Rattled Bones

Your worst battle is between what you know and what you feel.

1942


Jesus Christ, Rose.” Bucky sneered. He couldn’t comprehend the words that had just came from her mouth. The three of them had met up at the park like they usually did every Thursday around six and had taken a seat on the park bench with Rose being in the middle. “We sit down and the first thing you say is that?”

Rose left her mouth hanging slightly open, she couldn’t believe she had blurted out that Irving had asked her to marry him. She had plans to ease the conversation into the topic because she was expecting Bucky to react just as he had; disgust written all over his face. It had taken her by surprise when Irving had gotten down on one knee to ask her for hand in marriage. Sure she had spent a lot of her time with the handsome man but she never expected him to like her enough to want to marry her. They were hardly ever alone together, whenever she needed a date to attend a night out with Bucky, Steve, and their girls for the night; she’d call Irving.

Steve sat awkwardly next to Rose, he could feel the tension building between the two. Placing his hands in his lap, he looked off in the other direction wandering why Bucky didn’t just man up and tell Rose how he truly felt. He was sure that Bucky could more than spare the humiliation and moment of vulnerability to Rose. It was Rose, the girl that Bucky was excited to see over anyone.

“I’m sorry, I just, I wanted, I didn’t want you finding out from someone else.”

“So you said yes?”

Rose froze, she blinked a few times, unable to answer him. Her mouth hung open again, no sound coming from her mouth as she desperately tried to think of something to say. The whole conversation was going in the opposite direction of what she wanted. The entire night was going down the drain and it was all because of her. Words that hurt were going to be said, she could just feel it. “Bucky,” she pleaded.

“You said yes?!” He snarled.

She stared to panic, “I, I, you, Bucky, please.” Rose was almost hyperventilating, she threw her hands to her face in attempts of trying to figure out what words were going to be best in this situation. Rose knew Bucky was going to have a fit, she just knew it. It was evident that Bucky liked her more than he should, he had made it somewhat clear all those nights ago when she had first met Irving. He had practically told her in scripted words that she was the one he wanted but Rose could never let herself fall for him anymore than she had.

“Answer the damn question, Rose.” Bucky growled.

“Oh gee, would you look at that tree over there?” Steve shot up abruptly, his hand scratching the back of his head as he pointed with his free hand to a tree on the other side of the park. “I’m going to check it out, looks like it’s leaning. It could cause some real damage!” Rose watched as he scampered off with his tail between his legs. She wished that he had stayed, feeling that it would have saved her from the full extent of Bucky’s wrath.

“I will give you to the count of three to answer me Rose.”

“Buck,” Rose pleaded once more, she placed a hand on his arm, squeezing his bicep. She let her head fall down a little to avoid his stare, “I didn’t give him an answer. I didn’t say no and that’s just as bad as saying yes but-“

“-but what?” Bucky snapped, pulling his arm away from her grasp. His blood was boiling at the thought of Irving watching Rose walk down the aisle in a pretty white dress. He was seeing the color red just thinking that his hands would roam the places that were hidden underneath her clothing. Irving didn’t deserve Rose, no matter how honorable and brave the kid was. “You want to, don’t you?”

Her expression faltered, as she again couldn’t answer. Irving wasn’t a terrible guy, he most certainly didn’t give her butterflies like Bucky did but he wasn’t awful. Irving treated her wonderfully and with the right amount of time spent together, she was sure that she could fall in love with him. Whether or not she wanted to admit it, this was her way of accepting that Bucky would never be just hers; always someone else’s and more. “I don’t know what to say.”

Bucky pressed his lips together, his head dropping from her apologetic look. He truly thought he was getting somewhere with Rose. It wasn’t the chase anymore like it initially was. He actually liked her, found a little bit of himself locked away inside her laugh. Bucky would gladly give up the women he saw day in and day out for her, he just didn’t know how to tell her that part. “Your hesitation is my answer.” He stood up, his hand running through his dark thick hair. “I can’t believe you!” He felt like he had jumped out onto the train tracks.

“I don’t know what you want me to say, Bucky.” Rose was losing this fight and it was more so because she didn’t want to fight. She deserved to be yelled at, she was snubbing out the sound of her heart screaming for her to apologize and ask for forgiveness.

“You’re something else, you that, Rose?” He turned away from her, turning around in circle. Laughing in an angry way at their situation, he turned sharply towards her. His finger tipping off to her as he spoke, “I’ve tried, I’ve tried to get through you. I’ve practically given myself to you in a way that no one else on this earth has seen me.” He gave an angry chuckle as he plopped down to Rose. “I know you’ve heard of Bucky and the famous three dates only thing, haven’t you? Of course you have because I know who you’re friends are. Girls that I’ve dated three times and wanted nothing more with.” Bucky looked at her, his blue eyes dark as could be. “Don’t you think that there’s a reason why I’m still around, Rose? Hm? Did it ever occur to you that just maybe, just maybe I like you a little more than I should?”

“Bucky-“

“-you know what? Save it. I don’t wanna hear your explanation.” He stood up again, “You’re no better than the pick-ups down by 3rd and Main. Why don’t you just run along to Irving and live your happily ever after, huh? Go on and get out here, will ya?”

Rose shot up, her eyes full of tears that wished to tell her side of the story. She gritted her teeth as she took a step forward and poked him hard in the chest. “James Buchanan Barnes!” She sneered, the comparison of her and those girls that sold their bodies was enough to make any girl cry. “A pick-up, ay? I apologize my news made you snap your cap but don’t you dare compare me to those filthy misses that sell their bodies. I’ll be damned to let a man like you insult me like that.” Turning on her heel, she marched away, leaving a frowning Bucky standing behind her.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry for the short chapter :/ and
I'm sorry with the long time in between
updates. D: I'm a little busy with work.
I've been picking up extra shifts where I can
for extra vacation money. I'm going to Florida <3

Image