‹ Prequel: Shooting Stars
Status: In Progress

Rookie of the Year

Four

"I think you are very correct, Sidney. And I wish I had that answer in my back pocket when you asked the question. It would've impressed people, I'm sure." I say it with a chuckle because what he said is so true. We would be nothing without the fans, we owe all of our career's to them.

"I think you impressed everyone anyways with your response. You made everyone think about what it means to be a player in this league. That's something no one else has done in a very long time. I don't think any of them expected such a well formulated answer from someone as drop dead gorgeous as you. I hope it's okay that I said that. We are, after all, opponents for the Stanley Cup. But there's no denying you're beautiful."

"Well thank you, Sidney. But that's neither here nor there. Beauty is not an object of hockey, most of the players have lost teeth for goodness sake. I hope that isn't me, but I know very well what I'm getting into with this league. Anyways, tell me about the person behind the facade that it the Golden Boy of the NHL and Canada. What do your teammates and close friends know to be true about you?" I tried to move the attention from myself. I have never been one to want to be talked about for beauty or my rape or anything really. So talking about how I was going to fit into the league was rough earlier and I can't keep doing it with Sidney. I'm hoping he can handle talking about himself a little more than I can.

"There's not much to tell. Hockey consumes my life, even during summer as you well know. I haven't had a girlfriend since high school really, so I mostly spend my time either at the rink or gym and if not, I'm probably at home catching up on my favorite Netflix series. I don't bother with shows that are currently on TV. I'm never around enough to catch them live. The only reason I have digital cable is to watch sports. I also really like to do the charity events for the kids. Whenever the PR staff let us know about opportunities, I'm the first one to sign up. I like making the kids' days better."

"That's really nice. Because I've only been on the practice squad I've never been invited to tag along. But I'm excited for it this upcoming season. When I was younger, I always enjoyed doing service and charity. I think I'll like it as a player too. Hopefully inspire some other women and girls to aspire to be whatever they want."

"I think you've already done that without stepping foot on the ice in the NHL. You are an inspiration already." I nod and thank him. Again, I don't really want to talk about myself, except I started talking and that's what came out. Why can't I just keep my mouth shut? That would've stopped this entire conversation from happening. Glass's half full here, not sure which I should've done after all.

"Anyways, enough about me. Do you have any tips for playing against teams in your conference? We only play Eastern Conference teams once and a max of twice per season, so even the guys on my team don't even have good tips." He chuckled and we talked more hockey based conversation for a while longer. When we ran out of coffee, he walked me back to my room.

"It's been really great talking with you, Sophie. You're so down to earth about joining the league and just as a person in general. I wish I had been this easy going about it all when I entered the league myself."

"Thanks Sidney, but the guys have pretty much coached me on how to get through this weekend here in Vegas. The PR staff too. However, I've had enough go wrong in life to realize how great of an opportunity this is."

"You're so different from any other girl I've ever met. If we weren't playing against one another, I might have asked you out. But we both know it would be rough, across a quarter of the country, always travelling. Besides, I'm sure you have someone's heart already by now."

"You've got that one wrong. I could never go with one of my teammates, they are all like brothers. It would be way too weird. And my cousin's with Captain Toews, so it would be even weirder. They've seen me through some of my worst times, I couldn't get with any of them. But as for the distance, there are many pieces of technology that help make long distance relationships possible, Sidney. Couples do it everyday." He nods and moves in a little closer. I let him and start to think about the possibility of him kissing me, of having a relationship with another player not in Chicago. I think it could be nice. Someone who would understand the pressure of my career. But Ava sitting in my room behind where I stand kind of pours cold water over my head figuratively. But I let him kiss me anyways. It's nice and just the right amount of pressure. He's putting those big lips to great use.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's a little beginning to Sidney and Sophie. If you read the original, this is definitely different. But I'm moving towards the similar story line.