Status: On-going

Change Your Life

Chapter 6

What’s up Kitty Kat. Long time no chat. Don’t you miss me?

-J

My breathed hitched as I re-read the message and I realised who it was from. After 3 years of not hearing from him, for some reason, John had somehow found my numbers and was now contacting me.

But why now? Especially with everything starting to go so well in my personal life?

“Babe I want you to meet someone” Robin interrupted me as a pale man walked towards us.

Robin gripped my hand as he pushed me to walk a little further to meet this man.

“Riley this is my club captain Wayne and his wife Colleen. Wayne, Colleen this is my fiancé Riley” he beamed as the three of us all exchanged handshakes.

As small talk was traded between the three of them, I couldn’t help but keep quiet because none of the things they talked about related to me and things I knew about.

Colleen seemed to notice my silence as she quickly interrupted the boys before taking my hand and leading us away.

“You don’t have to be so shy darling” the brunette woman teased as she called a waiter towards her.

She quickly grabbed two glasses of champagne off the tray before turning to me.

“Now Robin hasn’t told me much about you why is that?” she began to quiz as she sipped on her drink.

I wanted to answer by saying because he was ashamed off me but my brain and mouth didn’t seem to be working in conjunction as the words left my mouth.

“I guess maybe because we haven’t known each other a long time. I didn’t want him to get carried away with telling people about us if we weren’t going to last” I lied as she nodded.

“I don’t blame you or him for trying to keep things quiet. I mean after what that bitch Bouchra did to him I’m just glad that he has found some happiness” Colleen blabbed as I blushed.

“So you busy tomorrow?” she continued to chat as I realised I would be happy just to listen.

“Not really. Is there something you need?” I questioned suspiciously.

“Need? No. but I’d love it if we could hang out. Me and some of the wives tend to have lunch and shop together at least twice a week, maybe you can join us tomorrow considering your are practically a member of the family now?”

“I don’t want to impose” I said in an attempt to get out of this lunch date.

“Oh it wouldn’t be an imposition” she interrupted me as she took my phone and quickly put in her number. “I’ll pick you up tomorrow at around 11 and you better be ready” she beamed as she put her phone away. “Now if you’ll excuse me, my husband seems to have moved on from beer to spirits, this will not end well” she said worryingly before rushing towards Wayne side and pulling him away from the bar.

I was still taking in the two of them in when I was interrupted by the sight of a blonde man I hadn’t seen in a year.

“Daley” I breathed as the Dutch man looked me up and down in disgust.

“Minnie we need to talk…now” he said with a straight face as he took my wrist and dragged me out of the room.



I tried as best I could, to make a discreet exit from the main area of the party without causing a scene, but from the panicked expression on Minnie’s face, I knew I had failed in doing that.

“Tell Robin you won’t marry him” I stated once Minnie and I stood on the porch of Robin’s house.

“I’ve tried but he is determined to make me an honest woman” she explained as I snorted.

“You an honest woman? Now I’ve heard it all” I mocked as her eyes looked at me in shock.

I would have apologised for my statement but remembering what had happened between her and me, no apology would leave my lips.

“We both know you don’t love him Minnie, stop pretending you do. He is still vulnerable after his break up and you’re just a rebound”

She didn’t disagree with me as she nodded her as if accepting it as fact that Robin was still in love with Bouchra.

“Come on Minnie, don’t act like you’ve changed. We both now you are nothing but a chancer that will do anything to get what she wants, even blackmailing a heartbroken man just so you can get your pleasure” I goaded her as she looked down in disappointment.

“I’ve changed Daley. And I’m sorry for what I did to you but I’m a different person now. I care for Robin. And while I still think he has feelings for Bouchra, I really think I can help him move on”

“I’ve already moved on” a voice said behind us as a fuming Robin looked between the two of us.

Behind him stood a furious Mika, who glared back at me.

“Daley get back here…now” she ordered me as she turned to Robin to apologise.

Like an apologetic puppy I followed behind my fiancé, hoping she wouldn’t yell at me too much.

“Mika…I’m so…”

“I don’t want to hear it” she snapped as she turned around “We’ll address this later. For now I’m just going to say bye to our friends” she said more calmly before plastering a fake smile and walking back into the living room.



“I can explain” I began to say to Robin but he shook his head before leaning forward and wrapping his arms around me.

“Riley, I know you think we are moving to fast but I swear to you I won’t hurt you. I love you and I promise everyday to prove it to you. I’ll protect you from everything bad that’s ever happened and I’ll spend the rest of my life loving you” he added adamantly as he leaned forward and attached our lips.

As we pulled apart, he gave me a few minutes to fix myself before joining our newfound friends for the rest of the party.

As I took a few more calming breathes, as the phone I held in my hands buzzed, signalling I had received a message.

Lover boi gives a nice speech but it’s a shame he doesn’t know how much you’re really capable of when you’re on your knees.

-J

As I gripped my phone, I realised that Robin was wrong.

There was nothing he could do to protect me from the mistakes of my past.
♠ ♠ ♠
To be continued…