Status: Active

Worlds Apart.

Jarrett

Usually by the end of the week, somewhere around Saturday or Sunday I experienced something that I called extreme exhaustion. My body felt weak, my head/brain hurt, and my appetite was at level 100. I often ate everything in sight, took 3 Advils and then passed out on the couch until the next day. Which worked for me, I needed it. Other people would probably feel awful after doing something like that but nope not me; it was my weekly ritual pretty much.

My sister encouraged me to see a doctor about my fatigue but it really wasn't necessary because I feel like its normal to be tired after working and going to school non-stop. It's draining. I promised her that if it got worse I'd go see someone. But until then...

"I'm going grocery shopping after work today, is there anything that we absolutely need? I have bread, eggs, milk, peanut butter and pasta salad on my list so far but I always forget something."

It's true. My sister was amazing, brilliant, talented and beautiful but her memory was like an infant goldfish. She needed to make lists for legit everything or else she'd forget. Her calendar is filled up; not one day doesn't have something written in it because I swear she'd forget to put shoes on if it wasn't on a list. Ok so that's pushing it, but you get where I'm going with it. Her memory could use some work.

"I think we might need toothpaste in the near future but I could be wrong. I'd check just in case. Oh, and I personally need a few things but I'll pick them up myself. You already do so much Tina."

She smiled softly at me and then pushed my head away from her personal space bubble like a true big sister would.

"You're such a mush Jarrett. Ugh which reminds me. You had to go pick your ex up at that bar again the other day right? When are you going to let it go and just let him be? He's a jerk and a drunk and you deserve better than his constant bullshit."

She gets so protective over me it's insane. But I love her for it. I'd rather have someone who cared too much rather than someone who didn't give a shit at all. Like our parents for example. But I won't even go there.

"Look, I know. But I still kind of feel responsible for him in a weird way. I broke up with him so abruptly and I think that made him drink even more and-"

"That's not your problem. He's not your problem anymore. Next time he calls or texts or whatever, you call a cab for him. You're done. He can't be babied by you because he'll continue the pattern and nothing will change."

Fuck.

She was so right.

"Ok yea that's a good idea. You're right. It's been months since we were a thing. I guess it's time to cut the cord. It's just hard you know?"

I know that she doesn't. She was blessed with Vinny, a cute and successful businessman who loved her until the cows came home. Whatever that means.

"Believe it or not, I do. I can empathize. But you're so much better off without him. And maybe somewhere down the road he'll clean up his act and you might have a better shot and it then. But for now he's done, you're done," she said as she put her hand on my shoulder. "But I have to get to the salon. I'll see you later ok?"

I nodded and kissed her cheek.

It would be hard to turn my head away from Billy, but I had to. In order to move on with my own successes I needed to eliminate anything holding me back. And getting 4 hours of sleep on a work/school night would definitely hold me back some.

My body didn't want to get ready for work but it was a must. At least there wasn't much required for getting ready. I wasn't the type to spend hours in front of a mirror to make sure I looked good. I usually just threw on whatever was clean, brushed my hair and teeth and went on my way.

Somehow I was running a little bit late, and my phone ringing in my pocket while I was driving was not helping. But I had applied for like 10 internships and I didn't hear from any yet, so it was a priority over work considering if I didn't find an internship I would be kicked out of my major.

I pulled over on the side of the road and answered my phone just in time.

"Hello Jarrett Hilton speaking."

What? Who says that?

Shit.

"Yes hi Mr. Hilton this is Sonya Cortez from Sinclair Enterprises. I just reviewed your application for an assistant position for our company executive. We think you'd be a good fit and would like you to start next week if possible."

Good thing I pulled over or I would have crashed into someone. This couldn't have come at a better time. And this internship happened to be a paid one; which was almost impossible to find. I couldn't be happier that this company was the first one to contact me.

I tried to contain myself and remain professional.

"Yes next week would be possible Ms. Cortez. Thank you so much for this opportunity, I'm looking forward to it."

I hung up and gripped my steering wheel. I didn't even care that I was late for work at this point. I'd need to tell them today that I needed fewer hours to fit my internship into my already busy schedule. I had told them a while ago about it and they said it shouldn't be a problem. They had over a thousand employees at the company so I couldn't imagine it being a huge deal if I went from full time to part time.

Me and my boss had a weird relationship. He acted like my dad, but a cool dad; like cooler than my actual dad. I had no idea why he liked me so much but he did and that's one of the reasons why I was still at a job that I hated. I mean, it could always be worse... but loading up trucks all day long and only getting paid 10 dollars for it was pretty shitty.

I had a few friends that I made at work, and they had similar interests as me so I guess some good things did come out of work. I rarely saw them because most of them were girls who worked at desks and answered phones and whatnot.

When I entered work no one said anything to me about being late, which was strange; but good.

I clocked in and went into my bosses office to let him know about the phone call I just received.

He took it well, everyone that I spoke to about it was happy for me, and everything just really went very smoothly for me.

I could be crazy but I was starting to think that maybe just maybe things could be looking up for me finally.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to everyone who has subscribed and commented! We love you all and can't wait to get this story rolling!

Xoxoxo LoveForGiraffes