See You at the Show

ten/ten.

Going in for her usual shift, felt different tonight. It was Liam’s last set at the bar before he would be off to America for two months. Two months. Elle plasters on a smile as Liam strolls into the bar before opening with his guitar in his hand. He drops the guitar on his little stage and makes his way over to her.

‘Hey you.’ Liam grins, leaning across the bar to kiss Elle’s cheek. ‘You look pretty tonight.’

‘Hi, thank you.’ She replies as Bobby comes from the back.

For the last hour, Elle had been listening to Bobby set up auditions for the next band or artist to sit on the stage. Elle felt slightly offended listening to Bobby talk. She knew that it wasn’t Liam’s stage, but he definitely graced it like no one else had. Bobby and Liam exchange hellos before Bobby slides over Liam’s final check. ‘I cannot thank you enough for letting me crash at your bar for the last couple of weeks, for several reasons.’ Liam speaks glancing over at Elle as she set up her area for the night.

‘Of course, of course – if you ever want to come back for a night or two, say the word.’ Bobby assures him setting aside his clipboard to hug Liam.

‘Thanks Bob, I appreciate it more than you know.’

Liam directs his attention back to Elle, causing her to nervously smile. Liam didn’t understand why but he made her nervous, it was pretty cute. She places a hand on the roses that covered the top of his hand. She silently allows her fingers to go over the intricate detailing. ‘I am going to miss you around here.’ Elle finally places her eyes on Liam’s.

‘I think that you should go with me.’ Liam blurts, catching Elle by surprise, ‘The two of us in different states every other night, could be pretty fun.’

‘Liam-…’ Elle hesitantly starts as the bar doors open and a group of people head towards her, ‘I can’t leave.’

‘Okay.’ He speaks, slightly offended by Elle’s rejection. Liam nods his head a few times awkwardly before walking towards the stage to get ready. It was worth a shot. Honestly, seeing how he had only known Elle for a matter of weeks, Liam didn’t really expect her to say yes. He was hoping that they could have a little more time together. He was leaving for Los Angeles right after his set tonight because the first show was tomorrow.

‘Are you all packed?’ Elle wonders as she sits on the stage beside Liam, she hated small talk. Just get to the point. She never had to do small talk, not with Liam. It was genuine. ‘For your trip.’ She adds in after a moment of silence.

‘Yeah, everything was already sent to LA.’ Liam answers after a while. ‘Elle, I-..’ Liam starts, but the words don’t find their way out of his mouth. He was trying to prepare a decent, meaningful goodbye in a matter of minutes.

‘I think I know.’ Elle speaks with a short laugh, ‘me too.’

‘Come here.’ Liam stands to his feet and pulls Elle into his arms. She buries her face into his collarbone as he rocks her gently side to side. ‘I want you to know that this was a lot more than just some fling to me. I will always, always be here for you. Call me, text me, whatever. I’m there.’

‘You’re going to do so good, Liam,’ She holds back the oncoming tears, ‘America has no idea what Liam Payne has in store for them. I know that will both probably be in different places in two months but when you get back to London, look for me.’

‘I will.’ Liam promises pressing his lips to her forehead, then her nose, her cheeks, and finally her lips. ‘Don’t go falling for some other act up here either.’

‘I could never.’ She laughs into his shirt, not wanting to let go any time soon. ‘Call me when you land, okay?’

‘Okay.’ Liam kisses her once more before finally releasing her. Instantly the two of them felt a wave of emptiness wash over the room. ‘Bye, Elle.’

‘Goodbye Liam.’

Elle waits a solid twenty minutes before dragging herself to her car to go home. It felt surreal. It didn’t hit her until she got the bar early the next day to see Bobby auditioning for other acts. A group of people were huddled together in the corner of the room, with various instruments lined up at the front. It didn’t matter none of them would ever sound like Liam. He had something unique that couldn’t be replaced or copied.

‘So, what did you think?’ Bobby wonders as the last musician files out of the bar. ‘Any one sticking out at you?’

‘No.’ Elle looks up from the bar, sneaking in a quick sip. ‘Just pick whichever one. Preferably not someone with warm, brown eyes or some smile that melts you within seconds.’

‘I have a feeling that we’re talking about someone specific here. Are you already missing, Liam?’

‘What?’

‘Elle, I love you like a daughter but sometimes you can be an idiot.’ Bobby speaks walking over to the bar area, ‘You like the guy so why the hell are you in here dealing with drunks and scrubbing down dirty tables every night. You have so much damn potential and you’re wasting it. I’ve seen your writing, you’re good. You should be out somewhere writing the next great novel not in this little bar breathing in beer breath and smoke for five hours a night. Please, do not wait the two months for Liam to come back with some other girl. You’ll regret it for the rest of your life.’

‘I have no idea what you’re talking about.’ Elle directs her eyes back to the counter, not wanting to get into the discussion of boys with her boss.

‘Whatever you say.’

Somewhere in Los Angeles, Liam was getting ready for his very first show in the states. He peeks out at the small venue, dozens of eyes fixated on the stage. They were here for the main act, but Liam was hoping he could entertain them for the next thirty minutes. He hated just how screwy the time difference was. It was nearly three in the morning back in London so there was no way he could interrupt Elle’s slumber. God, he wished she had just agreed to come with him. The last thing he wanted to do was force her, but a little more persuasion wouldn’t have necessarily hurt.

‘Liam, you’re up!’ Some large man calls, nearly shoving Liam out on the stage. The audience stares at him curiously, wondering who this mysterious stranger was.

‘Hi, everybody.’ Liam speaks nervously into the microphone, ‘I’m Liam and I’m going to play for you guys for a little bit if that’s alright.’ The more he sung, the looser he got. The audience seemed the same. A couple of people were swaying along with the slower songs. When he got off the stage, he got a pretty decent amount of applause. ‘What a rush.’ He muses to himself as he dries his face with a white towel. He couldn’t wait to call Elle later on to fill her in on this. ‘Thanks everyone, goodnight!’ Liam waves to all of the crew members as he follows his manager Charlie out the side door to get in the car waiting in the front of the venue. The next show was in San Francisco tomorrow night. Liam sends Elle a quick text that she’d probably see once she finally woke up. He smiles to himself thinking of how cute she looks when she’s sleeping. What a sight.

‘Liam, you ready for night two?’ Charlie slaps his back wildly as he gets ready for the show. ‘I have a great feeling about you, I always have.’

‘Thanks, man.’

‘This is my second show, so excuse me if I’m a bit rubbis-…’ Liam drops open his mouth, literally, as his eyes fall on Elle at the front row. Liam squints trying to read the sign in her hands.

Liam Payne’s #1 Fan

His entire set, Elle happily dances along, never taking her eyes off of him. Liam attempts to hold back his wide smile all night long as he watches her. The moment he’s finished he leaps from the stage to scoop her up into his arms. ‘Hi, you.’ She simply says pressing her lips to his.

‘Hey you.’ Liam replies, already making plans in his head of all the places the two of them would see together in America.
♠ ♠ ♠
A/N:
I want to take a second to say that I'm thinking of those affected by the events in Las Vegas, Puerto Rico, and all other places as well as their loved ones during these tragic times.

Secondly, thank you for following along with this short story! It took a while but it's finally finished. I hope that you've enjoyed it thus far and that you will check out my other stories. Hope everyone has a safe and wonderful day! (: