Sequel: Dark Tides

Silver Spirits

Chapter Six

Ben was torn between wanting to thank or punch the huge burly man called Percy. Emily had a rather nasty bruise on her face from being slammed against the cell bars, but then a bruise was better than being dead. His kid sister had remained oddly quiet in the two days since the storm, sitting in her corner of the cell with her knees pressed to her chest. With the brig in such disarray, Ben could only imagine what the rest of the Silver Spirit looked like. The storm had been one of nearly biblical proportions. And it wasn't the last obstacle they would face on their quest.

"Is the small space still comfortable, Commander?" Scarlett's mocking tone filled the brig as she descended the steps and took in the state of things.

"Why yes, thank you for asking. Ever so kind and compassionate you are, Captain Rose. I don't know how all those ugly rumors got started." His voice was jovial as usual and Scarlett shot him a scathing look.

"I need to go into port to buy supplies to fix my ship," she said. "I just wanted to stop in and let you know that it would be pointless for you to try and escape while I'm gone."

"A good way to avoid that would be to take me with you."

Her eyebrows raised at that. "Take you with me? Why on earth would I do that?"

"No disrespect meant, Captain, but your ship is horribly outdated, pretty as she may be. Making some modifications to bring it into this new age would help you avoid having it fall apart with every thunder storm."

"Your point being?" she asked impatiently.

"I am under the impression that you are not as familiar with aforementioned modifications as I am."

"Why would you feel inclined to help me?" She watched him suspiciously.

"I'd prefer my crew not wind up in the locker having afternoon tea with Davy Jones."

"Davy Jones would not drink tea. Everyone knows he's a gin man."

Ben blinked, taken aback at the fact that Scarlett Rose had just made a joke.

"Of course," he replied after a beat. "How foolish of me. I'd prefer my crew not end up in the locker drinking gin with Davy Jones."

Scarlett considered for a few moments. "Fine. I may as well keep an eye on you anyway. We'll need to find you some other clothes first."

She opened his cell and he stepped out, giving Emily a small smile as the door clanged shut again. Scarlett walked behind him, directing him to her personal quarters. She nodded to the small lavatory and Ben slipped in to splash water on his face and attempt to tidy up his dark brown hair. He was in need of a shave by now; the scruffy and unkempt look was most unbefitting of a Naval Officer. He did a quick job of scrubbing himself down with a small bar of soap and stepped back out, where Scarlett proceeded to throw a fresh shirt at him.

"That should fit," she said as he pulled the shirt off of his face.

"You could have just handed it to me," he said. She simply shrugged. Ben hesitated, waiting for her to leave the room or at least turn around while he changed but she continued to sit on her bed, idly tossing her gun from one hand to the other. She looked up with an impatient frown when she noticed him still standing there.

"Well get on with it," she snapped. "We don't have all bloody day."

Ben shifted uncomfortably and suddenly a delighted and impish smile appeared on her face. "Why, Commander, are you shy?" she asked mockingly.

"Not the word I would use," Ben said, keeping his tone light even as he felt his ears grow red. He ignored her smirk and hurriedly changed out of his Navy shirt and jacket and donned the plain white shirt Scarlett had given him. Her remaining crew members watched him with distrust and open hostility as Scarlett led him down the gang plank and onto the docks. Ben had to fight the urge to fidget; his every instinct rebelled against wandering casually among thieves and pirates. If any of them got so much as a hint of him being a Naval Officer, they'd do their best to gut him where he stood. He would have preferred having a weapon, but he could fight hand to hand well enough.

He spent the afternoon wandering through various shops with Scarlett, instructing her on what gadgets she should use to upgrade her ship. She eyed most of the objects with doubt, but purchased what he told her to regardless; having the items sent to the ship. He promised to help her install everything and tell her how it worked. That more than anything seemed to pique both her suspicion and curiosity.

"You don't seem like most of the rich Navy snobs I've encountered," she remarked.

"Thank you for noticing. I take great pride in that fact."

"For one, I know you've been taking in every detail of this place since we arrived. Your attention to detail could make you a pretty good pirate. I've never seen a pampered rich twit like you."

"Probably because I was no such thing. My mother was a house maid."

Scarlett's eyebrow rose. "And how did a house maid end up with a Naval Commander for a son?"

"Her employer had a healthy respect for my eagerness and ability to learn. He took me on as a ward in order to send me to school. Most of the other families among the social elite were less than pleased. If he didn't hold the prestige and wealth he has, he'd never have gotten away with it. There were only a few people who didn't give a whit what my background was. Edmund Triggs, surprisingly enough, has always been more than civil to me. It's a tragedy what happened to his daughter. It almost destroyed the man. Madeline was a sweet girl, it really is a shame-" He bumped into Scarlett's back when she stopped abruptly. She turned to face him, genuine surprise in her eyes.

"You knew Madeline Triggs?" she asked.

"Yes," Ben replied, puzzled as to why this bit of information was important to her. "She was two years or so younger than me, but she loved my stepfather's horses so when her father visited he would bring her along and I would take her to the stables to feed and ride them."

There was a strange look on Scarlett's face that Ben couldn't quite read, but she shook it off quickly and he supposed he must have imagined it. She steered him into a shady looking tavern.

"I need to replenish my ranks," she said. "Try to remain inconspicuous and blend in." As she strode through the throng of people to the bar men stopped what they were doing to watch her pass. Scarlett seemed oblivious to it, but Ben definitely noticed the curious looks sent his way as he walked with her. So much for remaining inconspicuous. The bartender gave Scarlett a nod as she sat down and ordered two pints of rum. Ben sat beside her and adopted a relaxed posture as he took a sip of his drink and surveyed the crowded tavern.

"What brings the great Captain Scarlett Rose into my humble tavern?" the barkeep asked.

"I'm in need of some shipmates," Scarlett said. "A few daring souls willing to brave the high seas in search of adventure and treasure beyond their wildest dreams."

"Quite a sales pitch," Ben muttered and Scarlett nudged him sharply with her elbow. Thanks to the bartender, word began circulating through the tavern that Scarlett Rose was recruiting. It didn't take long for young and desperate hopefuls to approach her, using a multitude of tactics to try and gain her interest. Ben watched the spectacle in silent amusement.

"So, it's true what I hear. Scarlett Rose is in my town, causing trouble." A tall man with a jagged scar from his forehead to his chin stood in the doorway, four other men flanking him. Scarlett rolled her eyes and took another sip of rum.

"I'm not causing trouble, Abram," she replied. "I'm merely looking to make some new friends."

One of the men with the mysterious Abram leered. "I'll be your friend, Scarlett."

Scarlett's lip curled. "I'd rather chop off my own hand and go swimming with a shark."

"I don't want you recruiting here," Abram said, shoving past his man and striding to where Ben and Scarlett were seated. Ben tightened his grip on the handle of his mug.

"This isn't your town, Abram, despite what you think," Scarlett said, completely nonplussed by his threatening and hostile presence.

"I'll show you whose town it is, little girl."

Everyone moved at once. Abram drew a gun from the holster at his side. Scarlett launched herself sideways out of her seat before he could pull the trigger, Paloma a dagger in each hand. Abram's henchmen drew their own assortment of weapons, and Ben smashed his mug over the head of the nearest one. He snatched up the fallen man's gun and placed it against the small of Abram's back as he took aim at Scarlett again. Scarlett was poised to send one of her daggers through Abram's throat but everyone paused as Ben removed the safety.

"I don't think there's any call for this sort of behavior," Ben said conversationally. "We can act like civilized men, can't we?"

Abram slowly lowered his gun, and his men followed suit. Scarlett did not put her knives away. She twirled them through her fingers as she stared Abram down.

"I'll be out of your hair soon enough," she said icily. "In the meantime, stay out of my way."

"You'd best watch yourself, Rose," Abram snarled. "Your pretty face will only keep you out of trouble for so long." He gestured sharply to his men and they left the tavern. Scarlett glanced around at the staring crowd.

"Anyone else have a problem?" she asked, her words a challenge. There was a moment of total silence and then people returned to their drinks and conversation. Scarlett rounded up a few of the men, snapping at them to get their lazy asses up and follow her if they were coming. Ben fell in step beside her, eyeing the belligerent new recruits warily.

"Honestly, Captain Rose," he said under his breath. "I can't fathom why you choose to spend your time in the company of such a ludicrous parcel of driveling galoots."

Scarlett rolled her eyes. "If you keep talking like that no one will ever believe you're a pirate," she said. Then she pursed her lips and glared at him. "Also you should bear in mind that I don't need rescuing, Commander. I am not some simpering damsel."

"Of course not."

She studied him through narrowed eyes. "Why did you step in anyway? You could have let Abram shoot me and all your problems would have been solved."

"With all due respect, Captain, I am not a pirate. And that's not how I solve my problems."

"No," Scarlett said slowly. "I suppose it isn't."

They remained silent for the rest of the trek back to the Silver Spirit.