Her Reflection

Scene 4

(JABARI enters.)

JABARI
I heard her yelling. What happened, Ann?

DIANE
(DIANE removes her ring, and her voice is shaky.)
I’m sorry, Jay. We can’t get married, not like this. She hates me.
(Tears stream.)
She hates me!

JABARI
(Wipes tears from DIANE’S face.)
She doesn’t hate you. She just doesn’t know your intentions.
(DIANE doesn’t respond.)
I knew it would be hard, but not this hard.
(Places ring back on DIANE’S finger.)
We’re going to get married. We love each other. When two people love each other, they should be married.

DIANE
But…we don’t have her blessing!

JABARI
You’re going to go talk to her again and work this out. If it takes 20 years then so be it, but we ARE getting married. I asked you and you said yes, so we are.
(Points to INA.)
There she is on the swing talking to her friend. Go talk to her. APPEAL to her. She lost her mother, Ann, and that’s one thing you two have in common.

DIANE
(Sighs)
You’re right.

(DIANE walks slowly to the swings, leaving JABARI behind.)
(Enter INA and TARIA.)

INA
Leave me alone, Taria! Your idea is stupid anyway.

TARIA
(Pained face)
I’m still your friend.

INA

Go!

TARIA
(Squeaky voice)
Ok, see you next week? Bye…

(TARIA leaves.)

DIANE
(Sits on swing next to INA.)
Look at that magnificent oak. It’s amazing that just a few months ago, its branches were bare, isn’t it?
(INA ignores her.)
You know, I lost my mom at a young age, too.
(INA looks at DIANE.)
She was a victim of breast cancer. My grandmother helped my dad raise me. You know what she used to tell me?

INA
What?

DIANE
She used to say, “Diane, your mom is in you. When you talk, she is talking. When you walk, she is walking. When you smile that beautiful smile of yours, she is smiling. ‘Cause, you know what? Your mom is in you. You are her legacy. So, when people are looking at you, when people are talking to you, make sure you are a reflection of her so that you won’t be alone in your memory of her, but strangers will know her through you.
(Smiling.)
Now, I’m saying to you, Ina. You are your mother’s legacy. No one can replace her, but you know what? I can bring joy in your life and make that beautiful smile light up, and when that smile lights up, I’ll be looking at a reflection of your mother.