Status: Ongoing

Beside Me

Overture: One Step Closer

His army boots touched the ground and the young boy got off his motorcycle, a Honda model. His short wavy dark blonde hair was revealed once he took off the black helmet protecting his head. His hand ran through hair as the blonde guy took a good look of the scenery surrounding him; suberban neighbourhood , trim houses and lots of trees. And all those things were accompanied by the thick layer of peace covering the area...
His eyes scanned once more the neighbourhood. It took him a few moments to realize where he was; in the south suburbs of Louisiana, in America. The young boy with the deep emerald eyes had just crossed the Atlantic Ocean, leaving Bordeaux forever. But, along with his hometown, he left back his friends, his memories, his whole life... Every single thing that mattered to him was back there. And what could he do? Nothing...Just nothing!
He had no choice but accept the reality, leave from Bordeaux and move to Louisiana with the only family that he was left; his uncle, Jeremy, and his cousin, Ian. Did they really want him or did they do it because they felt pity? Were they forced to do so or did their heart want it? But, if his uncle Jeremy didin't become his guardian, then he would be forced to suffer the worst consequences.
In the thought of having to suffer those coscequences, he clenched his fists, being afraid of the worst. His heart skipped a beat as he took one step closer to the alluminium - made door of the house he was supposed to stay for the next years of his life. And he didn't want to believe that a every step brought him closer to the unpredictable, to the unknown, to some things, or better, to people who would change his life, people that he hadn't talked to since he was five years old.
Truth be told, the emerald-eyed guy had never tried to contact his uncle and cousin after that summer he had spent with them when he was young. Even though there were milions of ways to communicate with each other, none of them had ever tried to talk to each other!
Family...We are family... Just because of the blood that runs through our veins... the thought of living with people he didn't really know drove him crazy.
Finally, deciding that he had no other choice, the seveteen-year old knocked on the door. He stood there, knowing that someone wouldcome to welcome him. The sound of the steps flew to his ears making him realize that the person was coming closer and closer to him. The faster the person moved, the closer the blonde one was to the unknown. With the passage of every single minute, the emerald-eyed guy felt a strange kind of fear spreading across his body. Fear for the past, for the present, for the future.
''My cousin, Nicolas Harrington'' said his cousin and after a couple of seconds, the guy extended his hand only to beshaken by Nicolas’.
He was a young boy at his age, with short wavy black hair and deep blue eyes. Nicolas must have been a few inches taller as he was 6’2’’ feet tall while his cousin was 6’1’’. ''Come on in man'' he forced a smile trying to hide his sadness and pity that covered his face.
The blonde-haired guy tried to ignore the annoying expression on his cousin's face, an expression he had to accept sooner or later, let his backbag and his helmet on the sofa and went on heading for the counter. Before he could even realize it, another man came in the room.
That was his uncle Jeremy, a man with short black hair and the very same blue eyes. Though Ian and Jeremy did resemble one another, Ian wasn't Jeremy's son. From what Nicolas knew, the boy started living with him at the age of thirteen. His parents were successful enterpreneurs. So, little time did they have to look after their son. As a result, Jeremy , who was Ian's mother's brother, became his guardian.
''Uncle, I want to th-''.
''You want to see your room, don't you?'' he prevented him from making the akward silence cover the place. ''Come on'' Jeremy said referring to the both of them and Nicolas grabbed his stuff and followed suit with Ian moving behind him.
The fisrt door on the right was a small but nice room. It wasn't anything special but at least it had the necessary things. The walls were painted in the color of gray blue and the curtain that covered the window had the same shade of blue. The furniture must have been new, or at least that's what he assumed from the fine surfaces. Well, the best thing was the window that led him straight to the moon.
After all, this was the only place that he could be alone, without anybody else asking questions. If Nicolas had the chance to make one wish come true, he would wish for silence and peace. But could such a thing happen when everybody would ask questions concerning the reason why he left from Bordeaux, concerning his past.
''Nicolas? Still here?'' the man asked making him go back to reality. ''You can do whatever you want with the walls. In no case are you allowed to scribble on them'' he said and closed the door leaving him alone.
He laid down on the bed. His eyes closed. Nicolas took a deep breath. He needed a few seconds to realize what had just happened.
Ian and Jeremy, huh? No one can be compared to Pierre...
Pierre, his best friend..That perverted crazy boy.. There was not even one girl that he hadn't flirted with. And now...now he was gone. The time they spent together while they were teammates after having joined the same polo club… Still, it wasn't the only thing that made his life seem empty.
''Jeremy?'' he heard Ian's voice and opened his eyes. ''I knocked but you wouldn't answer. Anyway, I'm gonna hang out with a bunch of friends.Wanna come?'' Ian proposed politely knowing the obvious answer.
''I'm not in the mood'' he shook his head.
''They are cool guys. Are you sure you don't wanna come?'' he asked again and waited for his cousin to shake his head in denial.
When the door closed the boy with the blonde hair grabbed his backbag, searching for two things that would help him let the pain go, or at least that's what he thought…
He held the cigarette between his lips and lit it up…
The tobacco filled his lungs...
He thought he could forget his past. But he was at the bottom of the dark ocean... Where not even one person could touch his heart...