Status: Indefinite Hiatus

Perfectly Imperfect

Frost Hillary

The car was filled with an awkward silence as Spencer's father gave me a ride back to my apartment. I kept my eyes trained to the window as he drove through the slowly dying storm. Rain was pattering on the windows as the windshield wipers squeaked with each passing.

“Frost, has Spencer been helping you out at all?” The older man asked and I dared to look over at him, taking my head off of the hand that I was leaning on. I paused, debating my answer even though I already knew it.

“He has. I helped my father make a connection with another business at a function las--” I began, but he cut me off.

“The same function that I was told you rushed out of?” He said, glancing over at me as I felt my face heat up.

I had no idea how he knew about that, but then again, there could have been a lot of reasons; I didn't know if my parents were reporting everything to them, but I could never be too sure.

I swallowed the lump that was forming in my throat before I stuttered, “Um... Well... Yes.”

He cut his eyes over to me again, sighing loudly as if he was disappointed before saying, “Frost, I'm going to ask you this once again, and I want an honest answer from you: Has Spencer been helping you at all?”

I didn't know what kind of answer the older man wanted from me. I had already told him what I thought and he blatantly ignored the answer. Personally, at the moment I just wanted to curl up in a tight ball and just forget the world, but I knew I couldn't do that, especially with Spencer's father breathing down my neck.

Nothing came out of my mouth before I heard the other male sigh before he moved on to another question, “My wife told me that your mother was frantic when she called to let her know that you were okay. Your mother wouldn't explain what was going on, but from the look that you have on your face right now, you know very well what I'm talking about. If you won't tell me whether or not my son is really helping you, then you can surely tell me what is going on with your family.”

I furrowed my eyebrows in annoyance. Why was this any of his business? For one, Spencer helping me wasn't his idea is the first place; I could understand why he was curious, but truthfully, I didn't think either of our parents should interfere with what Spencer and I have worked on. Second, Mr. Brennan really had no place wondering why my mother was frantic. Besides, it wasn't like I was just going to open up to him like I probably would with his son; for all I knew, he could know nothing about this ominous institution and the warning that I had received.

“If you're so curious then do tell me; why is Spencer so perfect?” I almost snapped, not caring at the moment how disrespectful I was being.

Mr. Brennan's eyes trailed over to me and he became silent, his grip tightening on the steering wheel before he muttered, “We're almost at your apartment. When we get there, I advise you to get out of the car and not say a single thing about this conversation. Do you understand, boy?”

I didn't respond back to him at all. Instead, my eyes wandered back to the window, watching the lights pass by the car.

---

A bright light filled my bedroom as I slowly opened my eyes. I didn't remember falling asleep last night, let alone even coming home. There was something faint in the back of my mind as an unfamiliar scent filled the air; something floral, but not too sweet. I rolled over, finding a small pile of clothes on the other side of the bed and I pulled them close to me, taking in their smell before wrapping the shirt around my bare chest.

I didn't question why there was a random pair of clothes that I've never seen before in my life – or have I – but I enjoyed their scent and there was something about the shirt that was just a tad bit too large for me that made my heart skip.

That's when it hit me whose clothes these belonged to and I almost threw the shirt halfway across the room.

“What the hell?” I muttered to myself, sitting up and rubbing my eyes before I finally tried to piece together what happened last night, why Spencer's clothes were laying in my bed, and why I was just snuggling them as if they were that precious teddy bear that I had carried around when I was a small child.

As I glanced over at the bedside table, my eyes landed on a wineglass and a half empty bottle before slowly I remembered. After Spencer's father dropped me off at my house last night, I happened to open the bottle of wine that my mother had given me as a “housewarming” gift and downed half the crimson liquid before passing out; not before practically pulling Spencer's clothes off my body and throwing them down on my bed though.

My eyes trailed back to the shirt that was now laying on the floor and I thought about how I was holding it so close a moment ago. It just seemed so important to me there for a few moments before I realized what it was and who owned it... or maybe it didn't matter who owned it.

Now that I was thinking about it, I kind of wanted Spencer near me, but... why? Why did I want the older male near me? I mean, it wasn't like I was gay or anything like that, and for all I knew, I had never had an attraction to anyone; not even girls. I had noticed that he had been my muse as of late, and I had pictured his face while drawing countless of times, but now that I was sitting and thinking about it...

My phone vibrated, sliding into the wineglass before pushing it slightly. I picked up the device before it could knock the glass off the table and glanced down at the notifications, only seeing that I had more than enough missed calls from my parents.

Slowly, I swiped away the alerts, ignoring them before scratching my head. I climbed out from under the covers, dropping the phone down onto the bed before grabbing a pair of sweatpants that I had left on the floor a couple of nights ago; it didn't really matter how long they had been in the floor, but my legs were cold and I was too lazy to drag something out of the closet.

I yawned loudly, walking towards the kitchen, dragging my fingers through my white hair as I knew that the one thing I needed the most right now is caffeine. I shuffled across the hardwood floor, searching through the cabinets for the things that I needed before there was a knock on my front door.

Mentally, I groaned, walking towards the doorway with my fingers crossed that it wasn't my parents standing there. I didn't even think to look through the little peephole as I undid the door's chain and lock before opening it up a crack to see Spencer standing there, a pile of clothes in his hands.

His blue eyes stared at me as I opened the door a little more, allowing him to come in as he muttered, “I'm assuming that you just got out of bed?”

I glanced over at him, my face heating up to a bright red as I noticed how disheveled I looked when I caught my reflection in a nearby mirror. Here he was, always dressed to his absolute perfection, and then there was me; hair sticking up three million directions, dark circles under my eyes, a hungover look on my face, and to top it all, I was half-naked.

“I'll be back in a moment,” I muttered, rushing out of the room before shutting my bedroom door behind me. My cheeks were still burning as I heard him sigh from the other room and I rushed to pull a shirt out of the closet, my eyes trailing over to the one still laying in the floor.

I tried to get ready as quickly as I possibly could, putting on an old ratty t-shirt, and making a frail attempt to brush the cowlicks out of my hair. When I came out of the room about ten minutes later, I heard Spencer call out, “Are you feeling well, Frost?”

I drug my feet heading back to the kitchen before saying, “I'm fine,” and hoping that he would refrain from asking anymore questions until I came back into the room that he was currently standing in. Slowly, I returned back to my original task before Spencer showed up, pulling down my usual mug. I stood there for a long moment, watching the dark liquid brew before calling out towards the living room, “How do you take your coffee?”

Spencer was silent for a moment before he spoke up, “Two sugars and a little bit of milk.”

I scrunched up my nose, trying to figure out how people drank their coffee other than black, but I just shook my head as I poured him a cup. I fixed it the way he preferred it before pouring myself some and grabbed the two mugs, heading off to the living room.

When I stepped into the small area near the entrance, I saw Spencer sitting on the couch, flipping through the sketchbook that I had left on the coffee table the night before. I noticed how dangerously close he was to those personal sketches that I had made before I dropped both mugs down on the table, spilling hot coffee all over my hands.

My first reaction was to almost jerk the sketchbook out of his hands and he stared up at me in shock as my heart raced in my chest. I looked down at the book, brown liquid now staining the corners as I didn't even wince at the burning sensation on my skin. I was frozen in place before I forced myself to stutter, “S-S-Sorry. That was rude of me to just take that from you... I just... I don't like people touching my sketchbooks; they're kind of private to me.”

The older male just watched me carefully as I turned around, walking out of the room once again and began to head towards my bedroom. I heard my cell phone vibrate on the bed before I threw the book on top of it. I glanced around the room, trying to get my heart to stop racing before I picked up the shirt that I had discarded on the floor and held it close to me for a moment.

It didn't take me too long to calm down before I grabbed the rest of the clothes that I had borrowed, heading out of the room once again only to find Spencer sitting on the couch, his phone out in front of him. I watched for a moment as he was scrolling through something on the screen before he looked up, and I held out the garments to him, muttering, “Thank you for letting me borrow them.”

He nodded his head slowly and I took a seat, grabbing my mug before taking a long sip of the steaming liquid. The two of us were silent for what seemed like forever before he asked, “Is there any chance you'd be interested in learning another lesson today?”

I nodded my head, muttering, “You have to give me time to get ready, but sure; I can never deny a chance of becoming perfect.” The last word came out as slightly sarcastic, but a smirk spread across the older male's lips nonetheless.

“I happened to notice this last night, but I was thinking about taking you out and teaching you some proper dinner etiquette. My mother was complaining to me about yours last night and personally, we both agree that it was horrendous.”

My heart began to race in my chest once again. Of course, he had to mock me to teach me a proper lesson.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is probably trash because I feel like trash. School has killed me and I haven't wrote anything in a good month and a half that wasn't a short story.

Sorry if this is bad, but hey, I wanted to scoot along the plot a tiny bit and just throw Frost's head for a full 360.

Comment/Subscribe/Enjoy!

Lady Phantomhive