See You at the Show

four/ten.

The next day, Liam’s girlfriend Claudia agrees to watch his set with her friends. Liam didn’t particularly like Claudia’s friends – they were constant drama and chaos. All that mattered was that Claudia was finally acknowledging what he wanted to do. Elle sits down on the stage where Liam plays every night on her phone. Her on-again-off-again boyfriend Travis kept texting her to meet up after work tonight. Any other time she’d jump at the opportunity to spend time with Travis but something was stopping her. It was Liam. In the short time they had known each other Elle found herself falling for him. Hard and fast.

‘Hey, are you feeling okay?’ Bobby wonders from across the bar as he wipes down the tables.

‘Yeah, just thinking.’ Elle calls back stretching out across the stage, ‘How do you know if you actually like someone or if it’s just some childish crush?’

‘Who are you talking about? Liam?’

‘Thanks for the help Bob.’ Elle retreats, feeling an anxious feeling in the pit of her stomach.

Liam shows up about twenty minutes before doors open dressed in a tight pair of black jeans and a long black sleeve shirt pushed up to his elbows displaying his tattoos. Elle runs her suddenly clammy palms on her jeans as she kicks herself from the stage.

‘Hey Elle.’ Liam speaks while setting his guitar down on the bar. ‘How’s it going?’

‘It’s going.’ Elle responds, feeling nervous around Liam. ‘Are you ready for your set?’

‘Yeah, yeah – I’m trying out a few new songs tonight and Claudia’s coming tonight so hopefully it all goes good.’

‘Claudia’s coming? That’s great.’ Elle plasters a smile onto her face, ‘I’m happy that she’s coming out to support you.’

‘Thanks.’ Liam offers Elle a smile from across the bar, running a hand through his almond-colored hair. All Liam could think about was that moment they had last night. Even though he was merely pretending to be Elle’s boyfriend, he enjoyed it. The way she wrapped her arms around his neck while he held her by her curvy waist. She smelled so alluring and nice. ‘I only have a few more days here.’

‘Do you have anything else lined up?’

‘Actually, I do.’ Liam smiles feeling pleased, ‘I’ve gotten a couple of calls. There’s some other bars that want me to do a few sets here and there.’

‘Well look at you. You’ll be on your very own headlining tour before you know it.’ Elle congratulates Liam, hating that he’d be leaving soon. She had gotten so used to seeing him every day. He actually made it more enjoyable to come to work.

‘What will you do without me here?’ Liam teases running a hand across his speckled brown stubble.

‘I have no idea.’

Soon the doors were open and Liam was on stage singing. Halfway into his second set Claudia struts into the bar with her friends, getting second glances from nearly every guy in the bar. She was gorgeous and she knew it. Once Liam is finished with his song and goes to take a brief intermission she throws her arms around him proudly. Elle’s eyebrows knit together as she watches the two share a deep kiss with one another. Elle pulls out her phone to send Travis a quick text saying she’ll be over after work. All she wanted was to get over Liam, even if that meant listening to Travis groan on and on about his “band” for a few hours.

‘I’m telling you babe, Elle can make every kind of drink imaginable. She’s amazing.’ Elle overhears Liam says as he guides his girlfriend to the bar by her waist. Amazing. Liam called her amazing. She bites back a smile as Claudia annoyingly taps against the bar as she studies the menu.

‘I will take the cosmo, it looks really good.’

‘Coming right up.’ Elle turns her back to Claudia nibbling on Liam’s neck as if she wasn’t right in front of them. ‘Here you are.’

‘Thanks Elle.’ Liam smiles sliding a few bills over to her, then following behind Claudia who went to meet up with her friends in the corner of the room.

I’ll be waiting – Travis.

Elle throws her head back with frustration, wondering what she just got herself into. She didn’t want to see Travis. She actually didn’t want anything to do with him. It was something to keep her mind off Liam. Across the bar, Liam was sat with Claudia as she gossiped with her pack of friends who were already sloppy drunk.

‘Alright, we’re going to go.’ She shouts over all the talking in the crowded bar after downing her Cosmopolitan.

‘Wait, you’re leaving?’ Liam blinks, not surprised but disappointed. ‘Didn’t you just get here?’

‘I know baby, I’m sorry. We made plans to hit up that new club downtown.’ Claudia whines, batting her eyelashes at Liam, ‘I can’t disappoint the girls.’

‘Just me, right?’ Liam scoffs, feeling hot with anger.

‘Baby don’t be like that. I promise that I’ll make it up to you tonight. All night.’ The last time Claudia made that promise to Liam she puked while attempting to do a strip-tease.

‘Hey, C – the cab’s outside! Let’s go!’ one of her minions tugs on her arm, nearly falling over in the process.

‘Just go. You have more important things to do.’

Claudia is sure to press her lips to his cheek before scurrying out the bar with her friends. Even though Liam was disheartened that Claudia failed to support him yet again, an exciting feeling raced through him as he walks over to Elle.

‘Hey, did Claudia just leave?’ Elle cautiously questions, not wanting to seem to thrilled about his girlfriend’s absence.

‘Yeah she’s going to a new club downtown.’ Liam scoffs, ‘Could I possibly get a whiskey neat.’

‘Are you okay?’ Elle wonders, sliding the short glass over to him.

‘Yeah, yeah – I’m fine. Used to it actually. Thank you for the drink though.’ He goes into his wallet but Elle fans him off.

‘That one is on the house.’

‘I better get back up there. Thanks again Elle.’ He takes his drink to the front of the room and sits down on his usual stool to start another song.

Elle groans with relief when the final customers stagger out of the bar. She happily wipes down the bar and then makes her way to the vacant tables. Liam packs up his guitar and finishes off his drink. Bobby is in the back, putting tonight’s money into the safe as he did every night.

‘Here’s your glass.’ Liam runs a hand through his thick, dark hair messing it up in the process. ‘Do you think it’s possible to fall out of love with someone?’ Liam blurts out as Elle’s removing her apron to stash it beneath the bar.

‘I’ve fallen out of love with someone before, I would say it’s possible.’ She nods a few times, ‘Do you know that feeling you get when you first start seeing someone? The one where all you want to do is spend every second with them or how you can’t breathe until you see them again. Then when you do finally see them, you feel like you’re floating on clouds and have those annoyingly amazing tingles all over your body. I think when you lose that, it’s over.’ Elle speaks drinking the last of her drink, for liquid courage.

‘And what happens when you’re with someone but you’re feeling all those annoyingly amazing feelings for someone else.’

As Elle goes to respond, Liam leans over the bar grabbing her by her face to kiss her hard. She melts against his touch running her hands through his hair, destroying it even more. He practically lifts her over the bar where she wraps her legs around his toned torso and her arms around his neck. They briefly slide apart to rush out of the bar together, not bothering to say goodnight to Bobby. In a muttered conversation, they agreed to go to Elle’s flat since it was only ten minutes away. Liam kicks her door closed as Elle drags him down the narrow hallway into her bedroom. He runs his large, cool hands over her skin after tossing her shirt across the room. She moans restlessly into the kiss kicking out of her pants while simultaneously ripping Liam’s shirt over his head. He leaves messy kisses all over Elle’s skin as he explores each and every inch. Another stifled squeal falls from her lips as Liam flings her bra behind him. Deep down the two of them knew just how reckless and stupid this was but they couldn’t bring themselves to stop.