Status: Active

Worlds Apart.

Carter

I told this man that he had thirty minutes to speak. I told him that and he waited until minute twenty three to drop the "big crisis on me" so his thirty minutes turned into God knows how long.

I couldn't even believe my ears when he told me that one of the production companies for a commercial we were running skipped on putting the warning about the random medication we were debuting for...Fuck if I know right now, erectile disfunction? Maybe. It was something that didn't pertain to me, but regardless with the numbers he showed me, it was going to cost a fortune to correct this mistake. Especially with any lawsuit that might arise.

Sure we could handle the money, but the lawsuits could hurt our reputation pretty badly. So a thirty minute headache was about to turn into a nightmare to anyone who's fault this was. I decided not to bother with it tonight, but tomorrow heads were going to roll.

After I assured the man his job was at least safe and that I understood he was just a messenger, but once he let me go, I bolted home. I just wanted to be back with Jarrett, in my bed, possibly making out some what naked.

Once I got home I sighed and opened the door quietly just incase Jarrett had fallen asleep, but when I wandered inside I could hear him talking to someone, so I stopped right outside of our room and listened in. I knew that was sneaky but what the fuck ever.

"No... No Freddie, I know." I heard him sigh. Freddie... Fuck wasn't that the name of his alcoholic ex? "I just... No I'm sorry, I can't. No Freddie... I'm sorry, I just... Yeah? Of course I do. Don't be stupid of course I still care. Look, I can't do this right now. I'm... No go ahead." There was a pause for a moment and then Jarrett sighed again. "Yeah... Yeah whatever, okay. For Petes sake I get it. Alright. You too, bye." He hung up then and let out a heavy groan so I decided then was a good time to walk in.

"So... What was that about?" I ask as I step in. I wasn't a man to beat around the bush, so I figured I'd just jump right in.

"How much of that did you hear?" He asks, and gave me an exhausted look.

"Not much, should I have heard more?"

"No! No that's not what I meant." He sighs before standing up. "I said some pretty ugly things to him and I didn't know if you heard it or not."

"I only heard the last bit." I say, watching him go for my already messed up tie. "What did he want?" I liked how we were avoiding saying his name, but then again... I didn't. If it was a forbidden name, that meant he could turn into a secret, and those were never good.

"He wanted to see me, to make up for our entire relationship. I would have actually taken that seriously if he actually stayed in rehab for the length they recommended." He sighs and shakes his head. "This happens every time, he goes and gets sober and thinks that's enough. He doesn't understand that it's never going to be that simple; that you have to work through it. Then he comes back and... This time he swears it's different and-"

"Are you going to go see him?" I ask, because if there was one thing I knew, it was diversions. You tell people the shitty parts first and then quickly soften them by telling them a partial sob story about how it effects you. For example: I need five thousand dollars, BECAUSE, I can't afford rent this month or food to eat since my car accident left me disabled.

See how that works? I see it every day. So honestly, that whole rehab spiel didn't tug at any heartstrings of mine.

"I think I have too." He sighs again and it takes ever fiber of my being not to roll my eyes. "You're not mad are you?"

"Mad? No. Mildly annoyed. Yes." I say simply as I move away from him to finish taking off my tie and clothes.

"It's not like that, Carter." He say, and I can pretty much hear the pout in his voice.

"Really? Because putting me aside, it really does seem like it's exactly that. You two have history. You two have memories, at the end of the day, I'm still pretty much just your boss you fool around with." I turned to look at him then and I swear he looked just like a child who had been punished.

"I can't just not go see him... I don't want to be the reason he starts drinking again..."

"I never said you couldn't, but... Just to put something out there, you're never the reason, Jarrett. His choices are his reasons. You're not holding a gun to his head and forcing it down his throat. He chooses to pick up the bottle. Nothing you do or say can be held against you for his shitty coping mechanisms." I say, as I pull up my pajama pants. "So go, fall into the never ending cycle with him again. That's your choice Jarrett, but at the end of the day, remember you can't blame him for the consequences that come with that."

"I..." He looked up at me like a deer in headlights, his mouth gaping almost like a fish out of water, so to lighten the mood I make a mind blowing motion with my hands and grin.

"Crazy right? I amaze myself too sometimes." I laugh and I can see the playful look of disdain working its way onto his face. "Devils advocate is a hell of a position, but I think I play it fairly well."

"Oh shut up." He laughs, quickly undressing himself before crawling into bed with me. "You're such an asshole."

"Yeah, I know. Pretty much that whole reason I'm divorced, but you live and learn." I say as he gets himself comfortable in my arms.

"So what do you think I should do then?"

"No idea. It's your life." I shrug, planting a few kisses along his jaw line as we both settle in. "You'll figure it out."

"Well... What would you do?"

"I'd put the newly divorced billionaire I'm seeing on lockdown and give him a bunch of blowjobs and maybe surprise him with some hand cuffs one night; but hey, that's just me."

"You're incorrigible, Carter." He laughs and scoots his body closer to mine. There was no way I was going to help him with this. He was his own man and he needed to make this decision for himself. Priorities are priorities and honestly, I just needed to see where I fell in those for him.

"Oh, I know it." I chuckle and shrug.

"Yeah... But really, what would you do?"

"I can't tell you that, babe." I say softly. "You've got to figure this out the way that's best for you."

"A hint wouldn't kill you." He chuckles and I nod understandingly.

"I know it wouldn't, but this is all you doll face. If I tell you what I would do, it would be biased towards me, you have to figure out what's right in here." I say as I poked his chest. "What I want and what you want could be two totally different things." He sighed at that heavily before nodding and burying his face into my neck.

"How was the office then?"

"It was okay. Tomorrow is going to be interesting though. So don't be surprised if the office ends up pretty much empty."

"What do you mean by that?"

"Someone fucked up big time, so anyone and everyone involved is getting canned." I say bluntly and Jarrett gave me the sweetest look before shaking his head no.

"Not all of them deserve to go." He said softly as he gently traced patterns against my chest. "Not everyone could have consecutively decided to mess up that entire thing."

"I-" I paused since I knew he was right, I knew that was too harsh, but I figured if I made an example out of them, it wouldn't happen again... But it would. It was bound too, they were humans. "You're right." I sighed again before kissing the top of his head.

"Do what you want, but I know you're a better boss than that." He said and I couldn't help but to sigh again.

"Go see him and figure out what he wants. You may already know, but you should feel it out and decide for yourself how he's doing and if there's still something there." I all but blurted out. This boy really did bring out the best in me, so I guess I could at least make that decision easier for him.

"W-what?" He asked, clearly confused by that but I just shook my head.

"I'm not repeating that." I said softly and within seconds I felt a pair of lips press themselves against the corner of my mouth.

"Thank you, Carter." He said back just as soft.

"Yeah, don't mention it."
♠ ♠ ♠
God I'm so sorry, I know it's been far too long. Work is just wearing me so thin and I'm afraid it might be this way until late July, but I'm trying my best my loves!

Thank you for the amazing comments
GiveMeTheKEYS!
Josh Cutlip.
&
rawrritsjess