Status: Active

Worlds Apart.

Jarrett

I felt semi uncomfortable in the suit I was wearing. I guess just because the last time I was in a suit was when I was about 7 years old. My aunt had been getting married and me and my sister were forced to attend since my mom couldn’t afford a babysitter at that time. I don’t remember much from the wedding or anything, but I remember being hot and sweaty in the suit and I guess it’s just bringing back those memories for me now.

I’m not hot now, but I feel like once I actually get to the venue it’ll be all nerves and sweats because that’s who I am as a person.

Carter was probably so used to this kind of thing. Successful people usually own dozens of suits and automatically feel comfortable in them because it’s part of what they do.

I should get used to the feeling if I want to be half as successful as Carter.

Speaking of him, he’s here. At my house. In his luxury cab.

Like of course he has his own driver.

I wondered how much money he had. I knew he was a millionaire but there’s a huge difference between like a 1 million dollar millionaire and like a 10+ million dollar millionaire. It probably didn’t matter as much to him now as it did when he started building his empire.

And then I realize that I’m just standing there, admiring his wealth while he’s sitting there waiting for me to come out of my house.

I slipped on my nicest shoes and lock my door before heading out.

He reached over and opened the door for me… why? I have no idea. It was a really nice gesture especially coming from him. I just accepted it and thanked him like anyone else would. I suppose?

“Thank you again for coming on such short notice Jarrett. You look the part.”

I was flattered beyond belief but I didn’t want to say anything to give off that vibe. Wouldn’t want him to throw me out of his cab before we even got there.

“Oh thanks, and no problem. I’m excited. Well I mean because I’ve never been to one of these. And it’s kind of a big deal. Right?”

Did I do drugs before I left? No.

So why am I blabbering like a downright idiot?

Jesus help me.

“Yes, it’s quite a big deal. It’s not the biggest one of the year but it’s up there. I’m not expecting any more than one or two awards this time around. I probably wouldn’t even attend if I thought I wasn’t getting one. It makes me sound really obnoxious but I kind of just am wired that way.”

Yes, yes it did. But I was not going to agree with him.

“Well it makes sense. I’d do the same.”

I wouldn’t. I’d feel lucky just to even be there. But maybe being in the business for a while would do that to a person. I wouldn’t know. Kind of have to get my feet wet first.

“Would you like a glass of Champaign before we head in?”

I shook my head.

“No thank you, Sir.”

He immediately put his glass down.
“I’m sorry,” he apologized. “I wasn’t even thinking. You must not want to drink and whatnot because of… I’m sorry his name is escaping me.”

He thinks I don’t want to drink because of my ex? Well he must think very highly of me for some reason.

“Oh you mean Frankie? No, no it’s not that. I mean, he’s in the back of my mind but I never had a drinking problem. I just don’t want any Champaign right now. Thank you for offering though.”

I just lied to Carter.

I did have a drinking problem in the past. I had lots of problems in the past. But I wasn’t about to discuss all of that in the back of a cab on our way to an elite awards ceremony.

“Fair enough,” he said. “I mean I like to drink. I tend to enjoy my wife's company more when I'm a little drunk. Shit, I’m so sorry. I really shouldn’t have said that.”

What’s with him being so sorry?

I feel like that’s a saying Carter would just… not ever say to someone. Especially me.

“Don’t be sorry, it’s okay. You’re speaking the truth, and not a lot of people do that. I like that about you.”

That was true. He was very blunt and very honest. It wasn’t easy to just say what’s on your mind without caring about the potential consequences.

“Well thank you. No one I know likes that about me. See, I know what everyone thinks about me at the company. They think I have no idea, but I know. Everyone thinks I’m an asshole, and selfish, and cocky and everything like that. And they’re right, I can be that way. That’s the kind of attitude that got me to where I am now. But what they don’t know is that I donate a lot of my money to charity. Me and my wife go traveling to help people in need. And we don’t do it for the press and we don’t do it for the tax write off. We do it because we have the means to do so. And if acting the way I act is contributing to my ability to do that? Then so be it.”

Wow.

I had no idea he did all that. And I'm sure nobody at the company does either because it was never broadcasted or probably never even announced.

"That's very humble of you. I think it's great that you and your wife do that with almost no recognition."

Carter smiled.

"I'm glad you feel that way Jarrett. Now, I have one question for you."

"What's that?"

He smiled again and looked out his window.

"Are you ready?"

My lips curled up and I nodded.

"Yes, of course. Let's go."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So the awards aren't even halfway over and I'm starting to realize why Carter had someone else drive him here. He's had a few glasses of whichever alcohol has come his way and he's the life of our table.

I had one glass of wine but that was it, and I drank it slow.

He's cracking everyone up telling jokes and being bubbly. I liked this side of him, it was so different than what I was used to.

"Hey Carter where is your beautiful wife?" One of his movie director friends asked.

The awards ceremony was for advertisements for indie films, and Carter had already won and accepted his award for his advertisement commercial.

Carter put down his glass and then put his arm around me.

"She's at home, and I brought this guy. Because he's a great intern. Young and new to the industry. Thought he'd love a taste of what my company strives for. And my beautiful wife is a raging bitch sometimes. She's very catty when we come to these awards, always talking about who is wearing what and who knows. Jarrett over here hasn't made much of a scene. Might bring him to the next one!"

I'm sure my cheeks were bright red.

Liquid courage might be needed.

"Tell us how you really feel! Man if she's that bad, why keep on? I divorced my wife and couldn't be happier."

Carter held up his hand, the hand that was still around my shoulder.

"Let's not spoil our night talking about divorces Bruce. Let's have another drink and celebrate our successes!"

And that was that. No one brought it up again. And we all had a really great time.

Carter was getting pretty cozy with me, and honestly I wasn't even sure why. He was making me not only question myself, but him and his motives.

Could Carter be... Into me? Is that crazy to think

But he's not gay or bi or anything. He's married for christ sake.

But he's touching me and laughing at my jokes and showing me off to his friends. It's weird. Not a bad weird but just strange. And I'll bet we won't even speak of all this tomorrow.

I'm just going with the flow, returning Carter's affection (if that's what we'll call it) and going from there.

And with a clear sober mind I'm looking at this man and wondering if maybe there could be something here. I'm seeing him as a different man. An attractive man. A successful man.

An attractive successful man that could be something more to me?
♠ ♠ ♠
So some personal stuff happened to me over the past few weeks so I'm sorry I didn't update :( but thank you for being awesome and patient. It would be even more awesome if we got some more feedback!

Love you all!

Xoxo LoveForGiraffes