Status: On-going

Change Your Life

Change your life – Chapter 4

“So you are getting married” my agent Ari began as I sat in his office the next Monday after my weekend dash to Amsterdam.

“Yes”

“In a week?”

“Yep. Nothing big just us at the courthouse with at least one witness”

Ari nodded as he continued to absorb the news.

“And this girl…”

“Minnie” I confirmed as his eyebrows shot up.

“Minnie? Is that here real name?”

I opened my mouth to replay but he just brushed me off before continuing.

“This Minnie girl is a former escort but you don’t want the media to know that?” he repeated the story I had just told him.

“Yes. She’s been through a lot and she’s giving up so much by agreeing to my proposal. I would appreciate it if you helped me with this” I pleaded as he sat back and looked at me.

“Robin I’m your agent. Its my job to make you look like a saint so of course ill do all I can to make this work but you also need to realise that there are some things that are out of my control” he explained.

“Like what?”

“Well Minnie is pretty new to this media game and she is probably not used to the paparazzi and how they work. If she gets followed around or swamped by the press she might not know how to react more worryingly she might say the wrong thing”

“I know. I know” I admitted as I scratched my neck. “But you can get her some sort of training to deal with that right?” I asked as he nodded.

“Look Robin” he said sternly as he leaned forward and he forced me to look at him. “I can help you with some things but it can’t all fall on me to make the romance between the footballer and the escort sound real”

“So what are you suggesting?” I asked slightly confused about the situation.

“I’m suggesting that you make this romance sound real. Get her mixed into your world and make her understand what being Robin van Persie’s girlfriend and future wife involves”

“I can do that” I said confidently as I stood up and prepared to walk out.

“Oh Robin one more thing” Ari yelled as I stood by the door.

“Learn the future Mrs van Persie’s real name because nothing says lady of the night quite like having the nickname of a cartoon character”

***

“No. Just… no” Daley exclaimed as I let him know the happenings of the past few days.

“I’m not asking your permission Daley. I’m merely letting you know as my best friend what is happening in my life” I informed him as he shook his head no.

“You’re an idiot Robin van Persie. Idiota. You are meant to sleep with the hooker not fall in love with her. What do you think this is? Pretty Woman?” he yelled at me as I took deep breathes trying to calm myself. “This girl, she lives of making men submit to her and you are trying to wife her? For what? because you are lonely and think you are in love with her?”

“I don’t think it I know it” I snapped back at him.

“And how do you know that? Because the sex lasts longer than an hour?” he questioned as I opened my mouth to answer. “Yes Robin I know how long the sex with her last and how good it is but you didn’t see me willing to give it all up so I could make her my wife” he continued to rant at me.

“Daley I know what im doing” I said firmly as he shook his head.

“Do you Robin? You’ve know this girl three months and now you are trying to make her your wife. I know you are pissed at Bouchra for the way she left you and how she is marrying that Russian rich old dude but this is not the way to get over her. Take time to heal and get over your break up with her. Don’t try and replace her with someone else” he pleaded but I shook my head no.

“I’m not trying to soothe some wound by marrying Minnie. I do love her” I snapped at him as we stood toe-to-toe.

Daley eyed me up for a couple more minutes before stepping back and taking a deep breathe.

“I’m not going to fight with you about this Robin, you’ve obviously made up your mind. And as much as I don’t like your decision I’ll support you, what ever you need” he offered as he put his hand out for me to shake.

“Me and her we are gonna last. You’ll see” as Daley nodded his head reluctantly, I knew he didn’t believe me but I didn’t need his confidence.

I love Minnie and she will eventually realise she loves me back.

*

“Honey I’m home” I teased as I finally made it home where I found Minnie siting uncomfortably on the couch. “Hey are you ok?” I asked as I watched her face look at me in trepidation.

She just nodded yes but I could tell she was lying.

I kneeled down so we were eye-level before I asked again how she was.

“I’m just feeling a little weird you know? I lived in a crapped two-bedroom apartment now after I walk into two rooms I feel lost” she laughed as I held onto her cheeks.

“Babe do you want a tour and a map of the house until you feel comfortable?” I offered as she nodded shyly.

“I know its stupid but I’ve never lived in a house…this big” she added as if she was revealing to much.

At her hesitation at that statement, I knew there was no better time to do what Ari had instructed me as I left his office.

“Learn the future Mrs van Persie’s real name because nothing says lady of the night quite like having the nickname of a cartoon character”

“Minnie can I ask you something?” I began as I stood up and sat next to her on the couch.

“Can you ask it to me tomorrow I’m really tired” she pleaded as she tried to stand up.

“Actually it can’t” I confessed as I pulled her towards me.

“Fine what is it?” she snapped as she gave an exaggerated sigh.

“Why do you call yourself Minnie because I know for damn sure that’s not your real name” I teased as she shook her head in laughter.

“You know most people tend to ask the girl her name before they ask for her hand in marriage” she added as she tried to deflect my question.

I kept quiet, as I looked her in the eye waiting for a response.

“Fine. My real name is Riley September. I gave myself nickname Minnie because when I was a kid that was the character I looked up to when everything was falling apart for me” she explained as she bit her lip.

“What was falling apart?” I pushed further hoping to make some sort of break through with her.

She opened her mouth to reply bit quickly shut it as she stood up.

“You know what Robin I think that’s enough for today. I’m really tired. Chat tomorrow” she rushed to say as she walked up the stairs and leaving me confused.

What had happened to her as a kid and why, despite me obviously knowing nothing about her, did I still want to marry her?
♠ ♠ ♠
To be continued…