Sequel: Dark Tides

Silver Spirits

Chapter Twenty-Six

"Wake up, handsome."

Ben pried his eyes open, altogether baffled to find a beautiful woman he'd never seen before pressing her lips against his. He tried to squirm away and she leaned back with a silvery laugh.

"Don't be so shy, sailor. I'm just trying to save your life." Midnight black hair tumbled around her pale shoulders and her emerald eyes sparkled with amusement. Ben was surprised to see how much of her skin was bare (really how many willfully improper women was he going to encounter on this expedition?) but then he realized with a jolt as he looked down that in place of legs, she had a gleaming tail in varying shades of silver and green. He stared. And stared some more. Surely this was a dream.

No, he was probably dead. He'd been shot and fallen off a cliff. This must be where sailors and Navy men went when they died. A white sandy beach covered in mermaids. Ben closed his eyes. He didn't want to be on a sandy beach. If he was dead he shouldn't have to think. Everything should be black and quiet and there should be nothing. For instance, no memories of a golden haired pirate captain who didn't love him.

"What's your name?" the mermaid asked. "I saw you fall. You had a nasty wound on your shoulder. I was able to heal it up a little, but you'll probably want to stitch it whatever it is you silly humans do."

"My name is Ben."

"Hello, Ben. My name is Ivanna. What are you doing out here anyway? You must be searching for the treasure but you don't seem like the usual greedy, desperate men who come here. You just seem sad."

"Wait, what?" Ben sat up. She had his full attention now. "I'm still on the island?"

"Of course, you silly goose. Where else would you be?" She smiled again. "I dragged you out of the water and got you breathing again. We mermaids can't resist rescuing drowning men, especially ones with faces like yours." She giggled.

"Perhaps you can help me a bit more, if it's not too much trouble."

She perked up. "Of course."

"I was separated from the rest of my crew. I need to find them again."

"Oh it must be those people who were camping on the cliff. They were finally able to stop going in circles. The island felt a bit sorry for them."

Ben scrunched his brow in confusion. "Beg pardon?"

"Oh you see, the island doesn't much care for outsiders. They're always so fixated on finding treasure. But if they realize there are more important things the island makes it a little easier. Just a bit. But it would prefer hearts filled with treasure lust not actually find the treasure. Is one of those people the girl you love?"

Ben stared at her. "What?"

"You were murmuring a girl's name in your sleep. Scarlett, right? You clearly love her very much. I could hear it in your voice."

"Yes," Ben said, the admission making his heart twist painfully. He tried to stand, finding that he wasn't back to full strength but he felt pretty good, considering he was shot and nearly drowned.

"Thank you, for saving my life," he said. Ivanna beamed.

"I'll help you find these friends of yours. You'll need to do some swimming though. Are you up to it?"

"Yes I think so."

"Follow me then, Benny." She tugged him out into the waves and held firmly to his hand as they swam. She led him to the mouth of a cave. Ben was a good swimmer but his shoulder was paining him and his lungs were starting to scream for air. Abruptly, Ivanna turned to him and pressed her lips against his. Ben jerked and she pulled away, bubbles rising up from her lips as she giggled. She pulled him along again and Ben was confused until he realized he could breathe easier. She was giving him air then, not trying some kind of mermaid seduction. That was a relief.

Finally they cleared the tunnel and Ben could stick his head out of the water and swim normally. Ivanna stuck her head up and drifted along beside him.

"Tel me about this woman of yours," she said.

"She's beautiful," Ben said without thinking. "And she's smart. And terribly funny even though she'd never admit it. She's braver than most men I know. She's a kindhearted person, sweet and noble. Though she doesn't realize it yet."

"I can't wait to fall in love," Ivanna sighed wistfully. "She must be crazy about you."

"No," Ben said softly. "I thought that she shared my feelings but she made it clear recently that she doesn't. So I suppose that's that."

Ivanna cocked her head. "Then why are you going back to her?"

"I made a promise. I don't break promises."

She bobbed her head. "I can understand that. We mermaids don't like breaking promises either. If it doesn't work out with her you're welcome to stay here with me."

Ben laughed. "That's very kind of you."

They encountered an underground lake, deep and black.

"They're on the other side," Ivanna said. "They're almost to the center but they have to find their way out of here first, and then face the maze. Come along, Benny." She pulled him under and they glided along through the water. Ben had to admit he was glad for Ivanna's company. He couldn't see a thing in the water but she seemed sure of where she was going. Faint light began to trickle down from the surface and Ivanna swam ahead. She stuck her head out of the water.

"Yoo hoo!" Ivanna shouted. She waved. "I think I found something that belongs to you." She pointed and Ben moved to the edge of the lake, dragging himself out onto the rock.

"Ben?" Simon and Emily spoke at once, their voices uncertain. Ben waved.

"Ben!" Emily ran full tilt across the cave as Ben climbed to his feet. She slammed into him so hard they almost toppled back into the water. She sobbed against his chest. Simon soon joined her, looking at Ben in awe.

"How did you survive? We were sure you were dead."

"Nonsense. It'll take more than that to kill me. I also owe some thanks to my friend here." He nodded to Ivanna, who waved cheerfully and laughed.

"Oh Benny, I'm so happy for you! I told you we'd find them." She clapped delightedly and Simon looked unsure.

"This is Ivanna," Ben said. "She's...enthusiastic."

Ivanna boosted herself out of the water, splashing her tail in the water. A murmur went through the crowd of men. She gave them all a dazzling smile. Emily finally released her death grip on Ben.

"I thought you were gone," she said, wiping away tears. She slapped his arm. "Don't ever scare me like that again!"

Simon moved in and embraced Ben for a moment too. Ben smiled at his sister.

"Sorry," he said. He was suddenly engulfed in a spine-crushing hug.

"Ben!" Nosebleed sobbed. "I thought ye were dead fer sure! I'm so happy you're alive!"

Ben grimaced, shoving Nosebleed off of him before he squeezed all the air from Ben's lungs. The man continued to cry like an infant and Simon rolled his eyes. Ben looked up and found Scarlett and Percy approaching. He tensed, trying to tell his heart not to skip at the sight of Scarlett. He couldn't read the look on her face.

"You have remarkable good luck," Percy said. Ben chuckled.

"It will run its course eventually."

"Congratulations on not being dead."

"Thank you Percy."

"You need to stitch that shoulder," Scarlett spoke up. "Sit down. I'll do it."

Ben hesitated. Scarlett crossed her arms and frowned.

"Come on, Griffith. You know as well as I do you need to tend to it."

Reluctantly, he sat on a rock and Scarlett rummaged through one of the bags until she found needle and thread. Percy ushered Emily away and Simon slipped away quietly.

"Making new friends I see," Scarlett remarked, shooting a look toward Ivanna, who had the crew clustered around her.

"She's quite charming," Ben said. Scarlett jabbed him harder than was necessary with the needle. Ben winced. "I was fortunate that she happened upon me," he went on. "Imagine my complete surprise to regain consciousness and find myself rescued by a lovely mermaid."

Scarlett scoffed, jabbing him again. "She's not that pretty."

"You know she offered to let me stay with her. She seems to like me."

"She's half fish, Benjamin. Some love life that would be." She snorted.

"Better than none at all."

Her hands stilled, and Ben instantly regretted the words. He ran his free hand tiredly across his face.

"Scarlett, I'm sorry," he said, his tone gentler.

"Your shoulder's done," she said. "You should get it checked by a physician when we return to civilization. I suppose I owe you, for taking the shot for me-"

"No," Ben said, quietly but firmly. Scarlett looked up at him in surprise as he stood. She rose slowly to her feet.

"You don't owe me anything, Captain Rose. I would never stand by and let harm come to you. That's the way it should be. And I realize I've been unfair to you. I would never...I would never ask you to give up your dreams or happiness for my sake. I want you to understand that. I just want you to know that I don't regret any moment that I've spent with you, and I hope you can always remember me with only a small trace of annoyance." He gave her a small, crooked smile while she continued to stare at him with a disbelieving look. He touched her hand lightly. "I just want you to be happy, Madeline."

"Captain, the mermaid says she can get out of this blasted cave!"

Scarlett startled as though from a dream. Ben stepped back and gestured for her to walk ahead of him.

"Well come on then," he said. "Let's go find your magic pendant."