‹ Prequel: Ethereal

Purgatorial

Chapter 11 - Sink Or Swim

He's coming. Run. He's coming.

Several prickly needles marched over my skin, walking up my fingers and palms, making their way up my arms. They were fast approaching, not just up my arms... Up my legs, too. My lungs inflated, engorged balloons threatening to pop or burn. I wanted to shake myself all over, throw them off me. They were... they felt like dozens of spiders creepy-crawling their way to my mouth. The panic only grew when a series of squawks came from somewhere in the darkness.

I was immobile. There was no shaking them off and there was no lifting my arms to protect my head from the sudden attacks. Birds pecked at me, beating their wings furiously.

He's going to kill me. He'll kill everyone.

A flash of purple eyes had me screaming, only there was no sound coming out. My lips were tightly glued together. No, wait... they were... I wanted to twist and scream. My lips were on fire! I could feel blood running down, and the dozens of little legs sinking into my skin became hot flames licking every inch of me.

You're like him. A murderer. All of your family is dead because you couldn't save them.

An image of Mom and Dad flashed slowly. They looked happy, sending me and Dawn off to the Winter Ball. Nigel and Rose were in the background. Nigel was smiling with his boyish charm and Rose looked stressed. It'd been her trademark look. But then, the image started backing away, losing color, almost looking like a photograph. A photograph that caught fire at the corners; the edges curled in, destroying the hall and flames annihilated my family. Their skins waned, thinning. Soon, their flesh was red, I could see their muscles, their bones.

They stared at me without eyes, without skin or tissue, just as skulls.

I sat up, panting, sweating. A hand shot to my forehead as I dry heaved glancing around. There were no crows. My gaze sunk. No spiders. No fire. Just me in a T-shirt. On a bed. I pressed a hand against my chest, where my heartbeat was erratic, beating ten miles an hour. Sweet Mother... I skimmed my bare legs, then hugged my arms. There were no burn marks or spider bites. My scalp wasn't missing clamps of hair. My lips hadn't boiled.

Releasing a shuddering sigh, I became hyperaware of the boy lying beside me. Cameron hadn't moved much during the night. He was sprawled on his stomach, an arm thrown over my waist and instead of having his head buried in my neck, he was hiding it in my pillow. He was sleeping like the dead, which was pretty unusual for him. Whenever I moved, he moved. When I woke up, he woke up. The same didn't happen, but I was a known heavy sleeper, like Phillip...

The thought stopped abruptly. A bitter taste filled my mouth. Yesterday, Phillip had tried killing me. Worse, he'd tried killing his twin brother, the one person who would lay down his own life for him. I still didn't know why we were alive-how we'd managed to survive an Archangel and a Nephilim who was currently taking a walk on the dark side.

Carefully, I grabbed Cam's arm, lifting it off me as I slid off our bed. The wood creaked under my feet. I cringed, looking over, expecting to see sleepy black eyes. To my surprise and relief, Cam stayed still, limp and relaxed. Along his back, were faded bruises. I stiffened a wince. I'd never seen him heal so slow. No wonder he was still lights out.

Making the littlest noise possible, I walked to the small bathroom, washing my face. The sensation of fire closing in on me was vivid, the smoke damage helped me remember, though. Cam wasn't the only one who needed healing. Feeling strange walking around in only a Tee and panties, I grabbed a pair of jeans.

I was heading towards the stairs when my eye caught a shiny thing on the dresser. It was a necklace. Automatically, my hand shot to my neck. It's here, I thought breathing easy. Still grasping the amber star lightly, I approached the dresser and paled. It was Serena's pendant. Cameron must've pulled it out of my ruined clothes.

Instinct whispered what I had to do, it was natural. I was going to see what happened to Serena and Phillip after we left them. What happened to her. And with some luck, I might find out what changed our Phillip into a bizarro version of himself.

My stomach grumbled.

I looked at Cam. Yep, cooking breakfast was on me. Going downstairs, I crossed the space between me and the fridge, opening it. I pulled out eggs, bacon and butter. My specialty and the only thing I could cook without setting the kitchen on fire. Scrambled eggs with crispy bacon. I made the crispiest bacon. Not by choice. When I'd gotten the stove going and slapped some butter on two frying pans, I paddled over to the coffee machine. Something I knew how to operate since the age of ten. Back then, my dreams stole so much sleep, I'd needed a daily dosage of caffeine to keep me going.

I cracked three eggs, tossing the shells into the trash, feeling myself far away. I was wrapped up in the strange dream. Mainly because it hadn't been precognitive, there'd been no Power involved. I was feeling... haunted. My subconscious was haunting me with Cain, Phillip's words and acts had awakened my guilt over my family's death... I knew part of me still clung to the idea of it being a lie, that somehow my family hadn't died. The idea sometimes seemed stupid.

How could someone lose their entire family? In the space of one hour?

Maybe I felt that way because I hadn't had moments alone, moments where I wasn't worrying over being blackmailed or killed. Or maybe... maybe because I hadn't gone to their funeral. I hadn't handled the release forms at the morgue, Henry's grandparents had been kind enough to handle my Mom's stuff, Dad's and they'd informed me that Rose's family had been contacted.

It was a way of clinging. Of denial. Not going to their funeral.

Sooner or later, though, reality would set in. If I ever stopped being smacked in the middle of supernatural drama, life would normalize and I'd face the truth. An unchanging truth...

I jolted when warmth blossomed from my neck. Two arms caged me against the counter, pushing into me.

"This is a surprise," Cameron breathed against the slope of my neck. His tongue licked across his lips, accidentally brushing my skin. I felt body parts tense. "I thought you couldn't cook anything without your hair catching fire."

He drew his arms around me, creating a tight loving hug. My back glued to his front, feeling all the hardness he had to offer. I stood motionless in Cam's savory hold for a second or two, before wiggling like crazy, spinning to face him and loop my arms behind his neck. I pressed my face closer to his heartbeat.

"I tried not to make noise, I wanted to let you sleep..."

"Noise wasn't the issue," he tucked an unruly wave behind an ear, pulling back just so he could look at me. "I smelled food. Shockingly, I'm starving." I smiled at the sarcasm.

"I'm glad..." I wavered. It was too late, though. Cam had that look in his eye, that perceptive look, the one he got whenever he knew what I was thinking.

"You thought Phillip broke me," it was a statement. Not needing confirmation, Cameron dropped one arm from around me. His knuckles ran down the underside of my arm, eliciting jolts of pleasure like only he could. "It takes more than that to break me, Nina. I'm not going to stand here and lie to you-it hurt. But I'm not going to go catatonic and give up on him. He's my brother. Even if Michael says there might not be a way to reverse the fruit's effects, I'm not giving up. No matter what Phillip says or does to me. Besides," Cam tightened the arm still on my waist, pulling us together as he ducked, aligning his mouth with mine. "I still have you. And like I've said before, you're my everything."

Cherry lips closed over mine. The kiss started off tender, a light touch of lips. His soft mouth blended with mine. My lips explored his thoroughly committing their taste, curves and edges to memory. Within micro seconds, I became demanding. Cam rewarded my greediness by deepening our kiss. His hands grabbed my hips, hoisting me-

I pulled back startled at Cam's wince.

"Oh my gosh," I cried pulling further away, keeping only my fingertips on his forearms. His abdomen had a big painted bruise. It was yellowish. "I'm so sorry. I didn't think you were still hurting so badly."

Cameron grimaced, rubbing the sore spot close to his kidneys.

"I focused my healing on the shoulder tissue and muscle. I guess it took a bigger toll than I'd thought. Don't worry, little bird, and don't apologize. None of this is your fault." He took two steps back, leaning on the kitchenette's island. "I need to eat. Once I'm recharged, my Power will make me good as new."

I nodded, turning to check on the scrambled eggs and bacon before they burned. I was aware of Cam's eyes following my every move. It made me want to rush to him, throw myself into passion and say goodbye to problems. But... Yeah, we had serious stuff to deal with.

"How do you feel?"

"Talking and breathing still hurts a little."

"Your voice's a little scratchy." He agreed, sounding ticked off. Not at me. At Phillip. "Is there any OJ left-"

I whirled around, spatula in hand and eyes wide as soccer balls.

"Nina?" he asked, one eyebrow lightly perked.

"Did you say... Did you say... Did you say there might not be a way to reserve whatever happened to Phillip? And... fruit? What...? And "Michael said"? What do you mean Michael said-you talked to him?"

I'd been so happy about Cameron being himself instead of a walking shell, that I'd completely ignored what he'd said. Until now. Taking in a deep breath, Cameron began explaining exactly what happened after I'd passed out. I gaped at him like a fish. A dumb fish.

"Michael saved us?"

"Yes."

I squinted at his head. He could've been majorly hit yesterday. Because Raphael coming to the rescue I could buy, but Michael? The Prince of Archangels? The one Cameron mocked often, calling him the Big Boss? That Michael?

Cameron met my distrust with a comical fatigued frown. He nodded, forcing an humorist grimace.

"It's nice to see how quickly you believe in me." My shoulders arched and I tilted my head left, offering up a tiny innocent smile. He looked to the side, scoffing.

I turned to the stove, flipping the bacon before it got brunt.

"Does this mean he's a good guy?"

"No one is a good guy," he said absently. "If you're asking if we can count on him for help, or if I trust him, no. To both questions. He might have helped this once, but it's only because he messed up. Every Angel is under his supervision, even Archangels. When they screw up, it makes Michael look bad. Uriel has been doing whatever she pleases and now she's a deserter. If Michael doesn't find her and dish out a severe punishment, the Court is going to pounce."

"And that could cause a Civil War in Heaven." Raph said something similar once, when he'd asked Cam to play nice while Michael dissuaded the Court from Trialing him.

"Yep, and he really doesn't want that."

Cameron sided with me, opening a cupboard above the sink. I heard the scraping of a bowl and a cup. He put both objects on the counter, next to the plate I'd fetched for my breakfast. Then, Cam opened the refrigerator. First, he filled the tall glass with OJ; then, he filled half the bowl with milk.

I gave him a glance when he picked up the cereal box and poured half of it in.

"Gobbler."

"I'm a growing boy." Just to make his point, he dug out a spoon and thrust it into the cereal. When he lifted the thing to his mouth, it was filled with chocolaty pieces. He ate it and while crunching the cereal, Cam winked. My blood flushed cheeks didn't blip on his radar as he nodded his chin at the coffee pot. "Need a mug?"

"Ah, yes please." Cameron easily reached inside the cabinet, his long fingers curling on a blue mug. I would've had to stand on my toes and stretch fingers and arms to their fullest. Sometimes my height really bummed me out. "Thanks," I said, as Cam bee-lined for the coffee pot, filling the blue mug.

With a spark of mischief in his pupils, Cam placed the mug down next to my plate.

"It's always a pleasure to service you. If there's anything you need help with, just say so." Heat gathered on the tips of my cheeks. Hot breath coiled my belly, feeding the hunger I carried with me whenever Cameron and I were in proximity of each other. "I mean it. Anything."

My system cooled down once he gave up riling me for doctor and patient playtime. Honestly, only Cameron could withstand yesterday's events and come out thinking only about sex. Not only sex, I was certain he thought of other naughty activities.

When my breakfast was properly cooked, the bacon extra-extra crispy, I sat beside him in a stool, eating. Cameron was munching down his second cereal bowl. We ate quietly, me stabbing little pieces of scrambled eggs and him occasionally dousing his orange juice. I kept stealing glances at his profile, though, a thought rattling my noodle.

"I'm going to California."

Cam's jaw stopped working. He raised black gleaming eyes. They conveyed confusion while seeking out answers, incessantly, inside mine. Cameron was perfectly still up until he lowered the spoon and swallowed the poorly chewed cereal. Resting an arm on the marble, he stared at me.

"San Diego. Remember? Lucas and Etna are there. It's the safest place. The Veil protects every supernatural creature inside it. Locator spells are useless, and you can't feel Power. It's like everyone is human." I huffed a frustrated groan. I still couldn't believe I hadn't figured it out sooner. "Staying here, going to school, pretending everything is fine is stupid. I'm failing most classes, anyway." My thoughts continued to revolve around the nightmare that bolted me awake. My parents, Nigel and Rose were gone, there was nothing I could do. But I still had Henry. "There's nothing we can do here. I don't know how to fix Dawn and Cain-Cain's miles away tearing San Diego apart trying to find them. That's where I need to be. Close to Henry and his grandparents, because... Because they're the closest thing I have to family besides you and Phillip. I sent Henry away because he'd be safe... But it's not safe anymore." I said, feeling determined.

I slid off the tall stool, walking a bit, until I was near the U-shaped sofa. I shoved my hands into my jeans' back pockets, hiding jitters.

"Five months ago, Henry needed me. He needed me to be strong, someone who could protect him. Someone who could hold him, someone who could look him in the eye and say 'everything's alright'. Back then, I was too lost in grief and fear." I pinned my eyes on the animal skin tingling my feet. I shook my head before holding it high, meeting Cameron's studying quietness. "But that girl is gone. I can be who he needs now. And I'm not taking chances with his safety. I'm going whether you like it or not. Whether you come or stay."

Cameron had listened to my big speech. He'd been quiet, calm. It was a little unnerving. And when he spoke, his voice was somewhat soft, and his gaze was mindful of me.

"You think I haven't noticed? Nina, in our time together, I've watched you grow and change. You're right. That girl who wouldn't take chances, who wouldn't confront her fears, she's gone." I looked into his eyes, startled at the transparent agreement. Cameron got off the stool, walking to where I was. "You've become a woman. And I like to think," his knuckles brushed across a cheek bone. "I like to think you've made me grow into a man."

My heart damn near exploded in my chest. His bottomless eyes seemed to be smiling down at me.

"What does that mean?"

Cam's chest shook in a silent chuckle. He took my hips, bringing our fronts up-close and personal.

"Did you actually think I'd let you go alone? I'm not letting you out of my sight." Cameron leaned down, kissing me. I could taste the chocolate and milk. He smirked when I licked my lips. "There's nothing we can do here. Graduating is a bust. We haven't got a clue on how to fix Dawn..." Cameron sighed wholeheartedly, craning back his neck, glancing at the ceiling. "Uriel is in league with Cain, which means she might have gone there. And if she's there... Phillip will be there, too."

I dug out my hands and grabbed onto his arms.

"I hadn't even thought of that!" A little enthusiasm sipped into my blood. The thought of seeing Henry, even under these circumstances, was causing a major wave of optimism. "We'll find a way to fix him. We always find a way."

Cameron's right hand came up, he took my chin between his thumb and index finger. His head tilted. Our eyes locked together. Warmness swam the surface of his obsidian eyes. The bones in my knees melted into watery sugar, making me all shaky when he leaned down, pressing his forehead against mine.

"I love you, Nina."

As I eyed him through the dark strands dangling in front of my eyes, the purest truth smacked me right in the face. It was both shattering and exhilarating, exactly what I'd first felt when I realized I'd fallen in love with him.

I could never live without him.

***

Cameron went out to buy food for today and to take care of... Well, he'd called it 'guy business'. I had no idea what that meant. I just wanted him to be careful. Cain told us he'd unleashed three Cambions about a a week ago. Only Tyler had shown up, and the bastard was dead. Since the barrier was gone, they could've left. Or maybe Cain had been bluffing. Maybe he'd only set Tyler loose.

While Cam took care of food and whatever else, I was sitting on the couch. Serena's pendant was gripped in my hand as I debated what to do. Although, the answer was clear. I was only delaying it.

I needed to know what happened. Cameron needed to know.

Closing my eyes, I lied down on the sofa, breathing deeply. Power spiked my veins, heatedly. The yellow force had been freed. It ran upstairs to my brain. A Psychic's ability was focused in our brain. When I felt it gathered, I whispered to it.

Show me what happened in the Valley of Shadows, show me what happened to Serena. I asked once more and afterwards, it was like falling inside a deep tunnel. Memories flashed by, and I kept falling down the dark hole as Power searched for the right moment. I knew the exact minute I found it, because I slipped out of my skin, like the time with Etna's memories and the time I'd touched the Ethereal crystals.

I stopped thinking as me. Stopped feeling as myself. I wore Serena's skin, thought like her and felt what she'd felt.

***

Devil's Cove

Six Days Ago

I stumbled forward. My whole being was shaking. It was a sign of pushing my body too far, Magic was only limited by its user health. Right now, I was having a serious case of low blood pressure. Nausea knocked into me like a minivan. A minivan driven by an angry chimpanzee.

An arm snaked around my waist, pulling me upright quickly, a little too fast. My vision blurred and the Ethereal crystals' blueish glow spun in a whirlwind, making me wish I was color blind. The strong arm keeping me standing was joined by a twin, but then, one dropped away. A warm hand cupped my nape, guiding my head to a solid chest.

"It's okay. I've got you," Phillip's lips tickled a corner of my lips as he whispered. "I've got you." He repeated, this time slipping one arm around my shoulders. He bent at the waist, sliding his other arm behind my knees. Another sudden motion made me feel at sea.

I suppressed a gag reflex. Phillip folded me into him, pressing me so tightly that his unnatural body heat encircled me. It was like being inside a greenhouse. A greenhouse built in a desert. It made me feel better, though. Some Witches were extra special. Some Witches had affinity for elements because they were born on the Winter solstice or under the Summer solstice. The ones born under Winter had an affinity for water. The ones born under Summer, like me, had a strong connection to fire.

Witches like me were called... Phillip took off running, creating a spiraling headache that turned my brain to mush. Sweet puppy tails... I wanted to puke. That would be... anticlimactic. Puking over my boyfriend while he was trying to save us from an Archangel.

Phillip slowed down. He made a sound, between a gasp and a deep breath. There was a shout for his name. Behind closed eyes, I saw an explosion of bright color. There was a ginormous heat wave and then more running. Something broke... It sounded rocky. Brisk wind smacked us, completely chilling me to the bone.

"Serena," the hand on my shoulder squeezed, the gesture was as urgent as his tone. "Open your eyes."

I did almost immediately, only to have sunlight strike them, nearly rendering me blind. We were outside?

"Where are we...?" I asked, twisting in Phillip's hold. My eyes were cracked open only a sliver, but it was enough to see the crashing waterfall below. Behind Phillip, rocks had been kicked out of place. One of the other tunnels must have led here, a place where rocks were loose. By kicking them Phillip had found us a way out...

I looked down below. My stomach tightened in a ball of nerves.

"The only way out of here is if we jump." I nodded slowly, glaring at the rapids. At the tough rocks. "Michael's here. I managed to hold him off, but it's not going to last. I wouldn't ask you to do this if..." I turned to face him. He licked his lips. "If there was another way."

The thick lashes framing Phillip's eyes only made them more vibrant, stronger with life. When I looked inside them I felt at peace, understood, like I'd found someone to trust forever.

Blinking once, I said, "I trust you."

Phillip kissed me hard. It was quick. But like every other time our lips met, the world stopped turning. For us. The harsh sun faded into pale moonlight, shading us in a comforting nightly embrace. If we survived, I wanted to kiss him again. Better. And if we didn't... I wanted him to know he was the best. The best everything I'd ever had.

But there was no time. He pulled away and the world kicked into gear. Phillip held me so close I thought bones would snap. He drew in a deep breath while looking down at me, waiting for me to do the same. Taking what could only be described as the biggest breath in history, I met his ready stare.

Phillip waited no longer and jumped off the cliff. The fall was quick. It seemed like it only took seconds. We created a great splash, sinking way below the surface. Biting cold snapped at my skin like a thousand piranhas shredding flesh into confetti.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you guys like that Cameron hasn't hit rock-bottom, yet. What did you guys think of Nina's decision? And what do you think happened to Serena?