Sequel: Dark Tides

Silver Spirits

Chapter Ten

"This one here is named Missy. She's usually not very friendly but she seems to like you all right."

"Yes," Ben said as a white rat scurried up his arm, across his shoulders, and down the other arm. "I can see that." He had spent the last two hours catching rats and decided "Nosebleed" was far fonder of them than he should be. Of course, no one else aboard the ship seemed keen on spending much time in the man's company. Ben actually felt a bit of sympathy for him. Just a bit. Nosebleed rambled on incessantly about topics that were either mind numbingly boring, or disgusting. And he tended to spit a little on his S's.

It was a well played move on Scarlett's part, but Ben wasn't one to lie down easily. If it was a battle Scarlett wanted, a battle she would get. One of the rats Ben had caught was a small black female, and she had adamantly decided that she'd rather tuck herself into Ben's pockets than go into a cage.

"Looks like you got yourself your own little friend," Nosebleed noted, fondness in his tone. Ben nodded, a devious smile curving his lips as he watched the rat's little pink nose twitch over the edge of his pocket.

"It seems that I do," he said.

"Well it looks like that's it for the day." Nosebleed stood up and stretched, seemingly popping every vertebrae he possessed. Ben resisted the urge to grimace. The two of them had scoured the entire ship, and were now in the brig. Not exactly Ben's favorite place and he was eager to jog up the stairs and back onto the deck. Looking smug and back to her normal self, Scarlett sauntered over to him and Nosebleed.

"Did you enjoy your time with the rats?" she asked Ben sweetly.

"Very much," Ben replied. "In fact one of them even took a shine to me." He gently pulled the little black rat from his pocket and Scarlett took a step back.

"I decided to call her Scarlett," Ben went on, "in honor of you."

"How sweet," Scarlett said, her lip curling. Ben was honestly enjoying himself. He knew there was no way Scarlett wouldn't try to make their lives a living hell, but he could still have a bit of fun. He could see the other members of his crew fighting back snickers.

"Ben!" Emily came bounding across the deck, her brown eyes alight with wonder. "I had the most wonderful morning! It was sort of scary at first, of course, but the ship's technology is positively fascinating! Leon said I have a knack for it."

"Well of course you do." Ben ruffled her hair. "You come from a long line of geniuses."

"Oh do stop before I retch again." Scarlett stared at them both. She didn't seem sure what to make of Emily, but that came as no surprise to Ben. Emily was stranger than most seventeen year old girls.

"So you like work, do you?" Scarlett asked. "Good. Then you can all drop over the side and scrape off any barnacles that have attached themselves to the bottom of the ship."

Ben could tell that his crew was weary from scrubbing the ship on their knees, but he gave them a look that conveyed to not show defeat. They didn't like surrendering any more than Ben did. They all tied thick ropes around their waists and dropped over the side. Emily shrieked delightedly as water sprayed her.

"Are you all right?" Ben whispered to her. She nodded.

"I'm tired," she admitted. "But it is sort of fun being on a pirate ship, isn't it?"

"I don't know that fun is the word I'd use," he said, amused. "But we can pretend it is anyway. It seems to aggravate our hostess."

"She's very pretty," Emily remarked, digging her scraper under a barnacle and trying to pry it free. "I hope I'm that beautiful one day," she added wistfully.

"Rubbish," Ben replied. "The sun itself is jealous of your face."

Emily giggled. "You're ridiculous. Benjamin."

They made a game out of their task, swinging around like monkeys and keeping track to see who dislodged the most barnacles. Ben had a feeling his crew was putting up such a good front for Emily's benefit, and he was immensely grateful. Their situation was quite grim, and he would rather not have Emily dwelling and terrified.

Scarlett appeared along the railing above them from time to time, keeping an eye on them. Ben wondered if she was contemplating simply cutting the ropes and letting them all drown. He wouldn't put it past her. He could only pray that her treasure lust was greater than her desire to kill him. His newfound rodent friend tried to scamper up his arm and gnaw at the rope holing him up.

"Now now Scarlett, none of that. Behave yourself."

"I beg your pardon?" Scarlett snarled from above him. Ben looked up and smiled innocently.

"Oh no, not you, Captain. I was talking to the rat."

Beside him, Emily barely managed to bite back a giggle and Mr. Foley had to cough to cover his laughter. Scarlett disappeared from above him, then reappeared with one of the mop buckets and threw its contents on him. Scarlett the Rat squeaked indignantly and climbed into his shirt.

"Thank you Captain!" Ben called as he wiped water out of his eyes. "Most refreshing, it's rather hot down here."

"Go to Hell, Griffith."

They were all sore to the bone and considerably more tanned; sunburnt, in the case of poor Mr. Foley; when they finished for the evening and were finally hauled back on deck. Emily was practically asleep on her feet. Simon shuffled out of the galley looking like he'd just been through war. Cook must have really run him ragged.

"All right, back to your cells with you," Scarlett said haughtily. "I'll send Percy down with some water and bread crusts."

They all fairly collapsed in their cells, energy spent. Still, Ben was proud of them. And clearly he was getting under Scarlett's skin. Maybe eventually she'd realize she wasn't getting the reactions she wanted from him and ease up. Though that was probably wishful thinking. Ben couldn't help but smirk as he thought of how Scarlett's eyes glittered with annoyance whenever she looked at him. Ben had always enjoyed rankling anyone who didn't like him. Not to mention anger made Scarlett's eyes an even brighter shade of blue.

Ben fell asleep with Emily's head on his shoulder and a smug smile still on his face.