.” I said, sparing a glance at Bucky. He was watching Sam with a certain kind of smugness that coaches would send other coaches when their pupil beat their pupil.

“I think it’s time for some transparency. If we’re going to work together to bring Hydra down for good, we need to be able know exactly how much we can trust you.” Steve said slowly, trying to keep the peace while asking me to spill the beans on everything I knew. Unlikely.

“Transparency. Okay. I’m not Hydra, but that didn’t stop them from trying to make me Hydra.” I said, putting it in the simplest form of the truth.

“Is that all we’re going to get?” Steve asked softly, and I shrugged.

“For now, at least.” I said, brushing my hair out of my eyes, it was coming loose from its ponytail. “Can I use the shower to wash off the stink of his failure?” I asked, nodding towards Sam. He huffed and glared, while Steve shook his head softly. I looked to Bucky and he was trying to conceal a smile. I hadn’t realized he was that proud of how far I had come.

“The first left through the door.” Steve said with a sigh.

“Thank you.” I said, slipping inside and grabbing the bag before I slipped into the bathroom.
♠ ♠ ♠
Watching Captain America: The Winter Soldier... this movie is pure gold =D