Rattled Bones

She was a raging sea trapped inside a raindrop

1941


Rose could feel the burning stare from Bucky all the way from across the diner. Her hands rested around the glass of her strawberry milkshake as she tried to focus on Irving’s story. She swore that she was about to break the frozen treat from its barrier if Bucky kept staring. Her fingers were becoming numb to the unsensational cold from the drink but she wouldn’t dare look to her right. Because if she did, it would be game over. Swallowing hard, she tried again to listen to the words that were pouring out the beautifully built blonde in front of her. But, she only caught a few words as he rambled on about his stories during training. It wasn’t until she heard Bucky’s name that her ears perked up, shifting in her seat, she zoned in on his words.

“Man, you shoulda’ seen the way Bucky handled some of these rookies. Some of these boys walk into those camps and think they own the place. Ha, Buck showed them real quick. Lucky son of a gun to get Sergeant.”

Louise narrowed her eyes as Rose magically appeared fully immersed into the stories Irving was spitting out involving the handsome brunette who just so happened to be boring a hole in the side of the girl’s head. Pursing her lips, she stood up in the booth, grabbing her purse. “I’ve got to go to the ladies room! Rose, dear, let’s go powder our noses.” She shooed the brunette out of the booth, grabbing her hand and rushing her towards the lavatory. Once behind closed doors, Louise pressed her back up against the wooden entry before sauntering her way towards the sink and mirrors. “Couldn’t help but notice Bucky’s here tonight.”

Rose chewed on her cheek, following suit in Louise’s footsteps. “Oh? I hadn’t noticed.”

Flickering a look towards her friend, she cocked a brow. “You sure? Cause it sure seemed like he noticed you. In fact, he seemed to be staring at you the entire time we’ve been here.” Leaning towards Rose, she squinted her eyes. “Is there something going on between you and him, Rose? Because I shrugged off Walter’s crazy story about you being with Bucky that night.” Focusing on the mirror, she messed with her hair, turning her head side to side. “I coulda’ sworn you said you’d never fancy him.”

“I honestly have no idea what you’re talking about, Lou.” Her hand reached up to comb through her curly locks.

“I’d like to think we’re best gals, Rose. I mean I did take you under my wing, despite Marybeth having a problem with it.” Turning completely away from the mirror, she crossed her arms across her chest. “You would tell me if something was going on between the twos of you, right?”

Rose clicked her tongue, sucking in a big gulp of air before letting it hiss out between teeth. Running a hand over her face and towards her hair, she sighed out. “I’d hardly call it something going on between us. We’ve just been running into each other-“

“-oh my word. You and Bucky?” Louise’s eyes widened, “How many times? How many dates?”

“They’re not dates, Louise.”

“Oh, cut me the lies.” Her hands uncrossed and reached out towards Rose’s arms, shaking her slightly, “How many dates?”

“I don’t know a few?” She breathed out.

“A few? As in two, three? Four?”

Rose unhooked Louise’s hands from herself, backing up slowly. “It’s been more than that,” she muttered out.

Louise let out a loud squeal, her eyes popping out of their sockets. She couldn’t believe it. James Buchanan Barnes managed to make it past three dates without ditching her. Although, Louise wouldn’t deny that Rose was more beautiful than words could describe. She just had a different look to her, like she didn’t belong in their time. Shaking her head, she placed a hand on her forehead, “Jesus me, Rose. Here I am trying to set you with Irving and yet you’ve got Bucky Barnes lusting after you.”

Rose let out a choked scoff, “He is not lusting after me. He’s just a friend.”

“Are you blind? He’s been staring at you, drilling holes into your pretty face all night! He wouldn’t be doing that if it weren’t for a reason. You gotta’ go out there to him. I’ll make up a story to Irving-“

“-but I like Irving.”

“What? You like Irving?”

Rose shrugged, hoping that her lies weren’t blatantly obvious. “Well, of course. He’s a proud, courageous gentleman.”

“And Bucky Barnes is not?” She questioned.

“Bucky is…” she trailed off, “he’s different. I can’t put my finger on exactly what he is but he’s something.”

Louise shook her head, “At least say hello to him, it’s the least you can do.”

Rose rolled her eyes as she followed her out of the bathroom. She was going to attempt to avoid him for as long as she could. It was beginning to get rather difficult to give into the feelings that would arise when she was around him. Just make it to the table Rose, she thought. Just as she thought she was going to make it, Louise hip checked Rose into Bucky’s table, causing her to fall directly into his lap. Rose bit her lip as she watched Louise scamper off quickly to the other side of the diner.

“Nice of you to drop in, Rosie.”

Swallowing hard, she turned to face him. Her breath hitching in her throat as she realized just how close she was to his face. He was beautiful to say he wasn’t was a lie. She adored every curve and line in his face, falling incredibly hard for his blue eyes. “It wasn’t by choice.” She muttered.

“Well, stay for a while.” His hand rested on her exposed knee, rubbing her skin as he smirked at her reddened cheeks.

Rose shot up out of his lap, smoothing out her skirt to cover the burning feeling of his skin leaving hers. “I’d love to but I’ve got a, uh, um-“

“-a date? Don’t be so modest, Rosie.” He flickered a look over towards Irving, feeling a slight pit of jealous barrel through his belly. “Irving’s a great guy.”

“Right,” she breathed, “a date.”

“You don’t look too happy about it, need me to swoop in for the save, again?”

Rose gritted her teeth; it was hard fighting the battle within her. “No.” She growled out.
Bucky chuckled, nodding. “Okay, okay but answer me this, will ya?” He waited for her to nod, “If I didn’t know any better, I would say that you’re avoiding me. Is that true?”

“No, of course not.”

“Mhm,” Bucky murmured. Inhaling, he motioned towards Irving, “Well, you better go on and get then. I’m sure he’s waiting for a pretty gal to grace his eyes.” Leaning forward, he smirked out. “But, if you find yourself bored,” he scooted out of the booth, laying down some money, he flickered her a look. “I’ll be in the park sitting on a bench.” Rose watched as he saluted towards a few girls that were giggling and calling out for him and then disappear out the door.

She walked slowly back to the table where Louise and Irving sat, her mind having a battle within. Her eyes danced across objects as she reached the table, almost missing the question Irving had asked her.

“Are you alright?”

Snapping out of her daze, she shrugged. “Uh, yes. Or well, I feel a little ill.”

“Ill?” Louise questioned in a bored tone.

“Yes, I think I might go home.”

Irving went to stand, “I’ll walk you home-“

“-no, no. That won’t be necessary. You should stay with Louise, she lives farther than me and she’ll need someone to walk her home. I’m just a few blocks away, I’ll be fine. Thank you.” Nodding her head, she ignored Louise’s smug look as she headed for the door. What was she doing?
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the delay, tried to make it a bit long for you loves.

ALSO, I feel like I now have to put this point across. I have rights to everything that isn't Marvel. I strive to make my readers come back for more with the ideas I create. I own Rose and everything about her. I created her to be put in the Marvel universe. So please do not take this story and post it somewhere else and claim that it is yours. I had to deal with that yesterday and it's very upsetting. Thank you.

A huge thank you to francosbaby and SarcasticNightmare.
A thank you to all of my subscribers, you all are amazing.
And another huge thank you to iron and wine for bringing up the stolen story to my attention.
xox

Image