Sequel: Dark Tides

Silver Spirits

Chapter Twenty-Four

They would be reaching the island any day now, and Ben was growing anxious. The map was fairly vague about what else they may encounter, but it seemed the obstacles were steadily growing more and more unpleasant. And now there was this business with Scarlett. Spending so much....private time with her the last few days had been wonderful, and Ben wouldn't mind spending the rest of his life in her company, even if his lifespan would be considerably shorter than hers once she found this treasure. He supposed it had been premature and a bit foolish of him to assume she felt the same, as was evidenced by her foul mood earlier that afternoon when he brought it up.

But Ben was nothing if not persistent and he was sure there was more to their trysts than merely wanting to have a bit of fun before their possible demise. It was certainly more than that to him. Simon had been right when he said Ben was falling in love with her. He had seen his friend giving him stern looks every time he vanished into Scarlett's quarters, but he had pointedly ignored him. Percy had merely turned away, seemingly unnerved by the whole idea of Ben and Scarlett together. Ben found it rather amusing. He pushed off the railing and went in search of the man in question, finding him down in the brig sharpening his ludicrously large knife.

"Evening, Percy," he said cheerfully. "Do you mind if I have a word?"

Percy eyed him suspiciously. "What about?"

"Scarlett sent me. She said you had a story I needed to hear."

Percy's frown deepened. "A story?"

"About her. About why she apparently shouldn't commit to anyone."

Percy's gaze grew dark and guarded. "I joined this crew along with my older brother. He made the mistake of becoming the captain's lover. Eventually he made the even bigger mistake of deciding he wanted out. Scarlett didn't take well to that. She murdered him and had his mutilated body sent home to our mother. You'd do well to stay away from her before you end up the same, Griffith."

Ben listened to Percy's story and his clipped warning thoughtfully.

"And you know for a fact she killed him?" he asked. "You saw her do it?"

"No, but I was in my home port at the time. I saw his body and Scarlett confessed to it."

"And yet you remained in her crew. Have remained loyal to her. Why would you do that if you believed that she murdered your brother in cold blood?"

Percy seemed confused by the question. "By then it was the only life I knew. And I couldn't very well get myself killed by Scarlett's wrath. My mother had suffered enough."

"You're positive she really did it?" Ben pressed.

"You've seen yourself how merciless she can be."

"I've seen her shoot a few people. I've yet to see her torture or mutilate anyone. Let alone a man anywhere near your size."

"She could find a way." Percy sounded less sure of himself. "And why would she confess if she didn't do it?"

Ben shrugged. "Who can say why Scarlett does anything she does?"

"I never really thought to question it."

"It's easier not to question what we first see to be true," Ben agreed. He thought of Scarlett kicking him out of her quarters and telling him after all this was over they would go their separate ways. "Sometimes the real truth is even harder to bear." He turned to leave but first laid a hand on Percy's massive shoulder.

"Whatever the real truth may be in your case, I am sorry about your brother," he said gently. "And also I'd like to ask you a favor. We'll be reaching the island soon. I'd appreciate it if you help keep an eye out for Emily. I don't want to see her hurt, and I have a feeling you don't either."

Percy nodded slowly. "No, I don't. She's a sweet girl."

"Yes, she is." Ben ascended the stairs back up to the deck. The sun was beginning to set as he made his way back to Scarlett's quarters. He knocked once and waited for her to tell him to come in. She seemed surprised to see him, since lately he hadn't bothered with knocking.

"It's been more than an hour," he said mildly. "Or do you still not want to see my face? Because I am rather fond of it and wouldn't want it shot off."

"Come in," Scarlett said, rolling her eyes.

"I've just spoken with Percy."

Scarlett leaned back in her chair, expression careful bland. "And?"

"And he told me about his brother. Tell me, was this meant to be a scare tactic to drive me away? Because I'm afraid it won't work."

Scarlett pursed her lips. "My killing a former lover doesn't frighten you? That's quite stupid on your part."

"You see, I don't believe you killed him. And frankly, Scarlett, I'm a little insulted that you would stoop to trying to scare me off with horror stories."

"I am a danger to other people." Scarlett stood and glared at him. "I don't go around falling in love, Ben, and anyone who spends much time in my company will meet an untimely end. Why can't you see that?"

"Why can't you see that you're not really the ruthless woman you're believed to be?" Ben's voice rose in anger. "I've spent these last several months in your company and I've seen behind the cold mask you display for the rest of the world. You are a good person, Scarlett. I don't care about your past. You don't have to spend your life alone."

"Maybe I want to spend it alone!" she shouted. "We've had fun, Ben. I admit that. But did you really think this voyage would be about anything other than treasure? I don't have time for silly romances."

Ben clenched his jaw, not letting it show that her words may as well have been a knife through his heart. "Very well," he said quietly. "I promised you I'd get you to your treasure. After we find it, if you still feel this way, I'll return to London and you'll never have to see or hear from me again. I have enjoyed seeing you again, Madeline. No matter what you choose, I wish you the best." He opened the door and stepped out. "Goodnight, Captain," he added softly. "Pleasant dreams."

He remained in a secluded corner of the deck that night, spending more time staring at the stars than sleeping.

"Not spending the night with your maiden fair?" Simon came and sat beside him.

"No," Ben said. Simon nodded but didn't say anything else. Though Ben did his best to give nothing away, Simon knew he was miserable. In the morning Ben was woken by a loud bellow.

"Land ho!"

Everyone stirred awake and sprang to their feet. Sure enough, an island loomed out of the early morning fog. Ben felt his stomach twist unpleasantly. The dangers they faced would likely only grow worse once they went ashore. He stayed close to Emily, helping her into the lifeboat after the anchor was dropped. He stared ahead at the island, which was green and lush and seemed every inch the tropical paradise. He didn't trust it at all.

"As you know, the map doesn't give specific directions to the treasure," he said. "It only says it's in the center of the island."

"Well then let's not waste time shall we?" Scarlett marched ahead and the rest of the crew followed her eagerly. Ben lingered near the back, Simon and Emily at his side.

"What do you think we're going to find at the end of all this?" Simon asked.

"A shallow grave," Ben muttered. Simon and Emily both stared at him and Ben sighed. He ran a hand through his hair.

"I'm sorry," he said. "I'm just on edge. The closer we get to the treasure, the more dangerous this little endeavor will be. Stay close together, understood? We need to look out for each other."

Simon and Emily murmured in consent. Emily slipped her hand into his, giving him a small smile. Ben squeezed her hand reassuringly. They climbed steadily uphill, the heat increasing as the day wore on. They seemed to be moving in a straight line, but Ben felt something was wrong. His suspicions were confirmed as they came out of a stand of trees and found themselves at the edge of the same cliff they had passed an hour before.

"How can we be going in circles?" Percy asked in bewilderment.

"Perhaps we should try to mark a trail," Ben suggested. "So we know when we're getting turned around."

They carved into trees and made marks on the ground, but still after another hour they found themselves on the same cliff.

"It's stopping us from reaching the center," Scarlett said in exasperation.

"This is your fault." One of the men was fidgeting anxiously.

"Shut up," Scarlett snapped. She paced at the edge of the cliff. "There must be some trick to it."

"Seems to me you've done nothing but lead us on a wild goose chase and gotten some of us killed in the process." The twitchy man's eyes darted around nervously. The heat and the going in circles was clearly getting to him. Ben edged a little closer to Scarlett, who seemed too distracted to pay the man much heed.

"Shut up," she said again.

"I didn't sign up to die out here for you!" the man shouted. Quick as a blink he had drawn the ray gun from his holster. Scarlett was facing away from him, and Ben was closer than Percy.

"Scarlett!" He moved without thinking, knocking her out of the path of the aether beam. Unfortunately he was not fast enough to dodge it himself. White hot pain blazed through him as the aether tore through the muscle of his shoulder. He toppled over the edge of the cliff. The last thing he was aware of was Emily screaming his name as the water rushed up to meet him. He felt a jarring impact, and everything went dark.