Enchanted to Meet You

Chapter 1

I guess I should start off by introducing myself. My name is Isabella Mary McNealy and I’m a 16 year old singer living in Sweden. Actually, Sweden is my home country, where I was born and was being raised. I loved Sweden more than any other place in the world, even though I’ve been to several other countries, including Finland, Ireland, Italy, Russia, and the United States of America. In the summer, Sweden is beautiful, especially by the ocean. It’s freezing cold in the winter, but I loved playing out in the snow. My family consists of: my mom Carolina, my dad Viggo, my twin brother Alex, my 12 year old sister, Lacy and my adopted 3 year sister, Lily. Alex plays hockey-which is the national sport here-and is a defenseman. Lacy wants to be a hockey player like Alex, so she plays in a girl’s league. As for me, while hockey is my favorite sport and I did play while I was younger, my heart is set on singing. My mom was in a band when she was younger, so that’s where I get my singing talent from. Actually, a hockey game is where my mom and dad met. As the story goes, mom was singing the national anthem at my dad’s hockey game and he fell in love with her voice. As after the game, they met and as the story goes, the rest is history. I hope to fall in love with someone someday. I want him to a hockey player (duh!) and he has to be honest, kind, loyal, sweet, and willing to do anything for me. In short, I want him to be just like my daddy because my daddy is all of those things. My daddy gave up his dream to be a professional hockey player to start a family with my mom. I’m so glad he did, otherwise, me, Alex and Lacy wouldn’t be here.

I let out a whine as Alex sat down right on top of me. “Alex, get of me,” I complained. He grinned at me and shook his head.

“Momma says it’s time to get up. We’re starting a new school today, remember,” he asked. I let out a sigh and shivered. I hated going to new schools- this is my fifth school in my short sixteen years. Because of daddy’s job, we moved a lot. I had a hard time making friends and I got made fun of a lot for being different. Alex must’ve seen my face, for he got off of me and pulled me up right into a hug. “Bella, I promise I will be by your side today. I’m scared too, but I’ll be here with you,” he told me. I slowly smiled.

“Thank you, Alex. Remind me to braid your hair later,” I teased, causing him to groan. I giggled and shooed him from the room so I could get dressed. After looking through my closet for several minutes, I decided to wear Alex’s jersey, my skinny jeans, and my new cowboy boots we’d brought when we went to the USA last fall. I quickly dressed and put my hair up in a braid before grabbing my Red Wings backpack and checking to make sure everything-including my song notebook-was safely tucked inside before grabbing my guitar and locking my bedroom door behind me. I whistled a soft tune as I made my way into the kitchen and the smell of pancakes hit my nose. I placed everything by the door so I could easily grab it on my way out and wandered into the kitchen to grab my plate and my fork.

“Morning, sweetheart. You ready for your first day at your new school,” momma asked me. I let out a groan and a shake of the head in reply and she sighed. “I know it’s hard for you, but you’ll be okay. Who knows, maybe not as many people will think of you as…..weird.” I nodded, trying to hide the tears that filled my eyes. I hated being shy but that’s the way I was. It was in this way that I was jealous of Lacy, who made friends quickly and easily. Lacy and I didn’t get along well at all, which was strange considering she was only four years younger than I was. It seems like she was always picking fights with me for whatever reason and I hated it. We did agree on one thing, however: ever since our trip to the USA last fall, Lacy and I had become huge Taylor Swift fans. It was weird considering we were Swedish, but that didn’t bother us. We loved Taylor Swift and other artists such as Carrie Underwood, Danielle Bradbery, Cassadee Pope, and Demi Lovato. Our favorite Taylor Swift song was “Enchanted”. We both agreed that it was the perfect romance song. Sighing, I took the pancakes mom gave me and sat down at the table, my stomach bouncing nervously.

“Good morning, beautiful. How was your night,” I heard Lacy sing out as she danced into the kitchen. I laughed: that was way Lacy greeted us every morning. Her outfit of the day was a pink
“Yes, Bella, I am ready. Are you,” she asked. I shook my head, looking down at my plate as a slight blush appeared over my face. She frowned and took the seat next to me, her hand reaching out to grab mine. I slowly looked up and took the hand she offered. “Bella, I know I’m four years younger, but do you think you could try to talk to more people,” she asked me. I sighed.
“I’m really trying to, Lace. I am. I just get scared and don’t know what to say,” I replied. She nodded.

“I know you are, sissy. You know, I’m going to try and change this year. We argue with each other too much and I hate that. I just want to be your little sister,” she whispered. I looked at her, shocked for a minute or two before I hugged her.

“That’s a good idea, Lacy. I’ll try and change too, okay?” She smiled into my shirt and I knew I had made the right decision.