Rattled Bones

An unexpected moment is always sweeter.

1941


The night was filled with laughs, failed attempts in winning carnival games, and all around good fun. Rose had enjoyed herself, finding the evening to be exactly what she needed. The carnival was winding down to a close as the two of them wandered around. The games were closing up as the rides were slowing; there were a few stragglers, mainly young kids not wanting to go home and those couples that were never wanting the night to end. She smiled to herself as the lights flickered, signaling that in just short minutes, the fair would be completely shut down for the night. Rose almost didn’t want the night to end; Bucky wasn’t a bad kid when he got over trying to make her swoon.

Bucky guided her out of the fairground, the two of them close, side by side as he led them to wherever his feet were taking them. He had enjoyed himself too, almost unsure of how to make out the feelings he was feeling for Rose. He never got too close to girls because he knew that they were all trouble in the end. So instead of being the victim, he played the villain and stole their hearts before they could steal his. But, after the night he had, he was almost willing to let Rose steal it right from his chest.

“Are you scared?”

He sighed, shoving his hands in his pockets. “Everyone’s scared of going to war.” He glanced down at her, marveling at her many strands of hair that had fallen out of her ponytail. He didn’t peg Rose to be like those girls he had chased after countless amounts of times but he appreciated that she hardly cared what she looked like. But, it would have to take a blind man to think she wasn’t beautiful in any way.

She shook her head, “You didn’t answer my question, Barnes.”

He chuckled, removing a hand from his pocket; he slung it over her shoulders. Bucky felt comfortable with her, he didn’t feel like he had to prove anything. Sure, he still attempted to make her swoon and sigh in content with his many lines that he had tucked away but he could just be himself. He didn’t have to be the charming Bucky who just wanted to have a pretty girl placed underneath his arms. No, he could be the Bucky who just like to talk and not have to worry about seeming charming with every word he spoke. “Yeah, I’m scared, but then I’m not. I can’t explain it.”

Rose nodded, looking up at him, she smiled. “You’ve got courage, Bucky Barnes.”

“Is that what you call it?” He scoffed but not before returning her contagious smile.

“Well, what would you call it?”

“Dumb.” He spoke firmly, “I think we’re all stupid. But, it’s gotta be done by someone. So, yeah, I’m scared but does it matter?”

Rose stopped walking, causing Bucky to jerk and trip over his footing. She eyed him carefully when he turned around to look at her. She took a step forward, placing a hand on his chest. “That’s what courage is, wonderboy.” Removing her hand, she shook her head. “Courage is all about being scared to death but taking the initiative in doing it anyway.”

Bucky squinted his eyes, “Rosie, half these men aren’t courageous at all. Half of these men will leave you stranded on the battlefield for dead.” He gave a chuckle, but not because he thought it was funny. He rubbed his bottom lip with his thumb as he looked at her, staring intently into her green eyes.

“That may be true but you wouldn’t.” She stepped closer, “My mother always said that it was okay to be scared, because being scared meant that you were about to do something really, really brave.” Rose’s eyes glistened in the moonlight, her lips pursed as she continued, “I only ask if you’re scared because even though I already knew the answer, I just wanted to know if you’d actually admit it.”

“Why?”

She shrugged, walking towards him; she grabbed his arm and headed in the direction of her apartment. “People have this habit of showing others what they want to see instead of who they really are. I was just curious if you did it too.”

A smile tugged at the corners of his lips, “Did I disappoint you there, Rosie?”

Rose looked up at him, her arm looped through his, “Quite the opposite, Barnes.”

Bucky let the smile win, it was a lot harder to keep the upper hand when he was with her. Licking his lips, he broke her gaze. Staring into the dark city streets, he asked her, “What about you, hm? Do you have that habit?”

She thought for a moment before answering, “Sometimes.”

He nodded, the two walking arm in arm for a few minutes before he spoke again. “Did you ever do it to me? Show me someone else instead of who you really are?”

“The night I met you,” she started, her heart sinking as she thought about it. “I had spent a year previous sulking about my mother passing away that for a night I decided to be someone I wasn’t.” Her voice faltered as she thought about her mother but she quickly straightened up and continued, “I had all intentions of possibly doing something I had never done before. But, when I saw you, I chickened out.” Rose shook her head as she recalled that night, “I decided right there and then that I wasn’t going to do what I had gone to the jazz club to do. So did I ever directly act like someone else to you, no? But, I was sure close.”

Bucky chuckled, “What did seeing me make you chicken out of a good time?”

“You’re intimidating, Barnes. You’re ever so attractive and you know it.” She unhooked herself from him, covering her face with her hands. “I don’t know, you just scared me; you looked at me with such a look I’ve never seen directed my way. I’m just simple. Nothing fancy to look at and to feel you staring at me like that; it was scary.”

“Good god, Rosie.” Bucky laughed, running a hand through his neatly combed hair, “You make me sound like a dog.”

“Aren’t you?” She retorted, playfully.

He shook his head, “And you are something to look at. And that’s not me trying any lines at you, I promise.” Bucky slowed his steps with her apartment in view, he turned towards her, causing her to stop walking. “Looks ain’t the only thing that’s beautiful about you, doll.”

She couldn’t help but blush, “Stop.”

Bucky shrugged, smiling at the fact that he got her to blush. “I tell the truth.”

Rose shook her head, pulling herself towards her home. Glancing at Bucky, she pursed her lips. She really had enjoyed her time with him and it shocked her to even know she did. This was James Buchanan Barnes, the guy that Louise had inadvertently warned her about. He never stuck around for more than three dates and even though she technically given him one tonight, she was slightly concerned with how she would feel if he were to sucker her into two more. “Goodnight, Bucky.”

“Goodnight, Rosie.”

She watched him nod and then turn around, biting her lip, she called out for him. Skipping down the few steps she had gone up, she skittered to him. Slowing to a stop, she could feel her heart pounding in its place. Grabbing his face with her hand, she pressed her lips to his cheek. “Thank you for a lovely night, Barnes.” Turning on her heel, she headed back up the stairs, turning her head to see him standing where she had left him, grinning ear to ear.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry, I've been distracted. I started a tumblr and I became slightly addicted. D:
Give me some feedback so I can get back on track. How are you liking these flashback chapters? Are they giving you a better insight on why Bucky was so heartbroken from seeing her in the present? I hope it does. It's kind of hard to write backwards. But, thank you to those who still read.

OH. Before I forget, I've been working on another Bucky story but this one is going to be more or so shorter than normal short stories. Not necessarily drabble but kind of close. It'll probably only be a three part story. But, subscribe if you're interested. It'll before he even knows Steve Rogers. War Zone

xox
kay

Image