Sequel: Dark Tides

Silver Spirits

Chapter Thirty-Two

Ben spent much of his afternoon with Simon and Emily. Even though the journey back home would take some time, he wanted to spend as much time with them as possible. He knew he'd see them again but he didn't know when, and it might be a very long time. Even though he had no regrets about his decision to remain with Scarlett, it made his heart ache when he thought of leaving his precious sister, or never seeing his mother or adoptive family again. The Weldons had been good to him. He supposed maybe someday they would all know the truth, but for now it was best he and Scarlett disappeared after she spoke with her father.

Outside of Emily and Simon, Edmund Triggs would be the only one in London to know the truth. Ben felt the man deserved to know, he had spent so many years searching and grieving. And Ben knew he could be trusted to keep the secret. As night fell, he let himself into Scarlett's quarters. She was standing at her desk, frowning at her amulet, which was apparently to be a new hobby of hers. She didn't seem to know what to make of the treasure she had spent a decade searching for.

"Are you expecting it to talk?" Ben asked.

"You never know." Scarlett set the amulet down and appraised him with the same frown she had given it.

"What?" Ben asked. "What unintentional offense have I committed now?"

"I just don't understand you, Ben Griffith. I haven't been the easiest woman to be around. I was actually quite terrible to you, and yet here you are."

"I'm a glutton for punishment."

"Oh shut up. Ben I just want to tell you that I'm sorry, for the trouble and pain I've caused you. I'm sorry that I-"

Ben didn't want her feeling guilty. She hadn't asked for him to fall in love with her, after all. He crossed the room while she was talking and wrapped his arms around her waist, kissing her into silence. After a few moments she managed to push him away slightly.

"I am trying to talk to you," she scolded.

"Yes, yes. I get the gist of it." Ben was already unlacing her corset. "You're sorry." He kissed her again, doing away with that infernal corset in record time. He couldn't fathom why women wore such things.

"Apology accepted," he added, lifting her off of her feet. "I forgive you, Scarlett. I'll show you how much I forgive you." He carried her to the bed and was quick to silence any more of her protests. Later, as she curled against his side under the sheets, she poked ha nose to get him to open his eyes.

"Why can't you ever just let me sleep?" he grumbled, opening one eye to stare at her.

"You can sleep later. I just really wanted to tell you, I'm glad you destroyed that map so I didn't kill you."

Ben laughed softly. "I'm glad of that too. And more glad still that you chose to let me stay with you. Frankly I was worried I'd have to wind up a spinster or marry Nosebleed."

Scarlett laughed. "Idiot."

Ben smiled and kissed the top of her head. "I love you, too."

"You know, he probably would take you up on that offer."

Ben grimaced. "That's the part that frightens me."

Scarlett rested her head on his shoulder, tracing circles on his collarbone with her fingertip. "Definitely glad you destroyed that map," she said.

"We've established that you enjoy my company. Now can we please go to sleep?"

Scarlett laughed again, kissing his cheek. "All right, I'll let you get some sleep. Since tomorrow your new duties as first mate begin."

"What duties might those be?"

Scarlett grinned. "Guess."

.::.::.::.


As soon as they dropped anchor in Port Aris, Simon was off the boat like a shot, even tolerating Nosebleed's company in order to see Evelyn again. Ben had never seen his friend in such a state. He tugged Scarlett from the ship, fairly dragging her along the cobblestoned streets.

"What has you so excited?" she asked.

"I'm taking you for your hat, Captain Rose. I truly feel that by now you deserve a hat with the largest feather in creation."

Which was exactly what he instructed the tailor to make, before heading out in search of another important trinket, this one intended for Emily. When he found what he was looking for, he returned to the tailor and found Scarlett proudly displaying a sapphire blue velvet hat, with what must indeed have been the largest peacock feather on all of God's green earth adorning the top.

"You will be the envy of every woman in London," Ben said, without hesitation. "Every woman in the world, in fact."

Scarlett beamed. When they made it back to the Spirit, they found that Simon and Evelyn had returned.

"Where's Noseb-Reginald?" Ben asked.

Evelyn giggled. "Well he and my awful Aunt Penelope were chaperoning, so Simon and I gave them the slip for a moment."

Ben shot his friend a sideways look but Simon made a rather grand show of ignoring him. Scarlett was smirking.

"Well we should be getting back before poor Aunt Penelope has a heart attack. I promise I'll have your dear Simon back before you leave." She hadn't taken her hand off of his arm once, and now she tugged him away to go catch up with her chaperones. Ben heard a giggle behind him and turned to see Emily with her fingers stuffed in her mouth until Simon and Evelyn were out of earshot. Then she burst into a raucous giggle fit.

"What in heavens name has gotten into you?" Ben asked.

"He has that same stupid look on his face that Henry had the day he met Liza. And as you recall, Benjamin, they were engaged within a week."

"Yes I remember. The eligible ladies of London were terribly outraged and scandalized."

"He was not only marrying a girl he'd just met, but an American at that. Father was so pleased by the scandal of it all that he personally spread the news every chance he got." This set Emily off laughing all over again. "Of course, Teddy didn't look any les stupid when he started courting Amelia, although he was at least able to hold back the proposal for a month."

"As I remember it, you found the sketches he had made of her and we're kind enough to show them to her when she visited your mother for tea."

Emily grinned. "I did. I also showed her that horrid picture of him as a baby in that ugly bonnet that he always tries to keep hidden at the bottom of a trunk somewhere. You know it's true love that she was still willing to marry him." Emily's look turned sly as she watched Scarlett and Ben.

"You know, I've been meaning to ask. Scarlett, what exactly are your intentions with my brother?"

The crew snickered and Ben rolled his eyes heavenward. "Emily," he groaned.

"Don't you take that tone with me, Benjamin Thomas Griffith. You, Henry and Teddy always play the overprotective sibling with me."

"Yes, well-"

"'Who's that boy, Emily? Did you just smile at that boy, Emily? Emily, were you out without a chaperone again?' Remember the first ball I was allowed to attend and the three of you teamed up with Daddy and filled my dance card with all your names? Plus Grandfather Weldon."

Ben couldn't help but smile at the memory. "That was Teddy's idea. One of his best I must admit."

Emily pressed on. "Or the time the three of you brutes nearly frightened poor Ivan Cartwright to death?"

"He was staring at you quite blatantly. He was practically drooling."

"He was thirteen years old, Benjamin."

"Old enough to know better."

"Brothers!" Emily said in exasperation. "Don't think I'm letting this matter drop. Little sisters can be just as protective of their idiot older brothers as older brothers are of their brilliant, charming little sisters."

"Ever so humble you are." Ben couldn't keep the fondness out of his voice. He was going to miss her fiercely.

"Speaking of charming little sisters," he said. "We should be arriving back in London just before your birthday. I feel quite awful that I'm going to miss it, so I got you an early gift."

He produced a small golden locket from his pocket. He flipped it open to reveal a whirring clock-like face.

"This is-" he began.

"It captures pictures and stores them inside!" Emily squealed excitedly. She snatched it from him and snapped a picture of his face, making him grimace from the brief flash of light.

"Emily!"

Smiling so bright he thought she really might glow she snapped the locker shut, and then opened it again. A holographic snapshot of Ben appeared, grimacing and calling her name. Emily flung her arms around him.

"I love it," she whispered. "Thank you."

"You're welcome, Em."

She then proceeded to go tearing all over the deck, snapping candid shots of every member of the crew.

"I don't want to forget any of your faces!" she said when they groaned. When she went to take a snapshot of Percy he held up his hand.

"You don't need a picture of me," he said. Emily pouted.

"Of course I do! You're the handsomest one here!" Her face flushed a delicate shade of pink at her exclamation and Scarlett snickered. Percy looked pleased with the opinion.

"You won't forget his face," Scarlett called. "You'll see it often enough."

"What?" Emily looked from Scarlett to Percy and back again.

"I'm going to London," Percy said. "To stay."

Emily's scrunched brow smoothed out, transforming into another radiant smile. She launched herself at Percy and hugged him tightly. Ben resisted the urge to behave in the brotherly way Emily had just scolded him for. As Scarlett had said so long ago, girls needed to grow up eventually. That evening as Emily went around snapping more photos for her locket; Ben had been sure to get the one that could contain limitless holograms; he went and sat beside Percy.

"Take care of her for me, you understand? If you break her heart I will hunt you down and kill you. And it won't be quick."

Percy actually smiled a little. "Fair enough. You have my word, Commander Griffith. I'll take care of her."

Ben nodded. "That's that, then."

He went to check on Scarlett, who had been none too pleased when Nosebleed and Simon returned to the ship with Evelyn in tow. She had insisted she wanted to see London. Ben had a feeling she just wanted to see more of Simon. His friend deserved love and happiness, so Ben was glad to have her aboard. Emily had soon collected a ridiculous number of photos. She would sit on the deck every day and scan through them happily, always lingering on the ones of Ben.

Sooner than anyone would have truly liked, they could see London on the horizon. They anchored the ship a ways out to sea; Simon, Evelyn, Emily, Percy, Nosebleed, Ben and Scarlett took a sleek new lifeboat they had purchased into the harbor. Ben had never seen Scarlett look so nervous. They came to where they would all need to part ways.

"I love you, Ben." Emily hugged him tightly. "Don't tell anyone but you were always my favorite brother."

"I love you too, Em. I promise I'll see you again."

"Ben," Simon said in a low voice. "I need to propose to Evelyn."

"Emily was right, you do work fast. It's only been a month."

Simon shifted, looking sheepish. "Yes, well, ah. You see what happened is-"

"You sowed your wild oats, hm Simon?" Scarlett looked like the cat who ate the canary. Ben's eyebrows shot up as Simon's ears turned red.

"Well. Congratulations, on the marriage and the...oats." Ben chuckled and Simon glared at him. Then his face softened.

"I wish you could be here for it. If it's a boy, we already decided to name him Benjamin. And if it's a girl," he paused and glanced at Scarlett. "If it's a girl we're going to name her Madeline."

Ben was surprised to see that Scarlett actually looked touched. She gave Simon a quick hug. "Have you told Nosebleed yet?"

"No and it's not a conversation I'm looking forward to." Simon grimaced. "I'll miss you Ben. I wish you both all the happiness in the world. I promise I'll take care of Em while you're gone."

Ben embraced his friend. "I know you will. Take care of yourself too, Tully."

Simon nodded, grasped Ben's shoulder for moment before moving away to take Evelyn's hand. Scarlett took a breath.

"Well, I guess this is it, then. I will miss all of you."

Emily hugged her. "I'll miss you too, Scarlett. Keep an eye on my idiot brother if you please."

"Of course. We're basically sisters now aren't we?" Scarlett smiled and wiped a tear from Emily's eye. "Don't start that now, or you'll set me off. Keep Percy in line for me."

"Aye, Captain." Emily saluted. Scarlett gave Percy one last hug, squeezing him tightly. "Goodbye, my dear friend. And to the rest of you, until I see your stupid faces again."

Finally there was nothing left to say. Nosebleed intended to walk Evelyn and Simon to Simon's home before returning to the boat, and Ben did not envy his friend for needing to tell the man that he was about to become family. Emily took one more picture of Scarlett and Ben waving goodbye. Then she turned and walked away with the others, disappearing into the London morning fog with a final backward glance. Ben took Scarlett's hand. "Are you ready to see your father?"

Scarlett looked petrified but she nodded. "As ready as I'll ever be."