Status: Active

Worlds Apart.

Jarrett

So it took a little while to kind of take everything in that was happening. That happened/ had the potential to happen I should say. Because if I wasn't mistaken it seemed like my boss was flirting with me last night.

It could have been the alcohol talking, but more than 25% of my being told me maybe not. Because although he was intoxicated, he carried himself rather well and was very coherent at all times. So I was pretty sure he was being overly friendly to me with intention.

But was he doing it out of feelings he might have, or was it a manipulation tactic to get me to do my job better?

Like hey let me pretend that I like you so you'll do what I say when I say it and whatnot. I mean, did I really think that? No, not at all. But look at me. I used to be a party animal who dated an alcoholic for months and months so I don't really have the best judgment making skills.

But I wasn't about to get crazy about it. His driver was picking me up soon and I was nearly ready but not quite.

The last thing I wanted was to be late or keep his driver waiting. So I hurried up and did something with my hair and clothes that looked remotely acceptable and called it at that.

I wondered how long it took Carter to get ready. He always looked so... put together. Like even when he was drunk off his ass he still managed to keep himself dignified as he could. Props to him.

I wrote my sister a note letting her know where I was going so she wouldn't think I was abducted or anything stupid like that. I'd probably come home later to see it still sitting at her place at the dinner table because she hasn't really been home much lately. But then again, neither have I.

The beep of the horn scared me to the point that the pen slipped out of my grasp and I messed up a word. But being the lazy person that I am, I didn't try to fix it. I just left it, and then left the house.

So a weird part of me thought that Carter would actually be in the car when it arrived but he was nowhere to be found.

I didn't know if my abduction theory was actually right or if he intended to make me feel scared shitless.

"Um, excuse me where is Mr. Sinclair?" I asked as calmly as possible.

Shit what if this is the wrong driver that came to the wrong place. How embarrassing. Shit this is just my luck.

"He got held up at the office and didn't want to keep you waiting. He'll be there shortly after you arrive, Sir."

Wait what?

He wasn't supposed to go in today. But I guess when you're the boss you kinda have to go in when you're needed.

"Oh okay thank you. Just making sure I'm in the right car that's all," I said with a nervous laugh that I totally didn't mean for to come out.

Pretty sure I sweat through most of what I'm wearing so that's a great start. Oh boy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So the driver was wrong, Carter was already at the restaurant before I got there. Maybe he didn't get as held up as he thought.

Or maybe he wasn't at the office at all.

Perhaps there was just a miscommunication somewhere along the lines.

But I didn't care much, because everything worked out.

And he was looking extra fucking good for some reason.

"Your driver told me that 'd you'd be late. I hope you didn't leave anything too important to come here." I said shyly.

He almost smirked at me.

"Relax, Jarrett. If I couldn't be here then I wouldn't be here."

Wow.

So I guess I'm kind of a big deal?

Or maybe he's just being cocky.

I decided to accept the first option to make myself feel better.

"So I recommend the seared beef salad. It's big and rather delicious. I'm getting it but you you don't have to if you don't want to."

I picked up my menu and tried to look for something. I wanted to get what he suggested but I didn't want to seem too conforming.

"That does sound good, I think I might do that actually. If I hate it I'm totally hating you for at least an hour."

He smiled and shut his menu.

"Fair enough."

When our waiter came Carter ordered for us both and to be honest it was kind of sweet.

I had a feeling that we were being sort of flirty with each other but we were so indirect about it.

But I liked it.

And his smile was almost permanent. I never got to see him like this at work, but out of his element he lost his seriousness and he was a totally different man.

"Thank you so much," he said to the man who delivered our food.

It looked amazing and smelled even better.

"Wow it is huge."

He only smiled again and dug in with his fork.

We had a comfortable silence while we ate. It wasn't awkward or anything, it was nice. It felt good.

He made me feel good.

And that scared me.

"Well it seems to me that you absolutely hated it considering you only have one leaf of lettuce left in your bowl," he said with a laugh.

I blushed.

"It was the best salad I ever had. Looks like you're still on my good side. For now."

And the only thing that made the afternoon even better was the fact that he paid for everything. He refused to take my money. He was so kind and I'm sure the only person who ever got to see him like this was his wife. And she didn't deserve him in my opinion.

I guess that's a reach, considering I've never saw her or spoke to her. But she's never around because he doesn't want her around.

And he seems to want me around. Like he said, he wouldn't be here if he didn't want to be. This was his idea. He wanted to spend time with me.

And I wanted the same.

I... liked him.

And that was scaring me more than I cared to admit.

"So we should make this a thing. You know, grabbing lunch from time to time. Would you like that Jarrett?"

I gulped.

The way he said my name like that just got to me.

"Yes, yes that sounds good to me."

I bit my lip and tried my best to pretend that I was not developing feelings for a high profile married man which whom I work for.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you all for your support, please keep the comments coming it makes us so happy!

I apologize for the delays. Adult life is a busy life.

Love you all!