All Monsters

So Very Nice to Meet You

At around 12:15 p.m., Effy wandered through the courtyard, trying to find a good spot to relax in peace. All day, Effy dealt with boys approaching her and trying to pitch themselves to her. As if she would date them, anyway. But by now, Effy was used to all the attention she garnered, regardless of the fact that she preferred to be the watcher than the watched. She settled on a spot in the center of the courtyard; an island of sorts, that had wilted trees and grass surrounded by concrete walls and benches. Effy propped herself up on the wall, sitting cross-legged in front of a tree as she ate the free apple the lunch lady gave her. To her right, three girls talked loudly about some party they went to over the weekend.

“So I let him.”

“Do coke off your nipples?”

“They were numb for like two days.” Effy chuckled to herself, feeling slightly better about being there, and making note to find out whoever hosts parties like that.

She couldn't contain her smile when she spotted Violet, walking coolly in a black hat and a reddish lace dress, smoking a cigarette. We'll get along fine. Effy was just about to wave her over, before the middle girl named Leah angrily approached her.

“Hey! Student council passed a rule against smoking in public spaces.” You just...talked about coke – what? Effy watched amused and curious as to what Violet was going to do.

“Secondhand smoke kills.” Violet calmly put out her cigarette with her boot.

“I'm new, I didn't know.”

Leah gasped at the ground, an incredulous look crossing over her face, before she picked up the butt, “What the hell is wrong with you? People sit here. They eat here.” Effy uncrossed her legs, getting ready to jump in if this went south.

“You don't know me. Why are you doing this?” One of Leah's friends smugly answered for her, shooting Violet a condescending look.

“Leah's grandmother died of lung cancer. She takes this stuff pretty seriously.” Oh fuck me. Effy rolled her eyes, pushing herself up and swinging her legs over the ledge.

“Eat it – eat it or I'm gonna kick the shit out of you.”

“What the fuck...” Effy whispered to herself.

“No,” Violet protested, eying the still burning end of the cigarette.

“Come on, Leah. That's enough,” her other friend interjected, slightly worried.

“No! No, no, I want to see her eat it.” Leah grabbed the back of Violet's neck, forcing it forward so that she could stuff the cigarette in her mouth. Violet screamed, struggling against her and finally getting her to let go by spitting in her face. She ran away smiling. And for a split second, she made eye contact with Effy who was smirking back.

“You are dead! You are dead!” Leah screeched. Effy got up and walked over to her, unimpressed. Leah glared at her, confusion and rage dominating her expression. “What the fuck do you want?”

“Lucy, right?” Effy smiled, knowingly.

“Leah. Who the fuck are you?” She questioned, a sneer of contempt forming as she spoke.

“You look like a horse when you scrunch up your nose like that,” Effy commented, bored.

“Excuse me?!” Leah yelled in her ear, fists balled up and ready to swing.

“I'll make you a deal, Rocky. You leave that girl alone, and I'll refrain from making your life fall apart. Although, it looks like you're already on your way. Isn't that right –” Effy paused to put one finger on her nostril and imitate snorting.“Lucy?”

While Leah stood there stunned, Effy walked away in the direction Violet ran off in. She had hoped to find her before the bell rang, but didn't spot her until her seventh period of the day, Pre-Calculus. Maths were never Effy's strong suit, and she was admittedly embarrassed to having retake the subject. Violet sat in the second row closest to the door, whilst Effy sat in the back right corner. They smiled at each other, waving happily at knowing someone in school. Effy almost forgot, this was Violet's first day too.

“Now, I want you to pair up with someone and introduce yourselves. Get acquainted, exchange contact information – you're gonna need it.” Once the class got up, multiple people walked towards Effy's desk. Violet sat and watched, amazed at how many people seem to be drawn to her. Effy got up whilst the lot argued over who got there first, and sat down next to Violet. She held out her hand in greeting and shook Violet's.

“So very nice to meet you.” They laughed.

“Looks like you're having a good first day,” Violet peered at the boys still arguing over at her empty desk. Effy rolled her eyes.

“It's nothing I'm not used to. It gets old, trust me.”

“But everyone wants to be near you, they want to know you. How does that get old?”

“I don't get to choose who approaches me in public, who talks about me or who looks at me. My day is solely based on the whims of other people,” Effy explained. “Does that make sense?” Violet nodded solemnly, knowing exactly what she meant. “And how's your first day? You know, besides the three musketeers at lunch?” Violet visibly cringed, looking embarrassed, yet still annoyed.

“It sucks. I just want to go home already.”

“I don't. There's no one there. Mum's been having late nights at the office lately.”

“Oh, really? What does she do?” Effy scoffed, turning towards the door and staring out into the hall.

“Hell if I know. We only talk about seeing your dad and how much better life is here. Although, she doesn't want to admit that it's only better for her, but hey.” Violet looked down at her hands, fidgeting nervously.

“Did you wanna come over? I don't know if my mom would be okay with it, but if your mom hasn't been home that much, I think my dad would prefer you to be with us.”

“Okay. Okay cool. I'll meet you over by the bike racks and we can walk there.” The girls exchanged smiles, utterly relieved to not be alone and to have something to look forward to.

When they walked out together at the end of class, Jackson popped up from behind the two, grinning wickedly, as Effy suspected he did often. She stopped to turn to him, shaking her head.

“Are you stalking me now?” Violet watched silently, feeling her heart beat wildly in her chest at the guy obviously flirting with Effy. It just seemed so easy for her. She literally did nothing and the people just came to her. What am I doing wrong?

“Possibly. I figured it might be wise to escort the new girl to class. Since I'm heading there anyway, you know.”

“Right,” she stated with a wry smile. Jackson turned to Violet, nodding to her and waiting expectantly.

“Don't be rude Elizabeth. Introduce me to your beautiful friend here.” Effy turned to Violet, noting the blush creeping on her cheeks.

“Jackson, this is Violet. Violet, Jackson.” She motioned between the two as they shook hands.

“I don't remember seeing you before. Are you new too?”

“Uh, yeah. Just moved from Boston.”

“What? Why would you come here, then?” Violet gave him a wide smile and instantly felt comfortable with him.

“I know right? It's much cooler on the east coast.”

“Literally,” Jackson chimed. Effy punched him lightly on the shoulder.

“Come on. We're gonna be late. See you later, yeah?” Effy called back to Violet, who nodded enthusiastically. Jackson winked at her playfully, remaining eye contact.

“I sure hope so.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Tate is definitely in the next chapter, sorry. I just wanted to build Effy and Vi's relationship so there'd be a reason for Effy to show up on non-session days.