Sequel: Dark Tides

Silver Spirits

Chapter Eighteen

Once Scarlett had collected herself she and Ben made their way back to the Silver Spirit. Ben walked close to her, resisting the urge to slip his hand into hers. He found it incredibly amusing that Scarlett was so disgruntled by the appearance of Evelyn, who was indeed quite lovely, but she was nowhere near as eye catching as Scarlett. So far as Ben knew, there wasn't a woman alive who could hold a candle to Scarlett.

It still amazed him that after all these years he had happened upon Madeline Triggs. It was enough to make a man believe in things like fate and destiny and other such romantic nonsense. They reached the ship again and Ben found Simon looking drained of color as pretty Evelyn chatted animatedly with Nosebleed. She still had her arm linked with Simon's and Ben was confused by Simon's ill expression until he heard Evelyn call Nosebleed Reginald. His eyebrows shot up. He looked from Nosebleed to Evelyn and back again and wondered how they could possibly be related. He looked at Scarlett and she was wearing a smug little smile.

It didn't surprise Ben that Evelyn had taken an instant shine to Simon; he had always been a flirt and with his dark blond hair and light hazel eyes he attracted girls like moths. How dreadfully unfortunate for the man that he had apparently become smitten with a girl who was a sister to Nosebleed of all people. Ben had to fight back a chuckle. Poor Simon. But his grimace faded as soon as Evelyn turned to him with a sunny smile and was replaced with a dopey eyed expression.

"It seems my good friend has fallen quite suddenly for this Evelyn," Ben said with amusement.

"It's positively horrible and that's why I fully support his love." Scarlett snickered and Ben nudged her gently.

"You heartless woman," he teased. She batted her eyelashes innocently.

"Mother is throwing one of her parties tonight," Evelyn said, tugging Simon with her as she planted herself in front of Ben and Scarlett. "You should come, Scarlett. And bring this handsome fellow too." She beamed at Ben and he felt Scarlett's hand twitch near her gun holster. He brushed his fingers against hers in an attempt to calm her ire.

"We are on a rather tight schedule," Scarlett said pompously.

"Surely you can spend one evening in port." Evelyn pouted. "It's been so long since I've seen Reginald and of course I don't wish to say goodbye to darling Simon just yet."

Simon's ears turned red and Scarlett rolled her eyes.

"You can come by the house and get cleaned up," Evelyn pressed. "I have some dresses recently received from Paris. I have one that would be truly stunning in you Scarlett. It's never been work before."

"I'm quite sure the measurements of the dress would be all wrong," Scarlett replied, voice dripping with disdain. Evelyn was undeterred.

"We can fix it if necessary. Your second in command and that pretty girl he's fawning over can come too." She giggled and Ben craned his neck to see Percy standing entirely too close to Emily, his head bent as he spoke to her. Scarlett caught his arm as he took a step forward.

"Let her be, Griffith," she said with a laugh.

"Cap'n, if it wouldn't be too much trouble, I would dearly love to see my family," Nosebleed spoke up. "And I want them to meet my good friend Ben."

"How wonderful for me," Ben muttered and Scarlett suddenly shot him a devilish grin.

"Far be it from me to separate friends and family," she said. "We'll be there."

Evelyn clapped her hands in delight. "Excellent! Come right over and we'll get you girls presentable."

"Your heart is black as coal," Ben whispered. Scarlett kissed his cheek.

"I do try," she said modestly. She called Emily over and told her they were attending a party. She linked arms with her and they flounced away after Evelyn. Simon stared after Evelyn with a hopelessly lovesick gaze and Ben shook his head.

"Pull yourself together man," he instructed.

"I can't help it," Simon said miserably. "She's the most beautiful woman I've ever seen, Ben! Why does her brother have to be Nosebleed?"

Ben clapped him on the shoulder. "Tough luck, old chap."

Ben took special care in getting cleaned up and donning fresh clothes. Nosebleed, dressed in ill-fitting clothing, led them to his mother's house. He banked on incessantly about the blisters on his feet and Simon kept grimacing and muttering, "why does she have to be so damned pretty?"

Ben stopped short and stared as they arrived at the grand house and he saw Evelyn, Emily and Scarlett clustered on the staircase. Emily's hair had lost a bit of the strawberry and turned more blond, her light smattering of freckles mostly now disguised by a tan. Her eyes were sparkling as she twirled on the stairs in her pale pink gown. She truly had grown up, especially if Percy's slightly slack jawed look was any indication. Ben shot him a glower. He looked incredibly out of place in his white dress shirt. Ben didn't think he had ever seen the man fully clothed before.

But he didn't have much time to ponder whatever was happening between the pirate and his sister because Scarlett was making her way towards them, moving through the crowd as regally as a queen in her castle. He couldn't stop staring at her. Her golden hair was piled on top of her head and the sapphire blue dress she wore clung to her slender waist and left her arms and shoulders bare. Evelyn, dressed in some frilly green thing, immediately whisked her brother and Simon away. Emily took Percy's hand and dragged him off toward the dance floor despite his protests.

Ben frowned and Scarlett laughed. "Let the girl have some fun, Commander."

Nosebleed reappeared then, with a woman Ben assumed was his mother in tow.

"This is Benjamin, my best friend," he declared proudly, slinging an arm around Ben's shoulders. Ben grimaced but managed to make it look like a smile.

"A pleasure to meet you, Madame," he said. Scarlett was hiding her snicker behind her hands. Evelyn and Simon were dancing nearby, Simon hanging on her every word. Ben kept trying to subtly slip away from Nosebleed but he kept his arm firmly across his shoulders while he regaled his mother with tales of their grand adventures. Finally even Scarlett took pity on him.

"Excuse us, if you will. Benjamin here promised me a dance." She took Ben's arm and tugged him free, leading him away from the party goers. They went up the stairs and found a deserted balcony overlooking the ocean. They stood in silence for a time, Ben leaning his arms in the railing to watch the waves roll in and out.

"You're a strange man, Commander," Scarlett remarked. "Most men who have found themselves in your position would be trying to untie my corset by now."

Ben raised his eyebrows. "I'm not like most men you've encountered."

"That I have noticed. Of course, since I'm, as you put it, not your type I suppose it would stand to reason that you had no interest in removing my corset."

"I didn't know you cared so highly about my opinion." Ben's lips curled up in a smile.

"I don't," Scarlett said, raising her chin defiantly.

"For the record, Captain, I admit that I would find it most interesting to undo your corset. However I wish it known that I do not see you only for your appearance, as striking as it may be. My hands shall remain off your corset until such time as you request otherwise."

"Until such time? You seem rather sure that I want you unlacing my corset. That's terribly presumptuous of you, Griffith."

He bowed his head, still smiling. "My apologies. If there comes a time when you'd like me to remove your corset, your wish is my command."

"You'd do well to remember that fact," she said, though she seemed pleased with his admission of her attractiveness. She leaned on the railing next to him and together they listened to the roar of the sea as the moon rose in the night sky.