‹ Prequel: Ethereal

Purgatorial

Chapter 13 - California Dreaming

Cameron arrived at the barn with a haircut—sidetracking my thoughts of Serena. His hair looked just as it had when we'd first met in September. He told me he went to the auto-shop to pick up my car from its long-stay there, and had taken it to the mansion's garage for safe keeping. My quietness tipped him off that something was wrong with me, though. So, I told him what I'd seen. His hands did a lot of clenching and unclenching as I guided him through the memory. He didn't say a word about Serena. He got up, back stiff as a metal rod, and told me he was going to buy two plane tickets for San Diego to leave as fast as possible.

That was three days ago.

I busied myself with watching the luggage line moving forward, trying to spot our bags. We'd landed in San Diego's airport about half an hour ago and collecting our stuff was taking an obscenely amount of time. Or I was feeling antsy. Hours ago, I'd said goodbye to Vanessa after telling her what was going on with Phillip. Plus all the Cain and Angel crap. She'd cried. A lot. I wished I could promise her we would... That we'd find a way to fix Phillip. But the nightmare— the one from English class—where I'd seen the younger twin holding a bloody Azure Dagger, kept me from promising.

My arms drew tighter around myself. Cameron still had no idea Phillip was the one who'd killed him in my dream. I couldn't bare to tell him. Not with their last encounter so fresh...

Vanessa promised me something. She promised to keep a close eye on Dawn. I already knew she'd do it, they were best friends, after all. I inhaled shakily. They were my friends...

"Bags' are here," Cam spoke in my ear, drawing my gaze to his. A pinch of concern showed in those dark pupils. "Everything alright? You're a little pale."

I shook my head, "You know I hate planes."

"Right," he nodded. "Heights." He bought it, heading to grab our bags before they carried on. A sick feeling sat in my stomach for lying. Well, not all of it was a lie. My heart was still racing from the plane ride.

I ignored the massive twists and turns my stomach seemed so hell-bent on putting me through, focusing on why I was here. I was going to see Henry. For the first time in... Sweet Mary mother... I was going to see my step-brother for the first time in six months! A feeling I'd thought I'd never get again flourished inside, growing like a pesky week. It was a good feeling, the feeling of... familiarity. Even if part of me was afraid he'd... he'd take one look at me, run into his bedroom and shut the door in my face.

We finally left the airport, walking out into the sunny Californian weather. The sun was shining, palm trees stood on the opposite sidewalk. Everything was different from Haven Hills, shiny, almost like good vibes hummed in the hot air. It hadn't been this way before, when I'd left. Sure I'd had some good memories here, true I hadn't wanted to leave—who in their right mind would trade San Diego for West Virginia? And I'd left Dad behind. I hadn't been thrilled about it.

We got into one of the cabs waiting for passengers and I gave the driver Henry's grandparents address. It was on Oceanside. My house used to be there, too, way closer to the beach. Sometimes Mom would joke about our house being built on top of the ocean. Cameron's hand curled over mine, tugging me against his side. I snuggled close, letting my eyes wander outside the window.

"This is my first time in California," he shared quietly, brushing a piece of tawny hair from my cheek. "It's... warm."

A laugh escaped me.

"You say that like it's a bad thing."

"No, not bad. I'm just used to gray skies, damp air and a whole lot of pine trees." He smirked down at me. "I've been to other places, you know. New York. New Jersey. Montreal."

"Georgia, New Orleans..."

"Hell," he added dryly. I scowled. "What? It counts." Only in Cameron's head would a parallel dimension fit into a 'places I've visited' list. "Are you excited? You've got to miss your brother."

I nodded, my cheek rubbing against his shoulder. His arm curled tighter, molding me into him perfectly, deliciously. The glimmer of sadness under the happiness Cam felt for me wouldn't fool a blind person. It was strange. Cam always did a good job at hiding emotion.

His mask had slipped on the word 'brother'.

I didn't bring it up, knowing the last thing he wanted was to talk about his brother-issues. Instead, I shared little details from when I'd lived here. Hoping it would take his mind off it. I told him the story of how Nigel met my Mom. One day, I'd gotten a cramp while swimming far from shore. Being the shortcake I was, there hadn't been footing. I think I swallowed a gallon of sea water before Nigel saw me splashing wildly and went to rescue me. Cameron looked like he wanted to forbid me from ever swimming again, even in a bathtub.

I smiled, reaching up to smooth my fingers over his stubble. Hmm. He looked yummy like this. Hair shorter, messy, and a five o'clock shadow spreading over his chin and cheeks. Biting a lip, I chased away the naughty ideas before he noticed. Cam would easily forget there was someone in the front seat if he saw the heated passion in my eyes.

"I told Henry's grandmother you were coming with me. She was a little... surprised."

A dark brow arched.

"Is this your way of telling me I'll be sleeping on the couch?"

"No," I hooked a leg over his. Cam glanced down, eyes twinkling with amusement. Okay, yeah. A little further and I'd be sitting on his lap, my knee was pushing on his thigh. "My sudden visit caught her off guard. It's the middle of the semester, and well, I was always a good student. But I guess she let that go because of... of what happened. You... To her, you're a normal high school guy. You have a family. She had a hard time believing you were dropping classes—that your family was okay with you coming here, with me."

"How did you manage to convince her?"

Blood rushed to my cheeks. I wasn't sure why. Glancing at his chest, I put a hand over his heart. Sharing this—us—with anyone else felt sinful. A violation.

"I told her you loved me." My lashes swept up to meet his gaze.

Cameron brought a hand to my cheek, cupping it. He tilted forward, putting our mouths at very short berth.

"That I do," he whispered softly. Our lips brushed once. Twice. It was enough to get me hooked on his taste. "Does that mean I can sleep in a bed?"

"Pretty sure it does."

"With you in it?"

Fighting to hide a smile, I said, "We'll see. If you behave."

The time spent inside the cab was lost when their house came into view. The driver pulled up when I croaked out "that's the house". It was a big, modern colonial house. It was painted in a light shade of yellow. There were two big chimneys coming out of the roof—which I'd never understood. In all the years and Christmas I'd spent here they'd never gotten the fireplace going. The front lawn looked healthy, grass cut short and a red bicycle was limp next to the garage.

A breath caught inside. That was Henry's.

I was vaguely aware of Cameron asking if I was okay. I was transfixed on the house—on the small bike. Stepping outside the cab took massive effort. I was giddy and afraid altogether. Maybe… Maybe this hadn't been a good idea. What were the chances of Cain stumbling on Henry and his grandparents? San Diego was still the safest place, with the Veil and…

My lips parted.

Coming around the house, from the backyard, was curly haired boy I hadn't seen in too long. He didn't see me—at first—focused on kicking a soccer ball forward and jogging after it. I still couldn't say anything. He kicked the ball again…

"Henry?" I tucked strands away, stepping forward.

His head swung toward me quickly, letting the ball skid to a stop near the mailbox. Henry swatted the curly mess of hair out of his forehead, blinking gorgeous green eyes.

"Hi," I wanted to punch myself. Hi? How lame was that?

Henry hung back, shifting his footing. An affectionate smile played on my lips. He'd always been a hyperactive monkey. A really cute, funny one. I felt Cameron behind me, hoisting our bags, but he stayed in the background letting me have this… awkward reunion?

A door opened, the front door, I guessed—Henry totally stole my attention, though. He came running, hurtling himself at me like a freaking heat-seeking missile. I let out an 'oof' as his small arms went around my waist and his head buried into my stomach. Wow, he had a growth spurt. I snapped into action, somehow managing to get on my knees and wrap him up just as fiercely.

God… The last time I'd seen him, I'd thought nothing in life would be good again. I thought I would never hold him again—this moment, right here, it was everything and more than I could explain. There was no amount of pain or suffering that mattered in the months we'd been apart. Holding my brother—because blood didn't dictate who your family is—I felt a bleeding wound in my heart cauterizing, inch by inch.

"I missed you." He whispered into my neck. I smoothed a hand through his brown hair, fingers catching in his hair.

A shaky, heartfelt laugh left me, "I missed you, too, bud. I missed you more than you know…" I choked down a sob. The last thing I wanted was to cry, this was a happy moment. I was sick and tired of crying. "I'm sorry for not… For taking so long. Things were… complicated. I'm sorry." I kissed his hair still fighting back tears.

"Gramma said you were sad and you didn't want to make me sadder—are you happy now?" I nodded. Right now I was very, very happy. He gave me one last tight hug before pulling away, smiling ruefully. "I'm happy, too."

I smiled at him, without tearing up. A bag was dumped beside me pulling me out of our little moment. I looked up to see Cam with an epic smile, dimples making an appearance and everything. Okay, now I think my heart might explode.

I swear Henry's eyes twinkled at the sight of Cameron. Cam held out his fist, reminding me of their first meeting, but Henry threw himself at my boyfriend. Totally blowing my mind.

"Cameron!" He squealed. Okay, I thought getting up, brushing dried grass off my knees, I'm getting a little jealous.

"Hey, little dude," Cam stuttered, blinking down. I laughed—he gave me a dirty glare. Henry only reached Cameron's hip which… could be a little weird for him.

I stepped to them, grabbing Henry's shoulders to gently pry him away.

"Easy on the love, kid. You'll make your sister jealous." Cameron said playfully once I'd gotten Henry untangled. "Then you'll get me in trouble with her." He winked.

"What kind of trouble?" my little bro asked, very innocently.

Above Henry I gave Cameron a somber look, silently saying: Open your dirty mouth and there will be trouble.

"Like…" he began, smirking slightly. Oh no. "She won't let me have dessert." He stated oh-so-serious. Henry turned in my hold, staring at me with big eyes.

"You're mean."

"Hey—"

"Nina!" At the sound of an older voice, I stopped, whirling to see Patricia walking toward us. No doubt excited to see me, or at least to see Henry beaming a goofy smile. Henry skedaddled before he got sandwiched between me and his Gramma. Patricia flung her arms around me, holding me close. My eyes shut as warmness spread inside me. I hugged her back. "I'm so glad you came, sweetheart. I've been worried sick—these last few months…" she shook her head, pulling back studying my face. "Well, it's been hard. Harold kept nagging about us respecting your space, and saying we couldn't force you to come…" she whispered, trailing off.

"Thank you," I said. "I needed space to work everything out."

"What matters is that you're here now." Her smile was sweet, her voice caring. I'd forgotten how much I missed having her smile at me, like everything would be okay if you just wished it enough. After my Grandmother—Grace—passed away, I was eight. I didn't get to see her a lot, Mom used to say she filled my head with nonsense. I scoffed inwardly. Mom had been afraid of the stories Gramma Grace told me, the ones about Angels and whatnot. She'd been afraid I'd find out what I was—what we were. "Honey?"

I blinked as Patricia patted the graying bun, making sure no hair had gotten loose. But she was looking over my shoulder. Cameron. I reached with my hand for his, not even having to turn to find it. Cam took a step, standing beside me. I would never get to introduce him to my Mom, this was as close as I'd get, though and it was making me a little nervous. Because… I wanted them to see what I saw. The person who made me laugh, the person who made me strong, resilient and passionate.

"Patty," I kicked off. "This is Cameron, my boyfriend. I'm not sure if you remember him."

Cam took me back months ago, to a time when my house was still standing—the day Dawn and I picked up our dresses for the Winter Ball. On that lazy afternoon Cam went to my house to pick me up for our training session, I'd been waiting on the porch and Dad... He'd been with me. Cam met my Father and I think he liked him, really.

Using a charming smile to sway Patty, Cam tipped his head politely.

"Of course I remember him, dear. I'm not that old!" She chuckled. "And Henry's told me a thousand times over how your pancakes are to die for." She told Cameron smiling, her eyes crinkling.

"They're alright."

My eyebrows jerked. Cameron being modest? Boy, there is a first time for everything.

"That's not how he makes it sound, young man." Henry's Grandmother crossed her arms, a scrutinizing look on her face. "I hope you didn't come here with Nina without talking with your parents. Skipping school isn't a joke."

Cameron caught the protectiveness under the seriousness in her kind old eyes and took what she said in stride.

"My uncle was fine with it, ma'am."

"Your uncle? And please, call me Patricia."

"Yes, my parents passed away a few years ago. My brother and I live with my uncle." Patricia didn't have time to say how sorry she was, Cameron kept on talking. "Don't worry about us skipping school. It's only for a few days." Cam looked down at me. We'd agreed on staying in Cali, but we wouldn't be staying at this house for more than three days. Patricia and Harold couldn't know we'd actually dropped out.

"But you didn't need to bother coming—not that we're not glad to have you. After all, you've been very good to Nina..." A mad blush sprinted across my cheeks.

Just then, Cameron put an arm over my shoulders, snuggling me into his side.

"Patricia," he said. "There's no place I'd rather be."

I looked at his face, startled. The easiness with which he'd said those words punched me in the chest. A good kind of punch. Though, I wasn't sure how a punch could be good. I just knew those words meant everything.

I leaned my head against his chest, smiling to myself. Patricia blushed under Cameron's intense gaze up until he broke into another blinding smile.

She looked at our bags, clapping her hands, "You two must be tired. Come inside. I baked your favorite cake, honey."

"I wanted to help," Henry pipped up, grabbing a bag off the ground or trying to. His face went all puffy after lifting Cam's backpack five inches. "Gramma said I couldn't."

She rolled her eyes, "Because you would've eaten the dough before I could get it baked into a cake."

I chuckled. So true. This little rascal was a sugar monster. Cam bit down a laugh as Henry took a step with his heavy bag.

"Hey, champ, how about you take this one?" Cam handed him his guitar case, grabbing the backpack and throwing it over a shoulder. "Careful, I love that guitar."

Picking up my own bag from the sidewalk, I watched as Henry retreated with Cam's guitar into the house, Cam following him closely. Patricia's hand landed on my forearm.

"I'm glad you're here, even if it's only for a few days." I could tell she wanted to have me back—permanently. I also knew she wouldn't push. "That boy…" golden eyes jerked to her. "Henry likes him a lot, doesn't he?" I nodded. "Henry said he went with him to the hospital—that he stayed there with him."

"He… did. I never asked him to."

"Really?" surprise colored her tone. Maybe she'd thought that had been something Cam did to get in my good graces or something.

"Yeah, we weren't… we weren't even together back then."

"He's very charming." I heaved a laugh as we made our way across the lawn. "He seems to like you a lot. Is he good to you?"

Guessing this was Patty's version of 'the talk' I delivered a shy smile.

"He's the best person in the universe for me." Patricia had no idea, but that was actually the correct cosmic answer.

Giving her head a shake, she smiled nodding me inside. The smell of freshly baked lemon cake hit me the minute I walked into the living room. Cameron and Henry were nowhere to be seen—it didn't last. Moments later Henry came bouncing down the stairs, Cameron trailing behind him. He came at me, reaching for my bag.

"I'll take it upstairs," he said. "Henry already showed me our room." Our room. The tips of my ears burned pink-red.

He took my stuff upstairs. Henry bounded towards me and immediately pulled me to the couch, all but pushing me to sit. He told me about all the friends he'd made at school, about his new soccer team and how they'd won second place in some little league. He talked so fast I could barely keep up.

"Why can't you stay here—forever?" he meant live here.

"Because…"

Cameron plopped in the seat next to me, draping an arm my shoulders. He leaned toward Henry.

"Are you trying to steal your sister away from me? Not cool, little man."

Henry crossed his arms, his lips pursed in an attempt of seeming intimidating.

"She was my sister first."

Cam's thumb stroke my collar bone idly. He turned to me with a secretive smile.

"Kid's got me there."

"I'm not a kid! I'm ten and a half."

I squinted at my little brother just to rile him up.

"You're a kid. Halves don't count."

He frowned, "Yes they do!"

"Nope," I smirked leaning back, arms crossed. "Where's your Grandpa?"

Henry's legs kicked as he sat in the arm chair.

"He went to the grocery store. He went before, but he like, forgot Gramma's tea? She kinda kicked him out and said he couldn't come home without it."

"Wow," Henry nodded, giggling. "Patty loves sweet tea." Cam nodded absently. I hid a frown, "Are you okay?" I whispered, leaning in to kiss his cheek.

"Yeah. Perfect, little bird."

Henry cut my worry short, covering his eyes with both hands making an 'ew' sound.

"I don't wanna see you kissing! It's gross." I rolled my eyes. Yup, he was still a kid.

Patricia brought out the lemon cake and glasses filled with fresh cola. Harold got home—this time with the tea—just in time to see his grandson eat his third piece of cake. Seriously, where did he keep all that food? Harold gave me a sweet smile along with a hug, never a man of many words. Being the ex-army he was, Harold gave Cameron a long glare before holding out his hand—I'd seen a muscle jump in his jaw when Cam shook his hand, no doubt surprised by his strength.

Later, I offered to set the table while Patty finished diner. Henry had dragged Cameron to the backyard to play soccer. I shook my head remembering how he'd shrugged and gone along with my step-brother's wish. He really was good with kids.

"I won!" Henry pushed open the kitchen's door, smiling, pumping both fists in the air.

"Really?" I asked doubtful, looking at the much taller boy coming up behind him.

"Yeah! I scored six times."

My lips curled, "Six times?" from across the kitchen Cameron locked eyes with me. "I'm starting to think my brother could kick your ass, Cam."

A half smirk showed up, he shrugged. Henry ran out to wash his hands, Cameron was washing his in the kitchen skin. I moseyed on over to him, propping my hip on the counter.

"You're terrible," Cam threw me a look. "You keep doing everything he wants—you'll spoil him."

Cam turned off the water drying off his hands on his jeans.

"You say that, but you're smiling."

"Shut up," I slid away, turning my cheek to him. Because, yeah, I was smiling.

Cool fingers bumped my forehead, brushing hair away. Next, warm lips pressed on a temple at the same time an arm wrapped me up.

"I like him." It wasn't often I heard Cameron say he liked someone—honestly, I wasn't sure he'd ever said that. Except about me or his brother. "Phillip was a lot like that when we were kids. Hyperactive, outdoorsy—he couldn't stay still. Even after what happened… to our parents. He was always… I don't know, more childish than me."

"Is that why you call him little brother?"

"Well, that," he smiled, pinching my nose. "And because I'm six minutes older." I turned, pressing our chests, wrapping my arms behind his neck. "Hmm, you're giving all sorts of ideas, Rapunzel." He shifted, his hips brushing mine. A jolt of excitement spread through my body.

"Cam?" I whispered, standing on my toes, lining my mouth with his ear.

"Mmm?"

"What was dessert code for?" Distracted by other things, Cam asked what. "When you told Henry—about getting in trouble with me—what was dessert code for?"

"Huh," he mumbled. "Don't you know you're my favorite dessert?" his words were low, dipped in sex appeal. It took a herculean effort to push away. He looked winded once I did, smiling slyly.

"Behave or you'll sleep on the couch. Remember?"

Groaning, he nodded, catching my wrist. He pulled me in for a peck on the lips. Dinner went by slowly. I had to lie to Patricia and Harold when they asked about school. Or when they asked what I'd done for winter break, or if I was excited about Prom—ugh. Cameron had to lie, too. He lied about Raph's job, he lied about Phillip being okay. He lied a ton, but didn't break a sweat. Of course, he was used to it.

Later, I tucked Henry in bed and read him a book he personally picked out. When he was fast asleep, like an hour later, I stretched heading for my bedroom. I had my sleeping shorts on, along with a tank top. My body was on the brink of ecstasy as I thought about Cameron—about being alone with him. It was the perfect ending to a wonderful day. I cracked open the door…

"Oh, come on." I muttered, stepping inside, closing the door softly.

Cam was spread out, covers tangled at the waist. His eyes were shut, facial lines were relaxed. Cameron's chest fell and rose evenly, half of his face was buried in a pillow. Disappointment was quickly chased away by wonder. I crawled under the sheets, doing my best to untangle them from underneath him. The second I pressed into him, a strong arm molded around my waist, pulling me into a warm fold.

***

It was Saturday. The reason I knew, was because noisy cartoons were reaching my ears at… I lifted my head, palming the bedside table for my phone. I tapped the screen—squinting when it lit up, hitting my eyes.

"Ten in the morning…?" I asked, voice faded with sleep. I let my head fall back on the pillow.

"Shh," came a velvety whisper. Something warm glided along my nape—oh. "We're still asleep, okay? Let's enjoy our sleeping time." Cameron suckled below my earlobe. My whole body squirmed against his. "Let's enjoy it here. In bed…" he trailed off, moving his passionate lips to my chest, turning me over. Over the fabric Cam's mouth curled around my nipple—I grabbed his shoulders, digging in fingernails. Cameron's finger flicked over my hardened tip as he moved up, kissing me to stifle soft sounds.

Breathless, I asked, "What are you doing…?" in the mild darkness, he gave a lopsided grin.

"Do you want a thorough explanation on what I'm doing?" Cam lowered his hips on mine—Jesus. "Because I'd rather show you."

And as much as I'd love him showing me, we should stop. Like really. We were in Henry's grandparents' house. What if we got caught? What if someone heard… something? Cameron lifted himself above me, his lips pinching.

"You're going to make me stop, aren't you?"

I chewed my lip, "I don't want to…" Cam whined, hanging his head. "What if someone comes in? We could get—"

"It's fine," he said.

"Really?"

"No, not really." Cam sighed, then, like it physically hurt him, he rolled himself off to the side.

I turned on my side, facing him. Feeling guilty and hungry for him myself.

"I really am sorry, it's just…" I brushed a wayward strand from his forehead. "Tonight—when everyone's asleep." Cameron's head twisted toward me, a deviant smirk parading.

After getting up and getting dressed, we went down for breakfast. Henry was in front of the TV watching some sort of show. He barely registered us crossing over the living room. Patricia was in the kitchen making lemonade. She greeted us brightly, asking if we'd slept well. I resisted glancing at Cameron, I knew he'd have his eyebrows arched in suggestion.

Changing the subject, I decided to venture into my old life. I wanted to know what was going on with my old house.

"Did you manage to rent it?" I asked, knowing Nigel's house, the place we'd lived at before, had been left to his parents.

"Actually, a young couple rented it out almost two weeks ago. Very handsome young man, gorgeous young woman. You would've thought they were Hollywood stars, honey." I smiled tightly. It was good to know that someone was living in that house. It had... Lots of good memories. "The man's last name is really something, too. Very poetic."

My brows flexed together in question.

"Morningstar," she said, nodding to herself. "Yes, that's it. Lucas Morningstar."

A chill crept along my arms, zipping down my back. My fingers curled on the cereal box—tightly. Sitting across from me, Cameron's mouth parted silently. His black eyes hardened with a truth I couldn't crack. Because it couldn't be... He wouldn't be so obvious and cliché.

Then again, who knew? Maybe being obvious was the Devil's better camouflage.

"Feel like taking a drive after breakfast?" Cam whispered, eying me from under his eyelashes.

"It's like you're reading my mind."
♠ ♠ ♠
Just had my first exam today. I think it went well, now I'm off to study for the next one, on friday! Haha, let's hope it goes as good as this one. Anyway, enough of that! I finally got to write Nina and Henry's reunion. It was bittersweet for me and I love writing stuff with Cam and Henry, I think it's adorable.