Status: I have a life- therefore slow updates

The Stranger From the Bridge

Chapter 6

“Are you sure this is a good idea? Like what if he’s forgotten about me Jess! Or hates me? Like we can easily just turn around and head back home. I don’t care, really I don’t” I ramble trying to prevent the inevitable, pulling rather hard at the sleeves of the large jumper which I’m wearing to hide myself from, well, anything.

It’s the day after Jess and I talked, after agreeing that we’d be here for today. Here being outside the house which Alex lives in. To get here we had to get over the bridge. Yes, that bridge. I just closed my eyes and held my breath for that part of that journey, whilst Jess held my hand as we crossed. Because even though, in a sense, I’m about to relive that part of my life; the part I’m about to face up to is the the light at the end of the ever so dark tunnel. Alex being the light. But the Bridge was the darkest part I had to get through before I could possibly come out from the other side. I just think of it as the massive obstacle which I had to get over in life, metaphorically. Not literally.

“Yes, this is a good idea Jack,” Jess replies rubbing her hand softly on my arm trying to stop me from fretting so much, but I can’t help it at this point. All the thoughts which are currently running through my head are what Alex is expecting to see. I’m still not 100% well; but a hell of a lot better. He also would’ve expected me to do this two years previously, so I can’t help but dread the fact that he’s going to be mad at me because I never came.

“We all know that this is the best idea. You’ve said it yourself that Alex asked to meet up after you got better, all you’re doing now is putting bad thoughts about all this in your mind; which is why you’re now so hesitant to go in” She says firmly. “Now get out the car, because he’s almost certainly going to wondering why there’s a car just stood outside his house hanging around for ages.”

“And you’ll come with me?” I ask meekly, not wanting to anger Jess any further, nor seem to desperate.

“Of course.” She says in a suddenly a lot more relaxed tone. As soon as Jess begins to open the drivers door, I knew that this was actually happening. I took a huge deep breath and copied her actions; slowly opening the door, and with caution, stepping out of the car. Once out and having shut the door behind me; I look around me.

I’d like to be able to pin point the differences in the scenery but to be honest I wasn’t exactly in the right frame of mind last time I was here to be fully conscious of my surroundings. But this time I have the opportunity. I take in how beautiful it is here, and think no wonder Alex chose to live here. There are trees surrounding the whole of the house like last time; and the garden appears to be well maintained. As well as Jess’s car on the drive way, there’s a small old car which doesn’t look as if it’s had much use recently, which had begun to get rather dirty from the area surrounding it. It also wasn’t the same car as last time I was here. I can’t remember what his car looked like, but I know that it wasn’t the one parked up in front of us. The house, like before isn’t very big. From the exterior it looks like there’s only a couple of bedrooms within; but also that it looks rather cosy inside.

“Stop gawping, Jack, and move that ass of yours.” Jess says whilst walking up the path which leads to the front door which has climbing plants surrounding the door. Even when I’m five paces behind her, she knocks a few times upon the wood, and waits for an answer, whilst looking back to me; her eyes telling me to hurry up.

Once next to her, I reach out for Jess’s hand purely for comfort. Thankfully she takes it and squeezes mine reassuringly. “It’ll be alright. Don’t worry.” She smiles.

As soon as she said that the door opens, and my breath gets caught in my throat. And that’s when Alex moves so we’re both able to see him.

But it isn’t Alex.

Instead it’s a woman who appears to be in her early fifties. She is wearing a mid length floral dress with a cardigan which matches it nicely. Her hair is greying, and in a loose bun which complimented her face. But despite the inviting smile which she wore; it wasn’t Alex and that’s where there’s an issue.

“Hello,” she says pleasantly to us both, and as she does, Jess rubs her thumb over my hand to try and clam me down. “Sorry to be rude, but do I know you?” She asks equally as kindly, but with a confused look etched onto her face.

“Ermm, I don’t think so; but we’re looking for someone named Alex.” Jess replies for me, as I’m just trying to process everything.

“I’m sorry, but I don’t know any Alex’s. Maybe you got the wrong house? There’s a few dotted around here, so it’s easy to get confused, other people do so don’t worry about it.” She replies, with a sorrowful look upon her.

“No this is the right house I’m sure.” I mumble. “He lives here. But apparently not anymore.” I say, trying not to cry. I was so disappointed. It’s my fault though. I should’ve found he earlier, but I was a coward then.

“Well I’ve only just moved in here, but, well I’m sorry to break this to you, but the person who lived here before me had died, poor soul. Far too young as well from what I’ve heard from the neighbours. I do hope it wasn’t your friend, though. I never knew their name so I couldn’t tell you. I’m so sorry”

I zoned out at ‘died’. He can’t be dead. It should be the other way round. Maybe if I didn’t try to jump, he may not have passed away. A million thoughts are running through my mind, but instead of trying to prevent the tears this time, I just let them fall. As they do though, I hear distantly Jess and the woman talk to one another.

“Jack, we’re going inside to talk to her. Are you alright?” I just shake my head, as Jess supportively wraps an arm around my waist, and we walk inside. We end up in the kitchen which is where I was with Alex. It’s all the same units, and that makes it harder, because it just confirmed it indefinitely that this is the house which Alex used to live in.

Once sat down, I look down as Jess and the strange woman converse again; yet again messing with the sleeves of my jumper which I’m trying to drown in.

“… but they say he must have been about 40. He’d only been living here for only 2 years, which really wouldn’t give you time to appreciate this wonderful place…” The woman carries on. I think she introduced herself to me, but the name went through one ear and out the other.

And then I repeat in my head what she says.

40, 2 years.

But I met Alex at nearly four years ago now. And he was only a little older than me based on looks. So he could be 28 at the oldest. Even though 40 is too young for that other man to have died it isn’t Alex.

“Jess. It wasn’t Alex who died.” I announce, which results to her looking at me questionably. “Well Alex was about the same age as me, so he can’t be 40, and he lived here 4 years ago, not two. So he’s alive.” I smile widely.

“Well that all being good Jack, but we have no idea where he is. He could be anywhere.” Jess replies, which just puts my mood down again.

“Well we can try can’t we?” I ask hopefully. “I need to do this, Jess. For my own sanity.”

“There’s a couple who live about quarter a mile out.” The woman started. “They’ve been here for at least 20 years, and because it’s the closest house to mine, they may have the best idea as to where he may be.”

“Can’t you look back in the records of the house to see who owned it?” I ask desperately.

“That won’t tell you where this Alex has moved to after leaving here. I’m sorry. But ask the couple, they’ll probably know more about him than myself, they’ve been in the same house for about 20 years now, and are incredibly sociable. Love the company and to talk. They’ve popped around a couple of times already since I’ve lived here, completely uninvited; not that I care, they’re a lovely couple. And I presume they would’ve done the same with Alex though. But they’ll be in right now, they’re retired you see so a couple of visitors won’t do any harm as well. But I’ll phone them as well to let them know that you may be around either today, or in the next few.”

“Thank you very much. We will do as soon as possible.” Jess replies. I have some hope bubbling up in my stomach. Hopefully they’ll have a vague idea as to where Alex has moved, and I’m just keeping my fingers crossed that it’s in Baltimore, or anywhere within Maryland. “But we better be off, I think Jack is probably rather eager to ask the neighbours. Sorry for intruding though. But thank you for what you’ve told us.” Jess carries on, standing up as I do. Unlike me, she took her coat off as she came inside and draped it over the chair she was sat on; so whilst she had the awkward faff of putting it on after getting the sleeves the right way round, I stood feebly in this strange (ish) house.

“It’s no problem, dear. I’m pleased I could help a bit” she smiles, whilst leading us to the front door. “I do hope you find this Alex boy though, and tell me when you do. I’ll be thinking of the pair of you.”

“Thank you,” Jess and I both say at the same time. “Really though, even though he isn’t here, you’ve been much help,” I carry on.

“Don’t worry about it. But drive safe back home, and I’ll hope to see you soon.” She says once we’re at the front door again.

“Of course. Bye” Jess waves, and I give a smaller one as well, which is recuperated with the same enthusiasm as Jess’s.

Once Jess and I are both in the car with the doors shut, we both let out as equally long, exasperated sighs. “Thank you for coming with me for that. I don’t think I’d have been able to cope if you weren’t there.” I say, resting my head on the chair, looking up to the roof of the car. There’s so many emotions running through my head.

Disappointment.
Sorrow.
Hope.
Anger.
Frustration.

So many that don’t even have a name.

“Jack, you don’t have to thank me. We agreed we’re going to sort this out as friends, and that’s what friends do for one another.”

“I know, but I don’t want to drag you around god knows where looking for someone who you’ve never met. And I’m a mess too, I can only imagine how annoying it’d be to tag along with someone like me.”

“Stop talking down on yourself. But we’ve got two options. We can call it a day and head back home and make something simple like a salad for lunch. Or, we could do what Kim suggested.”

“Who’s Kim?” I ask, rather confused about the sudden interjection which seemed to be rather off topic.

“Were you paying attention at all for the past half hour?” Jess groans.

“Well, sometimes. Zones out for a bit, but other than that, yeah, I guess?” I question.

“God Jack, the woman who lives in Alex’s old place is Kim.” She laughs, which brings a small smile to my face.

“‘M sorry. But that makes sense. And you mean by going to the neighbour and asking them about Alex?”

“Yup.”

“I’m not very hungry so personally I’d rather go and ask. But what would you prefer?” I ask, still feeling that after everything that has happened over the past year, Jess is still sticking by my side. The only difference is, is that I feel less pressured to impress, but that doesn’t mean that I still don’t try, and I’ll always love her. Just in a different way to what I first thought.

“Don’t care really. There’s some crisps in the boot of the car I think, so if I do get hungry I can nab them.”

“Okey dokey. The neighbour option it is.” The next thing I know is that the engine has started and we begin heading out of the drive. Instead of turning right, in the direction we arrived in, we turned the opposite and headed further into the woods.

“How do you know which way to go?” I ask, confused because I didn’t think that Jess would know this area. We’re already a good distance from the centre of town, and we live the opposite side; so around here, I thought would be pretty alien to her.

“Kim gave me directions.”

“She did?” I pause, “I take back what I said about paying attention, because evidently I didn’t.”

“Doesn’t surprise me to be honest.” Jess laughs, as we pull into another drive way, not 5 minutes after departing the other house.

This time, I got out the car with no struggle. If anything, it was Jess who did more, as she appeared to be getting a little tired. That reminds me to offer to drive back home. I’m eager to get to meet the pair of people who live here, because it means that I may be a little closer to getting to know where Alex has ended up.

“Wait up!” I hear Jess shout from halfway down the footpath, when I was nearly at the door. “I hate exercise, and this drive is steep as fuck, so let me take my time.” She groans

“I think it’s just that I’m over eager, but yeah, whatever. Fatty.” I tease, smirking.

“You’re one to talk, so shut up.” She laughs which causes us both to giggle among each other as we approach the door, but before we even get the chance to knock, it is opened up, and immediately we’re greeted by an old couple who are giving us large smiles.

“You must be Jack and Jess. Kim told us all about you.” The woman begins, “I’m Miggy, and this here is my husband Anthony. Please come in.” She greets so kindly, before moving a little to allow the pair of us through the house.

Unlike Kim’s, this house is full to the brim of nick nacks and antiques. Photos cover the walls of who I presume are children and grandchildren. Everywhere’s a bit dusty, but judging by the age of both Miggy and Anthony, it mustn’t be their top priorities, I think.

We make it through to the living room without a word said between either Jess or I, but I hear Anthony begin to tell us their life story. How they have 3 children, and 7 grandchildren who they obviously think the world of. We hear that they’ve been married for 46 years now, and I can’t help but smile at how happy they are with everything. So we both just carry on listening to the pair natter on to us for another 15 minutes, where we leave small comments when suited.

“But enough about us,” Miggy begins, “tell us what brings you around this neck of the woods.”

“We’re looking for someone who used to live in the house where Kim now lives.” As soon as I let those words slip, they both give me a sympathetic look.

“Oh, honey. Did she not say?”

“No, she did. But the man I’m looking for is called Alex. He probably lived there just before the man who passed away. And thought that you may know where he’s moved to.” I say, and leave them a few moments to think about him.

About a minute later, Anthony breaks the silence. “Oh I know the one. Similar age to you right? Quite tall too?” I enthusiastically nod as he recalls. “Do you know the one I mean Mig’s? That boy who played the guitar and sung a bit?”

“Oh yes, Alexander. Now I remember. Well, Jack. Anthony and I must have gone around to his just days before he moved away. He hadn’t told any of the neighbours at that point, so we were lucky we thought just to pop in and catch up with him. Anyways, he said that he had to head back home to look after his mother who was rather ill at the time, and his younger brother too who was only what, nine I think?. Can’t remember where it was though for the life of me. Can you Anthony?” She says, turning her whole body around and looking at him.

“Oh it wasn’t around here, son. He moved to England. Essex is where he said, if I recall right.”

England. Oh great.

“That’s it.” Miggy confirms. “Supposed to be very beautiful around there too. Our son went on holiday to the south east of England about 6 months ago now. Had a great time, the kids loved London when they stopped there for a few days. Loved to Tower of London especially…”

Jess and I look at each other with an exasperated look as the pair get stuck on a bit of a tandem again.

“But yes, Essex is where about he moved to. Can’t tell you which part. But yes. I hope that helps a little. What happened anyway? Kim said you seemed pretty desperate to find him.”

“Well thank you very much for telling us that much. It’s greatly appreciated.” Jess begins, knowing that I really didn’t want to have anything to do with this explanation, even though I’d keep the information to a minimum, which I know Jess will do too. “But Jack found himself in a bit of a bad patch of health a few years ago, and Alex really helped him. Both Jack and I want to find him so we can say thank you for basically saving his life.”

Jess turns to me, silently asking me if what she said was alright, and I just nod with a small smile to say that it was.

“Well, he always was a nice boy whenever we saw him, so I’m pleased you got to see that as well. Is there anything you’d like to know about him? We didn’t know much; he was rather private, but we may be able to help a little more.”

“I don’t suppose you know a last name, do you?” I ask.

“Gaskarth. Hard one to forget that one, so odd and out of the ordinary.” Miggy replies.

“Thank you, I forgot. But that’ll be really useful. So thanks again, but we should be better heading off home.” I say, standing up with Jess.

“You’re very welcome, dears. Please feel free to visit again. It is nice having people to talk to; especially at our old age.”

“We will, you can be sure of that. You’re a lovely couple.” Jess smiles. “But as Jack said, we’d better be off. We can let ourselves out, if that helps you at all?”

“Oh that would be a blessing. But the pair of you, I wish you good luck on finding this man.” Anthony says, giving both of us a small wink.

“Thank you. We’ll see you soon.”

“Bye bye! Have a safe journey home.” Miggy says.

“We will, but bye.” I say for a final time, before we turn out of the living room and let ourselves out of the house.

Once in the car again for the third time today, I have a better feeling that the second. The anger and frustration were gone. As was the sorrow and disappointment.

It was all just hope now. It’s further than I hoped, but I have a good idea where Alex is again. And I will find him.
♠ ♠ ♠
But what are guys thinking of Jess? Warming up to her yet? Or think that she's hiding something

Sorry this took forever. I had an orchestra course and went on holiday for a few weeks, but also have just been really busy

But thanks to those who commented last chapter, means a lot
Emma x