Sequel: Dark Tides

Silver Spirits

Chapter Twenty-Five

Upon realization of what happened, Scarlett found herself too weak to even stand. She fell to her knees as her vision faded in and out and her ears started ringing, only faintly aware of what was happening around her. First came the sound of a second shot, this one going clean through forehead of the man who tried to attack Scarlett. The moment it had happened, Simon had pulled a pistol from someone else's belt and fired the shot, eyes wide as saucers from shock. Emily was screaming and trying to throw herself off the edge of the cliff after Ben, while Percy held her back and tried to calm her down. Everyone else had gone all but silent, wondering why Ben was so significant if they had the map on paper. But when they looked to their captain, they found that the once proud leader could barely squeak louder than a mouse. She didn't even know what had happened. Why would Ben take the shot for her when she'd treated him so terribly? She trembled, fists clenched around the fabric of her skirt and eyes squeezed shut. She stayed like that until Emily's screams had died down to sobs, and Percy finally had a chance to hand her over to Simon and address the rest of the crew.

"We camp here for the night," he told them. "Someone build a damn fire. And don't gawk. There's nothing to see here."

The men diapered to do ask Percy had asked, setting up to rest in a clearing nearby as night fell. Emily had finally exhausted herself enough from sobbing to fall asleep, though she still twitched and trembled in her sleep every now and then. Leon took her from Simon, who's puffy red eyes were an indication that he needed some alone time himself, and carried her to a softer spot she could sleep while he watched over her. Like many of the people Emily would grace with her presence, Leon had grown rather fond of her. He'd talk about how much she reminded him of his oldest daughter, and he liked seeing Emily cry as much as he liked to see his daughter, Belle, in heartbroken tears.

Scarlett didn't move from where she was on the edge of the cliff, frozen and separate from everyone else. For hours, she'd just watch the waves below, desperate for any sign of Ben, but he was gone. Just like every other man Scarlett had ever cared about. She was in such a daze that she didn't even remember when she'd been crying, only realizing it after the streams of tears on her cheeks had started to dry. Above all, she was sad that the last time she'd been alone with Ben was for an argument over things she didn't even completely believe. She tried to be strong and independent, but there was nothing she wanted more in the world than for Ben to hold her and comfort her, like he'd done in the past.

Percy had been unsure of how to feel. On one hand, he'd never had a reason to like Ben very much. On the other hand, the man had definitely opened his eyes to what sort of person Scarlett really may have been. Not to mention he was so dear to Emily. He sat there beside Leon and watched Emily sleep, glancing up at Scarlett every now and then. He knew she'd been seeing Ben secretly. There was no doubt about that. What he didn't know was how much he seemed to mean to her. He hadn't seen Scarlett so devastated since his brother's death. He stood and slowly approached her, sitting down on the ground beside her and staring silently out at the ocean for a little bit. When he looked at Scarlett, he saw something so pale and sick-looking that she looked more like a corpse than her normal self.

"Have you eaten?" he asked quietly.

Scarlett didn't speak, just shaking her head lightly.

"Well, you should. You need the energy."

No response. Percy sighed and shifted awkwardly, slipping a hand through his dark hair as he tried to think of what to say to her. Of course, there had been the conversation he'd been meaning to have since he talked with Ben, though he wasn't sure if it was the right time to bring it up. Then again, maybe it was the perfect time.

"You weren't the one to kill Colton, were you?" he asked.

Scarlett lifted her head to look at him, almost like she felt sorry for him. She didn't know what to make of his expression. He looked nervous in a way.

"I did kill him," she said. "I kill everyone I care about, one way or another."

Percy paid close attention as she spoke, this time. Before, he'd tune her out when she'd bring up his brother. Now, he was thinking that maybe Ben was right.

"You didn't do it," he said. "For all of these years, I've been blaming you for my pain. But you didn't do it."

Scarlett felt her heart sink as she hung her head again, validating Percy's suspicions. She expected him to storm off, but instead he put and arm around her and let her curl up in his arms, tears threatening to come back.

"I didn't do it," she whispered.

"Why did you take the blame, then?"

"I didn't want you to hurt even more," she told him. "I thought that if I took the blame, you wouldn't be going mad over trying to find out who did do it, and going even more mad over how to get revenge. You were so young, and I couldn't do that to you."

"What really happened?" Percy asked.

"He wanted leave, and I told him that if he did so, he could never come back," Scarlett sighed. "I was so heartbroken that he was leaving me. I didn't want to see his face again. But I would never kill him for it. Never."

"Then who did?" Percy pressed.

"After I told him he couldn't come back, he decided to go home to your mother," she explained. "I went to seek comfort in Abram, of all people. He must have found out Colt was there through Abram. Why he did it, I never knew. Oh, Percy, I didn't want to tell you the truth. You would have been so much less hurt if you thought it was me."

She looked up to find that Percy had turned pale.

"That makes sense," he murmured. "Mutilation... I should have known exactly who it was."

Scarlett shuddered as she tried to hold back her tears, getting Percy's attention again as he hugged her tighter.

"Why does this always happen to me?" she hiccuped.

"You loved Ben, didn't you?" he asked hesitantly.

The question caught Scarlett off guard, but felt like a knife straight to the heart.

"He loved you," he added. "That was for damn sure."

"I'm cursed," she said quietly. "Every man who loves me dies a heartbroken and painful death."

"That's not true," Percy reassured her. "I'm still alive, and I love you."

"What?" Scarlett frowned, looking up at him.

"I love you, and I've loved you a long time," Percy repeated. "Not in the way Colt did. And certainly not anywhere close to the way Ben did. But I do love you. You're my best friend, Scarlett. You're like a sister to me."

Scarlett smiled and hugged Percy tightly, surprised at how much better she felt after what he had said. Despite all she had put him through, Percy still thought of her as his sister, like she thought of him like a little brother.

"I do love Ben," she finally admitted, the words sounding strange coming out of her mouth.

"I know you do," Percy chuckled. "Now, you should sleep. The men will want to continue tomorrow."

"Right," Scarlett sighed. "Percy, I've decided something. If this amulet even exists, I don't want it anymore. I'm not sure how much longer I can live with myself, let alone forever. I want to go somewhere secluded by myself. A farm, perhaps. A place where I can be alone and at peace until the day I die. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I want to give away the Spirit. I'll lead the crew, like I promised, but I won't take it for myself."

"If you say so," Percy nodded, standing and picking a limp Scarlett up with him.

He carried her to the dying fire to a spot where her crew wasn't snoring their heads off, plopping himself back down over there. Scarlett leaned in to him and closed her eyes, though she was far from sleep now. She wasn't sure she'd ever be able to sleep at night again.