Enchanted to Meet You

Chapter 3

*please see authors note*

Finally, it came time to go home. I wanted to go home-no, needed-to go home. The one thing I was grateful about was that I didn’t have homework, but I wanted to get out of that school. My anxiety was at an all time high and if one more thing happened to me, I was going to lose it. As I neared my locker, I noticed Alex and Niklas standing near it, but I dropped my books on the floor and raced into Alex’s arms, shaking.

“I…I wanna go home. I can’t handle this anymore Alex,” I whispered. He squeezed me tightly and held me close.

“We’re going home right now, Bella. We’re getting you out of here. Niklas, I’d love to hang out more, but I gotta get her home. She will lose it completely if she doesn’t get out,” Alex said, looking apologetically at Niklas. Niklas smiled and shook his head.

“No, it’s okay. Your sister is more important at the moment. Get her home and take care of her, I’ll see you both tomorrow,” he said. Reaching out his hand, he gently took my hand and placed a small piece of paper in it. I frowned at him, confusion and shock written all across my face. He chuckled. “It’s my phone number so you can call me if you need to talk. I know I just met you but I really want to be your friend.” As soon as the word “friend” left his mouth, tears of happiness filled my eyes. This was one of greatest things that had ever happened to me. A boy that I barely knew was asking me to be his friend? This was history in the making. Before I could say anything in reply, he kissed my hand, said “see you tomorrow, my lady” and walked off. I was blushing redder than I had ever blushed before and I could hear Alex laughing next to me, but I didn’t care. For the first time in ages, I was really happy to have a friend…even if it was a boy.

“You still wanna go home, Bella? Or do you wanna stay here,” Alex asked. I bit down hard on my lip, thinking for a long minute.

“Wanna go home Alex. Please?” He nodded and got all of our stuff (he handed me mine, of course) and together we walked to the doors. Daddy’s car was waiting for us and I hopped in the back seat while Alex took the front. I buckled my seat belt just like daddy had taught us to and lean back against the head rest, wishing the bad-not-so-bad day away.

“How was school today,” daddy asked. Normally I would’ve groaned and pleaded with him not to ask me about school, but today I actually smiled. I had to tell him about Niklas-my new friend.

“Daddy, today was pretty bad, but before I get to the bad, there was one good thing about today. I made a new friend at school. His name is Niklas and he’s just one of the nicest people I’ve ever met,” I told him excitedly. Daddy smiled at me in the review mirror.

“That is great sweetheart. Tell me more about him. In what way was he nice,” he asked. I bit my lip again, thinking hard for a long minute.

“Well, it kinda started off bad, I guess. I was putting my books in my locker and his locker was next to mine and he slammed it shut really hard. You know how I hate loud noises and it startled me so I jumped and when I landed I fell. I landed on my back and I was embarrassed cause the kids behind me were laughing. But he helped me up and asked me if I was okay.” I could see daddy nodding in approval. Daddy always told me that if you hurt someone-even on accident-you should always tell them you are sorry. Try and help them recover from the hurt you caused them. If they didn’t accept your help or apology, then just move on from it.

“He sounds like someone I would love to meet. I’m happy he helped you afterwards and didn’t just leave you like that like other kids would,” he said. I laughed at him.

“You’re right daddy, you would like to meet him. I want you to meet him,” I added, blushing as I said that last part. Daddy didn’t laugh; he simply smiled at me in the rearview mirror.

“You want me to meet him to judge if he is safe enough for you to be around,” he asked. I nodded and looked down at the car floor. I was such a backwards kid: most kids would’ve been fighting their parents and saying that this kid or that kid was safe to be around and that they wouldn’t get hurt. I was much different than these kids and I knew it, but it didn’t really bother me. Everyone was different and I of course was no exception. I loved being different-that was what made me who I was. No one was ever the same as you, which was why daddy told me he loved me for the way I was. He didn’t want to replace me with someone else. “I’d lose my sunshine if I didn’t have you,” he told me once. I was broken from my thoughts by Alex nudging my side.

“We’re home sis. You okay?” He looked worried, so I offered him a smile. He relaxed a bit at seeing me happy and hugged me. “I love it when you’re happy,” he informed me as we slid from our seats. I laughed at him.

“I know you do, Alex. I love it when you are happy too.” He laughed and winked at me.

“You wanna race,” he asked, knowing full well I loved a good challenge. I grinned at him.

“Not today. I don’t wanna wreak my guitar,” I said, nodding at the long brown guitar case I had gotten two years ago for Christmas. I was scared that I had hurt Alex’s feelings, but he smiled.

“I understand sis. Maybe next time,” he told me as he swung his backpack and mine over my shoulder. I snorted and shook my head at him as I grabbed my guitar.

“And this is why I love you Alex. Cause you’re so nice to me,” I teased him. He shoved my shoulder and rolled his eyes.

“I love you too, sissy,” he said as we neared the front door. I could see something delicious baking in the kitchen and could hear the high pitched laugh of my little sister, Lily. I loved her laugh more than anything in the world. It was one of the only sounds that could really make me smile. With a slight giggle, I opened the front door and laid my guitar case down just as Lily ran into my arms.

“Belllllaaa! Me misseded you today,” she squealed as I picked her up and placed her on my hip. I laughed and held her close to me, enjoying the weight of her in my arms after the hard day I had at school. Lily, as I had mentioned, was an adopted child. She was a pretty young thing, with blond reddish long hair and big brown eyes with sparkled with delight at every turn. I had been dubbed her “favorite sibling” by Lacy and for the most part, that was a true statement. Her favorite thing was when I sang to her. It didn’t matter if it was a soothing lullaby or a playful little song, she just loved to hear me sing.

“Hi, baby girl. Did you miss me today,” I asked her, readjusting her on my hip so she couldn’t fall. She tightened her arms around my neck and buried her face in my shoulder as a way of response.

“Yes Bella I did,” she said, her voice slightly muffled. I laughed and carried her into the couch, where I sat with her in my lap. I noticed that she was wearing my favorite dress of hers- the pink dress with white flowers on it-and it made me smile. Although Lily looked adorable in almost anything she wore, I personally thought that dress was the cutest. She tugged on my hand and looked at me with pleading eyes. “Sing for me,” she begged. I glanced over my shoulder at Alex, who gave me a quick grin and handed me my guitar. I grinned and took it from him but he could tell I wasn’t going to use it. I nodded at our big piano in the corner and he immediately went to it. Not only was Alex a great hockey player, but he also was an excellent piano player.

“What song are you singing today, Bella,” he asked, hands poised over the piano as if waiting for my order. I let out a laugh and shook my head at him. Did I mention that Alex was also a goofball? I was deep in thought for a long minute before I grinned and looked at him.

“Can You Feel the Love Tonight by Elton John,” I replied. He nodded and started playing the piano as momma, daddy and Lacy sat down to watch. They loved watching me and Alex perform-it was something we did every night.

There's a calm surrender to the rush of day
When the heat of a rolling wind can be turned away
An enchanted moment, and it sees me through
It's enough for this restless warrior just to be with you
And can you feel the love tonight?
It is where we are
It's enough for this wide-eyed wanderer
That we got this far
And can you feel the love tonight?
How it's laid to rest
It's enough to make kings and vagabonds
Believe the very best
There's a time for everyone if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn
There's a rhyme and reason to the wild outdoors
When the heart of this star-crossed voyager beats in time with yours
And can you feel the love tonight?
It is where we are
It's enough for this wide-eyed wanderer
That we got this far
And can you feel the love tonight?
How it's laid to rest
It's enough to make kings and vagabonds
Believe the very best
It's enough to make kings and vagabonds
Believe the very best
♠ ♠ ♠
*Can You Feel The Love Tonight is over 20 years old! anyway, I picked that song because it reminded me of my grandmother who died four years ago on March 20th. RIP Grandma <3*