Status: Active

Worlds Apart.

Carter

I checked my watch for the time again, and Grace was now thirty minutes late to our meeting with our divorce lawyers. She didn't show up at all to the first meeting, so I had little hopes for this one, but I had sent her a text this morning saying if she didn't show I was going to freeze all the accounts so neither of us could use them until the divorce was finalized.

Could I really do that?

No, probably not. But she didn't know that, or at least I didn't think she did at least. It was hard to tell with her.

The first time we just needed a single moderator to talk with us, but this time I decided to bring my own guy and tell her to bring her own as well. He was already here, but of course she still wasn't any where to be found.

"She'll be here." He said as he checked his phone. "I mean she told me to show up so... One would think she would too."

"I'm giving her five minutes. If she's not here by then she's not getting-"

"Oh shut up Carter." I sighed when her shrill voice filled the room. "I'm here, God damn."

"Great now we can start." My lawyer had said as Grace took her seat across the table from us.

"So where would you two like to begin?" Her lawyer asked us and I shook my head and pulled an envelope out of the inner breast pocket of my coat.

"There's nothing really to discuss. I've written out a detailed and fair contract discussing what I am willing to give Grace. I think it's more than fair seeing as there's a prenup between us, and I don't want to leave her high and dry." Grace rolled her eyes at that and I desperately wanted to do the same at myself. I hated putting on airs to get over with the lawyer, but if this had to go to court I'd rather seem like the sane one. "The offers off the table as soon as I leave this room, so I'll give you two a moment to look through it."

I sat back in my chair and watched as Graces face twisted and turned with anger and annoyance. I gave her the house, her car, and offered to give her 3 million dollars a year for the next 3 years or until she finds a job or a new husband. Which ever came first. All I wanted was the boat, my car, and the contents in our wine cellar. I offered the summer home as an alternative if the 9 million dollars wasn't enough, but she just didn't seem pleased with any of it.

"This is bullshit Carter. How do you think I can maintain the living I am accustomed to on that measly amount? Especially when I'm not only caring for me anymore, I also have our child to think about..." I looked at her blankly. What a hell of a way to drop a pregnancy bomb, I mean... I can't even recall the last time we had sex! Oh wait, there was last week... That was a fluke I swear, I mean she joined me on the bed and woke me up after a painfully sexy dream about Jarrett and I. Oh god that one was a doozie. He was covered in oils and it was hard to hold onto him but God was it even harder to tell where he started and I ended in that one.

I had to shake myself of those thoughts though, nows not the time or place to be poppin a boner, but then a very utterly obvious fact dawned on me and I couldn't stop laughing. There was no way that kid was mine.

"Oh Grace." I huffed and rubbed my face.

"What?"

"Not my kid. Nice try though."

"How can you say that? I missed my period, I took a test and it was positive!"

"Yeah, I'm sure you did, but I had a vasectomy when you first cheated on me. Do you remember me being laid up in bed for three weeks? Oh no, of course you don't. You went on a cruise."

"You what?! Can he do that?!" She shrieked and her lawyer nodded.

"Yeah, he can unless your prenup said otherwise." My lawyer then pulled a copy of that out from his briefcase and we waited patiently for them.

"God dammit... Carter what am I going to do?!"

"Not my problem." I said and motioned for my lawyer to get up with me. I could have ended the deal, but even if she cheated on me and ended up with some other dudes kid, I didn't really actually want to leave her out to dry. It was just up to her to take my generosity now. "You either take the deal, or you end up with nothing after court. Your choice." We headed to the door and I heard her sigh.

"Carter wait-" she motioned for us to come back but I just stood by the door and raised my brow at her. "75 million and you can keep the house...?"

"I don't want the house." I really didn't. It was too big, and I wanted something a little more me, and less her.

"Okay, 60 and you can keep the cars?"

"Nope."

"Carter, please work with me. You and I have spent more than 3 million in two months..."

"That's why I offered the summer home as well. You can sell the properties for well over what I've offered you and find yourself something more practical to raise your new family in."

"But-" I put my hand on the door handle and she groaned. "Fine! God fucking damn Carter. I'll take the summer home in lieu of the 3 million."

"Awesome. Just sign on the lines and I'll pick up my things up over the next three days."

"Wait a second..." She pointed to a line on one of the pages. "This says that if I contact you directly regarding any monetary or situations alike, all deals are pulled and I get nothing?"

"Correct."

"You're really not pulling any punches, are you?"

"Just formalities." I was getting annoyed now, I just wanted to go tell Jarrett honestly, but she just stared at the paper. I could see tears forming in her eyes, but no matter how hard I tried I just couldn't find it in myself to care and I think she picked up on that and hurried through signing the documents. I watched as she got up and sauntered over to me. She was livid, but in that scary calm cool and collected kind of way.

"Here you go." She seethed as she shoved the documents into my chest. "There's all your fucking freedom back. You won't hear from me again. And you," she pointed at her lawyer "you're fired after this!"

"Alright, well-"

"Shut up." She said, interrupting me as she stormed out. I glanced between the two lawyers and shrugged before following her lead. They could hash out all the documents and what not. I trusted my guy.

I could hear Grace shouting at people in the halls so I quietly sneaked out and made my way to my car. Jarrett had told me earlier that he was going to have a lazy day at home since I had given him the day off for this, so I figured I'd pop by and surprise him.

Of course I couldn't just go over there half cocked so I picked up some flowers and some dinner and went over to his apartment. I probably should have called first, but I didn't really care what I found. My divorce wasn't final yet, and we weren't dating so if he had company or whatever I'd just feel like a dumbass. That's all.

When I got there I knocked on the door and waited for a minute. I saw his car out there so I was fairly confident he was here, but things were pretty quiet, so... I knocked again before putting my ear up to the door. I could hear some water running so I sighed and pulled out my phone and called Jarrett. So much for surprising him.

"Hello?" He sounded out of breath, but more like in a panicked did I forget something sort of way.

"How's your shower?"

"What?"

"Your shower. I hear the water in the background." I chuckled.

"Oh! Uh it's fine... Is everything okay?"

"Yeah! Is your door unlocked? I wanna come by in a bit."

"It should be." He chuckled. "I should be out in like 15 minutes, but give me 40 to clean the place?" I let myself in then.

"Yeah sounds good. Enjoy your shower!" I looked around the place and laughed to myself. It wasn't messy at all. So I put the flowers and dinner on his coffee table and made myself comfortable on the couch.

About ten minutes later I heard the water stop so I put my phone away and say up a bit straighter. I could hear him singing now and I smiled to myself as I waited. He was in there another five minutes before coming out, but much to my dismay there was a towel wrapped around his waist.

"Hey there!" I said, tearing his attention from his phone. He nearly jumped out of his skin and the noise that came from him was obnoxiously hilarious but I still felt bad since he was clenching his chest.

"Dammit Carter!" He gasped and I couldn't help but to find humor and how often my name had followed a curse word today. "You scared the shit out of me!"

"Sorry! I didn't mean too!" I laughed. "Mind dropping that towel any lower for me?"

"Don't try to hide how creepy you just were with being cute!" He laughed and I could see how pink his cheeks were already as he clenched his towel tighter. "I uh... I'm gonna go get dressed."

"Awh that's no fun." I chuckled. "But I guess go ahead if you have too."

"Thanks for giving me permission to get dressed in my own house." I waved dismissively at that, as if I were non-verbally saying "no big deal" and he laughed before going on his way.

I took a deep breath once he was far enough away and composed myself. I have seen him shirtless before, but God damn that towel gave me just the right amount of curiosity to get my imagination going.

Sadly, the only thing we've done so far is kiss, but now that the divorce was actually moving along, maybe he'd be more into sleeping with me... And this is going to sound horrible, but I don't know how much more teasing I can handle!

He is this beautiful creature, tantalizingly close to me, but completely off limits for some reason.

It's not like we didn't try! Something just always got in the way! Either Grace or his sister usually, so we decided to just wait until we didn't have to sneak around.

When he came back out he smiled and came directly over to me and straddled my lap.

"So how did things go today?" He asked as he took off my tie.

"Pretty well! I need to find a new place to live, but I can stay at a hotel until I do." I grinned and watched as he unbuttoned the top two buttons of my shirt... This was kind of a ritual for us now. I come over after work and he semi undresses me to make us hanging out a little less formal. I think it was a way for us to separate work from our personal lives.

"A new place? You have to give up the house?"

"Well I gave it up. I don't want it. She can sell it or do whatever she wants with it. I'll find a new place soon enough."

"What kinda place are you thinking of?"

"Maybe an apartment. Something more fitting for me though, and less for a dragon." Jarrett laughed at that and shook his head.

"Mmm alright, I can't wait to see it." He winked just before kissing me.

Maybe by the time I get that, Jarrett and I will be a little more serious and he can keep some clothes at my place.

Who knows!

But all I really cared about right now was this insanely attractive man on my lap, and keeping that gorgeous smile on his face.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait again!

Things are gonna start picking up soon, so comments will definitely sway how the story goes ;)

Thank you
Josh Cutlip.
&
GiveMeTheKEYS!


For your lovely comments!!!