Golden Eyes

Lone Soldier

Boom.

That’s the sound of the beginning of the end of the world.

A simple…boom.

My eyes widened in disbelief as a pillar of blue light shot up into the sky from Stark tower, opening a portal to let in God knew what.

Holy shit didn’t quite describe the situation. My mouth hung open in doubt because there was no way in hell that I was really this. I mean Thor has told me stories but you don’t really quite believe something unless you see it for yourself.

Well I was definitely seeing it!

“Stark, I’m heading north east.” I said into my radio knowing Tony was connected. I could see his face pop up on my screen so I knew he was in his suit.

“What, did you stop for drive-thru?” He asked sarcastically and I felt bad because I had taken longer then I should have. “Swing up park, I'm gonna lay 'em out for you.”

“Got it.” I made the Quinjet veer right and before me was Stark tower and a holy shit load of aliens. I couldn’t help but make a TV series reference at this one. “Somebody needs to call in Scully and Mulder for this one.”

“Were you even alive for that?” Starks face looked at me oddly. I didn’t say a word, just merely raised my eyebrow at him like he was a fool. “Oh yeah. I keep forgetting about that.”

Fool.

Iron Man banks around his tower. I could see Thor and Loki going at it in a vicious battle on the tower but I really didn’t want to get involved in that one. I was no God, therefore I couldn’t fight like one. I watched as Iron Man came down the street towards me at full speed, causing a Chitauri to follow. I set up my aim and got the machine gun into position.

“Duck!” I yelled into the mouth piece and Tony dropped out of range. I pressed my thumb onto the trigger and let the bullets fly. The Chitauri started dropping like flies and I felt myself start to relax. Maybe this wouldn’t be so bad after all.

I wasn’t paying attention but Stark was talking to Natasha and I about a plan. “Fine let’s keep them occupied. Carson, can you try and to help out Thor?”

“On it.”

Thor and Loki were battling savagely. Loki fired energy from the scepter, sending Thor sliding across the floor. I look out my left window, finding the target. I banked the jet towards Stark Tower, aiming the minigun at Loki. This was for Phil. Loki looked up at me with a frown of anger. He was pissed, but not hurt.

Loki aimed the scepter at me and fired a blast of energy. I tried steering the jet out of the way, but I didn’t move it fast enough. Suddenly alarms started going off in the jet, making me aware that his hit had caused a massive amount of damage to the left wing.

“Natasha! I’m hit! Going down!” I said as I grinded my teeth together trying to angle the jet away from people while also making sure that I didn’t kill myself in the process.

“We’re already down. Find us as soon as you can.”

“Lemme guess, you’re in the middle of all of them?”

“Exactly.” I heard her smirk.

“Why do you and Barton always have the most fun without me?” I whined as the jet smacked into the street. Well that was done. It was a good thing SHIELD had unlimited money, otherwise I would be in some deep shit.

I kicked out the smashed windshield in from of me and pulled myself through it. A quick survey of my surround area told me it was okay to get out but that I had to move fast. Natasha’s coordinates showed me that she was on the other side of the block.
Running with everything I had, I threw myself over the debris of the city and its people. The Chitauri overhead were going around in battle formations shooting at anything and everything that moved. Almost there.

I came across the trio in the middle of a four-way street. Yep, exactly in the center of it all. Natasha had both her guns in her hand ready to fire with Barton covering her blind side with his arrows, ready to send them flying. The Cap was on Natasha’s other side holding his shield ready to fight for the city. There was a car between me and them so I jumped onto the hood of it and standing up straight with a smirk.

“Miss me?” I said with a soft purr as they all turned to me.

“Only on the days that end in a Y.” Barton said with a laugh as I front flipped off the car, landing on my feet perfectly. I liked Hawkeye. He indulged my weird self, no matter how inappropriate the timing was.

I avoid all eye contact with the Captain.

“Status update Romanoff.” I said sauntering over to her with a feral ease. I heard one of those Chitauri come up behind me from the corner of the building and I twirled sending out one bullet that lodge itself into its face, sending him to the floor. “Didn’t anyone ever tell you not to sneak up on a wild cat?”

I turned back to my friend and ally. She was about to give me the status report when there a noise that you just don’t hear every day. A noise that sends your blood cold and makes you want to run and hide. It was like suddenly the city lurches to a stop. There was a deep, primal rage of a bellow.
I gulped and slowly looked up.

With that roar, a shadow comes over us, completely covering the entire block, and it just kept coming. From the portal, a fucking Chitauri Leviathan flew out, inching its way into our world like a damn caterpillar.

I think I’m gonna need a bigger gun.

This thing started to pop things off of its body but I soon realized that it was just carrying even more of the Chitauri. Like fleas on an animal. It flew over us giving out another monstrous bellow, causing me to cover my overly sensitive ears. I looked up once more with my battle buddies, obviously out of our element. From both sides, the Chitauri soldiers jump off and attach themselves to the sides of the buildings, sliding down or crashing through windows to get in.

“Stark, are you seeing this?” The Captain said as I slowly closed my mouth trying to wrap my brain around what I was witnessing. I didn’t even know where to begin on fighting these things.

“I'm seeing, still working on believing. Where's Banner? Has he shown up yet?” Stark replied.
We were all caught off guard by that one. I had completely forgotten about him. “Banner?”

“Just keep me posted.”

We looked up and I quickly dove for cover by an upturned Taxi. Loki was taking his band of following alien monkeys down the street and firing at the street in a chain of explosions. It was smashing cars and hurling people as it kept going off in one final conflagration. There were terrified people running from Loki, looking over their shoulders, coming straight at us.

“Those people need assistance down there.” The Cap said pointing towards the bridge.

“I got it.” I pawed my way up and over the Taxi running and dodging between people. The Chitauri soldiers have landed near the group and they begin firing at them.

“Vanessa!” I heard him call after me but I didn’t turn around to look at him. I didn’t WANT to turn around and look at him. A man running past me slammed into my shoulder and fell to the floor. One of the Chitauri had been chasing him and it rose up above me turning its gun on me. Before I could even raise and shoot, Hawkeye shot an arrow into the creatures head, gaining a few seconds for me to keep heading for the bridge.

Racing over the plaza and jumping over dozens of exploding cars was not my idea of a fun time but I was oddly good at it. The cat like reflexes really helped out. Ah yeah, I was a fucking Cheetah!
I reached a group of cops as they continuously fire at the flying chariots. It's pretty pointless. A young cop ran over to his police sergeant just as I made it to them. It was then I realized I had been followed. I had to hold back a growl from deep inside me. I could do this myself.

“We need to get out! They gotta bring the National Guard!” The young cop started shouting to be heard over the explosions and gun fire.

“National Guard? Does the army know what's happening here?” The Sergeant asked incredulously.

“Do we?” Good point.

I startled them out of their little chat as I jumped in front of them causing them both to raise their guns towards me. I held up a hand to stop them from shooting.

“On your side guys!” They looked skeptical but they lowered their weapons. I was beginning to give them instructions when I heard a thud on the cop car behind me and I saw the men before me look up with their eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

“I need men in these buildings. There are people inside that can run into the line of fire. You take them through the basement or through the subway. You keep them off the streets. I need a perimeter as far back as 39th.” He just had to take my spotlight didn’t he? Was it so wrong for me to want to take the lead in something in something for once?

“Why the hell should I take orders from you?” The Sergeant asked like this man before him couldn’t be anymore ridiculous.

“Because he’s Captain American. Dontchu know?” I felt myself purr this out but I did it with an annoyed eye roll. The man just looked at me like he couldn’t decide to either be in love with me or lock me up in the Psych Ward. He decided to go with the latter as there was loud explosion coming up from behind me. I didn’t even flinch until Cap pushed my head down and crouched behind me, blocking the cops and I with his shield from being hit by an energy blast. Two Chitauri soldiers started to attack. The cops watched in shock and amazement as both the Cap and I did what we had to do to stop them. I had ended up snapping the things neck to get it to go down.

The Sergeant turned to his officer. “I need men in those buildings, lead the people down and away from the streets. I need a perimeter as far back as 39th.”

I started walking away after that.

“Vanessa, wait-.” He grabbed my arm and I yanked away from his touch like he burned me. I hissed and took a step back. I was sure my fury shown through my golden eyes like fire. “I-.”

“I don’t need your help Rogers. Not anymore.” And to show him I meant that I took down three more Chitauri with my weapon as they approached before grabbing onto a fourth one that flew by me. My hand grabbed onto the back of the soldiers chariot and I held on, shooting it between the eyes when it turned to kick me off. I only let go of the short ride of transportation when I was over Barton and Romanoff. I landed with a silent ease onto the street beside them taking up arms once more.

I left the Captain back there with his mouth hanging open.