Status: Active

Worlds Apart.

Carter

It was an on going battle without an assistant since I really had no one to blame but myself when I forgot things, but finally today Jarrett was done with training and I sighed beyond happily when I saw a steaming cup of coffee sitting on my desk.

"Good morning Mr. Sinclair," Jarrett's voice sang through our personal intercom system. "You have a nine thirty meeting today and a lunch date with your wife and the... Interior designer..." From the sound of his voice, I knew he was just as unsure about that one as I was.

"Thanks Jarrett, can you please get my wife on the phone for me?"

"Of course sir." A few moments passed before he buzzed back in again. "Mrs. Sinclair is on line two."

I hung up with him and picked up my phone to keep what was bound to be a screaming fest for her as quiet as I could.

"Hey, what is this about an interior designer?"

"Uhm, we talked about this a month ago. I'm tired of the space age modern look. I want log cabin."

"How do you plan to pay for this?"

"What's mine is yours." She chuckled "and vise versa, but whether you're there or not, the appointment is still happening. So, I'll see you there babe. Kisses!"

I hung up after that. The temptation to slam my face against my desk was at an all time high. But thankfully I had a meeting so I had to remove myself before the urge grew any more.

"Grab your notepad and follow me." I said as I passed by Jarrett's desk. I smiled as I heard him scramble to his feet and race to catch up. "How has your first day been so far."

"Wonderful sir. Everyone is very welcoming." I chuckled at that because of course they were. They knew how ridiculous I was, so they took pity on anyone dumb enough to take this position.

"That's good. I'm glad my staff isn't filled with a bunch of jerks." I said as I held the conference room door open for him and he looked at me like a fish out of water. "One time thing." I laughed. "You didn't know where we were going. Don't beat yourself up."

He nodded and thanked me quickly before sitting in the lone standing chair behind mine.

I informed him that I needed him to take notes on everything he observed in this meeting. Not just the business aspect but about the new clients as well. He looked confused again but nodded. I should have told him this was a test, but what fun would that be?

I wanted to see what kind of eye he had. I wanted to see if he'd be of any potential use to me later or if he was just another sub par assistant.

The meeting was a drag and the clients were hooked on this ridiculous idea that they could afford a celebrity to endorse their "new" baby blanket. They swore up and down that their "breathable fabric" was "state of the art" and "superior to all other" blankets, but I wasn't quite sold on tying my companies name to this prototype yet.

"We'll be in touch with you guys soon," I said as I shook everyone's hand once I finally heard enough. "thank you so much for sharing this... Innovative product you've created with us. Mr. Hilton will show you out."

I sat back and watched as Jarrett showed the clients out, and watched as my creative team followed suit. A few minutes later Jarrett was back and gave me a doe eyed look.

"Spit it out." I chuckled. "What caught your tongue?"

"They took my notes. And... Oh god I'm so sorry." He slid his note pad over to me and hid his face in his hands. "I... I saw how annoyed you were with them, and the bigger man... He was gross! I saw him pick his nose and the skinny bald one kept looking around as if he were lying... I just wrote down what I saw! I'm so so so so sorry!"

I looked down at the note pad and read through everything he had jotted down carefully. I found myself chuckling at some and inwardly gagging at other things. I had missed so many things, probably due to my lack of interest but still... That didn't sit well with me, and on any other day a fuck up like this would result in me firing him... But I just couldn't bring myself to do that.

"What did they say when they saw these?"

"They said that you'd be hearing from them soon, and that they want me fired for the-" he was gaping by now so I held up my hand and smiled.

"Relax, you screen my calls right?" He nodded in response. "Just hang up on them. I don't want their business. Everything you said about them is right. Just... Be careful and don't let that happen again? Yeah?"

He nodded even quicker and took a deep breath.

"Thank you Mr. Sinclair. I promise it won't happen again." I smiled and tore out the page he had written about the creepy infant blanket people and tucked it away in my pocket before sliding it back to them.

"Of course. Why don't you take off early today since I'll probably be gone most of the day anyways."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes Jarrett." I laughed and walked over to him before placing my hand on his shoulder so I could lead him out of the conference room. "Do whatever you want. You'll be paid for the full day either way. Go collect yourself. Do school work. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Thank you Mr. Sinclair." I waved my hand dismissively and went into my office.

Today was relatively entertaining for once, but sadly this lunch with my wife was probably not only sucking my wallet dry, but also all the joy I had.

Well... At least it was fun while it lasted.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, sorry for another filler chapter, but they gotta start somewhere!! Are you guys still enjoying this though? We have almost 100 readers as of right now, but barely any feedback? Makes us sad writers :( so please let us know! Tell us what direction you want this to take! Tell us what you wanna see! Anything!!!

Thank you
Izzy826
&
Josh Cutlip

For the comments. Your comments are our reason for continuing!