‹ Prequel: Ethereal

Purgatorial

Chapter 16 - Sing Me A Song

We'd left my old house shortly after Romeo arrived. I'd been surprised to see him looking fresh, not shaggy looking like the last times. He'd gotten a haircut—his brown hair was shorter than Cam's. I'd wanted to ask about Jade, about her new life in New Orleans but for Cameron's sake, we'd left.

We walked along the beach for a while, waiting for Cam's bruises to fade. It didn't take long. We kept on walking, though. I could feel sand inside my tennis shoes, some even got into my socks—which felt strangely good, probably because I'd spent seventeen years running with sand between my toes. A little breeze whipped my chin length hair. My mouth twisted into a sour line. I missed my long hair now, a little, anyway.

Our fingers were firmly laced as we trudged onward in the sand, passing some people our age and even older who were lounging in their beach towels, others were heading out to surf. Cameron's caged feelings were palpable. He was a ticking time-bomb—I had to defuse him.

"I'm sorry today turned out so horrible." His head cocked and I could tell black eyes were fixed on me. I drew a long breath, inhaling salty air.

"You didn't do anything wrong. Don't apologize."

"Yeah, but… I was the one who wanted to come back—to see Henry. Now…" now we were smack dab in the middle of… of what? A war? A fatal game Cain was playing? "I'm not even sure what we've gotten ourselves into, Cam. Azazel… he scared me."

I was jerked back a step. Cam stood stone-still studying me, my eyes. Keeping my gaze he put an end to distance between us. Gently, his arms slid around my shoulders. He pressed our bodies close and it was wonderful—one of my ears was pressed to his left peck, I could hear the steady drum of Cameron's beating heart just as clearly as I heard the ocean's waves crashing on shore, despite noisy people and the traffic behind us. My arms were pinned, I lifted my forearms putting my hands on Cam's narrow hips.

"Everything about this freaks me out a little, too." He whispered, nuzzling my head with his healed nose. "I'm on edge," he confessed. I couldn't nod, but he got the idea I'd already known that little fact. "You're the only thing keeping me together, Rapunzel."

My eyes were shut as our embrace gave out love, trust and comfort. Wrapping us in our little bubble, everything and everyone fell away. It was just us. I wished it could be that way—forever. Cameron un-wrapped his strong arms. I whined—there was a chuckle, he stopped pulling away, keeping one arm coiled around my waist. His free hand tilted my chin, eyes flickering open, I saw him. His head was blocking the sun, the sun rays cast some sort of rainbow across his black hair.

"We're together, remember? I'll never leave you again. I always keep my promises, little bird. No one will hurt you. Not Cain, not Lucifer, not this Azazel and definitely not my brother." I saw the fire licking at the root-cage, hiding my body from sight—I saw the memory reflected in his black irises. My heart twisted sadly. Those moments when he thought I was a goner haunted him—tortured his soul. "Whatever happens…" he let it linger, brushing a thumb across my lips.

Staring at him with growing determination, I repeated, "Whatever happens."

***

Cameron and I took Henry out for lunch after our long walk on the beach. I was afraid our mood would rain gloom and doom on Henry's happiness, but the kid's euphoria was contagious. Watching Henry giggling at Cam's jokes or just at random comments only Cameron was quick enough to think of, lifted my mood. Tonight Cam and I were supposed to cook dinner. Patty and Harold were attending an art gallery show a friend of Patty's was throwing. Henry practically jumped three-feet in the air when Patricia told him that Erica—Henry's latest babysitter—wouldn't be coming to keep an eye on him.

We would.

According to Henry, Erica was boring because she didn't let him watch scary movies at night.

I was feeling a little bad for Cam. He was cooking and shouting out answers for Henry's English homework. Henry was a goober, happily writing down every word. That wasn't good—he should think for himself.

I strolled inside the kitchen finished with setting the table. I lightly tapped my little brother's head, glaring my big sister disapproving glare. He gave the most innocent smile. I was not swayed.

"Stop asking questions," I pointed down at the half-way done homework sheet. "You'll never learn anything if you keep leeching off of someone else."

"What's leeching?"

"It's taking advantage of something that isn't yours—like you're stealing." He wrinkled his nose at me, then down at the homework. He let out a sad okay. I smiled.

After we ate I cleared the table and put the dishes into the washer while Henry and Cam picked out a movie. Henry all but dragged me to the couch, jumping on it—already in his pajamas—I sat down on his left, leaving him between me and Cam. When the movie's title flashed on the screen I glared down at Henry's head—somehow I didn't think Erica would let him watch the Terminator. I felt too emotionally drained to tell him no. The clock was ticking, sooner than later Azazel would drag me into my mind and I had no idea what to do. I totally wasn't paying attention to the killer cyborg…

"Hey," Cam whispered. Blinking out of my stupor I felt a comfortable weight over my shoulders. I wondered when he'd stretched his arm over the couch's back. "Apparently this movie isn't thrilling enough to keep his attention."

Henry was curled up in our middle, cuddling into my side. Expression soft with innocence and ignorant bliss—something sometimes I'd kill to get back. Cameron moved with the grace and agility of a panther, leaving me abashed at how inhumanly skilled he was. He'd slipped his arms under Henry's ten year-old body, cradling him close to his chest like he did that every other day. Henry's little chest kept an even pace, giving no indication of waking up.

In no way did I think about having kids—yet. But seeing Cam… how he was with Henry… Yeah, it made my ovaries go boom.

I pushed the door to Henry's bedroom letting Cameron walk in. The lamp on the bedside table came alive before Cam even reached the bed. I tugged back the covers and watched as Cam lowered Henry onto bed, softly. I tucked him in, kissing his forehead before leaving and—I stopped myself, switching on the Batman night light.

Cameron was waiting outside, leaning on the opposite wall. Once the door was closed he held out a hand. I took it.

"I turned off everything downstairs." He lifted my hand to his lips, kissing my knuckles.

"What about the rest of the movie?"

"As if you were watching any of it?" he fired, smirking lightly. It melted into a delicious kiss on my lips. My body leaned into his—wholly. "Remember this morning?" he whispered between kisses. Yes, I uttered breathlessly against him as he moved us somewhere—taking my hips, wrapping my legs around his waist. Seconds later we were on a bed—in our room. Cam hovered, brushing an unruly wave from my nose. "Don't forget about it, but there's something I want to do for you first."

Cam's swollen lips brushed mine one final time, then he pulled away, marching across the room where our bags were. I sat up trying to understand why our make-out was being put on hold—what could Cameron want to do for me other than please me?

Alright, I wasn't thinking straight right now. Clearly. Because I knew Cam did so many other things for me that didn't involve… Huh. Cam unzipped his guitar case, bringing over his cherished dark polished acoustic guitar. He sat at the edge balancing it on his knee, like he'd done at school.

The first—the only—time he'd played for me.

"You asked me to play a song for you," he said, busy strumming the chords and adjusting some of them to his liking. "I wrote a song. I wrote tons, but this one is… special." His lips tipped upwards—it was an almost unseen gesture.

His fingers skimmed over the chords easily, brilliantly, producing a soft melody with a melancholic edge but there was more to it, it was vibrant—like it came from inside his soul, like Cam's music could transpire his emotions. His voice joined the guitar solo, sounding rich, captivating with a tinge of mystery. And as he spoke the first verse, I felt I couldn't break our stare.

"I walked alone, a dreamless shadow

Life was simple, kill or be killed,

But you cast a light—blinding me, forcing me to see…

Your eyes are searing

They don't let me hide—you see inside my heart, you own my soul,

You take everything I have—you anchor me, burn my lies and masks away,

When you're not around I can't calm down, hell breaks loose and I can't hold it together anymore…

So take everything I am, make it whatever you want!

Loving you is more than I can bare,

Being away a fate worse than death,

Every time I close my eyes—there you are, a vision haunting me, everything I've become… you slowly destroyed everything I'd built, wall by wall, you took everything and broke inside my soul,

I tried quitting you—run! Every instinct screamed…

But there's no lying—denying you is dying,

Your passion is a danger, my greatest adventure...

Your lips are my vice, your touch is my undoing…

You're under my skin—you've made your home… Taken me under siege and I want you, I invite you,

So take everything I am, make it whatever you want!

Loving you is more than I can bare

Being away a fate worse than death,

Make me alive, consume me—my love, my passion

We're two flames burning, dancing and melting into one,

There's no one else—I am all that you are, all that you've made me… there's no returning,

A chaos worth weathering over, something worth hurting for

You and I will never be the same—we're poison, branding each other forever

Two people, two separate bodies… sharing one soul,

Until my last breath… I see you and no one else—heart and soul,

All I was you took and made yours,

So, now, you've made me alive,

I don't belong anywhere, I'll always be with you."

I wanted to say something—anything. But what could I say? God, I felt like I'd start bawling the minute I opened my mouth or moved or…

"When did you write it?"

Cameron lifted the guitar, placing it on the floor. He stretched out on bed, bracing his head on a closed fist. He looked relaxed, the poster child for lazy arrogance but there was vulnerability underneath calling out to me.

"When we were broken up? I'm not sure you can call it that, but it was after you found out Lucifer's soul was inside me." After I turned my back on him when he'd told me he loved me. My heart squeezed tightly. I still regretted that—but I'd been so angry! "I practiced whenever you weren't home. I didn't want you to hear it."

Suddenly, a conversation from around that time came to me. Phillip said something about Cameron playing sad songs when I wasn't around. A stinging hot mess pooled at my eyes—I threw myself at him, causing Cameron to roll over, almost sending us to the floor.

My arms locked fiercely around his neck. Our foreheads pressed together.

"I love you," I said trying to convey that strange emotion—that feeling that eclipsed everyone and everything else until there was only Cameron. "There are no words in the world or enough kisses that can show just how much I love you—it's so… so much more. So I'll just say these words, over and over. I love you, Cameron Leale. I love you now, tomorrow—I'm yours for eternity."

"Just for eternity? I'm not sure I like it." He teased, voice hot, heavy with joy. His fingers twined in my short hair. "Eternity and day?" he asked just for me to hear, afraid the universe would catch wind of it and jinx it.

Smiling tenderly, like I'd done the first time I'd held him—after seeing what happened to his father—I pulled back a bit so I could dive and lose myself in Cam's labyrinthic eyes.

"Yes, darling," my fingertips caressed his cheek lovingly. "Eternity and a day—how many more days you want, I'll still be yours."

Our lips locked—Cam's hand trailed down my back, his fingertips adding delicious pressure wherever they passed. He flattened his palm on my lower back to slide it underneath my jeans—I jolted. Cameron's fingers grazed my minimalist underwear, cupping his warm hand around my…

Cam's head snapped to the only window in the bedroom, eyes dulled with lust. Hmm, what was going on? I didn't understand and frankly I didn't care about anything else right this second. My hands slid under Cameron's T-shirt, I dragged my nails across his washboard abs for attention—his body reacted on reflex, arching under me.

"Damn," he breathed mindlessly, eyes switching between me and the window.

I bestowed a rare sexy grin upon him, straddling him and grabbing the edge of my top. I pulled it over my head, sending it flying behind me. Cameron's mouth was parted in awe—I never stopped being amazed. It was hard to believe every time he saw me I had this effect on him. Strong hands fell on my waist, pulling me down—

My head spun to the window. Same as his. This time I'd heard it—the clack on the window.

Cam's head fell on the mattress, he let out a heavy sigh. Once I looked down at him, he was seething.

"Romeo's outside—I can tell by the scent." You had to be kidding me. "I'm going to chop off his tongue and feed it to him."

If Romeo was anyone else I would've told him off, but anger flickered to life whenever I heard his name or saw him. He'd betrayed us all those months ago. His betrayal resulted in Rory's death, the last person Cam and Phillip considered family. Gritting my teeth, I slid off Cameron's lap, snatching my top off the pillows.

Was he doing this on purpose? Maybe Lucifer thought it would be funny to crash mine and Cam's one-on-one time because we'd stopped him and Etna this afternoon from having heavy sex or whatever they were into. Although, I didn't think Lucas would be that petty.

I shoved my top back on. Yeah, right. He was the Devil, he could be that petty.

I reluctantly headed for the door, stopping dead in my tracks, whirling towards the bed. Cameron was still lying there, eyes shut as if he was enduring some harsh punishment. I cocked my head.

"Aren't you coming?" I said testily.

Cameron's eyes opened in thin slits radiating my own anger and repressed sexual needs. Groaning he shifted onto his side, sitting on the bed's edge. He glared down between his legs, I followed—a mad rush of blood sprang to my cheeks.

"I can't just make this go away. I'm a Nephilim, but I'm still a normal functioning guy in certain departments." He said pointedly. I bit my lip a little too hard still looking at… "You're not helping."

I drove my eyes to the ceiling, silently caging a laugh. He'd pop a blood vessel if I laughed.

"Okay, so… I'll go and when you… huh, want? You can come down." With that said, I left Cameron to his frustration and skipped down the hall, stairs and entered the kitchen where the backdoor was. From the window I saw a shadowy figure—tallish, broad shouldered, holding himself like a conqueror. Opening the door, I walked down the steps. A little part of me whispered to be careful, I was out here with someone who could literally eat my soul and turn me into a flesh-eating puppet called a Ghoul.

That was Romeo's freakish ability.

"Sorry to bother you at this ungodly hour," he waltzed from the shadows, standing under the backyard's light. A caustic smile etched on his face. "I hope I didn't interrupt anything."

I could see through his sly demeanor, even a blind man would've been able to hear the humor in his voice.

"Why are you here?"

"Don't sound so angry. It's not like I wanted to come here, contrary to people's belief I have better things to do than to play carrier pigeon."

"Really?" behind me a porch stair squeaked. Cameron stepped in front of me, half shielding me from view. "I thought being Lucifer's bitch was a full-time occupation."

Romeo's mouth twisted in a acidic line.

"I'm his bitch? He was inside you, not inside me. I think your memory's a little spotty, mate."

The air around us grew stiff—the yard light flickered, Romeo inched an eyebrow at him. Henry! My mind screamed. My hand rushed for Cam's wrist, turning him slightly to me.

"Keep it down. Henry's inside, remember? You are not starting a fight in this backyard—no way." The burning in Cameron's eyes subsided almost immediately.

Facing Lucifer's right-hand, he cocked his head.

"Say what you have to say."

"With pleasure," Romeo said in a chirp tone. I disliked him so, so much. "After Etna's endless crusade on how she couldn't be responsible for your death or the little Witch's, yada, yada, yada… Lucifer decided you should tell Azazel you will take Etna to wherever Cain is."

"Huh," I blinked. "Sorry, what?"

Romeo looked abashed for a minute, too. As if he were incapable of believing he'd said those words.

"Yes, I know. It sounds ludicrous. What can I say? Women have certain power over men, apparently even over the Devil." I'd say. "However, there is a plan. You didn't think he'd hand Etna over, did you?"

"I sure as hell hope not. Not after everything I went through to find her."

Romeo nodded absently, "The plan is simple. You tell Azazel you'll exchange Etna for Serena. You let him pick the place. Lucifer, of course, will go with you and so will I. I'll drag Azazel into Hell—to the Pits…"

"The Pits?"

"It's somewhere beyond the Domain, where the real torture happens. We have people being tortured there for centuries now." I gawked silently. Romeo chuckled sinisterly. "Like I was saying, I'll make sure to drag Azazel to Hell and Lucifer will kill this new self-proclaimed Devil. End of story."

Cameron snorted, crossing his arms.

"Like it's going to be that easy."

"Yes, it will. Lucifer's killed millions—both supernatural beings and humans. He won't be dithered by one person. This man—"

"Cain,"

"He thinks he can kill Lucifer, but I've never met anyone who can come close to doing that, other than Michael. Do you know why? Because there's no one out there with as much Power as them."

"Cain's dangerous and you're underestimating him." Cameron spat. "He has more than Power—he's got Magic."

"Magic won't save him if his heart's ripped out."

Cameron mussed a hand through his onyx hair, feeling trapped. He had a bad feeling, I could read it on his face.

"I'll be going now. Once Azazel has contacted you and you know where the trade will be, come to your old house."
♠ ♠ ♠
I wrote a song. Seriously, I wrote that song and it was hard. A million times writing books or essays. It was just... argh. Hard. Obviously I know everything Cameron feels for Nina and I wanted to show it in that song because it's one of the most romantic things he's ever done for her, kinda like the necklace, but it was hard putting it all there and not have it come out a jumbled mess of long phrases that didn't sound at all romantic. Hopefully I did okay and you guys will like it? Cam's supposed to be really good at composing and playing, so, if the song sucks it's all on me and well, sorry. Anyway, I hoped you liked this romantic and slight humorist chapter because I can safely say the next ones won't be romantic. Also, I'll be changing between Nina and Cam's POV

Please tell me what you think!