Sequel: Dark Tides

Silver Spirits

Chapter Twenty

Upon waking, Ben experienced both something vastly unpleasant, and something quite exquisite simultaneously. Even the dim light streaming through the curtain made his aching head swim and his stomach lurched. However as he turned his face away from the offending sunlight he found Scarlett curled against him, her face relaxed in sleep and her hair spread around her in a messy golden halo. A soft, fond smile found its way onto his face almost automatically at the sight. She was still dressed in the blue ball gown from the night before, the silk now rumpled.

He remained very still for a while, due in part to the abominable throbbing of his skull, and also a desire not to disturb Scarlett. Eventually she stirred of her own accord, her eyes fluttering open. She didn't seem at all a cutthroat pirate captain in that moment. Ben would venture so far as to think she looked positively angelic, though he'd never tell her that. She'd immediately scoff and go do something reckless just to prove she was no angel. She gave him a wry smile.

"Good morning, Commander."

Ben winced. "Don't shout," he groaned, raising the arm that wasn't wrapped around her to drape it across his face. Scarlett laughed softly.

"I'm not shouting. I'm speaking in a perfectly reasonable tone of voice. Clearly your rum doesn't agree with you. In hindsight, do you feel that downing half a bottle of rum was such a good idea after all?"

"Well it's not all bad." Ben lifted his arm to peer at her. "It did get me into bed with a beautiful pirate. When did we get into bed, though? I certainly don't remember it."

"I think it was sometime in the wee hours of the morning. What I'd like to know is when, and how, you found the time to fix my broken compass."

"I honestly haven't the foggiest." Ben sat up gingerly, Scarlett adjusting herself to make room, but Ben kept his arm around her waist. "I could tell it held some significance for you, and decided it needed fixing."

"I suppose I should get out of bed. The crew must be wondering where I am by now. Besides I need to get out of this ridiculous dress."

"It's not ridiculous," Ben protested, tugging her back toward him as she tried to stand. She turned to roll her eyes at him and Ben caught her face in his hands, kissing her briefly and gently. Scarlett blinked.

"What on earth was that for?"

"I just wanted to try it once while I was of sound mind."

"Your mind is never sound." She tugged his hands away from her face, holding them in her own for a moment before finally scooting out of bed.

"I need you to undo the laces in back so I can get this off," she instructed, turning her back and moving her hair out of the way.

"Are you trying to seduce me again, Captain?"

"If I was trying to seduce you, Commander, you'd be seduced."

Ben supposed that was probably true. He fumbled with the laces because he kept his eyes closed.

"Oh for heaven's sake," Scarlett said in exasperation. "Don't be such a prude, Griffith."

"I am not being a prude," Ben insisted, hearing the rustle of fabric as she changed her clothes. "I'm being...proper."

"You slept in my bed last night."

"You got me drunk."

"Yes I suppose I did didn't I?" Scarlett seemed amused by the notion. "Alright, I'm decent again, you bloody nun. You can open your eyes again."

He did so, wincing as the light made his head hurt again. He dragged himself up with great effort.

"There was a special upgrade I had Simon and Leon install on the ship yesterday," he said. "They're thrusters; they'll make the ship travel faster even if we lose wind. We should be fairly far out to sea by now."

"Really?" Scarlett looked intrigued. "I must admit, I was skeptical about all these newfangled gadgets you wanted to put on my ship, but they can come in rather handy."

Ben smiled. "Welcome to the new age, Miss Rose."

They left her quarters, Ben groaning as sun hit him square in the face. Scarlett patted his shoulder.

"Poor thing," she said. He lingered back a while as Scarlett went to join the crew on deck. He didn't think Scarlett wanted them knowing she had spent the night with him. When his head and stomach had stopped rebelling against him, he went in search of Simon. His friend gave him a questioning look as he approached.

"You're up and about rather late," he remarked. "And I didn't see you around the deck or galley when everyone went to bed."

"Yes, well. I was doing work elsewhere and fell asleep there," Ben said vaguely. Simon continued to eye him with suspicion.

"The captain joined us a bit later than usual as well," he went on. Ben shrugged.

"Perhaps she was tired from the party last night," he suggested, keeping his face and voice casual. It didn't seem to fool Simon though, who had known Ben for twelve years.

"Benjamin," he hissed. "Did you sleep with Captain Rose?"

"Technically yes-"

"Have you lost your bloody mind, you buffoon? She's a pirate and a notorious murderer and you let her seduce you? I expected you of all people to keep your wits about you even when dealing with an attractive woman. Honestly, this has to be the stupidest-"

"We actually slept, Simon, do calm down."

"What?" Simon stared at him, his annoyance replaced with confusion. Ben sighed.

"The captain challenged me to a drinking contest in order to dispose of the last bit of alcohol she had on board. I got more than a little drunk and we both passed out."

Simon stared at him for a beat and then promptly doubled up, laughing hysterically. Ben crossed his arms and glared at his friend while everyone shot them wary looks. Simon had to grab onto the ship railing to keep from falling over.

"You got drunk!" he choked. "That settles it. If we make it back home this is going to be my favorite story."

"Don't lecture me about keeping wits about you when there's a lovely woman involved, Tully," Ben said. "Or have you forgotten your behavior in the presence of a certain red headed lady?"

Simon straightened and wiped tears from his eyes. "At least I didn't get drunk and pass out in the captain's cabin," he snickered. Ben continued to scowl.

"Not a word of this to Emily, do you hear me?"

"Don't worry your dirty secret is safe with me for now. So does this have anything to do with why you promised to help Rose?"

"No. And I'm afraid I can't tell you my reasons for such a promise. You're just going to have to trust me on this, Simon."

Simon nodded. "I always have and you've never steered me wrong before." He leaned against the railing and appraised Ben thoughtfully. "You're falling in love with her, aren't you?"

Ben jerked in surprise. "What makes you think that?"

"Come on, Ben. I've seen the way you look at her sometimes. And your voice changes when you talk about her. It's nothing dramatic, of course. I don't think anyone else knows. But I know you better than anyone on this ship, aside from Emily, and I'm familiar with your mannerisms. Something about this woman has a pull on you. I just hope she doesn't use it against you."

Ben wasn't sure how to respond to any of that. Now that Simon had put it all into words it seemed so painfully obvious. But he didn't quite know what to make of it. He was spared further conversation on the matter because several men shouted in alarm and pointed to something in the distance. A large whirlpool, directly in their path. It was a ways off still, but too wide for them to get around in time. Ben joined Scarlett at the bow, snatching the telescope out of Nosebleed's hand and raising it to his eye. The water was frothing something fierce but Ben could see something inside the whirlpool. He lowered the glass.

"Is it an undertow?" Scarlett asked.

"Captain, remember when I told you that there would be obstacles and dangers on this voyage? Well, I'm afraid we've just found another one." He turned to Percy.

"Tell Emily to get Leon and set the thrusters to full speed. It will take a few moments, but eventually they'll build up enough momentum to temporarily lift us entirely out of the water."

"You mean fly?" Scarlett looked perplexed as Percy set off to fetch Emily. "What's this all about, Griffith?"

"That's not just a whirlpool, Captain. Take a look for yourself."

Scarlett took the telescope.

"What is it?" Nosebleed asked in a nervous whisper.

"It's a sailor's worst nightmare. We're sailing straight into the tentacles of a kraken."