‹ Prequel: Ethereal

Purgatorial

Chapter 4 - Metamorphosis

The first thing I heard after coming to, was the wheezing of a see-saw. Or what sounded like one. A quick and short inhale told me areas in my throat were badly bruised. I choked on a breath, struggling to gather my wits, fighting to open my eyes and prove to myself I wasn't dead. Who knew what death felt like? I'd been close to death twice in the last few months, but I never thought about what it would feel like. Would you feel? I sure hoped not because if you felt like a punching bag even after death it sucked.

At the first strain for movement a wince crippled my resolve. My hip bone was throbbing, an ache so bad I thought a car had ran into me. Next, I became aware of radiating pain in my scalp.

My fingers curled up, a mute way of saying 'son of bitch'. Something got stuck to my fingers—under my finger nails. Maybe dirt.

I knew I couldn't stay in the darkness forever. Plus, like Phillip said once, strange things happened in the dark. Blinking was a hard task since blood kept pumping, furiously, behind my golden eyes. Even worse was keeping them open for more than three seconds, they wanted to flutter closed so I'd be drawn under to find relief.

Shreds of light came from a... I shifted onto my good hip. Strings of light came in through cracks in a boarded up window. The wood covering it was rotten, looking like it had seen plenty of bad weathers, rains and whatever else. I was inside a broken down room. The wall coverings were peeled, almost to the ground. I couldn't tell which color they used to be, because now they were dirty, looking someone had thrown a bucket of dark paint all over them. Same went for the walls they once adorned. Cracks ran from top to ceiling. And the ground I'd laid on was filthy. It was wooden and creaked every time I inched around, it was the see-saw noise.

This house, wherever it was, should've been booked for demolition. It looked one second away from crumbling. A total safety hazard. And I was inside it.

The last thing I remembered was being inside a classroom, trying to outrun a Cambion, and he'd whispered... things into my head. I shivered. Where was he? Why was I here? Where was here? Questions plagued me but no answers came to mind. All I could think about was: where was Cameron?

Did he even know I'd gone toe-to-toe with a Cambion?

I fought off a groan trying to sit up. The next minute was a whirlwind of wooziness. It was like the entire room kept spinning in a heavy pace. Fed up with sitting, I put out a hand, pushing on the floor, slowly rising to my feet. I stood on shaky as hell legs, though. Two steps in the barricaded window's direction nearly ended with me flat on the rotting floor. I reached for support on the wall, bracing my body's whole weight there, heaving. Due pain and exhaustion, I rested my forehead on the planks covering up the glassless window, squinting my eyes to see outside through the cracks.

I saw a garden with tall grass. I thought about tearing out the boards but there was no way I could jump from a second floor and stay in one piece. I needed another way out.

Down girl.

My head whipped to the doorless entrance but it was too late. He gripped my elbow and flicked me backwards. My shoulders met a wall before I landed in a heap, crying out.

The Cambion remained by the window, the faint light highlighting his profile. This time he wasn't wearing the hoodie. His hair was blond, dirty, I think. His face hard marble but tanned. It was difficult to see through the pain, though.

"Psychics are just as fragile as humans." He commented breezily, taking pleasure in my struggle to breathe steadily and not like my lungs were collapsed. "But they're much prettier than humans." A cold hand caught my heart in a vice grip. I didn't enjoy having my looks complemented by a kidnapper. He walked towards me with measured steps, each one sounded heavier than the other, each one made him look bigger and more intimidating. "You're looking a little worse for wear, though. Pity. But that's never stopped my fun before. I actually enjoy it."

I backed myself into the stupid corner unable to slide anywhere else, he was too close. My heart jammed faster than drum beats. A wicked smile spread.

"Where..." I stopped, coughing to clear the cobwebs in my throat. "Where am I?"

He didn't stop advancing. It took less than ten seconds for him to be crouching in front of me, so close I could feel body warmth. On the inside I grimaced.

"Somewhere. Don't worry, I made to sure to bring you somewhere your little Nephilim boyfriend knows. Now all he has to do is follow the trail."

"The trail?" it popped right out of my mouth.

My heart made a gigantic leap when the Cambion snatched my left hand, turning it over. He tore the gauze and in the middle of my palm was a sizable cut. I hadn't even noticed the gauze.

"Before leaving school I made sure I left drops of your blood along the way. They're tiny things. You better hope he's a good hunter." Hunter. Prey. Instinct. It all made me think of things Cam told me, about how anyone with Power possessed an animal instinct. I knew Cameron and Phillip didn't indulge it often, only when they were out hunting, but I'd seen it in Cam's eyes. The thrill of beating an adversary. Of killing. This man was consumed by that instinct and it scared me deeply. "Meanwhile, you and I are going to have a little chat."

I'd been about to say I'd rather gouge my eyes, but for fear of him doing that, I kept my lips sealed.

"Where are Lucifer and the Neph girl?" Oh, you had to be kidding.

Stamping on my most pissed off glare, I said, "I told him already. I don't know. Cameron doesn't know. We're both in the not knowing."

"Really?" How many times was I going to repeat myself? "The last time someone refused Cain he didn't give them three days to think. He killed them on spot. Like he usually does."

"You're a Cambion. Why would you be working for... whatever he is? Aren't you afraid of, oh I don't know... Lucifer? Because if you do find them, he's going to kill you."

A laugh rumbled the dude's chest. I didn't understand what was so funny about the Devil ending his existence. Lucas would kill Cain and anyone else who stood between him and Etna being together. He'd been ready to hurt his own family if I couldn't find her.

The blond rubbed his chin, still smiling. His eyes were mocking me and I got a bad feeling.

"Trust me, Cain's last concern is Lucifer killing him. Come to think of it, he doesn't have any concerns. He has no reason to. All is going according to plan." Plan?

I gingerly leaned my head on the wall, always on high alert for some brusque movement or seeking out hot and cold tingles hoping Cameron was near.

"If you knew what Cain has planned you'd want to help. It's the only way you'll get to live."

All aboard the crazy-express! Hurray. I mentally rolled my eyes, the actual action would've sent spikes of pain slicing through my temples.

"I can't help with his diabolical plan because he hasn't shared." The Cambion's face gave nothing away. He lifted a hand, edging it towards me, my chin. A breath stalled in my chest causing muscles to lock up tight.

You think you're smart, Nina. And maybe some other idiot would spill Cain's plan, but I'm not in a hurry to die. Cain kills people who talk too much.

My last thought before his skin came in contact with mine was that Cain killed anyone for any reason. Then, I felt sick. I fought a whimper as fingers clamped sharply on either side of my chin, bruising it. Lifting my hands, I pushed at his shoulders, only he kept coming closer, laughing both in my head and out loud.

How about this? he projected gleefully.

Then he kept going outside, "I kill your boyfriend and keep you for myself. I always liked prizes."

Shaking my head was impossible and I... I carved my nails into his shoulders which only seemed to drive him further. He touched his lips to my neck, where his fingerprints from earlier still lingered. I kicked out once before he changed from my neck to a far more intimate place.

"No," I cried in a whisper. "No..." the words had to be swallowed as unfamiliar lips crashed against mine.

They didn't taste like Cam's. They were hard, with a questionable taste. I realized the taste wasn't from his mouth. It was salty. Wetness clung to my cheeks. The only thing on my mind was: how far will this go?

I was shaking but the Cambion cared nothing for my well being. It thrilled him that I was cornered and still offering resistance, even though it was futile. I felt like a helpless rabbit trapped by a fox or hound. I flexed my fingers and rammed a hand into his cheek, digging nails in. I dragged them across his face. Suddenly my own cheek stung from being backhanded. I knocked into the musty wall full force.

Or we'll go back to the original plan, where I disembowel you while he watches...

Through slitted eyes, I saw him wipe the ruined cheek. The nameless Cambion got up, head turning to the patched window. A sneer formed as he regarded me.

Looks like it's show ti—

The mental voice was viciously cut off.

I threw up my arms, sheltering myself from flying boards and chunks of dry-wall. I peeked through the gaps created by my fingers, seeing dust hovering the air. A dry cough escaped just as I grew aware of welcome tingles and a sense of security set in.

A shadow moved in the room, parting the cloud of dust, charging into the Cambion. It was so fast the Cambion didn't have time to avoid him. The whole house rocked as the shadow rammed the Cambion into a wall, cracking it. I saw Cam clearly then, his back anyway. Trademark leather jacket stretched tautly across his shoulders, highlighting the tension and anger fueling him.

"How about I tear out your heart and keep it?" Somewhere along the way Cam landed a solid hit. The Cambion's nose cane was badly crooked, blood dripped to the floor. "How's that for a prize?"

Quickly, in an afterthought reflex, I wiped my mouth. Going as far as spitting to undo what happened. A growl emanated from Cam. His adversary smirked.

A fist flew at Cam. He didn't bother dodging. He did something I'd seen Romeo do to him, once, when we first met him in New Orleans. Cam caught the fist, seizing it tightly, tugging the enemy forward. Then, he twisted the arm left, bones popped loudly but the popping was drowned by the Cambion's howl. I had to avert my eyes as bone poked through tissue, at the elbow.

"I want to kill you slowly." Cam let out in a cold tone, catching the bastard by the neck, staring him down. "But I won't. She'll decide how I'll end your worthless existence."

Since Cam had been doing his best to please me and avoid fighting, to make up for lost time, I'd nearly forgotten how frightening he was capable of being. In his confrontations with Cain he'd had his hands tied because of the threat to Dawn's live. But here he ruled supreme. The Cambion's ability wasn't damaging, it consisted of projecting his voice into a person's mind. The only thing he needed to watch out for were the guy's canines, where the lethal venom was stashed.

He was the Prince of Darkness I'd seen on few occasions, tall, powerful and vengeful. But he was under control. Before I learned Cameron's darkest secret and fear, his Power had been wilder, harder for him to reign over when his emotions were too high, but ever since that night Cameron had gained more control. Which made him far stronger, like right now. Outside no thunder rumbled, all his Power was concentrated in his body, his muscles, making his strength higher than most supernatural creatures.

Another presence stood at the entrance, steadying herself on the door frame. Vanessa's clothes were wrinkly and her blue sweater had specks of red. Her hair was a giant blown mess.

"I searched the house's perimeter. I didn't find a soul. He's working alone." She drilled in a pant. Her eyes caught sight of me a second later. Relief swept her up as well as fury; fury directed at the Cambion Cameron currently held prisoner.

A thousand case scenarios ran me through. I couldn't even believe some things I pictured Cam doing to my kidnapper, but a rational half whispered workings of a plan.

Plan.

Cain had one. We knew nothing of it. Clearly this Cambion did. He wouldn't share of his own free will, no... Cain would kill him even if we didn't. And the heated hatred in Cam's eyes told me the Cambion would meet a bloody death.

"Bite him."

A look of bafflement crossed Cameron's face. All it took was a dry laugh and an inappropriate comment on the stolen kiss for Cam to punch the dude so hard, his head snapped left, earning a deft crack from the Cambion's cheek.

More broken bones.

"Bite him?" Vanessa inquired all the while inching inside the broken down room, eyes on the Cambion.

"Trust me." It was a wheezed request that got Cameron kneeling before me in a matter of seconds.

V quickly followed through with the biting. She wrenched the guy's head, keeping a steady hold on his hair, and I watched in twisted fascination as her lips pulled back from her teeth, showing elongated canines protruding from her gums. I'd seen a Vampire's fangs before, at Haven Hills' Park, when Vanessa's scorned maker fed on Cameron. But to watch someone I cherished, a friend, kind and pure like Vanessa in such a dark state shocked me. Her veins popped near the eyes as she jerked the neck closer, plunging the sharpened teeth in.

Cameron ignored the ongoing feeding session behind him, the howling pain didn't faze him as his fathomless eyes stole my sight and kept it. I shouted over the moans, "Don't kill him, just drain him enough for him to stay conscious."

Cam seemed oblivious to my orders, "I'll do anything you want me to, Nina. I'll kill him now. I'll torture him days on end. I'll bleed him, I'll feed him to rats, I'll cut out his eyes, his fingers, his balls—"

"Stop." He did so abruptly, never tearing his eyes from mine. "I don't want you to do any of those things."

"Well, I'm going to do something. He hurt you." Cam's fingertips deftly felt the forming bumps on my temple, the bruises on my neck and cheek. He wiped dried tears away. "He forced himself on you." It came out as a pained growl. "The bastard had the audacity of touching you. His death certificate has been signed, little bird. Whether you tell me how I do it or not."

"No, that's not the point." I stated, half surprised with the airiness in my voice. "I have a plan."

A dark eyebrow curved in question. I put a hand on his forearm, ignoring how shaky it was.

"He knows what Cain's planning. Vanessa can make him tell us. Feeding will render him weaker, easier for her to influence him. Plus, doesn't a Vampire's abilities get amped—for a while—when they feed on creatures with Power?" My brain was working fast, dodging the fatigue from being thrown around. I felt hyper aware. Power pounded inside, much more than I'd ever felt. Just like in Valley of Shadows, when I'd touched the Ethereal. It was almost like the pain... was subsiding. "Help me up."

Cam, who looked awed by my quick thinking and resilient nature, traced a hand over my jaw line, muttering some choice curse words. I think some were Italian. Right before he complied, he leaned in close, placing his ear next to my forehead. I held in a breath. His eyes were closed, he was intently listening for something.

"Everything sounds normal."

"Sounds normal?"

"Your body's functioning correctly. You don't have internal bleeding. Normal." It was my turn to be amazed. Cam wrapped a gentle arm around my waist, making sure to shift me against him.

"Watch out for the right hip."

He nodded solemnly. Shortly after, he walked us over to where Vanessa was. The Cambion's neck was badly tarnished, indicating she hadn't been worried about showing him mercy. He was fairly unmoving now, a heap. I found it oddly satisfactory.

"I feel different," V commented, wiping the remaining blood off her mouth and chin. It smudged her hand. "More powerful."

"It won't last." Cam pointed out. He regarded my assailant like one would a vermin, delivering a fierce kick to the guy's ribs. A secret smile played on his face as he watched the Cambion writhe. "Better revel in it while you can."

"He won't tell us anything. Cain will kill him if he finds out. Problem is, we'll kill him either way." Cam's head slanted, his lips brushed an ugly bruise on my cheek. "You'll have to pry it out of him, V."

"With pleasure." She crouched again, grabbing hold of him by the shoulders, sitting him against the wall.

"Influence him to tell you his name," Cameron pipped. "Then read his mind, see if he's lying. If he's not, he's not resisting your compulsion."

Nodding, our Vampire friend bored into the blond's eyes, asking for a name.

It took a while for his voice to dance out, to be more than a croak, but eventually we all heard it.

"Tyler..."

A beat of silence passed. The Cambion hissed at Vanessa when she probed his mind. Cam lifted a booted foot and stomped fiercely on Tyler's knee. His body spasmed as Cam shattered a vital bone.

"I'm in. His name's Tyler."

"Okay," I leaned a little too heavily on Cameron when a wave of dizziness broke surface. I breathed through my nose. Focus, I pleaded with myself, and it was miraculous. My head throb diminished as Power surged forward. A warmth grew inside me, something I'd experienced before, something that brought a certain Archangel to mind... "Ask him..." I hesitated, still perplexed in the change inside me. It almost felt like... healing.

But it couldn't be, I only had one ability. I was a Psychic, I couldn't—

"Nina?" V's gentle voice drew me out.

Looking up, I saw Cam eying me intently, lips pursed. Did he feel a change inside me, also?

"Ask him what Cain's plan is."

Instead of repeating my question, Vanessa's eyes pulsed as she influenced Tyler to answer whatever we asked.

With a curt struggle he started talking, "He wants to open... Hell and he wants to bring it here, to Earth."

Open Hell?

"What do you mean 'open Hell'? Open a Hell Gate?"

A shuddering laugh came from Tyler, causing blood to bubble from the wound on his neck.

"Don't... be stupid. Anyone can open a Hell Gate. To bring Hell here is to... is to collapse Hell into Earth." Yes, I remembered Cain saying something like that. A world on fire, he'd called it. But it made no sense why he needed Etna to collapse Hell into our dimensions, not that I knew what collapsing a dimension entailed.

"How does Etna play into this?" Cam asked in a cold monotone.

"I don't know."

"You don't know?"

"No," his head thumped against the wall, he panted. "I only know he wants her. I have no idea why."

Cameron's foot, still on top of the destroyed knee, ground harder. Turning remaining bone to dust. Tyler jolted in blind pain.

"Are you sure you don't know?" Cam asked when the screams faded, his voice a mock of gentleness. "I'd hate to break more body parts. Oh wait, I would love that."

Vanessa grasped the blond head, twisting him to face her.

"Tell us the truth." She instructed, voice low, hypnotic. "Tell us everything you know about Cain."

Tyler got brownie points for fighting V's compulsion. He even tried biting his tongue. Cameron wouldn't have any of that, though. He crouched, taking me along, and his hand shot for the neck wound. Tyler gnarled at him, snapping his fierce canines at Cam's wrist. Vanessa gripped the dirty blond hair harder. Finally, Cam sunk two fingers in the oozing wound.

The Cambion squirmed and yelled in agony. Cameron didn't relent.

"Tell me who Cain is." Tyler kicked out his good leg in attempt to throw off my boyfriend. Cameron grabbed Tyler's femur and trapped his thigh with a knee, then Cam made a brusque left movement, braking Tyler's left leg. "Tell me who he is! Tell me."

Tyler's face was red with exertion. Sweat poured down the hairline, blood flowed freely onto a shoulder and his breathing was labored. No longer the hunter.

"All right, all right... Cain's... He came to Hell when he was young. He... He started assembling Rebels, promising us things... Revenge against Angels. Revenge against Fallens. Things Lucifer was no longer interested in. He even got... He had people working for him, people inside Domain. People Lucifer trusted."

"Was that how the Rebels broke in?"

"Yes."

"What else?"

"Ever since... since Lucifer left Hell he's been taking Domain over, piece by piece. He's turning everyone in his favor. Those who stay loyal to Lucifer... They're killed. Most agree." Tyler contorted. "He killed his family. He killed your families. He's been stealing Power from others, adding it to his own..."

"How?"

"He has Magic. He has... some sort of ritual, spell, I don't know details."

"We know. How's that possible, what is he?"

"I don't know..." Cam's lips curved in an impatient snarl. "I swear! He calls himself a true Hybrid. That's all." He added quickly before Cam ripped out an arm.

"What about Etna?" I asked once more.

"I don't know..." Tyler whined, eyes slipping shut.

"Why isn't he worried about Lucifer killing him?" My hand subconsciously slipped down where pieces of wood littered the ground. Fingers wrapped around a piece.

"Because... because Cain says he can kill him."

At that, Cam let out a rich, dark laugh.

"He thinks he can kill the Devil? He's delusional."

Tyler's eyes snapped open furiously.

"Don't you understand?" he spat. I tested out the weight of the wooden 'stake', eyes trained on Tyler's left chest. Blood pumped faster. "Cain's evil personified. Don't you idiots feel it, in his Power? He's the new Devil—"

I took everyone by surprise. Drawing back my arm, with great effort, I stabbed Tyler's chest. I drove the stake as far as possible. Blood gurgled, seeping down a mouth corner. Still he moved. A warm hand settled on top of mine, tingling my whole being. Cam's hand, on top of my own, applied the necessary force to drive the wood deeper, silencing him, killing him.

Surely enough, when we lifted our hands off the makeshift stake, the cut on my palm had healed up, leaving a pink scar behind.