Sequel: Float On
Status: Update every Saturday!

Shuffle

[Penny Lane]

-Saya's POV-


Things at the Andou household have been pretty tense the past two weeks. There seems to be trouble in paradise between Die and Rhu. Both attempt to hide it from me, but they're terrible liars. Lately, I've been working long hours at the studio with the intention of avoiding drama. Unfortunately, it literally seemed to follow me wherever I went. Die and I walked toward the SMEJ building together. He paused at the front doors, fishing through his pockets before withdrawing a cigarette and lighter. His tired eyes settled on mine as he flicked his lighter.

"You picked up that habit again?" I questioned, turning to face him. His gaze was cold and distant.

"You don't have to wait for me." He murmured, taking a drag. I frowned, moving away with a shrug. I guess I'd be taking the lift alone today. "Can we meet for lunch?" His voice quickly asked as I pulled the heavy glass doors open. I was surprised by his sudden interest. His distant eyes met mine, wisps of black and red falling in front of them.

"Sure." I smiled, tucking a teal chunk behind my ear. "The usual place?" I questioned, foot holding open the door. He nodded silently, hands resting in his pockets. "See you at noon then!" I waved, stepping onto the marbled tile of the building.

'What could he want to talk about?' I thought to myself as I entered the elevator, quickly reaching my floor. It was still early, so the lift wasn't busy yet. I pulled open the door to my recording studio. Toki greeted me from behind the recording window, waving his arms above his head frantically. Today his hair was neon orange and he wore a ridiculous furry vest. I couldn't help but to smile to myself as I quickly settled into the day's routine.

Noon arrived before I knew it, and I rushed to meet Die at the café I'd frequented almost daily. He was already settled into our booth, two mugs waiting for us.

"Sorry I'm a bit late." I panted, plopping across from him. "What's up?" I exhaled. He took a sip of his drink, letting his eyes fall shut as he thought.

"I didn't know who else to go to..." He started, voice exhausted. "Rhu's pregnant, and I want her to get an abortion." He sighed. I was wide eyed.

"...Rhu is pregnant?" I whispered. He nodded solemnly. "I guess that explains all the tension." I sighed. I'd be pissed too if my boyfriend wanted me to have an abortion.

"We found out about two weeks ago. But the baby isn't growing inside her uterus." He stammered.

"An ectopic pregnancy?" I questioned, suddenly understanding Die's perspective. "They're very dangerous. At least you caught it in time..." I frowned, studying the steam that billowed from my mug. Die's hands moved to his hair.

"She's almost four months along..." He murmured.

"Four months?!" I exclaimed, wide eyed. Was that even possible?

"That's what I said." He sighed. "That's why she won't terminate it. She's so far along, and the baby is developing normally. It's completely healthy. It's just in the wrong spot." I was silent, momentarily in shock. What are the odds? Of course it would happen to Rhu.

"She's willing to risk her life for the baby..." I shook my head. "Typical Rhu..." I frowned. I noticed Die's lips twitch into a smile momentarily.

"I don't want to lose her, Saya. We could have more kids..."

"So you want to raise children with her?" I asked. He nodded, smiling to himself.

"She's amazing." He chuckled, "I want to be with her for a long time. And we could wait until the timing is better for her-she's still so young, and I'm so busy with Dir en Grey. If this pregnancy wasn't so risky, I'd support her 100%. But I can't chance losing her. I don't even know if they baby will make it. I could lose them both...then it will all have been in vain." He uttered. I'd never seen this side of Die-at least when a woman was involved. It was really very touching. It was just such a shame what was happening.

"Rhu's too stubborn and optimistic to accept that explanation. If she had a 0.003% chance of her and her baby making it out of this okay, she'd take those odds." I frowned. He nodded in agreement.

"She's willing to risk everything to give this baby life. She gave me some bullshit excuse about her mom and Opal..." He furrowed his brows, taking another sip of coffee. I nodded, gathering my thoughts. I think I understand where Rhu is coming from.

"I hear what you're saying...but I guess you'll never understand how a woman feels." I shrugged, "Rhu has a life growing inside her-one the two of you created. She loves it just as much as she loves you. She couldn't kill you, even if you did pose a threat to your life. She knows you would never hurt her purposely. I'll bet she sees this baby the same way. So, she's going to do her best to give this baby a shot at life." I shook my head. "Rhu has always put others before herself-you've seen that first hand. Unfortunately, nothing is going to change her mind about this." I frowned.

"Why does she have to be such a fucking amazing person?" Die growled, burying his face in his palms. I exhaled, squeezing out of the booth over to his side to wrap my arms around the fragile man.

"...Your baby is going to be beautiful, Nii-san. Congratulations." I smiled as he buried his face in my shoulder, squeezing tightly.

"Thanks." He sighed, eventually releasing me. "Sorry I'm keeping you from work. You didn't even eat." He frowned checking his watch. I shrugged.

"I haven't had much of an appetite." I smiled. Die shook his head, digging into his back pocket for his wallet. He pulled a few bills from it, forcing them into my hand.

"Get something to go. If you're late just blame me." He grinned wide.

"Okay...but only if you keeping doing that." I grinned crookedly. He cocked his head.

"Doing what?" He questioned.

"Smiling!" I giggled. I seemed to catch him off guard, and he ruffled my blue locks before bidding me farewell. He seemed to hold himself a bit taller than before. I hoped for his sake that everything would turn out okay. But, I didn't want to give into any falsehoods.

Rhu and her baby would probably die.

-Rhu's POV-


My side ached, another crippling surge of pain stretching from my shoulder to stomach. I clutched my belly, falling into the bed with a groan. I was told to begin expecting these types of attacks, now that the baby was growing larger. The doctors still pressed for an abortion, but I refused. Even Die had been pleading once the pain began.

I let my eyes fall shut, exhaling slowly as I fought to focus on something other than my body. Die's words swarmed through my head, angry and desperate. He wanted me to have an abortion. He didn't want the baby. Hot tears swelled in my eyes, my throat sealing shut as I recalled the argument we'd had this morning.

'I can do this!' I exclaimed, fuming as Die paced in front of me. 'Why can't you just support my decision?! I want to have this baby!'

'Because it's too risky! You heard the doctors! You could bleed out and die! The baby probably won't even make it...why take that risk?!' He retorted.

'Because it's our baby!' I screamed.

'We can have another baby! One that's planned!'

'So this is just an accident?!' I narrowed my eyes.

'Yes! Yes it is! Did you plan for it?! No! Who would plan to carry a baby that could potentially kill them?! No one!' He hollered. I went silent. There was no arguing with this man. It was obvious what he wanted-or what he didn't want for that matter.

'I guess I'll be doing this by myself...' I murmured, eyes downcast. I could feel his gaze on me.

'You might not even be around!' He hissed, 'You're making the decision to let ME raise this baby alone. Or for me to just be alone! You could both die! For what?! Absolutely nothing! Everything we have now...what's the point if you're going to die?!' He yelled.

'I don't have to die!'

'You have no control over that!'

'But what if I didn't?! What if neither of us did?! Then we would just be a normal, happy family. Why would you chance that?!' I scoffed.

'You're so...blissfully ignorant! Did you hear NOTHING the professionals said, Rhu?!' He groaned, groping his head. 'What's the point in arguing with you...you're too stubborn and selfish to even consider my perspective!' He screeched. 'Please don't do this...don't leave me.' Die plead. I bit my lip in silence.


Tears finally broke free, falling down my cheeks as I gasped for air. The arguments had been going on like this for two weeks now, and they were only getting worse. What if I didn't make it, but the baby did...would Die still raise it? Would he even love this baby? Did he still love me?

I heard a metallic click, indicating Die had returned. I quickly wiped my face dry, feigning sleep as he entered the bedroom. I felt the bed shift as his weight joined me. His arms tenderly laced about my waist, my body molding to his. His lips touched the back of my neck, sending shivers down my spine. It seemed like ages since he last held and touched me like this.

"You smell like cigarettes." I whispered, noting the familiar stench on his skin.

"Sorry." He apologized, hands clasping over my own. "I've been a bit stressed...they help me deal. I promise not to smoke around you...I know it's bad for the baby." He murmured. I turned slowly, catching the look in his eyes. It was different from what I'd been accustomed to these last weeks. His fingers moved to my face, tenderly stroking my moist cheek. He held a guilty expression, lips twisted into a frown.

"I'm sorry I haven't been very supportive lately..." He sighed. He really hadn't. I wasn't sure how to respond.

"What does this mean?" I questioned, still facing away from him.

"...It means I'm trying." He responded, "...to see things from your perspective. I think I've been narrow minded about the whole thing. I only heard what the doctors have been saying and what I was thinking. I didn't consider how you were feeling. And I'm sorry about that." He frowned. I was still hesitant. After the past two weeks, was this nothing more than a trick?

"I want us to have this baby...and raise it together. I want that more than anything." He whispered. "But I'm terrified." He admitted.

"...Me too..." I whimpered after a long pause. Exhaling an exhausted breath, I turned in his arms to face him. His features were gentle, the Die I was accustomed to seeing. "I'm scared...but I keep picturing the laugh of our little boy or girl. I imagine the smile on their little face, and their shining eyes...your eyes." I smiled, "And that makes everything worthwhile. I'm doing everything I can to be strong. But I can't do this alone..." I frowned. Die's arms held me tighter, his face burrowing into my neck.

"I'm sorry." He whispered, "I'm here now. I'm not going anywhere." I felt his lips turn into a smile against my skin as I wrapped my own arms around him. I tangled my fingers into his silky hair, letting out the breath I'd been holding.

It felt as if an enormous weight had been lifted from my shoulders. Tears burst from my eyes, but they weren't tears of sorrow. It was relief, and happiness. This was the reception I'd hoped to have for my baby. Two parents happy to welcome their child into this world.

As if Die knew what I was thinking, he leaned into me, pressing his lips to mine. I'd missed his touch. I missed the way my heart raced when he feathered his lips over mine.

"I'm taking you out this weekend." He suddenly informed me, a smug gleam in his eyes.

"What? Why?" I cocked my head.

"Oh come on...you didn't expect to sit around for your birthday weekend did you?" He smirked. I went wide eyed. Was it that time already?!

"Where are we going?"

"It's a surprise." He shrugged. "I hope you're comfortable, because we're leaving in an hour!" He informed me.

"Excuse me?!" I squeaked.

"I already have your bags packed." He nodded. "We have a long train ride ahead of us!" I was flabbergasted.

Soon, Die and I were settled into a small bench on the train. I smiled to myself, recalling the last time we'd been on the train was when I had returned to Japan with Die. I felt him snake his arms around my waist, gently resting them on my belly. He rested his chin on my head, his fingers absentmindedly stroking my stomach.

"You're starting to show." He mused, smiling to himself. I glanced up at him, surprised by his amusement. He met my gaze, his eyes shining tenderly.

-Saya's POV-


As I was leaving the studio for the evening, a familiar mop of messy hair was propped against the outside of the building. A cigarette hung loosely from his lips as his fierce, almond gaze met mine. His lips twisted into a crooked grin as he pushed away from the concrete walls.

"What took you so long?" He questioned, moving the cig to his fingers, smoke billowing from his lips.

"You were waiting for me?" I cocked my head, adjusting the strap of my messenger bag across my shoulder.

"I have an appointment today. I'd like you to join me." He responded matter-of-factly, closing the distance between us. I furrowed my brows in confusion as he hooked his arm under my own, ushering me along.

"Hurry, or we'll be late!" He demanded. My feet followed him of their own accord.

"Kyo! Right on time!" An elderly man covered in ink and piercings grinned. We were on the second floor of a tattoo studio. It was small, and images filled the walls. Kyo was getting his newest piece filled in today. He figured I'd want to join him. He was right, as usual. He and the artist conversed amongst themselves as I made myself busy examining the many books and photos.

"Is this your girlfriend?" The artist questioned, catching my attention as he gestured toward me. I felt heat on my cheeks, head whipping toward the two. I narrowed my eyes noticing the smirk growing on Kyo's lips.

"My wife actually! We're expecting!" Kyo grinned.

"K-KYO!!!" I stammered, face red in rage. "Don't lie!" He only laughed along with the artist. I rolled my eyes, moving closer to inspect his work. Kyo didn't even flinch as he moved over the tender skin of his narrow pelvic bones. Although I didn't expect Kyo to flinch. He had his arms thrown behind his head comfortably, as if he was getting a massage. He was such a sadist.

"I'm Saya. Kyo and I have known each other since high school." I answered the man honestly. His attention remained on the lines of the tattoo.

"That long, eh? What are you waiting for then?!" He hollered, free hand smacking Kyo's thigh. "She's a beautiful woman!" He pointed the tattoo gun toward Kyo's face, eyes narrowed. Kyo only laughed heartily, making my legs feel like jell-o. Seeing this side of him was rare. I loved his laugh.

About two hours passed before the man announced he had completed his work. Kyo thanked the elderly man before paying him a hefty sum. It was no wonder he didn't suggest his artist to me-I could never afford his prices! But he was certainly paying for quality.

"You must be making some pretty impressive money now." I commented during our drive back to Die's place. Kyo glanced sideways toward me, shrugging in response.

"I guess so. We're getting pretty big in Europe and the US right now. We're touring in the US for the first time in August. Marrow of a Bone is doing pretty well over there." He added with a grin.

"Have you ever been to the US?" I questioned. He shook his head in response. "Are you nervous?" He laughed at that.

"Have I ever been nervous on stage? That's the only place I can ever really be myself. I bear my soul up there."

"That's true." I smiled, "I don't know how you can be so vulnerable in front of thousands of people."

"I don't think about them. I'm not really singing for them...I'm singing for myself. I don't care if my voice is heard. I don't care if I suck. I just care about letting it all out."

"...You said the same thing in high school." I reminisced. Kyo's gaze moved to me, his eyes wide.

"I did?"

"Yep. On the roof!" I giggled resting my chin in my palm as I studied his features.

"I almost forgot about those days..." He sighed.

"Me too." I admitted. "I was glad I found my diary while I ransacked your closet." I teased.

"You never did clean that up." He grumbled.

"I didn't?!" I squeaked, racking my brain. I could have sworn I cleaned up the mess I made that night.

"Nope! I dragged you back into bed then we rushed into the studio the following morning." He retorted. "You haven't been over since. The mess is still waiting for you." He winked.

"You didn't clean it?!" I exclaimed.

"I haven't had time! Studio recording, band practice, interviews, dealing with the manager..."

"Oh don't give me that!" I interrupted, "Dir en Grey's on hiatus! No one's been doing anything!" I gave him a smug look.

"Die and Toshiya may be gone, but Kaoru, Shinya, and I have been making up for the two of them!" He growled. "I'm working my ass off." I'd obviously struck a nerve.

"Sorry..." I murmured, "I didn't know..."

"How could you?" He groaned. "If you're not working you're shut up in Die's place."

"...Is that why you asked me out today?" I questioned, stomach twisting in a knot of deceit. Did he pity me? Is that what this is all about?

"No." He huffed, as if knowing what I was thinking. "I guess...I just..." He muttered something unintelligible.

"What was that?" I questioned.

"I MISSED YOU!!! OKAY?!!!" He snapped, clenching the steering wheel tightly. I felt my heart flutter in my chest, my cheeks a rosy red color.

"Well then...why are we going back to Die's?" I murmured. His eyes flicked to mine momentarily, a question in them. "Take me to your place, so we can spend more time together." I suggested, more like demanded. I noticed his lips twitch into a crooked smile as he quickly changed our direction.

[...]


Kyo and I lied on his bed, munching on pork and cabbage dumplings. Kyo made the best dumplings. And I would never get over how he would just eat whole meals in his bed. He had a perfectly working kitchen table, but preferred the comfort of his bedroom. Even the living room wouldn't do.

"You really enjoy this garbage?" Kyo complained, gesturing toward the television. I'd insisted on watching a Korean drama, one that Kyo was obviously not enjoying.

"Yes!" I huffed. "And this is one of the better ones!" I pouted.

"What is the last thing you watched that wasn't about some girl masquerading as a boy?" He narrowed his eyes. "Who is failing terribly, by the way." He quickly added, popping a dumpling into his mouth. I scrunched my face in thought.

"Good Doctor...it's about an autistic doctor who-"

"Is it another load of Korean garbage?" He retorted.

"It is not garbage!" I huffed. "Oh my god! I know what this is about!" I quickly exclaimed, sitting up and pointing at him. He had a questioning look on his face. "You're completely racist!" I hollered. Kyo went wide eyed, pointing to himself as he struggled to wash down his dumpling.

"ME? Racist?! Against Koreans?!!! I'M ASIAN!!! Or did you forget?!" He rolled his eyes.

"You're Japanese. Not Korean." I rolled my eyes. He only shrugged.

"I can still recognize garbage when I see it."

"Well then you pick something!" I huffed, "...that isn't Star Wars!" I quickly added.

"There is nothing wrong with Star Wars!" He huffed, already reaching for the disc he kept in his nightstand drawer.

"No!" I exclaimed, rolling over him to pin down his arm. He easily pushed me off, demonstrating the muscles he'd been building. I wasn't done yet. I ran around the bed, practically throwing his nightstand across the room. His menacing eyes met mine, and I knew he was serious now.

"You're dead." He growled, grabbing me by the hips and throwing my body to the bed face down. I felt his weight fall on me, his arms wrapping me in a head lock. Recalling my crisis response training from nursing school, I quickly slipped out of his grip with a sly grin. I jumped on his back, wrapping my thighs around his head and pulling his legs behind him.

"Do you surrender?" I smirked as he reached for me, clawing at my shirt. My clothes were already bunched up, and I realized my torso was exposed-scars and all. I suddenly lost breath, releasing the man as I quickly fixed my attire. His somber gaze was on the pink lines covering my stomach.

"Don't look..." I stammered, wrapping myself in my own arms. I suddenly felt his embrace enclose me, my face buried in his familiar torso. My heart pounded unsteadily.

"I-I'm sorry." He whispered. I suddenly noticed how his body shook. "I should have been there for you. This should never have happened...it shouldn't happen to anyone."

"There's nothing you could have done, Kyo." I frowned. It was the truth. No one could have stopped him.

"You should have never been with him." He growled, "It's my fault...I should never have left you back then. We would have still been together..."

"In high school?" I whispered. His silence confirmed my question. "Kyo, what you did was for the best. I went to college because of you. I became a nurse. And look...I still managed to find you." I pulled away, smiling gently. His shaking eyes fell onto mine, full of emotion and longing.

"I love you." He whispered, his fingers caressing my cheeks as his face moved closer. His lips quickly brushed over mine, and my heart thrummed nervously in my chest. It wasn't a good feeling. I felt my throat swelling shut, head spinning with dreadful reminders of the last man to touch me like this. The man who ripped me apart, demolished me, raped me, mutilated me, destroyed me... My palms pushed against Kyo's torso, moving him away from me as I flew backwards.

I struggled to collect myself, focusing on my breathing as memories flooded my mind. I glanced toward Kyo, noting the hurt expression on his face.

"I'm sorry." I whispered, "I'm just... I'm not ready." I stammered. He nodded in understanding.

"I can wait." He offered, lips tugging in a sad smile. I shook my head, tears stinging my eyes. It wasn't fair to him...to have to wait for someone who may never get better. I was nothing more than a pile of garbage.

"No...don't wait for me." I shook my head, moving from the bed. "Find someone better than me. Someone who won't hurt you-who hasn't hurt you. I can't be with you Kyo." I frowned. Kyo's eyes were wide, heartbroken.

"You really don't want to try?" He asked.

"I'm not ready to try. I can't even look at myself in the mirror." I admitted, "I changed everything...hoping there would be a new person looking back at me in the mirror. But it's still just me."

Suddenly, I realized why I felt so empty.

"I don't love myself Kyo. I don't even like myself. How can I like someone I don't even know? I spent years being the person HE wanted me to be, that I lost myself..."

I needed to find myself again.

"I-I'm going to leave Japan." I stuttered.

"What?" He questioned.

"I'm going to leave." I nodded.

"Where will you go?" He asked. Rhu suddenly crossed my mind-she came to Japan to better understand her hertitage, and she found herself here.

"The US." I smiled. "Where my family is from. I'm going there."

Kyo had this look of 'have you lost your mind?' on his face. I didn't blame him. I did sound crazy right now. But it was the best idea I'd had in months.

"Kyo, I think the clearest when you're around. You always give me the best advice, and the best ideas. I know this is what I need to do."

"Will you come back?" He questioned. I didn't know how to respond. Would I come back? Probably. Should I come back? Probably not. What if I found the perfect life for myself in the US? Shouldn't I give it a shot?

"I don't know." I finally admitted.

"How are you going to get there? What about work? Where will you live?"

"I don't know." I shrugged.

"Why don't you wait for Rhu and Die to return...talk to Rhu about it. Maybe you can stay with her family?" He suggested. "And SMEJ is just Sony's Japan branch...maybe you can get transferred to their main branch?"

"You're okay with this?" I was surprised.

"I don't want you to leave." He admitted, "But...I always had a suspicion you would. There's something better for you out there."

"Kyo..."

"I don't want to let you go." He frowned. "But you're not mine to keep. You're your own person."

He was right-I am my own person with my own path to lead. I had my own destiny to make. I was just amazed Kyo realized that. I thought he would be the one person to keep me here.

"Why are you so level headed about this?" I choked. He smiled sadly.

"I let you go once before...and you came back to me. I'm hoping you'll make a habit of it." He chuckled.

-Rhu's POV-


"Daisuke, this is perfect!" I beamed as he held open the cottage door for me, million watt smile plastered to his face. I brushed past him, already in love with the small loft campsite. The main floor was open concept, giving a striking view of the ocean through the screened in window. I could feel the breeze against my skin, ocean salt filling the air. I noticed a narrow staircase leading to the loft, no doubt where the bedroom was located. I couldn't wait to sleep up there.

"It reminded me of your aunt's place." Die interrupted my thoughts, his arms wrapping around my waist. "Our bags are already here." He added, his lips caressing my neck delicately. I was melting.

"Can we go for a swim?" I beamed. It was already pretty late-I didn't want to miss any beach time. Die laughed, releasing me of his grip.

"Sakana-chan!" He teased, urging me into the loft so that we could change. I glared back at him as I climbed the narrow staircase.

"I'm not a fish." I grumbled, noting the large bed with transparent gauzy fabric surrounding it. Our bags were on the floor, and I immediately found mine. Zipping it open, I didn't recognize any of the clothes in it. I pulled out pieces that I'd never owned before. They were from Japanese boutiques, judging from the tag.

"You didn't!" I growled, clutching the cloth to my chest and glaring at the man. He smirked crookedly, digging through his own bag.

"Happy birthday!" He teased.

"I thought you said you didn't get me anything!" I whined. The man had bought me a whole new wardrobe for this weekend...and then some. "And what is this?!" I tutted, holding up lacy lingerie. He still held that smug look on his face.

"That's mostly for me." He sniggered, slipping into his swim trunks as I searched for my bathing suit. He had found me a mint, strapless flounce top with patterned eyelets. The bottoms were a simple, black bikini. Soon, we were hand in hand at the beach, the powdery sand covering my toes. The water was cool, but not chilly, and the wind felt amazing contrasted to the hot sun.

As the sky turned shades of pink, blue, and orange, we walked along the shore collecting shells. Occasionally I would notice people pointing toward Die, accompanied by a fangirlish squeal. On a few occasions, he was approached and asked for a selfie.

"I guess you're pretty famous." I commented as he kept one arm over my shoulders. He shrugged, his dazzling gaze falling on me.

"We're pretty big here, and gaining notice overseas as well." He grinned. "So I'll be able to support the two of you easily!" He chuckled, his hand moving to my baby bump. I felt myself blushing as he did so. I still couldn't wrap my head around it.

"We're going to have to tell everyone soon." I mentioned. He nodded in agreement.

"Don't be mad...but I already told Saya about it." He flinched dramatically.

"What?!" I whined, "I wanted to tell her!!!" I groaned.

"I'm sorry! I needed someone to talk to and she's always been good for that!" He pouted.

"It's okay, I guesssss." I teased, stopping in place momentarily to wrap my arms around his neck and lean into him. His grasp travelled to my hips, holding me close as our lips connected. The sea lapping at my toes, wind on my skin, and love in my arms was all I needed to make this moment perfect. I couldn't wait to see what the rest of this weekend had in store.

[...]


Die and I sat in the back of a taxi, bodies weary from an already busy day. We spent the morning on the beach and had lunch out at a fantastic restaurant. Now, I wasn't sure where we were headed. I had on a cotton maxi skirt and short, peach colored top. My hair fell in ringlets across my chest, and my skin already had a golden glow to it. Die's fingers played with one of my chestnut curls, his lips on my head.

"Are you going to tell me where we're going?" I complained, fingers tracing designs on his thigh.

"Nope." He grinned. "It's part of your birthday surprise." He teased. I pouted, cringing as a pain struck my side. "Are you okay?" He questioned. I hadn't realized how much my body jolted.

"Yeah." I lied, forcing a smile as I adjusted myself. It hurt a bit less, but it wouldn't last forever. Each day, the pains grew worse as my baby grew larger. I wasn't sure how much longer I could hide it from him. I didn't want him worrying.

Eventually, the taxi came to a stop. Die quickly paid the driver and helped me out of the car. It felt good to stretch. We were in the car for about 30 minutes, but it felt more like two hours. Glancing around, I realized we were in a residential area. Die took my hand, leading me to an average sized home. I noticed numerous cars in the driveway. He glanced back at me, a large smile on his face.

"Where are we?" I questioned.

"Mie." He grinned. I rolled my eyes. I already knew we were in Mie. I couldn't recall why it was important...that is until the door swung open to reveal an older couple.

"Daisuke!" The exclaimed in unison, quickly wrapping their arms around Die. "And you must be Rhu!" The woman grinned, forcing me into the group hug as well. I recognized who they were at once after seeing Die's dazzling eyes and million-watt smile reflected on both their faces. He grew up in Mie...I was meeting his parents. I felt my heart flutter nervously in realization. I would kill him later.

"Rhu! Rhu Rhu Rhu!" A familiar voice chanted. I glanced around the mass of huggers, surprised to see a familiar face gazing back at me from her wheelchair.

"Opal?!" I exclaimed, Emma quickly popping up behind her.

"Happy birthday!" The two shouted as we were ushered into another set of arms.

"What are you doing here?!" I laughed as they squeezed me tightly. A little too tightly.

"Daisuke flew us up for the weekend!" Emma grinned. "He didn't want us to miss your birthday!"

"Die?" I squeaked, my gaze darting toward the man. He appeared dreamier by the moment. I couldn't wait to get him alone tonight...

"This is the last surprise, I promise." He grinned. I was introduced to Die's family-his mother Hiyori and father Daisuke. His sister, brother-in-law, niece, and nephew were there as well. Everyone was so welcoming. I already felt like a part of the family.

"You're the first girl he's brought home in a looong time." His sister nudged, sending her kids off to play with Opal. Die shot her a 'be quiet' look.

"So you've brought other girls home?" I replied smugly, making him roll his eyes.

"Not since we got this big." He shrugged. "Rhu is different." He smiled, lacing our fingers together. I felt a blush raise on my cheeks.

"So when can I expect more grandkids?" His mother chimed in, grinning smugly. My face turned the shade of a tomato as Die glanced my way-a guilty expression on his face. Emma's gaze landed on me as well. I felt like all eyes were glued to me-to my stomach.

"W-Well...actually..." I stammered crossing my arms over my belly. Die's arms wrapped around my shoulders, pulling me close.

"In about five months." He grinned, all others going wide eyed.

"Rhuby?" Emma questioned, head cocked. I chuckled nervously.

"We're having a baby!" I confirmed, cradling my abdomen. "We found out about a month ago and wanted to make sure everything was okay before sharing the news!" I beamed. Opal's face lit up.

"Aunt?!" She squeaked, pointing to herself. I nodded, smiling happily.

"Congratulations!" Die's sister exclaimed. "You're going to have one good looking kid." She added with a wink. "Any idea on the sex yet?" She questioned.

"No." I frowned. "They haven't been able to confirm it."

"Girl. For sure." She nodded. "They're stubborn. Chie was a mystery until I was about seven months along." She laughed playing with the young girl's jet black hair.

"That long?!" I groaned. "I don't know if I can wait that long!" I complained.

It seemed like no time had passed at all until it was time for Die and I to return to our cottage. We'd all planned to meet up at the beach the following morning, and spend the day together. The weekend passed so quickly. I was ecstatic to be with Opal on the beach again. I travelled with them back to the airport before returning for one last night. The sun was already setting over the ocean, beautiful colors reflected all around me.

"Thank you so much Daisuke. This has been the best birthday weekend...I'll admit it." I chuckled as we walked hand in hand along the beach.

"I'll make sure every year is better." He grinned throwing an arm around me.

"I loved meeting your family...Emma and Opal got along well with them too!" I beamed. "And I can't wait to see our child running around with Chie and Hika!" I laughed holding my belly. He smiled, pecking me on the forehead before stopping in place to stoop down to the ground.

"Another one?" I laughed as he gazed up at me, handing me a seashell. This one was larger than the rest-one of those swirly kinds where the animal lives inside.

"Is it still in there?" He questioned, grossed out by the idea but not wanting to kill an innocent creature. I shrugged, peeking inside the wide opening-expecting to find a slimy, boogery substance. Instead, something silver and sparkly shone brightly. It was attached to a band, and I had to check twice to ensure I wasn't seeing things.

There was a diamond ring inside the shell.

"Well...is it?" Die's voice questioned from below me. It was now I realized he was still propped on one knee in front of me, his dazzling eyes peering into mine. He had his signature smile plastered to his face as I fished the ring out, heart thrumming like crazy.

"Die..." I murmured, my throat sticky as if coated with honey.

"Rhuby...these past four, almost five months of my life have been amazing-and it's because of you. I never want to spend another moment without you. I can't wait to share our lives together, building our family. So...Rhuby..." He proposed. I was awestruck, mouth agape.

"Will you marry me?" He whispered.
♠ ♠ ♠
[...farewell...]

This chapter is dedicated to the sweetest, happiest, most loyal companion I have ever known this week. I'm broken. I've never loved unconditionally before meeting this tiny creature-she occupied my entire heart. I feel empty without her :( Knowing that she passed in pain and alone...I can't forgive myself. Coming home to an empty house without her smiling face greeting me...it's hard just to walk through my door. I can't seem to write without her sleeping at my feet. I can't even fall asleep without her curled up at my side. I just hope she knows she will always be in my heart, and that I'm so sorry I wasn't there for her. There's no replacing my Penny Lane. I miss her so much.

Image

[...authors note...]

Thanks for reading! As I mentioned, my publishing date is set to every other Saturday at this point. I apologize for the inconvenience, but I am physically and emotionally drained. I've caught up to my own writing, and I'm concerned about my ability to finish this piece in my own allotted time frame. :(

But again, thank you for reading! What do you think? Die proposed! Will Rhu say yes?!! :D And Saya plans to move to the US!!! How will Rhu react?! Find out in the next installment of Shuffle!

Much Love,

xoxdiebearxox