Sequel: Dark Tides

Silver Spirits

Chapter Sixteen

"Rain on the horizon, Captain." Ben had crow's nest duty that day, and had been staring out over the waves lost in thought until he saw formidable black clouds closing in from the distance.

"Oh bloody hell," Scarlett huffed. "Not again. Secure the sails, Griffith."

Simon and Leon joined him and they pulled the sails in to prevent them from being tattered in the storm. Ben shimmied back down to the deck, only to have Nosebleed sling an arm over his shoulders.

"What are you doing?" Ben tried to sidestep out of the awkward embrace but Nosebleed only clung to him tighter, his eyes wide.

"Don't ye remember the last storm? We lost over half the crew!"

"Yes, I recall. I fail to see why that has given you the urge to cut off the blood supply in my arm."

"Storm buddy," Nosebleed said, as though this should have been obvious. "Using another person to tether yerself see, so you don't get carried off by the ocean so easily."

"That is an excellent idea," Ben said, prying himself free. "But you'd probably be better off with Percy as your storm buddy, hmm? He's solid as a rock, that one. He'll definitely keep you on board."

He ducked away as Nosebleed seemed to see the logic in Ben's reasoning, and Ben felt a twinge of wicked satisfaction as Percy suddenly found himself being hugged from behind by Nosebleed. Ben continued around the ship, making sure things were secured as the rain began pelting down. This storm was clearly not going to be as severe as the last one; which was fortunate since some of the men were still recovering from siren-induced injury; but the wind picked up and the water grew choppy. As the ship rocked precariously everyone stumbled almost comically around the deck.

Scarlett was at the helm, her lips set in a determined line as she steered the Spirit against the wind. Ben moved to her side to help, which earned him a scowl. But Scarlett didn't chase him away and together they kept the ship on its course. An alarmingly large wave crashed over the side, knocking them off their feet. Ben tried to catch Scarlett as she went down but it only threw off his own balance and he fell with her in a tangle of limbs.

He landed half on top of her, her golden hair plastered against her face. He was acutely aware of how close their faces were; he could see tiny flecks of pale gray scattered through her crystal blue eyes.

"Sorry," he said, struggling to push himself up. The ship jolted and he fell forward again, this time smacking his forehead against hers. She winced.

"Graceful, Commander. You should consider taking up ballet."

"That was my second choice of career, if I didn't make it into the Navy."

"You're an idiot."

This time he was successful in getting to his feet and he pulled Scarlett up with him. They resumed wrestling with the helm, Scarlett now with a small bruise forming on her forehead. This time the storm didn't claim anyone, though everyone was soaked and frozen by the time the sky cleared. Percy had dislodged Nosebleed from around his waist and returned to his usual post as the navigator. Scarlett rung some of the water from her curls and, after assuring herself that no one was dead this time, she headed for her state room.

"Captain, I'd like to have a word," Ben said, following her. She shrugged dismissively.

"You are having a word," she pointed out.

"I'd like a few more." Ben followed her into the room and shut the door. Her eyebrows raised slightly.

"A private chat, Griffith? This must be terribly important."

"Indeed, Madeline."

"Ah. I knew you'd figure it out eventually, once I realized who you were. You've really made yourself into something."

"How did you end up captaining the Silver Spirit?" Ben asked, stupefied that she was unconcerned about his realization and even more so that sweet little Madeline Triggs had become a pirate.

"I was kidnapped, as you well know. But I was a charming child, as you also know. Phineas took a shine to me. I remained aboard the ship, learning the ways of high seas robbery. When he died, I took over command of the ship. And here we are."

"But...you had control of the ship. You could have gone home."

Scarlett scoffed. "Go home? I had spent years as a pirate's apprentice. I couldn't possibly return to my life as Madeline Triggs."

"But it almost killed your father when you disappeared. You know he never stopped looking for you. It was cruel to leave him in the dark, Scarlett. You could have at least let the poor man know you were alive."

"Don't tell me what I should or shouldn't have done." Scarlett's eyes flashed. "I wasn't the same person anymore. My father wanted his high class little girl back, he wouldn't have welcomed a criminal on his doorstep."

"He wouldn't have cared. So you didn't exactly go the path anyone expected, you still could have-"

"What did I tell you about lecturing me, Griffith?" Scarlett stalked forward, poking him in the chest. "You don't know what I could have done. Besides I didn't want to go back to being a pampered, proper little lady. I liked this life."

"But he's your father," Ben protested, his voice rising slightly. "Edmund Triggs is a good man, and his world revolved around you. He deserves to know you're alive!"

"Damn you, stop trying to remind me of my past! It's a world I'm not part of anymore."

"It's all the same world, technically."

"Oh shut up, smart ass." She was in his face, eyes blazing and water trickling down her cheeks and neck from her rain drenched hair. "You just always have a clever answer for everything don't you?"

"Yes I suppose I do." They stood there for a heartbeat, and then Ben wasn't sure who moved first but her hands were on his shoulders and his hands were at her waist and their lips were locked against each other's as if their lives depended on it. It was a bit surreal, kissing Scarlett. He couldn't quite figure out how they had gotten to this point, but decided it was best not to question it. Mind boggling as it was, kissing her was also very pleasant. There was a knock at the door and they sprang apart as though burned. Scarlett looked as flabbergasted as Ben felt as she snapped, "what?"

Percy opened the door and stepped inside, pausing when he saw Ben standing there. Ben clasped his hands behind his back and put on his best innocent face. Scarlett smoothed her damp clothes, looking impatient as usual but there was still a flicker of suspicion in Percy's eyes.

"Captain we should stop in Port Aris for supplies. We're running low and we likely won't encounter another port for some time."

"Yes, thank you Percy. Set course there immediately."

"Aye." He looked at Ben. "I know you sent Nosebleed to harangue me during the storm, Griffith."

"Me?" Ben feigned shock. "I did no such thing. He just likes you."

Scarlett snorted and Percy gave him a stony glare before departing, leaving Ben and Scarlett to stare awkwardly at each other.