Sequel: Dark Tides

Silver Spirits

Chapter Fourteen

The crew was in low spirits. Even Ben's crew, who were finally free of the brig, seemed to be lacking morale ever since the siren attack followed by the visit from Abram and Percy's poor excuse of a father. If there was anything Ben had always been excellent at during his time in the Navy, it was keeping his crew happy. Scarlett was not acting at all herself and even Emily had been quiet for the last two days.

Ben didn't know why he cared if Scarlett was acting reclusive and reserved, but she had been a most worthy adversary and he hated to see her lose her spark. He took it upon himself to go scouring the ship in search of something to lighten the mood. He found some assorted trunks stored below decks and rummaged through them. A cloud of dust puffed up in his face, causing both him and Scarlett the Rat to start sneezing.

"They need to clean this place out wouldn't you say, Scarlett?" he asked. He peered into the trunk to find an accordion that had seen better days, and a few faded and tattered music books.

"Well this is a sad sight." Ben leaned further into the trunk to investigate its contents.

"What are you doing?"

Ben jumped at the sound of Scarlett's voice, the trunk lid slamming on his head. Cursing, he lifted the lid and sat up with a grimace. Scarlett was pressing her lips together to hold back a laugh, and even though genuinely amused was not something Ben had seen from her before, he decided it was a good sign. Perhaps she was coming out of the funk Abram had put her in.

"I was looking for something I could use to lift the crew's mood," Ben explained, climbing to his feet and brushing the dust off his pants. Scarlett arched an eyebrow.

"Why?"

"We're stuck out here on a boat in the middle of the ocean. Best to keep a bunch of violent ingrates entertained and occupied wouldn't you agree?"

"I suppose."

"Unfortunately all I've found is a broken accordion."

"That is dreadfully unfortunate."

"Quite so. It's a shame we don't have a grand piano. My stepmother insisted I learned after she and her husband took me on. Nothing stirs the soul quite like music." He slid Scarlett a sideways look.

"What?" she demanded.

"I heard you singing to yourself in the brig," Ben said casually. "Even if you were practically fall down drunk you sounded quite lovely."

"I'm not impressed by flattery, Griffith."

"It wasn't flattery. Merely an observation." They stared at each other for a moment. Finally Scarlett nodded.

"An accurate observation," she replied, some of her usual smugness returning. Ben's lips quirked up in a lopsided smile.

"Are you trying to imply that I should sing a jaunty tune for my crew, Commander?"

"I'm sure no one would see it coming."

"That's not going to happen."

"Pity."

There was a shout from above, and the two of them hustled up to the deck. Two of the younger new recruits were swearing and pummeling each other while the onlookers egged them on. Scarlett rolled her eyes and drew her gun from its holster. She fired into the air, and the sound of gunshots silenced the jeering crowd. The two fighters kept on with it though, and Scarlett gestured to Percy, who had been standing back from the action. Ben thought he was standing entirely too close to Emily and was relieved when Percy moved forward to break up the brawlers. He caught them both by their shirt collars and shook them like dolls.

"Enough of that," he said, looking bored. "There's to be no brawling on this ship. If you're bored, find work to do." He lifted the men nearly off their feet and shoved them in opposite directions. Ben kept a hawk's eye on Emily as she took in the scene before her and he scowled as she stared at Percy with a starry eyed expression. As if Ben didn't have enough problems, now his kid sister was falling head over heels for a ruthless pirate. Although he had to admit, Percy didn't seem so bad, as far as pirates went.

"Like I said, Captain. Always a good idea to keep the men entertained and occupied while at sea," Ben said, nodding at the bloody-nosed pair. Scarlett gave a rueful smile.

"That's what I have Percy for."

Ben watched the behemoth in question as Emily insisted he quiz her on the parts of the ship and their functions. He resisted the urge to go pull her away.

"I take it you're not a fan of my first mate?" Scarlett asked.

"I'm not a fan of any pirates," he said. "Especially ones who spend so much time with my little sister."

"Technically she's the one always pestering him."

"I still see her as the little girl with a smile too big for her face and the ribbons in her hair always coming undone. I don't like to think that she's growing up now."

"Little girls have to become women eventually."

"Why? A lot of men never grow up."

Scarlett snorted at that. "I guess I can't argue with you on that count."

"Didn't you ever have someone to tell you that no man will ever be good enough for you?"

Scarlett seemed startled by the question, her eyes snapping to him. "What?"

"You didn't have a father or a brother to tell you that you're too good for anyone?"

"I don't recall ever hearing such a thing," she said evasively.

"Hmm. Well you should have. It's essential that all young girls hear it. Otherwise they start thinking anyone is good enough for them, and that is of course unacceptable."

She didn't reply and Ben slipped away to speak with Simon. Later that evening he was able to coax a few songs from Emily, which proved his point that music reinvigorates people left adrift too long. She even started teaching the pirates a popular dance among the English party scene. Ben hadn't imagined that Percy could ever feel awkward or embarrassed, but he certainly seemed it as Emily attempted to show him the steps. The sweet girl even braved a dance with Nosebleed, not wishing to leave anyone out. A few men produced harmonicas and even a flute and fiddle made an appearance to accompany Emily's dance lessons.

Those who were too injured from the siren attack to dance sang raucous sailing songs that made Emily blush. Ben knew that tomorrow could bring more monsters, more pirates, Scarlett deciding she felt like shooting him before breakfast. But just then Emily was laughing and his crew looked more relaxed than they had since they found the map. Even Scarlett seemed to be enjoying herself. If they had to take each day as it came, Ben would cherish every moment of normalcy he could find. His moments were likely numbered as it was.

They were almost half done with their journey, and as far as Ben knew every day brought him and his crew closer to death. They could leave the worrying to him for one night.